Special Teams 2021-22

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to debate the Bears too much here, because they still suck. However, the little I watched them this season, there defense was for the most part pretty good, but injuries hurt them at times. Also, once again, they had a bad QB. I can say "Bad" because when you compare Fields to a top QB, he is bad. Maybe he will develop, but he is an OSU QB, so I have my doubts.
Whoa!!! Don't let Mike Gundy hear you say that!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that even an honest Bears fan would say that.
Back around Weeks 1 and 2 there were a number on this board that wrote off the Vikings but expressed concern over the Bears being a threat to the division title. Of course we had just gone through the New Orleans disaster and Fields came in for Dalton and actually won a few games. It may have taken only 8 wins to get in the post season. And the Bears were still in it for quite a while.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Does Malik look like a capable return man to you? I’m sure our return units aren’t blocking superbly but I’m also sure things aren’t always horrible either. Things open and close quick on all return teams. Good returners know how to press creases, set stuff up and navigate through.

I see him run up and get swallowed up before the 20 almost every time.
No, I don't like any of our return men. I also don't like the blocking on any of the return units or kick/punt units. It's been terrible across the board on all the special teams units. All season long.

Reaction score
Since 2007, he ranks 38th out of 46 kickers with at least four attempts in the playoffs in average yards per attempt though. That needs to be considered somehow though.
Does Mason Crosby (or any Kicker) make decisions on when to kick, punt or go for it? Do you actually believe GB was afraid to let him make a FG attempt due to him being inferior in the postseason?
I would say hard no to both
a K can only be judged on his performance in the realm of what attempts he is allowed. How did he perform on those attempts?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since 2007, he ranks 38th out of 46 kickers with at least four attempts in the playoffs in average yards per attempt though. That needs to be considered somehow though.
I missed this part and I have to say Captain, that is weak on your part to try and sneak that "ranking" in. I think OldSchool101 did a good job pointing out why.

That would be right up there with saying "Crosby hasn't hit a 58 yarder, while 5 others have." Of course, Crosby never attempted a 58 yarder.

Like I said, I am fine with you saying Crosby has had some rough regular seasons, but going after him in the playoffs, isn't the best thing to do and reaching with a stat like that?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Does Mason Crosby (or any Kicker) make decisions on when to kick, punt or go for it? Do you actually believe GB was afraid to let him make a FG attempt due to him being inferior in the postseason?
I'm sure Mason has let the coaches know his limitations for the temperature, stadium, wind, footing which the coaches take into account. I doubt they called for the FG team only to have Mason say no effin way I'm trying that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope Gute takes a look at drafting Utah's Britain Covey. Man that guy can fly, his kickoff return for a TD against the Buckeyes today was some great running.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would say hard no to both
a K can only be judged on his performance in the realm of what attempts he is allowed. How did he perform on those attempts?

I missed this part and I have to say Captain, that is weak on your part to try and sneak that "ranking" in. I think OldSchool101 did a good job pointing out why.

That would be right up there with saying "Crosby hasn't hit a 58 yarder, while 5 others have." Of course, Crosby never attempted a 58 yarder.

Like I said, I am fine with you saying Crosby has had some rough regular seasons, but going after him in the playoffs, isn't the best thing to do and reaching with a stat like that?

I'm not going after Crosby in the postseason at all but there's no reason to ignore that most of his field goals in the postseason have been chip shots either. I don't know about the reasoning behind it's but there's a chance the coaching staff doesn't have a whole lot of confidence in him on long kicks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
there's a chance the coaching staff doesn't have a whole lot of confidence in him on long kicks.
You would like to think that wouldn't you? I guess I would ask you to show me evidence that they don't have that confidence, instead of implying it. Quotes from coaches? Stats of how many times they passed on going for a long kick and went for it on 4th down instead.

D

Deleted member 6794

You would like to think that wouldn't you? I guess I would ask you to show me evidence that they don't have that confidence, instead of implying it. Quotes from coaches? Stats of how many times they passed on going for a long kick and went for it on 4th down instead.

Here we go, since 2007 the Packers actually have either gone for it or punted the ball on 13 of 22 plays from the opponents' 22 to 40 yard line on fourth down in the playoffs instead of kicking a field goal. Only once that decision was made based on time running out with the score being a deciding factor.

I'm well aware you will come up with another post making a random excuse for Crosby while completely ignoring the facts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here we go, since 2007 the Packers actually have either gone for it or punted the ball on 13 of 22 plays from the opponents' 22 to 40 yard line on fourth down in the playoffs instead of kicking a field goal. Only once that decision was made based on time running out with the score being a deciding factor.

I'm well aware you will come up with another post making a random excuse for Crosby while completely ignoring the facts.
I'm not making any excuses for Crosby in the Playoff, I don't have to, he has been near perfect. You are the one trying to imply that he only looks good because the Packers don't trust him in the playoffs. Going for it on 4th down, says nothing about not trusting Crosby, we saw that on Sunday night. 3 drives.....2 ended in FG's and 1 ended in going for it on 4th down and not making it. Did you look at each of those 12 situations where the Packers opted not to have Crosby kick and try to figure out why? Or did you just assume that they decided that he sucks and thus went for it or punted?

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to whether or not Mason Crosby has been a great kicker in the playoffs.

Reaction score
Here we go, since 2007 the Packers actually have either gone for it or punted the ball on 13 of 22 plays from the opponents' 22 to 40 yard line on fourth down in the playoffs instead of kicking a field goal.

It’s fine to take a position on an argument and in some respects I would even agree with you that Crosby has had some issues. However saying Crosby is not used in the playoffs for lack of performance (verses game situation, weather related etc..) is absolutely one the most ridiculous assertion I’ve seen you make.

I’m just elated he’s seemed to get in a groove. Confidence in his holder was on full display against the Vikings.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it was cold and the ball does not go as far in the cold. So you are less likely to kick long ones. The other guy kicked a 51 yarder and it was the longest ever in Lambeau in Jan.

Reaction score
Well, it was cold and the ball does not go as far in the cold. So you are less likely to kick long ones. The other guy kicked a 51 yarder and it was the longest ever in Lambeau in Jan.
That’s also a really good point. 51 was an NFL record in our stadium in January and I think it barely cleared if I recall?
You really wouldn’t even typically try anything past 45-47 yards area
Fine point

Last edited:

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kickers & punters are like goalkeepers in soccer. Lose a game & the goal keeper is to blame even though the centreforward missed 300 open goals (hyperbole) & the keeper saved 300 but let 1 in losing 1-0

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not making any excuses for Crosby in the Playoff, I don't have to, he has been near perfect. You are the one trying to imply that he only looks good because the Packers don't trust him in the playoffs. Going for it on 4th down, says nothing about not trusting Crosby, we saw that on Sunday night. Did you look at each of those 12 situations where the Packers opted not to have Crosby kick and try to figure out why? Or did you just assume that they decided that he sucks and thus went for it or punted?

As predicted, you completely ignore the numbers you asked for and come up with another random excuse for Crosby.

I have taken a look at those 12 plays (which obviously you haven't) and figured out that the Packers didn't have to either go for it or punt the ball. I have absolutel no idea why they decided to do it but it shouldn't be ignored.

As I have mentioned repeatedly Crosby has great stats in the playoffs but it's ignorant to not consider that he hasn't been put into tough situations.

I have seen a lot of posters criticizing quarterbacks for struggling on deep throws while padding their stats with receivers getting yards after the catch but when something similar is mentioned regarding Crosby most of you consider that as blasphemy.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to whether or not Mason Crosby has been a great kicker in the playoffs.

Yes, that's definitely true.

However saying Crosby is not used in the playoffs for lack of performance (verses game situation, weather related etc..) is absolutely one the most ridiculous assertion I’ve seen you make.

Just to clarify, I don't know why the Packers haven't used Crosby on longer field goals in the playoffs. It's a fact they haven't though.

Ah, the "it's so tough to kick at Lambeau" argument once again. Yet since 2007, Crosby has only attempted a single field goal from more than 40 yards in Green Bay while opponents have done that six times.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
This is what I will say about Crosby. I don't have the stats for any of this. When Crosby kicked I always figured he was going to make it. Not this season. Every time we line up I think "here we go". "The adventure of kicking". When the kick goes up I either getting a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach or my heart feels like it's going to jump out of my chest. To sum it up, I don't trust Crosby at all. Every time he kicks he makes me nervous.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When the kick goes up I either getting a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach or my heart feels like it's going to jump out of my chest. To sum it up, I don't trust Crosby at all. Every time he kicks he makes me nervous.
Strap yourself in for the playoffs then, I highly doubt they will be making a change. While I get why people feel this way, due to all the issues that the kick team had midseason, they seemed to have figured it out. Going into the playoffs, I don't think there is another kicker, besides maybe Justin Tucker, that I would rather have kicking for the Packers. However, even the great Justin Tucker is only 6 of 10 in his career during the playoffs, so I might have to rethink that.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Strap yourself in for the playoffs then, I highly doubt they will be making a change. While I get why people feel this way, due to all the issues that the kick team had midseason, they seemed to have figured it out. Going into the playoffs, I don't think there is another kicker, besides maybe Justin Tucker, that I would rather have kicking for the Packers. However, even the great Justin Tucker is only 6 of 10 in his career during the playoffs, so I might have to rethink that.
I'm not advocating to make a change at kicker and I'm already on the edge of my seat awaiting these playoffs. GPG!

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby had a bad snap V Vikings & made the FG. He still has it & he usually has a short attempt as our offence get , usually, good gains not often we go three & out.

Also a question for all you who know way more about the game than me. I noticed the officials had 2 flags in the game V Vikings. One the usual yellow & the other blue. Is the blue one in case they need to flag another foul?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One the usual yellow & the other blue. Is the blue one in case they need to flag another foul?
I was going to be a smart arse and tell you that one of the Vikings must have lost their panties, but what you probably saw was a bean bag. The refs throw those to mark/spot where the ball was fielded on a punt or kick, fumble, spot of foul, etc.

Sometimes you will see a ref throw his hat too. That is either because he is out of flag/bags or a player stepped out of bounds.

Members online

Latest posts