Starks out - Saine the 3rd down back?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that James Starks is official out for the Raiders game on Sunday. According to the article, that means that Grant will get the majority of the carries with the rookie, Saine, coming in on 3rd downs. My question to masses is: In his rookie season, does Saine know the blocking schemes well enough to be the guy protecting Rodgers on every 3rd down passing situation? I think that I'd rather give Grant the duties full time.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on the play. If they want a running back running a route, put Saine in. If they want the running back to stay in and block, put Grant in.

I think they should definitely try to put the ball in Saine's hands a good 7 or 8 times though, I like what I've seen from him coming out of the backfield. He actually seems to know how to make people miss and fall forward.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that Starks is out, but it might be best to rest him. This will, however give us a really good look at Saine. If Grant doesn't come back next year, Saine might be bumped up to the #2 slot pending what happens with Alex Green.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One good thing is last time Ryan faced the Raiders at Lambeau it was his birthday...And today is his birthday

The other good thing?

He went 29 carries for a 156 yards

I realize that was 4 years ago, but still lot of coincidences

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I thought Saine did pretty good out there last week for someone that's a back up.

I just hope in the last few weeks, McCarthy starts benching players if we are 13-0, 14-0. Woodson had a concussion, we lost Starks, the O-line is banged up. That is not how we want to go into the playoffs, we better be healthy sitting with the first round bye at home field advantage.

Yes I agree on resting Starks, we don't need him injured when he comes back, we need him for the playoffs.

Latest posts