Special Teams 2021-22

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Do we open the "Fire Rich Bisaccia" thread or wait a few weeks? :coffee:

I like this hire. Sounds like a good solid coach, good enough to be promoted to interim when Gruden was canned.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"Bisaccia’s resume as a special teams coordinator is unmatched by any other available candidate. He has 20 years of experience as an NFL special teams coordinator with another 12 years spent as an assistant head coach."

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing how they went from ST means nothing to needing the best in the business, because we realize we made some sucky decisions. Can't help but admire that zealousness....

Reaction score
Special Teams is really a morphed unit of players who generally look to play at some point on offense or defense. There are exceptions. Guys that fail in a position sometimes become heroes on ST. e.g. Desmond Howard. Travis Jervey was a surfer who wanted to be a RB. But his skills were that of a gunner. Chester Marcol who actually won games as a Packer kicker made his one claim to fame by picking up his own blocked kick and taking it for a TD. Mistakes on ST are going to happen. But consistent breakdowns in fundamentals are the responsibility of coaches. And if you have players that cannot come close to executing them then they should not be on ST. The other piece is player leadership. It is not all on the coach. In his last season as a Packer Ray Nitschke played almost exclusively on ST, not MLB. Does anyone remember old Bill Brown of the Vikings? His years as a back were over and done in the 60s. But he made his living at the end of his career as captain of the ST unit. And he was good at it. But this has to start at the top. And there have been teams that are near the bottom on both offense and defense but near the top in ST. The KC Chiefs in the 80s lost more often than winning. Yet there ST under the command of coach Frank Gansz was one of the best for a number of years.
Another one was our previous LB, also Ibraheim Campbell? He didn’t make the starting lineup but became a staple top 2-3 in tackles while here etc..
Another one was Banjo. That kid was superb on ST, always around the ball. He now is a career ST guru for Arizona. It probably wouldn’t take much $ to retain those top 2-3 ST coverage players. It’s more about lack of focus imo.

Well it appears it’s no longer a lack of focus now! Great catch getting a potential HC in Rich to man that Coordinator position. Love his experience level and his track record there in San Diego

Last edited:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Do we open the "Fire Rich Bisaccia" thread or wait a few weeks? :coffee:

I like this hire. Sounds like a good solid coach, good enough to be promoted to interim when Gruden was canned.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"Bisaccia’s resume as a special teams coordinator is unmatched by any other available candidate. He has 20 years of experience as an NFL special teams coordinator with another 12 years spent as an assistant head coach."

Bisaccia has also been the assistant HC on 4 teams during his 20 year NFL career - Bucs, Chargers, Cowboys. Spent his first 19 years a a college coach.
Everything I see indicates that this is a great hire.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/BisaRi0.htm

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright I said on here go get him...and they did, thank god. I can say we wont be losing in the playoffs in 2022 becas of the special teams

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one was our previous LB, also Ibraheim Campbell? He didn’t make the starting lineup but became a staple top 2-3 in tackles while here etc..
Another one was Banjo. That kid was superb on ST, always around the ball. He now is a career ST guru for Arizona. It probably wouldn’t take much $ to retain those top 2-3 ST coverage players. It’s more about lack of focus imo.

Well it appears it’s no longer a lack of focus now! Great catch getting a potential HC in Rich to man that Coordinator position. Love his experience level and his track record there in San Diego
didn't Banjo have some injuries and then a neck injury with us? I always liked him especially on ST's, but we were hit with some neck injuries and I don't think they wanted to mess around.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We seemed to cycle through a bunch of DB's back then. Trying to find the right ones. Seems like we threw away the good ones and kept the bad ones.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright I said on here go get him...and they did, thank god. I can say we wont be losing in the playoffs in 2022 becas of the special teams
we actually did lose in the playoffs in 2022 because of special teams. Jan, 22, 2022 to be exact :)

But I do like he investment and attention to special teams they've made. I expect it will be much improved.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright I said on here go get him...and they did, thank god. I can say we wont be losing in the playoffs in 2022 because of the special teams
We may not be losing in the playoffs in 2022 because of special teams because we may not be IN the playoffs in 2022.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We may not be losing in the playoffs in 2022 because of special teams because we may not be IN the playoffs in 2022.

Well i absolutely dont believe that the Packers will let rodgers and adams out of the building. So im pretty confident theyll be in the playoffs after the 2022 season

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well i absolutely dont believe that the Packers will let rodgers and adams out of the building. So im pretty confident theyll be in the playoffs after the 2022 season
Maybe. I certainly hope so. But if they are still in the building will anyone else be?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
@TomSilverstein

It's official: the #Packers have agreed to terms with former #Raiders interim coach Rich Bisaccia to become their new special teams coaches. It's likely he is now the highest-paid ST coach in the NFL.

I saw that last part and wondered if that is penance for not giving a damn about special teams for so many years.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lets not forget our buddy, Jeff Janis. He was one of the best gunners on ST.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@TomSilverstein

It's official: the #Packers have agreed to terms with former #Raiders interim coach Rich Bisaccia to become their new special teams coaches. It's likely he is now the highest-paid ST coach in the NFL.

I saw that last part and wondered if that is penance for not giving a damn about special teams for so many years.
Bisaccia interviewed for a few HC positions, so he probably wanted to be paid near what an HC would make.

Reaction score
First order of business for Bisaccia...Henry Black out, Bojorquez holding out, Crosby out, Long snapper out, Lowry and Lancaster out...it might be time to give buggar his dream shot at kicking extra points...:roflmao::confused:
All good Extra Points.
I’ll just be Holding on while you Kick these ideas around..
It should be done in a Snap :tup:

Members online

Latest posts