Successful season wo Rodgers

How many wins will make you say it was successful wo rodgers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jags will have no problems selling tickets after drafting Trevor Lawrence. I'm pretty sure they are almost as far down the list as the Chiefs in their desire to trade for Rodgers.
I wasn't meaning them specifically because of Lawrence...I was merely using them as an example since they have historically been at the bottom in ticket and merchandise sales

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of that draft capital also takes ticket, merchandise, and prime time TV slots into account. Even if Rodgers falls off drastically beginning this season, don't you think it is in the best interest of a team like the Jags to sell the farm for him? They would finally sell tickets, merch, regularly get on prime time TV, and make a KILLING for a few years.

I highly doubt another team is interested in trading for Rodgers just to sell some tickets and merchandise.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we were favored at home in the playoffs and Vick...

I was there...my first real Packers game...had been to one pre season game before that.

On drive to Lambeau my brother and I saw some fans on the side of the road with a sign saying they wanted to buy tickets. We thought about selling em right then and there and turning around because we had a bad feeling about the game.

For one reason dumb *** safety who will not be named...was out for the game because he tried to return an int from the packer 15 or so at a meaningless point in the final regular season game against the bills I believe. Knowing he was out and Vick was in town equaled bad news. I think if that guy plays they win that game

That blocked punt at the very beginning was right in front of us wtf haha but the play I remember most was vick on the sideline with kgb on his back and next thing you know hes gone for a huge run smh

But I don't agree that game ruined the Lambeau home field advantage...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make me say it was successful without Rodgers....that is too large to answer. I would personally set my goal around .500 - if Love showed serious chops and kept us in games and even lost 8 but say 5 or 6 of those were less than a touchdown difference one could argue the growing pain year was a success - but no one would label the 2021 season a success for sure.

I would think we would need to make the playoffs and be the 2nd or best team in the division when the dust settles for anyone to desire to use the word a success.

Shoot there are TONS of fans that feel Rodgers has only had one successful season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make me say it was successful without Rodgers....that is too large to answer. I would personally set my goal around .500 - if Love showed serious chops and kept us in games and even lost 8 but say 5 or 6 of those were less than a touchdown difference one could argue the growing pain year was a success - but no one would label the 2021 season a success for sure.

I would think we would need to make the playoffs and be the 2nd or best team in the division when the dust settles for anyone to desire to use the word a success.

Shoot there are TONS of fans that feel Rodgers has only had one successful season.

The Rodgers led Packers have had only one truly successful season...the rest are varying degrees of success mixed with failure in the end...

I do agree if Love had a season like Rodgers first as a starter even, I think 6-10, but played like a legit franchise guy and had a lot of close losses. I think everybody would be really excited for 2022 and beyond...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I don't agree that game ruined the Lambeau home field advantage...

Obviously, ruining home field advantage is subjective, but because they were 11-0 prior to that and (including that game) 7-6 since then, I'd say the mystique/HFA was severely damaged. :)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I think they had several during the Gory Years, when nobody expected anything from them. Since then, with minor exceptions, we've started the year (at least) in the running for SB, so not making it means, yes, it wasn't a successful year for us.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Isn't that the truth and rather pathetic that some feel that success is perceived to be achieved by only 1 team each year in the NFL?

I said 5-8 wins and that is such a wide margin, as well as "how did they win or lose those games" that it doesn't mean much.

I think a successful post Rodgers first season, wouldn't really be measured by wins or loses but more by seeing a team play relatively well without a FHOF QB, as well as see his replacement not look like Brett Hundley in the process. Bortles isn't going to lead this team to the playoffs IMO, nor do I think Love would either, so I would view the season as one spent carefully giving Love enough work, but not too much. Let Bortles run the first half and if the offense is sputtering, bring in Love for the second half.

I know some feel that with or without Rodgers this team will be competing for the Super Bowl, I just don't see that happening in 2021 without Rodgers. Even with Rodgers, its always going to be dependent on things breaking the Packers way with injuries for both them and their opponents. All one has to do is look at the 49'ers 2020 season to see how fast that got derailed.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth and rather pathetic that some feel that success is perceived to be achieved by only 1 team each year in the NFL?

I said 5-8 wins and that is such a wide margin, as well as "how did they win or lose those games" that it doesn't mean much.

I think a successful post Rodgers first season, wouldn't really be measured by wins or loses but more by seeing a team play relatively well without a FHOF QB, as well as see his replacement not look like Brett Hundley in the process. Bortles isn't going to lead this team to the playoffs IMO, nor do I think Love would either, so I would view the season as one spent carefully giving Love enough work, but not too much. Let Bortles run the first half and if the offense is sputtering, bring in Love for the second half.

I know some feel that with or without Rodgers this team will be competing for the Super Bowl, I just don't see that happening in 2021 without Rodgers. Even with Rodgers, its always going to be dependent on things breaking the Packers way with injuries for both them and their opponents. All one has to do is look at the 49'ers 2020 season to see how fast that got derailed.
I'm a Super Bowl or bust type of fan no matter the team, but your opposing opinion on this matter has been the most level-headed and convincing I've seen.

I will still contend that any team is capable of winning with proper coaching and strategy. Furthermore, excellent coaching, strategy, and superstar players can also have a disastrous season for many reasons (injuries, locker room drama, officiating, etc). That is why I cannot agree that we have no chance without Rodgers and also why there is no guarantee we even make the playoffs WITH Rodgers. The odds certainly favor the offense with him but nothing is guaranteed.

But anyway...realistically, you absolutely nailed it with how you would envision next season with Rodgers. Start Bortles and if the team seems unlikely to make the playoffs, start Love for the remainder of the season. Or start Love if he outperformed everyone in pre-season and then put Bortles in if Love isn't winning games. This will likely be an evaluation season if Rodgers leaves and succes should logically correlate to the young players and coaches showing huge leaps in improvement. Heck...a #1 draft pick wouldn't be awful either so long as we beat the Bears twice.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously successfulness is tied to expectations. If you expect a team to go 8-8 and miss the playoffs at best and they go 12-4, win the division and make it to the NFCC game I think most people would consider that a successful season even if they lose in that game. On the other hand if you expect a team to win it all and they don't you will likely consider it a failed season.

Personally I would never expect the Packers to win it all. There are simply too many variables involved on our own team let alone 31 other teams all competing for the same goal for that to be a reasonable expectation. Heck, a team can even do everything right but still lose if other team does one thing just a little bit better or they could simply have a bad break and lose.

My expectation over the past 25+ years has been for them to put together a team that had a realistic chance to compete to win everything and for the most part I think my expectations have been met meaning I think it has been a success. My expectations over the next 25+ years will be pretty much the same. Whether it happens or not remains to be seen.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Obviously successfulness is tied to expectations. If you expect a team to go 8-8 and miss the playoffs at best and they go 12-4, win the division and make it to the NFCC game I think most people would consider that a successful season even if they lose in that game. On the other hand if you expect a team to win it all and they don't you will likely consider it a failed season.

Personally I would never expect the Packers to win it all. There are simply too many variables involved on our own team let alone 31 other teams all competing for the same goal for that to be a reasonable expectation. Heck, a team can even do everything right but still lose if other team does one thing just a little bit better or they could simply have a bad break and lose.

My expectation over the past 25+ years has been for them to put together a team that had a realistic chance to compete to win everything and for the most part I think my expectations have been met meaning I think it has been a success. My expectations over the next 25+ years will be pretty much the same. Whether it happens or not remains to be seen.

We think a lot alike in this. I actually also have evolved to a point where I have decided that since I have no skin in the game, meaning I can't control literally one thing that the Packers do, its like watching a movie play out. I can go into that theatre/sit on my couch, expecting to be treated to an Academy award winning performance every time or I can go in and just expect to be entertained because I like the movie subject matter. Seems like approaching it with the latter expectations is more rewarding for me. Doesn't mean I don't want to see the best movie ever made once in awhile, I just don't expect it each time I watch one. On the off chance I see a bad movie, gives me something to **** and moan about the next day :D

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We think a lot alike in this. I actually also have evolved to a point where I have decided that since I have no skin in the game, meaning I can't control literally one thing that the Packers do, its like watching a movie play out. I can go into that theatre/sit on my couch, expecting to be treated to an Academy award winning performance every time or I can go in and just expect to be entertained because I like the move subject matter. Seems like approaching it with the latter expectations is more rewarding for me. Doesn't mean I don't want to see the best movie ever made once in awhile, I just don't expect it each time I watch one.
Again...impressed with how you explain your reasoning and I'm gradually leaning more to your way of thinking. Your analogy is similar to how I feel about metal concerts (I see ~75 bands per year). Unless it is a very rare bucket list band, I generally expect to be disappointed and usually leave with my expectations surpassed 100-fold.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on who the QB is. If we're going with Bottles, then I'd say anything more than 8 is wildly above my expectations.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on who the QB is. If we're going with Bottles, then I'd say anything more than 8 is wildly above my expectations.
I'm actually excited to see what Bortles can do. 3rd pick in the draft. Had some decent stats in several years. A big guy. If Love should be sitting the bench awhile; I'd like to see what Bortles can do with some good protection and some good running and some good LaFleur game planning. Not saying I'm optimistic. But I am excited about that. Assuming ARod get shuffled off to Denver. Don't really want the Las Vegas QB. jmo He is decent but it would detract from Love's maturing imo.

Members online

Latest posts