Special teams again rears its ugly head

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The special teams unit needs serious changing. Slocum needs to get the boot now, although with our punter and Crosby he would probably only get kicked 10 feet. Pathetic is the only word to describe from top to bottom.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
No doubt, I'm finally to the point where I think they need to look at bringing in a new special teams coach.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are so bad right now, I wouldn't even know where to begin to fix them...total overhaul maybe?

I think you hit it on the head, they need an overhaul. I don't know if something could be done in the draft or trading or if they think the need for a RB trumps this but it is a weak link in our armor and needs to be addressed before we progress farther into the season. Maybe it's a coaching thing, need for practice, running drills, studying other teams with excellent ST's. I dunno, but I do think this is something that can cost us a SB run if not fixed.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The special teams unit needs serious changing. Slocum needs to get the boot now, although with our punter and Crosby he would probably only get kicked 10 feet. Pathetic is the only word to describe from top to bottom.

I have been screaming for this guy (slocum)to get kicked to the curb since last year. TT is not doing anything to make it better either. Their were a couple pretty good punters in the draft this year. Has anyone seen Matt Dodge (rookie punter) punt this year? The hang time and distance was something I haven't seen a Packer punter do in a long long time.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Matt Dodge is Making a few Rookie mistakes..........but the guy can punt the ball 70 F'n yards !!!!

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for ****s sake guys we have a rookie punter and a few fluky fumbles and youre condemning everything 4 weeks in. jordy is usually very sure handed. the fumbles wont happen again, and is that really slocums fault? thats not a scheme issue. the punter had one terribad punt but the rest were good. the hester return shouldnt have counted because of a hold, not especially horrid coverage.

the punter will have some growing pains, but hes way better than anything weve had in the past few years.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
for ****s sake guys we have a rookie punter and a few fluky fumbles and youre condemning everything 4 weeks in. jordy is usually very sure handed. the fumbles wont happen again, and is that really slocums fault? thats not a scheme issue. the punter had one terribad punt but the rest were good. the hester return shouldnt have counted because of a hold, not especially horrid coverage.

the punter will have some growing pains, but hes way better than anything weve had in the past few years.

It's not Jordy that makes me worried. It's the same terrible lack of coverage that they had last year.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You can say what you want...........our special teams has sucked *** during Slocums time in Greenbay! I am not blaming Jordy Nelson either. I think he has done a pretty good job other than that last fumble. C'mon man........be real.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slocum's schemes havent been the best, no but until the bears game everyone was praising them for hte great KRs. our problem in past years was the **** poor punters

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slocum's schemes havent been the best, no but until the bears game everyone was praising them for hte great KRs. our problem in past years was the **** poor punters

Agreed. Thing about that is, their were at least 3 pretty good punters in the draft that are way better than the one we have now. Spending a 5th rounder on a punter that will be with the team for the next 7 to ten years is what we need. Not some guy that that will just be ok. Field position means alot. Putting the opposing team back around the 20 or 15 is a hell of alot better than having them start at the 37. Having a kickoff go out of bounds cannot happen. Bottom line is MM and TT keep saying they have been putting alot of effort into special teams this year. I guess getting 2 scrubs no one ever heard of...........one of which never even touched a F'n football in his life, to compete for the punting job..........is putting alot of effort into special teams. Actually........in reality......its Ted Thompson trying to pay the minimum for a kicker/punter.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Thing about that is, their were at least 3 pretty good punters in the draft that are way better than the one we have now. Spending a 5th rounder on a punter that will be with the team for the next 7 to ten years is what we need. Not some guy that that will just be ok. Field position means alot. Putting the opposing team back around the 20 or 15 is a hell of alot better than having them start at the 37. Having a kickoff go out of bounds cannot happen. Bottom line is MM and TT keep saying they have been putting alot of effort into special teams this year. I guess getting 2 scrubs no one ever heard of...........one of which never even touched a F'n football in his life, to compete for the punting job..........is putting alot of effort into special teams. Actually........in reality......its Ted Thompson trying to pay the minimum for a kicker/punter.

we tried the 3rd(?) round punter. he flamed out harder than most iirc

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember that. BJ Sanders didn't work out with us or the other team that picked him up after we cut him. Don't know why........but it doesn't mean we couldn't try to get one in this years draft because he didn't work out.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true, everyone is different, but i really like massthay and he could be good for us once he gets some more experience

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be using a 3rd round pick either. Maybe a 5th at the very highest.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true, everyone is different, but i really like massthay and he could be good for us once he gets some more experience

Hope you are right. He's not that bad.......its just that I hate seeing stupid mistakes from anyone wether it be a rookie or a vet. I guess its more excusable from a rookie though if he can be coached. I just don't think Slocum is getting it done. I like what Jordy has been doing but I kinda wanted sheilds to get the punt return or kickoff return job cause of his speed. The guy just could not hold on to the ball. How hard is it to tell a young man how to catch a football???? Coach him. Its not rocket science. Make him catch as many balls a day until he gets it right.

Anyhow........I hope Massthay just keeps getting better.

Members online

Latest posts