Steelers' Pouncey Out vs Packers in SB

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like the Steelers are going to be shorthanded when taking on one of the league's best defenses in the Super Bowl.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Steelers rookie center Maurkice Pouncey will miss Super Bowl XLV against the Packers with what seems to be an ankle injury. That's according to teammate Chris Kemoeatu.
"We are definitely sad that he won't be able to be with us in the Super Bowl," Kemoeatu told the paper following the team's practice on Wednesday. "Definitely I feel bad for him. We just have to win it for him."
Pouncey, a rookie out of Florida, left Sunday's AFC Championship against the Jets with what was initially diagnosed as a high ankle sprain.
The Pro Bowler has played an integral part on the Pittsburgh offensive line for the entire season, and if the reports are true, his absence could be a crushing blow to the Steelers.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/report-...er-maurkice-pouncey-will-miss-super-bowl.html

grahamburgher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a HUGE blow to us, guys, especially the way Raji's been playing. Pouncey is a beast and is a leader for the offense despite the fact that he's a rookie.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Pouncey! It must suck to have to miss out on what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. But alas, somewhere out there, Raji is grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

I wonder how banged up the Steelers are following that Jets game. That was brutal at times! Good thing for both teams they have the 2 week rest.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why,but it doesn't matter if he is in or out,our d-line will play their hears out and o-line will do what they have too,too win.

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
Losing a pro-bowl center will be huge, but if they know right know that he won't be in, it'll give the Steelers time to have the backup work with Ben and give the coaches time to work on a scheme to try to limit Raji.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Remember how Cullen Jenkins had the club. Yeah, hard to feel sympathy versus ailing teams.

43Hitman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want him to play, I don't want any excuses for us beating the Steelers, I want their best

There are no excuses. In Pittsburgh, the Standard is the Standard. We don't have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. The next man up has to get the job done. If the Pack win, I'll shake your hands and congratulate you, no excuses. I hope for the same when it goes the other way though.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are no excuses. In Pittsburgh, the Standard is the Standard. We don't have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. The next man up has to get the job done. If the Pack win, I'll shake your hands and congratulate you, no excuses. I hope for the same when it goes the other way though.

Packers have been dealing with injuries all season and made it this far, you don't hear any excuses coming out of any Packers or Fans...Everything you just said has examplified the Packers whole season...I don't know what it is, but when I talk to you guys (steelers fans) you all have this mentality of the steelers like they are a team of a higher purpose then anyone else...that's honestly been my impression so far...what are your thoughts?

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have been dealing with injuries all season and made it this far, you don't hear any excuses coming out of any Packers or Fans...Everything you just said has examplified the Packers whole season...I don't know what it is, but when I talk to you guys (steelers fans) you all have this mentality of the steelers like they are a team of a higher purpose then anyone else...that's honestly been my impression so far...what are your thoughts?

Hitman is just echoing what Tomlin has been saying since he became coach of the steelers. The standard is the standard. We don't have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. He has sold that to the players and they have been stepping up to the standard. That's why we aren't playing Pouncey not playing as a big deal. They can't, it's not their mentality.

I understand the Pack has been hit hard with injuries this year. That is why it is even more impressive what they have accomplished this year.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Both teams seem more alike than different in their mentality. You can tell McCarthy instilled a Pittsburgh mentality in the GB players.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Packer fans are making way to big of a deal out of this. It really didnt help the Jets much from what I saw. I think the biggest fear steeler fans have would be miscommunication between him and Ben just from lack of game time together.

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eh, i think it could be a bigger issue than it was against the jets. raji has been on a tear lately.

You could very well be right. From what I've seen and heard Raji has been playing lights out. Similar to our 2nd year guy, Ziggy Hood.

I'm not as worried about the blocking as I am the line calls. The coaching staff was obviously impressed by his athletic ability but what surprised them even more was his intelligence. To be able to come into the NFL as a rookie and not only start but be in charge of making the line calls is pretty impressive.

The way Capers moves everyone around in the Packers defense has me worried that Legursky will screw some calls up. He admitted after the Jets game that he blew some calls. To do that against the Pack may result in a game changing play. I don't want that to happen so he obviously has to live up to the standard. :grin2:

Members online

Latest posts