Spriggs replaces Lang?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Spriggs measured in at 6'5.5" at the combine. Some sites record that as 6'5" and some as 6'6". He's on the taller end for guards, but under 6'6" really isn't all that unusual for the position. 6'7" would be a very high number for an interior lineman, but that listed measurement is incorrect if you take the combine figures as accurate.

And Kyle Murphy measured at 6'6" but I don't hear people say he can't play guard.

Personally, I'd like to see Spriggs given the chance to start at guard.

Edit - I've also read that some people think that Spriggs lacks the strength to be a guard, but he put up the 3rd best bench press numbers at the combine among all offensive linemen (31 total). I know the bench isn't the perfect test, but I think it's a stretch to say Spriggs lacks strength.

FWIW - Murphy put up 23.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How in the world does Barclay keep sticking around? I would think the tape speaks for itself!

Maybe its not the tape that they have on Barclay that keeps him around, rather the tape that Barclay has on someone high up in the Packer front office? :whistling:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor was considered a replacement for Sitton. Were you one of the posters freaking out when that took place? I fully expect that Spriggs, Barclay, Murphy, Patrick and a draft pick will battle it out in preseason. Should be an interesting battle.
Have you actually watched Barclay play??

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And Kyle Murphy measured at 6'6" but I don't hear people say he can't play guard.

Personally, I'd like to see Spriggs given the chance to start at guard.

Edit - I've also read that some people think that Spriggs lacks the strength to be a guard, but he put up the 3rd best bench press numbers at the combine among all offensive linemen (31 total). I know the bench isn't the perfect test, but I think it's a stretch to say Spriggs lacks strength.

FWIW - Murphy put up 23.

IIRC, Spriggs lacked some functional strength on tape at Indiana. For that reason, most analysts thought he would need a redshirt year to get stronger. It would seem that's basically what he got.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the idea may be to get your best five on the field, and this might be the only way to do it.

I would prefer to play the team's sixth best offensive lineman better suited to line up at guard as long as that means an upgrade at tackle.

How in the world does Barclay keep sticking around? I would think the tape speaks for itself! I understand he is ultra familiar with the system and playbook, but come on enough is enough. He can't seriously be considered a replacement for Lang!

Barclay actually did a decent job playing 50 snaps in the NFCCG at Atlanta. I'm fine with allowing him to compete for a roster spot again although it was surprising that he received $150K in guaranteed money.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you actually watched Barclay play??
Not since January. You?

Do you know what is level of play will be this season? You're quite the soothsayer if you do. Did you think Taylor, Allison, Montgomery or Adams would play the way they did last year?

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you know what is level of play will be this season? You're quite the soothsayer if you do. Did you think Taylor, Allison, Montgomery or Adams would play the way they did last year?

To be fair Barclay has mostly struggled over the last two seasons after tearing his ACL in 2014.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not since January. You?

This could be another case where Thompson is over relying on youth or a current player to make a big jump. While you are correct, Don Barclay could come out and surprise those of us who wanted him gone a year ago and have a Pro Bowl year. But based on his recent body of work, I think those expectations, especially if they are for him to be a starter, are extremely risky and poor planning.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer to play the team's sixth best offensive lineman better suited to line up at guard as long as that means an upgrade at tackle.

Barclay actually did a decent job playing 50 snaps in the NFCCG at Atlanta. I'm fine with allowing him to compete for a roster spot again although it was surprising that he received $150K in guaranteed money.

So Barclay is your starting RG?

I could certainly see that happening.

Many here thought the sky was falling when Josh Sitton was shown the door and career-backup Lane Taylor was tabbed to replace him. As it turned out, it was no big deal.

So I can certainly envision career-backup Barclay replacing the departed Lang, at least in the short-term.

We'll see how this all plays out in August.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay has been terrible since his knee injury in mostly spot duty. He did play better with more snaps in the NFCCG, though I still don't feel comfortable with him on the field. But as of now they have Barclay, Spriggs, Lucas, and Murphy as potential replacements for competition. I expect there will be another name or 2 added to that list before August rolls around.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Spriggs at either guard was OBVIOUS!!
prob not strong enough for tackle at NFL level, but athletic enough for guard

why would you use a 2nd round pick on a guy to replace your two top OTs???
which guard spot is the real question

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's obviously not obvious to most of us. How long do you think Bulaga is going to last, and who fills in for either him or Bak if/when they go down? My, admittedly minimal, knowledge of positional requirements has the strong guys at guard, the athletic ones at tackle.

At the moment, isn't RG the real question mark?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought Spriggs at either guard was OBVIOUS!!
prob not strong enough for tackle at NFL level, but athletic enough for guard

why would you use a 2nd round pick on a guy to replace your two top OTs???
which guard spot is the real question

While we will never know for sure, it appeared that TT traded 3 picks (2nd, 4th and 7th) to move up 9 spots to draft Spriggs as an indication that maybe they weren't going to resign Bakhtiari and Spriggs would eventually take his spot. So when Bahk was resigned last September, I think many of us were scratching our heads at the move. While he could turn out to be a decent backup, a right guard or a future starter at Tackle, giving up 3 picks to get him is still puzzling to me.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bak is VERY good
Bulaga is above average and a former 1st rounder...bjut always an injury risk

I would be "ok" with Murphy backing up either but Spriggs i never saw as "strong enough" for tackle at the NFL level. Especially not for LT

I could see him playing RT, but also play RG... or as others have said put Bulaga at RG and Spriggs at RT.... but that's pointless to move Bulaga at this point in his career

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BahkT wasn't strong enough for LT either for a couple of seasons. He won with great technique, but when that didn't work he was nailed with penalties because he wasn't strong enough to recover when he wasn't perfect. That changed last year, he has strength and technique. Still not as strong as I'd like, but we're a passing offense, not a roadgrader offense.

Spriggs is stronger than Murphy. Murphy actually didn't impress me at all in the time I saw him in the preseason. Not good technique and seemed woefully underwhelming when it came to holding up a bull rush.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs isn't replacing Bak though

so... he likely goes to the right side... so Right Guard or RT... but why move Bulage from RT at this point in his career??

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not advocating him to replace either tackle at this point. BahkT should be there for hopefully a decade. Bulaga, with health should be there a couple more seasons. I would not want Bulaga to be replaced for Spriggs out of the gate.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea i would put spriggs at RG then

It's apparent that Lane was groomed(and fairly well) to take over for Sitton now..

so who knows??

Maybe Spriggs can come in and do the job at RG?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also won't be surprised if TT waits until the FA dust settles and finds Lang's replacement.

TT prudently uses the pipeline approach, draft guys in rounds 4-7 for the OL erry year and pick up good looking UFAs as well. Keep a constant competition going at the bottom end of the depth chart. When a starter leaves or ages out you have a replacement waiting in the wing already. So Teddy wont be drafting TJ Lang's replacement, rather he'll be drafting the potential replacement for TJs replacement. Look for Kyle Murphy Barclay Spriggs to all be in the mix, and I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Bull over to RG where he's a natural fit.

The teams with the best OLs either A) invest a lot of high end draft picks at great cost into the position group or B) create a pipeline like the one described above. Draft a 4th or 5th rounder every draft and give him a year or two of pro conditioning and practice schedules, after a year well scouted 4th rounder might be the equivalent of a first rounder.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT prudently uses the pipeline approach, draft guys in rounds 4-7 for the OL erry year and pick up good looking UFAs as well. Keep a constant competition going at the bottom end of the depth chart. When a starter leaves or ages out you have a replacement waiting in the wing already. So Teddy wont be drafting TJ Lang's replacement, rather he'll be drafting the potential replacement for TJs replacement. Look for Kyle Murphy Barclay Spriggs to all be in the mix, and I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Bull over to RG where he's a natural fit.

The teams with the best OLs either A) invest a lot of high end draft picks at great cost into the position group or B) create a pipeline like the one described above. Draft a 4th or 5th rounder every draft and give him a year or two of pro conditioning and practice schedules, after a year well scouted 4th rounder might be the equivalent of a first rounder.

I sort of agree here mostly... good post btw!

Bulaga shouldn't be moved inside at this point in his career though, tha'ts stupid.

Spriggs seems more like a Colledge type player now that I think of it.. but better overall

We had crap luck after Wells, for a few years, until we got Tretter/Lensley though for C... i wanna say that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not advocating him to replace either tackle at this point. BahkT should be there for hopefully a decade. Bulaga, with health should be there a couple more seasons. I would not want Bulaga to be replaced for Spriggs out of the gate.

I dont think replacing Bull is the idea, rather its how do you get your best OL group onto the field. Whereas Spriggs is a pure OT Bull could easily handle the more physical job at guard and be a good one too. Hes a good drive blocker who handles power well, his only downside is speed around the edge.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sort of agree here mostly... good post btw!

Bulaga shouldn't be moved inside at this point in his career though, tha'ts stupid.

Spriggs seems more like a Colledge type player now that I think of it.. but better overall

We had crap luck after Wells, for a few years, until we got Tretter/Lensley though for C... i wanna say that.

Well we didn't have a great pipeline then, it wasnt until 2008 that we started hitting on our OL picks and it wasn't until later that we actually picked up depth and started creating ready replacements. Letting Wells go through FA was a mistake, but EDS was a solid center as soon as he seized the spot from Jeff Saturday and we were solid at the position in the back end of 2012 through 2013. Now Corey Linsley was flat out awesome as a rook.

You know I like Spriggs and Kyle Murphy I think they both showed promise as rookies and Id like to see what they can do after full offseasons

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty much.

the other way is what the Cowboys do...

but they're about to be in salary trouble with Tyrone Smith, Martin and Frederick all about to get paid

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair Barclay has mostly struggled over the last two seasons after tearing his ACL in 2014.
Yes he has. Apparently there are people inside 1265 Lombardi that thinks he's still on the comeback trail and has potential value for the team. Guys like Lane Taylor and Don Barclay and Kyle Murphy get released quickly in many NFL cities and get replaced by FA castoffs. It drives a lot of people here bonkers because young players are allowed time to mature and develop. It's just the way mgmt here conducts business. Some refuse to accept that reality. A year and a half ago I was ridiculed for even mentioning that it was likely that we would play the 16 season without one of Sitton/Lang and that the 17 season we'd likely have neither one of them here anymore. Thompson likes to replace a few guys every year with up and coming young guys. It's just the way he operates.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he has. Apparently there are people inside 1265 Lombardi that thinks he's still on the comeback trail and has potential value for the team. Guys like Lane Taylor and Don Barclay and Kyle Murphy get released quickly in many NFL cities and get replaced by FA castoffs. It drives a lot of people here bonkers because young players are allowed time to mature and develop. It's just the way mgmt here conducts business. Some refuse to accept that reality. A year and a half ago I was ridiculed for even mentioning that it was likely that we would play the 16 season without one of Sitton/Lang and that the 17 season we'd likely have neither one of them here anymore. Thompson likes to replace a few guys every year with up and coming young guys. It's just the way he operates.

to be fairthat's mostly for guards though

he doesn't give a rats @ss for guards

Latest posts