Spriggs replaces Lang?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they plan on moving Bulaga either. He's coming off one of his best years and they have other guys that have been working at guard. I think they'd just put spriggs there again if need be

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I concur. If Barclay earns the job, he is the best option on the roster. If he sucks it is on Ted for not having a better option. It would not be Don's fault.

If Barclay earns the job and is the Packers best option, I think that is going to say a lot about the state of our O-line.

Imagine if we were saying this same thing about the WR position. "If Jeff Janis earns the job......" I know every team has their share of the Don Barclays and Jeff Janis's, but it seems like every off season we are talking about guys like this having to step up and finally be that player that they aren't. I really hope we aren't opening 2017 relying on Barclay as a starter. It's one thing to expect more out of a 2nd or 3rd year player, but Barclay?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the idea of moving Bulaga to guard. He's one of the best RT's in the league, he's being paid like a tackle, and tackle is the more important position. In addition, moving him to RG and installing Spriggs at RT creates uncertainty at two positions, rather than one if they use Spriggs, Murphy, or Barclay at RG.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not an expert, but everything I see says Spriggs isn't built to play inside, not to mention what TT paid for him (draft choices, not cash). Barclay is Barclay. Murphy is a 7th round holdover who hasn't played yet. None of those options give me a warm fuzzy - any could work, but...

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the idea of moving Bulaga to guard. He's one of the best RT's in the league, he's being paid like a tackle, and tackle is the more important position. In addition, moving him to RG and installing Spriggs at RT creates uncertainty at two positions, rather than one if they use Spriggs, Murphy, or Barclay at RG.
Only reason I'm on-board with sliding Bulaga inside is possibly less wear on his knees/ankles. He's done great on the outside last couple of years (post knee injuries) and maybe playing in space means less bodies falling on his legs? I think if Spriggs is one of the best 5 OL's and needs a place to play he'd excel at RT better than RG.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Spriggs is one of the best 5 OL's and needs a place to play he'd excel at RT better than RG.

This is the only reason I keep suggesting it. If you want your best 5 out there, it seems more likely to happen in this configuration.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I see shifting Bulaga to inside and Spriggs to outside and......these all sound like moves you make in the middle of a season in a pinch. It's the middle of March for Pete's Sake. Still FA's out there, the draft, trades, cuts, etc. I just don't think you take the mind set that "this is what we have to work with" and start moving guys around just yet, especially your #1 RT and your #3 second year tackle. Sure Spriggs was a costly 2nd round pick, but I still am not convinced he or Bulaga's future or best position is at Guard.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not saying they're changing their lineup in March before we've even gone through camp. We're saying if the season rolls around and our current 5 best guys are still our best 5 guys, this may be something we'd see.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We're not saying they're changing their lineup in March before we've even gone through camp. We're saying if the season rolls around and our current 5 best guys are still our best 5 guys, this may be something we'd see.

I get what people are doing. ;) I may have been saying that outloud for my own sanity and in hopes that TT is listening! :rolleyes:

Same thing we are all doing at the CB position, while holding our collective breaths. :speechless:

Fortunately, if a CB messes up, all it costs is a touchdown. An O-lineman doing the same could potentially cost AR's health and any chance the Packers have in 2017. In TT we trust, but I'm a bit nervous about that Oline and its depth.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I believe Spriggs will be given every opportunity, and then some, to take that job. That's assuming they don't move Bulaga to OG and plug Spriggs in at OT. I highly doubt the latter...maybe in 2018 if Spriggs proves up.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Spriggs is a great fit at guard but he will most likely get a chance to compete with Barclay, Patrick and probably a draft pick for the starting job.

I'm absolutely convinced Thompson won't spend an early round pick on an interior lineman as well.

Fortunately not a lot of other starters will become free agents in 2018.
Dix and Davante will also!

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not an expert, but everything I see says Spriggs isn't built to play inside, not to mention what TT paid for him (draft choices, not cash). Barclay is Barclay. Murphy is a 7th round holdover who hasn't played yet. None of those options give me a warm fuzzy - any could work, but...
Murphy is my dark horse for the job behind Spriggs. He played G at Stanford. If Dan Feeney slips out of 2nd, which I doubt. But if he does we should draft him. I still feel he will be top Guard of this class! Lamp will be good but Feeney is a stud. Both would be nice replacements for Lang IMO. I wish it was September!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Only reason I'm on-board with sliding Bulaga inside is possibly less wear on his knees/ankles. He's done great on the outside last couple of years (post knee injuries) and maybe playing in space means less bodies falling on his legs? I think if Spriggs is one of the best 5 OL's and needs a place to play he'd excel at RT better than RG.

I believe the offensive line would still be better with Bulaga at right tackle and another player than Spriggs starting at right guard even if that means the team doesn't have its five best players on the field.

Close, Burnett and Adams. The reason I didn't bring it up is WIMM said there aren't many others - depends on how one defines two more. :)

Compared to this offseason there will be a lot less starters heading towards free agency in 2018.

Murphy is my dark horse for the job behind Spriggs. He played G at Stanford.

Murphy solely played tackle at Stanford.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Handing the guard job to Spriggs is a bad idea. He didn't play well last season, especially when he went in as guard. Maybe he makes a jump and is adequate but giving away starting jobs has never worked well in the past. Barclay would be a disaster. Looks like at this point that there isn't a good option for replacing both Lang and Tretter. Last season the o line stayed relatively healthy. That won't happen this year. Spriggs will be needed for depth at tackle. There is nobody currently on the roster to replace Taylor or Lindsley when they are hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

Handing the guard job to Spriggs is a bad idea. He didn't play well last season, especially when he went in as guard. Maybe he makes a jump and is adequate but giving away starting jobs has never worked well in the past. Barclay would be a disaster. Looks like at this point that there isn't a good option for replacing both Lang and Tretter. Last season the o line stayed relatively healthy. That won't happen this year. Spriggs will be needed for depth at tackle. There is nobody currently on the roster to replace Taylor or Lindsley when they are hurt.

I'm absolutely fine with addressing the guard position through the draft.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the offensive line would still be better with Bulaga at right tackle and another player than Spriggs starting at right guard even if that means the team doesn't have its five best players on the field.

Compared to this offseason there will be a lot less starters heading towards free agency in 2018.

Murphy solely played tackle at Stanford.
I can't say for sure but I believe he played Guard in a pinch.. Ill watch some tape today and find out

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't say for sure but I believe he played Guard in a pinch.. Ill watch some tape today and find out

Maybe Murphy lined up at guard for some snaps but his primary position was tackle for every single season at Stanford.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Murphy lined up at guard for some snaps but his primary position was tackle for every single season at Stanford.
But isn't that true of a lot of guards in the NFL? Weren't lang and Sitton tackles? I have no idea if Murphy can play guard but I thought a lot of nfl guards played tackle in college simply bc that is where you put your best lineman

D

Deleted member 6794

But isn't that true of a lot of guards in the NFL? Weren't lang and Sitton tackles? I have no idea if Murphy can play guard but I thought a lot of nfl guards played tackle in college simply bc that is where you put your best lineman

It's true that a lot of NFL guards played tackle during their college careers. Neither Spriggs nor Murphy strike me as a decent fit to move inside though.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. TT likes to draft OT's and convert them to OC/OG because they have the footwork of OT's. Some OG's in college are "plodders".