Studs?? N duds Titans

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - Me for making fabulous Hungarian Sausage

Duds - The front office and coaching staff - The roster decisions both acquiring and releasing players has been very questionable. The coaching staff has not been good from play calling to constant mental mistakes that have cost this team big time, on both sides of the ball. This is a direct result of coaching. How you bring in a DC that did not have the successful track record as a DC to warrant the position Is beyond me. I didn’t like the hire at the time and like it even less now. I think ML gets lost at times during games, and I think he is soft. Ive said it for several weeks now, this entire team is a mess!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter other than my opinion

Was it a good run def or was it bad?
If you really want an answer… I say bad. stopping the run did not accomplish the goal…. to win the game. You want to ignore everything else just to focus on the fact that they chose to die by the pass instead of the run… that‘s not a hard thing to do and certainly doesn’t qualify as stud worthy to me. Stopping the run and still controlling the passing game… would.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It has been hard for me to be critical of MLF in the past, since prior to this season, he was the coach of a team that was doing everything, but winning the big games. This game, he really looked lost. Burning all 3 timeouts with 5 minutes to go, thus losing his ability to challenge, while his offense on the previous series was huddling up and burning the clock, down by 2 scores. I realize the team currently has garbage for a receiver room, but come on, at least show some teeth and fight.

Joe Barry needs to study what a good defense is all about. Even up by 2 scores, Tennessee kept everything in front of them for short, clock burning plays.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you really want an answer… I say bad. stopping the run did not accomplish the goal…. to win the game. You want to ignore everything else just to focus on the fact that they chose to die by the pass instead of the run… that‘s not a hard thing to do and certainly doesn’t qualify as stud worthy to me. Stopping the run and still controlling the passing game… would.
I have an odd way of looking at stuff. My brain is wired diff then most

I’m not ignoring anything

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Exactly. Classic example....Jaire Alexander, who isn't playing the run ALL game, yet gets TORCHED by a rookie in the final minutes on what he assumed would just be a run, that he would stand around and watch.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This team reminds me of the teams of the 80's, the only difference, they supposedly have some of the best players in the NFL at their perspective positions, as well as the highest paid players. Such an underperforming team, it is ridiculous.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. Classic example....Jaire Alexander, who isn't playing the run ALL game, yet gets TORCHED by a rookie in the final minutes on what he assumed would just be a run, that he would stand around and watch.
Agreed… However, while I give no excuse to Alexander for not doing his job, At that point in the game, I think it was a bit bush league to throw that pass instead of just eating up the clock. We had no timeouts except the 2 minute warning… down by 2 scores.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed… However, while I give no excuse to Alexander for not doing his job, At that point in ghe game, I think it was a bit bush league to throw that pass instead of just eating up the clock. We had no timeouts except the 2 minute warning… down by 2 scores.
I would have loved to see the Packers do the same thing, if in the same position. Take no prisoner, it was the final nail, as well as something a rookie (Burks) will probably feed off of. I have watched a few Titans games in the past and was impressed by Vrabel , this game added to that, he is a damn good coach.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - me, for not buying into the hype and emotion and saying Pack would lose this game
Duds - Mark Murphy, Gute and anyone else who thought $150M would fix what was wrong with this team. Now factor in the JA contract and we're screwed for years.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - me, for not buying into the hype and emotion and saying Pack would lose this game
Duds - Mark Murphy, Gute and anyone else who thought $150M would fix what was wrong with this team. Now factor in the JA contract and we're screwed for years.
But we were always told as long as you have Aaron you have a shot

Reaction score
Lots of things to complain about, but I'm going to focus on the 4th and 3 where Rodgers missed Lazard down the sideline. Why does Rodgers seem to regularly go deep on 4th downs? He did this a couple of weeks ago too. You don't convert and the game is probably over. You are much better trying a high-percentage pass rather than a throw 25 yards downfield. I just don't get it.
They’ve been doing that for a year or two now. Also Drives me crazy when it’s 3rd and short in 4 down territory and we have 2 tries for 3 yards and throw a 10+ Pass. Then when we need 10 yard chunks with time expiring we call a 4 yard curl route that burns 15% of the remaining gameclock. Anything under 7-8 yards without stopping the clock is a statistical loss and even a novice fan can do that math

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just see so many varying issues across all 3 phases. It’s hard to watch these guys play because they do make a few plays in between that give us hope. But the more we play, the more dysfunctional We seem.

I realize our #1 OLB, #1 iLB and #2CB are out. But add that our #2 Safety is a complete actor (watch Savage pretend to approach a player to hit them and then let’s up.. let’s others do the dirty work) who’s he fooling He’s on camera?!

DUD:

Poor Defensive scheme
Poor ST discipline
No Offensive consistency
Lack of energy for a game of this magnitude
Ill preparation
poor clock management
poor usage of T.O. ‘s
poor usage of challenge flags
poor finishing drives for points
poor tackling
poor route running by WR‘s
poor throws by QB
poor Kicking on kickoffs and FG units
Poor O gameplan running up the A Gap repeatedly
poor use of RB/TE in the passing game
poor O ability to capitalize on Takeaways
poor allowed starting field position For opponents.
poor 2 minute drill

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just see so many varying issues across all 3 phases. It’s hard to watch these guys play because they do make a few plays in between that give us hope. But the more we play, the more dysfunctional We seem.

I realize our #1 OLB, #1 iLB and #2CB are out. But add that our #2 Safety is a complete actor (watch Savage pretend to approach a player to hit them and then let’s up.. let’s others do the dirty work) who’s he fooling He’s on camera?!

DUD:

Poor Defensive scheme
Poor ST discipline
No Offensive consistency
Ill preparation
poor clock management
poor usage of T.O. ‘s
poor tackling
poor throws by QB
poor 2 minute drill
100% agree, he nailed it perfectly, and he was only watching the game. How everyone on the coaching staff missed this shows that people need to go. They have been making these mistakes for years in some cases, makes no sense that this is acceptable.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Watson
Rodgers 1st 3 quarters
Run defense
Nixon as punt returner

Side note
I think Walker is good as the green dot, it seems he has played better since??

Duds
3rd down def
Rodgers 4th quarter Sammy and Lazard bad passes
3 straight drives in 3rd n 4th, no 1st downs on offense

Clock management again
Another Bad Day At Black Rock.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their whole defense sucks whoever you wanna blame bad coaching bad players idk not much to like besides Clark and Gary..
We miss Campbell as well. We made just a few plays on D. Not enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is Rodgers’ MO. He’ll frequently eschew the short gain in the hopes of getting the home run. Earlier in his career, when he was in his prime and he had better receivers, he’d often get the home run. Now that he’s on the downslope of his career and his receivers aren’t very good, he rarely gets the home run. It’s hard to break old habits though, so he keeps doing it.

FWIW Rodgers ranks fourth in the NFL in passing yards on throws 20+ yards in the air.

They’ve been doing that for a year or two now. Also Drives me crazy when it’s 3rd and short in 4 down territory and we have 2 tries for 3 yards and throw a 10+ Pass. Then when we need 10 yard chunks with time expiring we call a 4 yard curl route that burns 15% of the remaining gameclock. Anything under 7-8 yards without stopping the clock is a statistical loss and even a novice fan can do that math

The Packers faced five third down and short situations vs. the Titans and converted four of them (two running and two throwing the ball). Yet all you focus on is the one they didn't convert. It wasn't the reason the team ended up losing the game by any means though.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's worth much talking about individual players for this game. I think our players are average NFL quality at a lot of positions, a little worse at some, a little better at others. With average coaching the team would be one game on either side of .500. But the coaching on both sides of the ball has been far below average. Hard to say which is worse. The defensive side particularly frustrates me because we've spent a lot of draft capital there. I don't think the players are as bad as they play. Which is down to coaching/scheme. Biggest beef for me: they play pretty well on first and second down. Then we're in a 3rd and 6 . . . and the defense gives a 7 yard cushion. We're in 3rd and 9 . . . and the defense gives a 10 yard cushion. We're in 3rd and 12 . . . and the defense gives a 13 yard cushion. Over and over, every single game. At least it looks that way to me.

I didn't like the Barry hire -- what track record of exceptional performance did he have? And I still don't like it.

That said, if the offense makes a habit of three and out, the defense is going to wear down. And our offensive scheme varies between predictable, boring, predictable, low-percentage and predictable. With an extra helping of low percentage. In my amateur opinion it is not a clever scheme in any dimension. Those long sideways passes for 2 yards. The intermediate sideline throws into tiny windows. The failure to open even the slightest hole for the backs. How much is on Rodgers versus MLF I don't know, but the scheme does not, has not and will not work in today's NFL.

Specifically on Rodgers, he made a couple of perfect throws . . . and then several that were way off the mark. I'm guessing the thumb is a factor. He also passed up chances to scramble for 8-10 yards and heaved it downfield in low percentage situations a couple of times.

Plenty of blame to go around, but at this stage of the season I would say Barry is not a good defensive coach and should be replaced. MLF needs a better offensive coordinator. Rodgers needs to get his thumb healed and make better decisions. These are all the conditions to have a shot at turning it around next year. This year is over.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DUD:

Poor Defensive scheme
Poor ST discipline
No Offensive consistency
Ill preparation
poor clock management
poor usage of T.O. ‘s
poor tackling
poor throws by QB
poor 2 minute drill

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Members online

Latest posts