Straight from the horse's, er, mouth

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Bob McGinn at the Journal-Sentinel ...I ask a question at the end..
-----------------------------------

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers turned down a trade offer from the Cleveland Browns on Saturday that would have brought them another first-round draft choice in 2008.

The Cleveland Browns wanted QB Brady Quinn so much, they offered the Packers a 2008 first-round pick.
Green Bay was among about 10 teams that Browns general manager Phil Savage called in a concerted bid to trade up for a first-round pick and select quarterback Brady Quinn of Notre Dame.

Eventually, the Browns located a trade partner in the Dallas Cowboys and got Quinn. In order to move up from the second round (No. 36) to the first round (No. 22), the Browns gave up their first-round pick next year.

Savage said the Browns, who had used the third selection on Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas, began contacting teams when Buffalo was on the clock at No. 12. Asked if he was close to a deal before Dallas, Savage replied, "Maybe Green Bay."

Having noticed the Packers linked with running back Marshawn Lynch in most mock drafts, Savage guessed that general manager Ted Thompson might be willing to deal the No. 16 selection.

"There were a couple people in our room who were kind of for it," Thompson said. "I didn't dismiss it out of hand but I was never keen to it. We wanted the pick.

"I believe in building and that sort of thing. But I think you have to try to help your team. Quite frankly, I'd rather help us now rather than help us a year from now."
On Saturday, Thompson said he couldn't conceive of a situation in which he would trade a first-round pick in next year's draft.
-----------

So even though few teams saw him as an "elite" player...Thompson thinks he will have an immediate enough impact to give up what is likely to be a high first-rounder next year for a guy with a bum arm and unproven?

Here's another one: The Chiefs want a first and a fourth for Larry Johnson. If the Packers took that deal, they wouldn't have Harrell, but the could have shipped the first next year to the Chiefs and landed Larry Johnson for the equivalent of a fourth round pick and cash. Think about that.

What Ted is saying is Harrell will have more impact than Larry Johnson, Randy Moss isn't worth a fourth, and being well under the salary cap with a team of middle-rounders is better than competing for the Super Bowl this year.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't know anything about what the Chiefs want for Larry Johnson, or if they want to trade him at all. They have denied it so it's pure speculation that we could have got him.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was more than speculation. The Chiefs don't have the money to sign him, it's that simple. They would have to shed a bunch of players to sign him to an extension so he's on the market.

Thompson didn't make the trade, so we have Harrell. We never will have the high first rounder. It's illogical, even using Ted's logic. He likes to build through the draft, so wouldn't you want a high draft pick next year?

In essence, what he is saying is Harrell will be that much of an impact player that he had to have him above all else.

Make sense to you?

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that they wanted a 1st and a 4th is pure speculation, you don't even know if Larry Johnson would want to play in Green Bay, so it's not like Thompson just didn't make the trade.

I think Harrell will be an impact player, I think he will stop the run and help Brett Favre more than any rookie WR in this draft.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop the Run? What about Pickett and Williams? Cole?

It wasn't a priority on this team whatsoever.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They obviously didn't manage to clog up the middle and stop the run last season, so we needed someone to do it. This is where Harrell comes in.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seattle game pyledriver... keep up. its been discussed several times

while pretty good the DTs could always use an upgrade. get over it. Teds right your wrong.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seattle game pyledriver... keep up. its been discussed several times

while pretty good the DTs could always use an upgrade. get over it. Teds right your wrong.
No Teds wrong as are you! While granted DT is more vluable than a WR it isnt more valuable than RB....We needed a RB and should have adressed this issue through trades!

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been watching Harrell and he's pretty damn athletic for a DT.

He moves around like he's 270 pounds but he is a big guy at 300 pounds, he's very fast for his size and extremely athletic. When RBs try to do their moves on him they can't get past him because he stands steady and uses his size and athleticism to catch them.

Reaction score
While granted DT is more vluable than a WR it isnt more valuable than RB....We needed a RB and should have adressed this issue through trades!

Well I don't know if it'd be fair value to give up a first rounder for Turner.

Look at the tape, we got a RB that reminds me a bit of Turner.

Looking at Jackson's highlight video, he makes cutting back look as natural as breathing, and he has solid fundamentals (IE. keeping his legs moving even when getting into a pile).

Jackson is just as fast as Jones-Drew was last year, so he has speed too.

Most importantly, he is coming from a system that was similar to the Packers, so he has a greater chance of contributing right away.

It isn't as if we didn't address the problem at all.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and not that it matters to anyone, and not that it should, but i don't watch much college football, but i am a nebraska fan and it was evident by watching a few games that jackson is a player. i feel good about that pick. ok, bring it on, tell me how wrong i am.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know whether he's a player, but I feel comfortable in saying that being a RB from Nebraska is no longer as impressive as it once was.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OP is basing his opinion on opinions and not facts. Will Harrell be an impact player? Would Larry or Randy have contributed as Packers?

There is always opportunity, and you never get everything on draft weekend. Take what you can and work with it.

For those who like to hate on their GMs, maybe they should consider rooting for the Lions.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the elite "D"'s in this league they are heavily invested in the line. We were stuck in a place there for a while when we had NO high picks along the line.

Going into this draft MANY people talked about the Packers still being shy of a big time player at DT. Pickett is a very good player and is steady as a rock but he is average compared to many of the DT's in our own division.

I get a kick out of how, all of a sudden, we didn't really need another really good player here. Do you not see that this move will allow Jenkins to move out to the end MORE NOW and how much better that line up is.

You might be able to assemble a competitive "0" line thru higher picks that turn out good but seldom do I see a great defense that get's away with higher picks along the line.
When that line is not top flight EVERYBODY behind it gets exposed and the defense faulters. I am FINE with this pick.

You have to be realistic regarding the quality of players you have and what amounts to a back up quality 2nd defensive tackle is not going to cut it. That position is too critical to the play of that whole squad.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
look at the other DTs on top defenses - they are primarily top picks. We have solid vet in Pickett then a bunch of low picks or undrafted guys. Cole was undrafted and is still unproven. Williams looks like he has some potential against the pass but was a 6th rounder who is still a project vs. the run. We needed an impact tackle (esp against the run) and Harrell looks to have that ability.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate all of you. Why does everyone bring up Randy Moss and blame him not coming here on TT. Moss CHOSE the Patriots over the Packers.

Moss didn't want to restructure his bloated contract for the Packers so good riddance. TT sure is a demon.

And LJ? He'll likely only put up those kind of numbers for one or two more seasons. He's already 27.

I liken this pick to the Barnett pick a while back. Solid.

Some people are so hell bent on blaming everything on TT it's getting ridiculous.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i also heard on Cold Pizza that Tom Brady is restructuring his contract to make room for Moss. Let's hear you all blame Brett Favre for not doing that.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
I hate all of you. Why does everyone bring up Randy Moss and blame him not coming here on TT. Moss CHOSE the Patriots over the Packers.

Moss didn't want to restructure his bloated contract for the Packers so good riddance. TT sure is a demon.

And LJ? He'll likely only put up those kind of numbers for one or two more seasons. He's already 27.

Some people are so hell bent on blaming everything on TT it's getting ridiculous.

Yared-Yam,

The word "hate" might not have a significant meaning to you, but it does to me. You fully may disagree with a position that I take or anyone does, but "hate" is a word you should be very careful to use.

Back on topic, please don't make excuses when this team wallows in the mainstream, at best.

Moss would have come here for the right money. Don't ever forget that.
Thompson didn't want to deal with him, which is understandable, nor did he more importantly to him, want to give up a freaking 4th round pick. But if the Pats hadn't seen what Green Bay offered and jumped in late, Moss would've had few or no other options but to come to Green Bay.

Let's see...at running back we have a starter given up on by Texas, a Nebraska rookie and a full array of Whoozits. So the Packers have a chance to bring in a legit upper-echelon player..even for a year....who would provide more punch to an offense ranked 22nd last year that competed against the league's easiest schedule.

Why not call Brett and ask him if he thinks this team is ready for the Super Bowl?

Randy Moss, Donald Driver, Larry Johnson....or Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and V. Morency. You decide.

against the easiest schedule in the league.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Bob McGinn at the Journal-Sentinel ...I ask a question at the end..
-----------------------------------

"There were a couple people in our room who were kind of for it," Thompson said. "I didn't dismiss it out of hand but I was never keen to it. We wanted the pick.

"I believe in building and that sort of thing. But I think you have to try to help your team. Quite frankly, I'd rather help us now rather than help us a year from now.
On Saturday, Thompson said he couldn't conceive of a situation in which he would trade a first-round pick in next year's draft.-----------

I guess that would rule out Turner for sure now since we were talking about next year's 1st and Ted will not let it go.

Contrary to others on this board, I think that I am fine with that since I feel he is somewhat overrated. A 6 yard average as LT's backup would surely come down to 4.0 to 4.5 when getting the bulk of the carries. If not, he would be starting ahead of LT. He'll get his money as a free agent next offseason as someone will jump up and overpay him -- even though he has not proven anything yet (Like Matt Schaub).

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Yared-Yam,

The word "hate" might not have a significant meaning to you, but it does to me. You fully may disagree with a position that I take or anyone does, but "hate" is a word you should be very careful to use.

Back on topic, please don't make excuses when this team wallows in the mainstream, at best.

Moss would have come here for the right money. Don't ever forget that.
Thompson didn't want to deal with him, which is understandable, nor did he more importantly to him, want to give up a freaking 4th round pick. But if the Pats hadn't seen what Green Bay offered and jumped in late, Moss would've had few or no other options but to come to Green Bay.

Let's see...at running back we have a starter given up on by Texas, a Nebraska rookie and a full array of Whoozits. So the Packers have a chance to bring in a legit upper-echelon player..even for a year....who would provide more punch to an offense ranked 22nd last year that competed against the league's easiest schedule.

Why not call Brett and ask him if he thinks this team is ready for the Super Bowl?

Randy Moss, Donald Driver, Larry Johnson....or Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and V. Morency. You decide.

against the easiest schedule in the league.

First of all you are making some contradictory assumptions to what has been reported. Moss wanted NE and in fact said money was NEVER the issue. He used his cotract merely as leverage to get what he wanted.

I think TT had a shot but that disappeard when NE threw their name in the hat and Moss immediately took a hardball approach. This was a move in his best interests and I hate him for it but certainly do not blame him either.

Second of all, Larry who? Have we had a legitimate chance at this guy? Another ghost in the closet deal where we really have no idea what this deal is about.

I am not going to get too shaken by our RB situation. We will have plenty of time to see what our guys can do and sign a decent RB later if it becomes a concern.

Until we are one RB away from the SB I would not entertain a #1 round pick for one. How many guys in rounds two and beyond go on to 1000 yard seasons do we have to see before we understand it's smarter to use that pick elsewhere?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um...net...hate to burst your bubble, but the last great Packer RB was "given up on" by Seattle.

Your logic is poor...the league is littered with ressurection stories. How about Brett Favre...given up on by Atlanta for being drunk, fat and stupid.

I expect better from you.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
While granted DT is more vluable than a WR it isnt more valuable than RB....We needed a RB and should have adressed this issue through trades!

Well I don't know if it'd be fair value to give up a first rounder for Turner.

Look at the tape, we got a RB that reminds me a bit of Turner.

Looking at Jackson's highlight video, he makes cutting back look as natural as breathing, and he has solid fundamentals (IE. keeping his legs moving even when getting into a pile).

Jackson is just as fast as Jones-Drew was last year, so he has speed too.

Most importantly, he is coming from a system that was similar to the Packers, so he has a greater chance of contributing right away.

It isn't as if we didn't address the problem at all.

I never said turner, but it would be nice to have at least some kind of vet...Ricky williams, Edgerin James, Ron Dayne , or maybe even Kevin Jones...Who knows....If not a vet maybe a trade up to get a adrain peterson....

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also I will say this...I go to a school in the big 12, and by far the best backs were the duo at texas....We should have looked at selvin young or romance taylor.......