1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Starks out - Saine the 3rd down back?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by El Guapo, Dec 9, 2011.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    I read that James Starks is official out for the Raiders game on Sunday. According to the article, that means that Grant will get the majority of the carries with the rookie, Saine, coming in on 3rd downs. My question to masses is: In his rookie season, does Saine know the blocking schemes well enough to be the guy protecting Rodgers on every 3rd down passing situation? I think that I'd rather give Grant the duties full time.

2. Havners Heroes

Havners Heroes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +45
    It depends on the play. If they want a running back running a route, put Saine in. If they want the running back to stay in and block, put Grant in.

I think they should definitely try to put the ball in Saine's hands a good 7 or 8 times though, I like what I've seen from him coming out of the backfield. He actually seems to know how to make people miss and fall forward.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    I'm sorry to hear that Starks is out, but it might be best to rest him. This will, however give us a really good look at Saine. If Grant doesn't come back next year, Saine might be bumped up to the #2 slot pending what happens with Alex Green.

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    One good thing is last time Ryan faced the Raiders at Lambeau it was his birthday...And today is his birthday

The other good thing?

He went 29 carries for a 156 yards

I realize that was 4 years ago, but still lot of coincidences

5. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I thought Saine did pretty good out there last week for someone that's a back up.

I just hope in the last few weeks, McCarthy starts benching players if we are 13-0, 14-0. Woodson had a concussion, we lost Starks, the O-line is banged up. That is not how we want to go into the playoffs, we better be healthy sitting with the first round bye at home field advantage.

Yes I agree on resting Starks, we don't need him injured when he comes back, we need him for the playoffs.

6. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Spahn and Saine and two days rain. Woops, wrong sport. ;)

7. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    Might as well have him block as well... He's going to be taking Grants roster spot next year anyways.

8. G0PackG0

G0PackG0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    I love the Packers! Even more with more and more Buckeye's on the team! O! H!