Spriggs replaces Lang?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God Darryn Colledge... gag. Sometimes you have to wonder about the marriage between personnel selection scheme and coaching. The old ZB scheme with the same coaching and FO sucked for years from 05 through 08. Then starting in 08 with the same staff and same FO we started selecting bigger beefier OL prospects and we've had great lines ever since the 2011 campaign when cats like Lang Sitton and Bulaga matured.

Gotta wonder about whether or not the struggles on defense stems from a bad fit between what Dom wants and what TT is good at selecting.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor was considered a replacement for Sitton. Were you one of the posters freaking out when that took place? I fully expect that Spriggs, Barclay, Murphy, Patrick and a draft pick will battle it out in preseason. Should be an interesting battle.
Didn't freak when Taylor replaced Sitton. He had shown to be above average run blocker and pedestrian pass blocker. Didn't think it would be so seamless I'll give you that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't freak when Taylor replaced Sitton. He had shown to be above average run blocker and pedestrian pass blocker. Didn't think it would be so seamless I'll give you that.
Good on you then. The chicken littles were out in full force the last week before the opener.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably new thread required, but, if we're going to talk about us chickens and our opinions, would you like to go back over the draft picks, replacements, re-signings, et. al. at which we balked and were later proven correct? Probably easier just to stick to this example, about which I'll certainly admit I had my doubts.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While its nice to think TT is a draft guru when it comes to finding gems on the O-Line, he has had an equal share of failures. Might even want to say he is batting about 50%, which maybe by NFL standards is good? More importantly though, at least IMO, he has drafted only 2 offensive lineman (Spriggs and Murphy) in the last 3 drafts. Linsley and Bahk are the only 2 O-lineman drafted that are still on the team since Bulaga was drafted in 2010. So while it seems that he has hit on UDFA Taylor, he better have hit on at least 1-2 of the current nonstarters on the team (or a draft pick). Rodgers success depends on 5 solid guys and probably 6 when you take injuries into account. I currently see 4 on the team, with a lot of question marks for the 5th and even more uncertainties for depth on the OL.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Wells go through FA was a mistake, but EDS was a solid center as soon as he seized the spot from Jeff Saturday and we were solid at the position in the back end of 2012 through 2013. Now Corey Linsley was flat out awesome as a rook.

I don't think letting a 31 year old Wells go was a mistake. He was paid $15 million by the Rams for the 2012-2014 seasons. He played 7 games in 2012 and 12 games in 2013.

The Packers paid a total of $6.4 million to cover the center position from 2012 to 2014 with Jeff Saturday, Evan Dietrich-Smith and Corey Linsley. Jeff Saturday made $4 million in 2012. In hindsight the mistake was signing Saturday--not in letting Wells walk. The Packers could have had good center play between just EDS and Linsley for $2.4 million over the 3 years. That is Ted Thompson 101 and it's how I expect them to cover RG this year.

Edit for comparison's sake, EDS made $615k in 2012 and $1.3 mil. in 2013. Linsley made $466k in 2014.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be another case where Thompson is over relying on youth or a current player to make a big jump. While you are correct, Don Barclay could come out and surprise those of us who wanted him gone a year ago and have a Pro Bowl year. But based on his recent body of work, I think those expectations, especially if they are for him to be a starter, are extremely risky and poor planning.

There is zero chance of that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probowls are always a year or 2 behind the actual production, so regardless of barclay's year I don't think he'll make it :) and I don't expect his production to be anything more than a marginally capable backup. unless he's been a really slow healer from his knee injury, I don't expect him to beat out the 3 other guys that could be competing for that position that are on the team right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
probowls are always a year or 2 behind the actual production, so regardless of barclay's year I don't think he'll make it :) and I don't expect his production to be anything more than a marginally capable backup. unless he's been a really slow healer from his knee injury, I don't expect him to beat out the 3 other guys that could be competing for that position that are on the team right now.

All that being said......good thing we resigned him! :rolleyes:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not even counting on him making the final 53. If he actually earns a position I guess it's ok, but I'm not planning on him doing that unless he has been just an extremely slow healer and suddenly moves better this season

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not even counting on him making the final 53. If he actually earns a position I guess it's ok, but I'm not planning on him doing that unless he has been just an extremely slow healer and suddenly moves better this season

$250,ooo investment? Wonder if the Packers are interested in some swamp land near Lambeau?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

So Barclay is your starting RG?

I expect there to be a competition for the starting job at right guard. I want Bulaga to remain at tackle though.

I thought Spriggs at either guard was OBVIOUS!!
prob not strong enough for tackle at NFL level, but athletic enough for guard

Playing guard requires more strength than lining up at tackle though. Therefore if Spriggs isn't strong enough to play OT he's for sure not a fit at OG.

Thompson likes to replace a few guys every year with up and coming young guys. It's just the way he operates.

At age 28 I don't consider Barclay an up and coming young player though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect there to be a competition for the starting job at right guard. I want Bulaga to remain at tackle though.

Playing guard requires more strength than lining up at tackle though. Therefore if Spriggs isn't strong enough to play OT he's for sure not a fit at OG.

At age 28 I don't consider Barclay an up and coming young player though.
No, definitely not an up and comer. My guess is he's a cheap insurance policy and possibly a guy that would be kept as a temporary rreplacement that could step in at 3 different positions.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article on Acme that gave a little tiny insight into what McCarthy is thinking about replacing Lang. First Bulaga he doesn't really want to move inside, but wouldn't rule it out. Spriggs he views as a Tackle. So whatever that means. I would bet he drafts a rookie between rounds 4-7 to compete with Murphy and god awful Barclay.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it, I don't think they move their top tackle off the bench and have him work at guard exclusively.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article on Acme that gave a little tiny insight into what McCarthy is thinking about replacing Lang. First Bulaga he doesn't really want to move inside, but wouldn't rule it out. Spriggs he views as a Tackle. So whatever that means. I would bet he drafts a rookie between rounds 4-7 to compete with Murphy and god awful Barclay.
I expect the real RG battle to be between Lucas Patrick and Kyle Murphy.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ick-prepared-if-packers-guards-down/98350824/

Barclay's value is his ability to be marginally serviceable anywhere on the line. Really hope a draft pick or UDFA steps up and shows they can man any of the 3 interior spots, but that's a tall task.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the real RG battle to be between Lucas Patrick and Kyle Murphy.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ick-prepared-if-packers-guards-down/98350824/

Barclay's value is his ability to be marginally serviceable anywhere on the line. Really hope a draft pick or UDFA steps up and shows they can man any of the 3 interior spots, but that's a tall task.
I can see Greg Pyke being a good bargain in the 5th. I think he will be a similar type impact his rookie season at guard as Linsley was at center. Hope we get a good look at Kyle Murphy this preseason at guard and tackle! Don't know much about Lucas Patrick other than coaches like him.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, definitely not an up and comer. My guess is he's a cheap insurance policy and possibly a guy that would be kept as a temporary rreplacement that could step in at 3 different positions.
How long is that going to keep him around when we see how terrible he can be! Barclay still being around is a real big head scratcher to me!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How long is that going to keep him around when we see how terrible he can be! Barclay still being around is a real big head scratcher to me!

Kind of tells you what kind of depth....the Packers don't currently have on the O-line. It is only March and I expect TT to bring in more than just a few rookies (drafted or UDFA) to compete for spots. But when you have very little experience outside of the 4 starters, Barclay for now is a Plan B or C.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yikes, I hope the Packers add someone else to the competition. Most likely a mid round draft pick.
I also hope there's more (drafted) competition, I like the size of: Siragusa (6'-4, 319); Asiata (6'-3", 323) and/or Dunker (6'-4", 318) picked in round 4 or 5. Don't know who's got NFL strength already, but Murphy & Patrick needed some time to get stronger ('16).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if he plays terrible in camp this summer he'll likely be cut. They will have more than 10 OL in camp and to start playing in preseason games. Just like every year.

Members online

Latest posts