Special Teams 2021-22

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It could be interpreted that the coaching staff didn't have confidence in Crosby attempting longer field goals as well.
Yet they were confident enough to let him kick a 56 yarder against Dallas? Come on Captain, that wasn't the reason why he has been a perfect 4 of 4 during that time. It is simply because the situation never came up to have him kick a longer one.

You are trying way to hard to discredit Crosby during playoff games and it just isn't something to go after at this point.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if they continue to let Malik return kick offs; he is going to break one. He comes with a lot of speed and north south.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think if they continue to let Malik return kick offs; he is going to break one. He comes with a lot of speed and north south.
Or fumble one out of bounds ;)

While he may be about all we have left, his 18.9 average on 14 returns doesn't get me too excited.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or fumble one out of bounds ;)

While he may be about all we have left, his 18.9 average on 14 returns doesn't get me too excited.
That was a bad mistake. The mistake being not catching the ball. I would like to give him chances.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all thegrowth I saw from him as a receiver this preseason, I feel he brings very little in the return dept. I just don't see it. Doesn't seem to navigate traffic, pick a hole, have that burst to hit it and get thru etc.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For all thegrowth I saw from him as a receiver this preseason, I feel he brings very little in the return dept. I just don't see it. Doesn't seem to navigate traffic, pick a hole, have that burst to hit it and get thru etc.
Sadly, I was going to ask "who are you referring to"? However, I realize that your analysis pretty much sums up every guy they have put back there to return.

I have heard some say that Amari is young and just needs more experience. Well honestly, I think it was one of the reasons that the Packers drafted him. They went after a solid WR, that had decent experience as a punt returner in college.

So many excuses and this just feels too much like what we were going through with previous ST coordinators as well as DC's.

MLF is really putting himself in a bit of a bind here if Special Teams don't improve and if they don't, will he still stand behind Drayton after the season is over?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That was a bad mistake. The mistake being not catching the ball. I would like to give him chances.
Right, but he also was responsible for a fumble on a punt return when he got too close to Amari and the ball deflected off of him. I'm not trying to pick on Taylor, but like Shepherd and a few others before him, lots of chances at both special teams and on offense and just not that good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, I was going to ask "who are you referring to"? However, I realize that your analysis pretty much sums up every guy they have put back there to return.

I have heard some say that Amari is young and just needs more experience. Well honestly, I think it was one of the reasons that the Packers drafted him. They went after a solid WR, that had decent experience as a punt returner in college.

So many excuses and this just feels too much like what we were going through with previous ST coordinators as well as DC's.

MLF is really putting himself in a bit of a bind here if Special Teams don't improve and if they don't, will he still stand behind Drayton after the season is over?
above I was talking about Malik.

Amari looks like he could be a returner, but the lights seem to bright for him so to speak. I think he can catch and field punts well, but I think he tightens up. When he has had chances to return, he's looked more comfortable and fluid.

Of course you can't just be good at one part, you have to catch and then run consistently.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Amari returned Punts for 4 years at Clemson, which like I said, was probably one of the reasons he was an attractive draft pick for the Packers, he addressed 2 needs. Maybe the NFL lights are too bright for him this year and he will settle in. However, nobody should say that this is all new to him, because it isn't.

College Punt return Stats:

68 returns, 529 yards, 7.8 yd ave. and 1 TD.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Where are you seeing holes to run through? The blocking on both of our return units is atrocious.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are you seeing holes to run through? The blocking on both of our return units is atrocious.
Yeah, what I do like about Taylor on the KO return is that he gets up to speed and runs north south. He looks like he is trying to make something happen and also has the ability and grit to do it. imo

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Malik look like a capable return man to you? I’m sure our return units aren’t blocking superbly but I’m also sure things aren’t always horrible either. Things open and close quick on all return teams. Good returners know how to press creases, set stuff up and navigate through.

I see him run up and get swallowed up before the 20 almost every time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yet they were confident enough to let him kick a 56 yarder against Dallas? Come on Captain, that wasn't the reason why he has been a perfect 4 of 4 during that time. It is simply because the situation never came up to have him kick a longer one.

That was five years ago though. I'm not convinced MLF would feel comfortable about Crosby attempting a long field goal in the playoffs this year.

You are trying way to hard to discredit Crosby during playoff games and it just isn't something to go after at this point.

On the other side, you are trying way too hard to defend Crosby during the regular season. I'm really curious to know why you're adamant about solely taking a look at field goal percentage when talking about his success in the playoffs while trying to rebut the numbers during the regular season using various excuses.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On the other side, you are trying way too hard to defend Crosby during the regular season.
I think you are confusing my opinion from previous years, with what it is now. In the past month or so, I have stated that the Packers should bring competition in next season and that this could be his final season in Green Bay. However, none of what I said had anything to do with his playoff performances, since the guy has been rock solid in the playoffs to this point. This year may or may not be different, but we will have to wait and see.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Lefleur’s press conference was interesting. He was obviously not happy with the Long Snapper. When asked what happened on the delay of game on the Punt Lefleur flat out said “you’ve got to snap the ball…. It was called for multiple times in that instance”…

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Watching Lefleur’s press conference was interesting. He was obviously not happy with the Long Snapper. When asked what happened on the delay of game on the Punt Lefleur flat out said “you’ve got to snap the ball…. It was called for multiple times in that instance”…
I really hope that they can work through all of these special teams issues, but they seem to be getting worse, before they are getting better and rearing their heads in all sorts of ugly ways. Which is another reason that I think you have to look hard and long at Drayton.

Ultimately the buck stops with MLF, that is, if it is his decision on the hiring and firing of another coach. If the mistakes continue and cost us a game and/or a playoff seating, someone better step forward and take the responsibility. It would be awful to get all the way to the NFCCG again and a boneheaded special teams error costs us the game.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope that they can work through all of these special teams issues, but they seem to be getting worse, before they are getting better and rearing their heads in all sorts of ugly ways. Which is another reason that I think you have to look hard and long at Drayton.

Ultimately the buck stops with MLF, that is, if it is his decision on the hiring and firing of another coach. If the mistakes continue and cost us a game and/or a playoff seating, someone better step forward and take the responsibility. It would be awful to get all the way to the NFCCG again and a boneheaded special teams error costs us the game.
Yeah. It's nice to hear all this stuff about how Drayton's liked by the players and he's a good motivator and gets guys fired up and it's nice to see that (occasionally) they're able to identify specific issues to correct, but it's all for what? Drayton being well-liked and a good motivator means nothing if he can't find a way to motivate his players to perform. LaFleur or whoever being able to say "here's what we got wrong" is good to be able to recognize, but if the guy in charge of that unit can't find a way to rectify that mistake, then who cares?
So I don't know. They're saying a lot of the right things but I think at the end of the day it's a results business and they just haven't been there. And I've got a hunch that a lot of the squad's feelings on the guy will probably change if they lose in the postseason on special teams error(s).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've got a hunch that a lot of the squad's feelings on the guy will probably change if they lose in the postseason on special teams error(s)
Agree and I said something similar the other day. Sometimes the upbeat guys, friends with everyone and U-Rah Rah guys don't make great coaches but great assistants. This may have been the situation with Drayton. I also think it speaks volumes that some of the veteran players had to harp on the younger guys about playing better after the Chicago game. Isn't that the Special Teams coaches job?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. It's nice to hear all this stuff about how Drayton's liked by the players and he's a good motivator and gets guys fired up and it's nice to see that (occasionally) they're able to identify specific issues to correct, but it's all for what? Drayton being well-liked and a good motivator means nothing if he can't find a way to motivate his players to perform. LaFleur or whoever being able to say "here's what we got wrong" is good to be able to recognize, but if the guy in charge of that unit can't find a way to rectify that mistake, then who cares?
So I don't know. They're saying a lot of the right things but I think at the end of the day it's a results business and they just haven't been there. And I've got a hunch that a lot of the squad's feelings on the guy will probably change if they lose in the postseason on special teams error(s).
Business is business. Listen to Hicks trying to stand up for Nagy last night. The Bears were fired up and I bet a lot of them like him and have been trying to save his job. But it is about winning. And Nagy just cannot do it. The Bears definitely need a new head coach. I know ST has been an issue for many years. But truthfully we have gone from bad to worse. When that happens usually you go back to square one and tear the whole building down. All teams have injuries that disrupt their ST units. The good coaches know how to make the most of what they have. Now if the personnel remaining are that bad then discussion with La Fleur and Gute must take place.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Business is business. Listen to Hicks trying to stand up for Nagy last night. The Bears were fired up and I bet a lot of them like him and have been trying to save his job. But it is about winning. And Nagy just cannot do it. The Bears definitely need a new head coach. I know ST has been an issue for many years. But truthfully we have gone from bad to worse. When that happens usually you go back to square one and tear the whole building down. All teams have injuries that disrupt their ST units. The good coaches know how to make the most of what they have. Now if the personnel remaining are that bad then discussion with La Fleur and Gute must take place.
Shush.....the Bears should stick with their current coaching staff, resign Jimmy Graham to a 3 year $50M deal and bring back Jay Cutler. That is what is best for the Packers....I mean...Da Bears.

Oh....but they definitely need to get rid of that Air Raid siren, I think that is causing problems.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, does Nagy really have the guys to win with? He has a rookie QB (albeit with great upside) that is going through rookie issues. He doesn't have an OL or a decent WR corps. He's got a good RB and TE. That's it. Defense is filled with playmakers on the first two levels, but injuries haven't helped there either.

Nagy certainly could and should be doing better with what he has, but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement with any coach. He will be gone after this season but I think that the Bears issues right now are more related to the GM and players than who is calling the plays.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, does Nagy really have the guys to win with? He has a rookie QB (albeit with great upside) that is going through rookie issues. He doesn't have an OL or a decent WR corps. He's got a good RB and TE. That's it. Defense is filled with playmakers on the first two levels, but injuries haven't helped there either.

Nagy certainly could and should be doing better with what he has, but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement with any coach. He will be gone after this season but I think that the Bears issues right now are more related to the GM and players than who is calling the plays.
He cannot win a SB with what he had in Chicago. But certainly could have made the playoffs. When you start a season with Quinn, Mack, and Hicks on your D line you are halfway there. The Bears D could have resembled the Lovey units with Urlacher and Tillman. They would not put up a lot of points but they would not give up a lot either. With Hebert and Montgomery they can run the ball even with that line. We saw what Grant can do. And even Fields when he is coached correctly can make plays. Chicago sports analysts have said the team is way out of sync and undisciplined. Nagy has way too complicated an offense for a young group. It is almost impossible for all 11 to be on the same page. Maybe even 8 or 9. To be honest. They should have kept Trubisky and let him be the guy to take the licks again instead of Dalton. But with that said we cannot complain. But who will their next coach be? It can impact us.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He cannot win a SB with what he had in Chicago. But certainly could have made the playoffs. When you start a season with Quinn, Mack, and Hicks on your D line you are halfway there. The Bears D could have resembled the Lovey units with Urlacher and Tillman. They would not put up a lot of points but they would not give up a lot either. With Hebert and Montgomery they can run the ball even with that line. We saw what Grant can do. And even Fields when he is coached correctly can make plays. Chicago sports analysts have said the team is way out of sync and undisciplined. Nagy has way too complicated an offense for a young group. It is almost impossible for all 11 to be on the same page. Maybe even 8 or 9. To be honest. They should have kept Trubisky and let him be the guy to take the licks again instead of Dalton. But with that said we cannot complain. But who will their next coach be? It can impact us.
Not to debate the Bears too much here, because they still suck. However, the little I watched them this season, there defense was for the most part pretty good, but injuries hurt them at times. Also, once again, they had a bad QB. I can say "Bad" because when you compare Fields to a top QB, he is bad. Maybe he will develop, but he is an OSU QB, so I have my doubts.

Members online

Latest posts