1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stale Bread

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zeck180, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +173
    McCarthy and Thomson are like a stale loaf of bread but each year placing themselves in a new bag with fresh crumbs promising it's better. It's not better, it's the same and starting to get moldy.

Every year when there are major issues that come up we hear the promise from Ted that all will be fixed in the draft, it's in the draft our answers and prayer lie there. McCarthy's reasons why they lost, "We didn't play hard enough" "We didn't execute well enough" "we weren't focused".

Then we have those that eat up these excuses then lambaste those of us who are seeing past the excuses, I don't care that we have made the playoffs for six consecutive years, exactly what has that yielded besides one Super Bowl? 2011, 2014 if Ted bothered to fix the problems mid-season we would be sitting on 5-6 Lombardi's and if McCarthy didn't play it safe in Seattle we would've seen a Super Bowl for the ages Rodgers vs Brady.

Then we get to the newest problem #12, always looking for the big passes, those that will be highlights of the week. TE's and WR's wide open 5-15 yards out, nope got to heave one down to the goal line and hope it's not intercepted.

These past seven years have been all but wasted in the past 2-3 years it has become stale, and like stale bread you eventually throw it out, only after you start to see some mold grow. So will the mold grow and affect all the slices?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Wasted what? It turns out AR sucks. Please try to keep up.

Packers are the only team in the NFL who are trying to win the Superbowl. All the other teams and players are just props in the Packer Fan Super Bowl Dreams. They are not real professional players wanting anything more than to just hang out in an NFL stadium on a Sunday. If TT or MM wanted to, they could just up and decide to win the SB. Not sure why they don't. Probably just to pi$$ off some posters on this website because they have big egos and are jealous of all of you who know so fricking much about how to run and coach a football team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    Is a new TT thread going to start up after every loss?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,803
    I can relate to your frustrations and I agree with you.

I expect the same thing as long as those two guys are in charge.
    We will get to yet another playoff game only to blow it yet again.
    I really seriously doubt we will get to another Super Bowl as long as McMuffin is coaching.
    He has a gift. The golden QB with the million dollar arm and he refuses to open it. Let him pass more.
    And yes, we should have been to at least another SB by now.

5. MadCat

MadCat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +56
    Stale bread indeed. And if they don't turn things around, they will soon be toast! :whistling:

6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,654
    I understand being frustrated about the Packers having won "only" one Super Bowl since Rodgers became the team's starting quarterback. But while Thompson and McCarthy for sure aren't without any flaws generally both have done a good job of positioning the team to have a chance of competing for another title.

Currently Rodgers is the main reason the offense is struggling. There's absolutely no point in McCarthy letting the quarterback throw any more but the head coach should have him buy into not looking for the big play on every single pass attempt. Just throw it to his checkdown or an underneath receiver if the deep ball isn't there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    I really cant argue too much with the crux of what the original post says. It is becoming stale bread - both should be on the hot seat. They cannot keep trotting out this stale offensive set expecting different results. time to mix up the offensive schemes. That being said, it is now getting to the point where you start to question the pad level of every pass play. There is no separation where the WRs are concerned, or very little. Every team is figuring it out, don't jump and press AR. Blind loyalists be darned.

8. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I think MM should script the first 20 plays. No more letting hollywood read and react and turn it into the improv show. I want to see 20 plays executed as they are drawn up. Then go to the hurry up which is almost another scripted offense with quick plays that require immediate decision making. On MM though....i would like to see him dump this mindset of keeping 1 offensive unit out there for a series to keep the D from substituting. During the hurry up portion you would keep the same guys out there for the most part but for the scripted plays swich it the f up already.

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,654
    I absolutely like the idea of having more scripted plays resulting in Rodgers not having to audible on every single snap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +737
    McCarthy's offensive system is just as big an issues as Rodgers. Rodgers is struggling, in part, because McCarthy refuses to help him or the receivers with his offense. Recent article at the Ringer.com brings up the same accurate point, McCarthy clings to a scheme that relies on his receivers beating coverage by themselves and McCarthy is either incapable or unwilling to scheme guys open, which would make Rodgers job a LOT easier.

Yes, Rodgers has problems, but McCarthy refuses to actually HELP his players succeed, instead insisting that they just need to play better. That's great but, after a year, maybe he needs to acknowledge that this offense isn't as talented as it was in 2011 and that maybe, just maybe, he needs to actually exercise some coaching skills and put his players in a position to succeed. Instead the team is left with a coach who is running an offense that doesn't fit the personnel.

Article (which is very good read): https://theringer.com/something-is-wrong-with-aaron-rodgers-af70c87703a7#.fjflmad3u

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,796
    i think all those articles are crap. There are open guys, guys are beating coverage. There are misfires every season early on, and this year is for totally different reasons than last. some guy picks some plays so he can fill the void in fans reality as to why this team isn't living up to their expectations of perfection.

i don't think the beat writers nor the vast majority of fans has any clue what is happening in any formation or play or series of downs to do anything more than throw darts as to "why" things are happening. It's ok, I do it too, but it doesn't mean they're right. It means they're filling a need for their market and gaining readers by giving them a "reason"

The receivers and QB need to be in sync. I' not falling for the same excuses used against a revolving door of injured offensive players last year. When Davante looked sluggish and couldn't cut to save his life on 1 leg, yeah he couldn't beat coverage. When they show an iso on him on Sunday and he's beating guys in 2 ******* steps off the line, that excuse is just an excuse as to why the offense isn't working.

12. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,654
    The lack of combination routes used is mind-boggling though. Even if receivers do a better job of getting open by themselves this season incorporating man beater routes would make it easier for them to get separation from defensive backs.

13. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,796
    With the defensive backs MN had going into the game, I would not have game planned for going against a team where getting open would be seen as problematic either. It didn't seem to be, it's just the ball wasn't going to the open receivers. Why? Is it Rodgers? is he expecting them to go one way, and they go the other? should they be going that way or the other? I don't know, but I do know, this offense has been as potent as any in the league for quite a while. I know they've been struggling. I think this year is for different reasons than last year. But i do not think it's because it's old stale and predictable. I think it's because it is not being run correctly at various levels from the QB to the receivers and this early in the year, it's been fairly common with this offense.

I don't like, i think they can do things different, but I am not buying the "MM's system sucks" mantra.

• Like Like x 1
  14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,654
    Unfortunately the Packers offense hasn't been one of the best in the league for nearly a year. At some point expecting different results while trying the same stuff over and over again is becoming insane.

15. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +737
    So you think the coach shouldn't adjust his scheme to help the team succeed? That, when the coaches system isn't working, the coach should just continue to do the same non-working thing over and over again? Coaches don't have exclusive rights to understanding how football works. Many writers and media members are actually hugely intelligent when it comes to football.

You mention Adams as an example and that's perfect. Adams, to this point, has not been a very good receiver and yet he continues to get targets from Rodgers. Could that be because Rodgers like humiliating him? Or could it be that he's the only guy able to get consistently open?

You label the Packers' issues as "misfires" and yet the Steelers are dealing with more injuries on offense than the Packers but I don't see that slowing them down. The Pats are crippled offensively, yet their offense is light years better than the Packers. So, if these articles hold no merit, then what would be your explanation for how an offense featuring Nelson, Cobb, Rodgers, Lacy and a good oline is among the worst in the NFL while the Pats can field a good-to-great offense with a backup QB, a starting RB on PUP, no Gronk and a collection of mediocre receivers? How come the Steelers can field an elite offense while missing their starting RB, starting TE and a very good receiver in Bryant?

16. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +737
    So if the system isn't being run correctly, doesn't that fall on the coach? Shouldn't the coach be the one coaching the players to run the system correctly? Or is it just the players that are bad and the coach is absolved of blame?

17. bigbubbatd

bigbubbatd Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +321
    I can see complaints about McCarthy and Rodgers but to complain about TT seems odd. His moves at Ilb, olb and even d line have paid off so far. The defense was supposed to struggle against the run but that hasn't been true all. They have players there and some really young.

The issue is the offense and I think it is scheme and qb play. Not sure what to was supposed to do there.

18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Who is Danny Kelly from the Ringer, and when did he find his enigma machine to crack the Packers' code? How does a guy who doesn't even attend any training camps or practices all of a sudden because the guy who figured out the offense? I'm not buying it.

Overall, this stale bread is still the envy of most of the league. We've got problems for sure, and everything needs to be fine tuned, but no need to throw out the baby with the bath water.

19. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,796
    i'm not here saying any one person is to blame. They all play a part, but to say MM can't coach an offense is stupid. There's about a decades worth evidence that says otherwise. We're in week 2, our offense starts like this every year. This year is different than last year. Were there open receivers on Sunday night that Rodgers didn't throw it to? yes or no? tell me it's the ******* scheme again, i'll consider it BS again too.

If we're in week 6 and it's still the same i'll be more concerned, but this year isn't like last year. If Rodgers doesn't start seeing or hitting open guys and moving chains rather than trying for 40 every time, there isn't much that is going to change. We'll blow out lesser teams and struggle against good ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +737
    So, again, why can the Steelers and Pats (two teams with more injury problems on offense than the Packers and less overall offensive talent) able to succeed on offense while the Packers struggle? Nobody is claiming that McCarthy has NEVER been good at coaching offense. People are simply pointing out that McCarthy's offense hasn't evolved and perhaps that's a problem when he doesn't have elite talent (which raises the question about how important a coach is if they can only succeed with great players).

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +328
    One of the articles linked yesterday showed the Packers had 3WR, 1TE & 1RB formation almost 78% of the plays run so far. Wouldn't that "mandate" the defense be in their base D or nickel? It's also common knowledge that GB runs the no-huddle or hurry-up offense so that the D can't change personnel. Wouldn't it make more sense to line-up in 4WR, 1RB (Lacy) and "lock-in" the D to Dime?

Since our TE's are average (at best) blockers it would seem that having 4 WR's with the occasional Lacy run against dime D would be a more effective mismatch, wouldn't it?

22. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,796
    We're in week 2, week 2, week 2. When the steelers have accomplished more than GB has at the end of the year like they have every year, oh wait, they haven't, then we'll talk. Actually we probably won't, because I probably won't watch a complete STeelers game all season to know what they're doing or why

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +670
    How many weeks, weeks, weeks do we need to wait?

• Like Like x 2
  24. swhitset

swhitset Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +233
    "let him pass more"?? have you been watching the same games I have?

25. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,803
    I was being influenced by a friend who watched the game and was complaining that A-Rod handed off too many times in certain situations.
    It seems like the pass wasn't being tried until 3rd down a lot of times. Vikings were stopping our running game.