Special Teams 2021-22

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain, captain, captain. You are in such a hurry to correct others you do not always follow along. A poster and I were discussing if GB had made both field goal attempts (since this is the special teams thread). He felt at 10-6 in the 2nd half MLF would have run more. I just wanted to show how it very well could have been 10-6 since he did not account for KC going from 13 to 10 only discussing how GB could have gone from 0 to 6. But hey you got me again you stud you.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Now you find yourself no room on game day for a 3rd QB, a FB, or even an extra DL if you need it.
When was the last time you saw the need for a 3rd QB to be active on Gameday? Why isn't there room for a FB or an extra DL? Teams have to prioritize their players for needs. Some players improve their chances of playing in the NFL, as well as maybe their pay, by being able to play multiple positions. Taysom Hill, probably would have never sniffed the playing field, had the Packers kept him.

If you manage a team and you would rather suit up a 3rd QB on gameday and let the regular center snap on XP and FG's, be prepared to answer angry questions when that backfires and people point out that no other team does that.

Finally, the NFL depends a lot on what the NCAA does with players and vice versa. Try and find a quality offensive center that also is a quality long snapper.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was the last time you saw the need for a 3rd QB to be active on Gameday? Why isn't there room for a FB or an extra DL? Teams have to prioritize their players for needs. Some players improve their chances of playing in the NFL, as well as maybe their pay, by being able to play multiple positions. Taysom Hill, probably would have never sniffed the playing field, had the Packers kept him.

If you manage a team and you would rather suit up a 3rd QB on gameday and let the regular center snap on XP and FG's, be prepared to answer angry questions when that backfires and people point out that no other team does that.

Finally, the NFL depends a lot on what the NCAA does with players and vice versa. Try and find a quality offensive center that also is a quality long snapper.
How bout the NFC Championship Game 2010 Pack vs. Bears? Helped us win and BJ Raji loved it. Also happened to the Bucs once on MNF.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We or the Bears had to go to their 3rd QB during the game?

Ahhh yes.

Very abstract and if you need to look at games where a designated LS was used, just pop up the scores from the last 10 or so years, for almost every game. ;)
Would have been interesting if Cutler did not go down.

D

Deleted member 6794

When Thompson was GM the average age of the entire roster was almost always amongst the youngest rosters in the NFL. I'm guessing that our roster is somewhere around league average now.

You're right, entering the season there were 15 teams in the league with a younger roster than the Packers. That might have changed by now though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that most of you have left your pitch forks burning, ready to pounce on Drayton at the end of the season. However, I'm going to challenge all of you to keep evaluating things. Everyone seems to have come around on Joe Barry's defense, which had problems but has found its form. The obvious difference is that there are still some issues occurring on special teams. New coaches take some time to get things together. The DC and ST coaches were new and both seem to be finding a groove.

Let's talk about what has improved:

1) the problems with blocking on FGs and punts has improved, despite teams seemingly testing it every week by going for more blocks than usual
2) the FG holding situation seems to have improved. The times Crosby has missed a kick recently, I've gone back to look. Even on the miss against the Rams, the laces were out and the hold was perfect. The holding has gotten better. It's now mostly a Crosby issue.
3) Coverage has gone from adequate to superb in the second half of the season

Believe it or not, the Randall Cobb muffed punt was good coaching. Apparently the Packers had a contingency plan in place for windy days such as against the Rams. The plan was that Cobb would return those kicks, which is why on that end of the field they put Cobb out there. While I didn't like losing the ball, I can appreciate that the Packers had a plan in place.

At this point of the season, it seems that most of the ST problems are player execution issues more than scheme and coaching. None of us are satisfied and know that ST misqueues can end a team's Super Bowl hopes, but I think that we should acknowledge the improvements.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve been happy with our coverages. I just don’t think we have a return man on the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess 22nd is better than 32nd, but I would still say that the Special Teams unit is far from special. Should Drayton be given another year to prove himself? Probably, but a championship caliber team, with the depth that the Packers seem to have, should be better on Special Teams in my opinion.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess 22nd is better than 32nd, but I would still say that the Special Teams unit is far from special. Should Drayton be given another year to prove himself? Probably, but a championship caliber team, with the depth that the Packers seem to have, should be better on Special Teams in my opinion.

Everybody complained about those 18 straight TDs given up in the red zone but there is no way we are # 1 in opponent FG attempts and FGs made if we keep them from scoring TDs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that most of you have left your pitch forks burning, ready to pounce on Drayton at the end of the season. However, I'm going to challenge all of you to keep evaluating things. Everyone seems to have come around on Joe Barry's defense, which had problems but has found its form. The obvious difference is that there are still some issues occurring on special teams. New coaches take some time to get things together. The DC and ST coaches were new and both seem to be finding a groove.

Let's talk about what has improved:

1) the problems with blocking on FGs and punts has improved, despite teams seemingly testing it every week by going for more blocks than usual
2) the FG holding situation seems to have improved. The times Crosby has missed a kick recently, I've gone back to look. Even on the miss against the Rams, the laces were out and the hold was perfect. The holding has gotten better. It's now mostly a Crosby issue.
3) Coverage has gone from adequate to superb in the second half of the season

Believe it or not, the Randall Cobb muffed punt was good coaching. Apparently the Packers had a contingency plan in place for windy days such as against the Rams. The plan was that Cobb would return those kicks, which is why on that end of the field they put Cobb out there. While I didn't like losing the ball, I can appreciate that the Packers had a plan in place.

At this point of the season, it seems that most of the ST problems are player execution issues more than scheme and coaching. None of us are satisfied and know that ST misqueues can end a team's Super Bowl hopes, but I think that we should acknowledge the improvements.
One year MM put Woodson back there to hold onto the catch. He made a very good return but one of the Bears knocked it out at the end.

D

Deleted member 6794

You know it's an issue once a coordinator gets applaued for his unit losing the ball :D

According to Football Outsiders the Packers rank 30th in special teams DVOA. Bojorquez is the only reason they aren't dead last.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
One area that the team has made a massive improvement in 2021 is their coverage unit. I have no stats to back this up, but compared to past seasons the punt coverage and stick off has looked pretty good. Obviously punting in general has been upgraded, but have to give some love to the coverage guys.

Kick return, punt return and field goal unit is painful though. They are the kind of bad that loses an NFC championship game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
One area that the team has made a massive improvement in 2021 is their coverage unit. I have no stats to back this up, but compared to past seasons the punt coverage and stick off has looked pretty good. Obviously punting in general has been upgraded, but have to give some love to the coverage guys.

Kick return, punt return and field goal unit is painful though. They are the kind of bad that loses an NFC championship game.
Blocking on the return units is just bad and has been for years. Field goal unit is terrible the entire year. Most likely not going to see fixes this year I'm afraid.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Blocking on the return units is just bad and has been for years. Field goal unit is terrible the entire year. Most likely not going to see fixes this year I'm afraid.
Sadly, I agree fully with you.

I know some are looking to put the blame on players, saying the coaches don't play. While I think there might be a bit of truth to that, but besides having a much better punter, I just don't see that Drayton made any kind of improvements on Special Teams. The FG unit has been terrible. Return units god awful. Coverage teams aided by a much better punter and kickoff coverage....meh.

I will stand by what most of us felt, promoting Drayton was a bad idea. Go out and find a coach with a fresh new approach to making special teams special.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, I agree fully with you.

I know some are looking to put the blame on players, saying the coaches don't play. While I think there might be a bit of truth to that, but besides having a much better punter, I just don't see that Drayton made any kind of improvements on Special Teams. The FG unit has been terrible. Return units god awful. Coverage teams aided by a much better punter and kickoff coverage....meh.

I will stand by what most of us felt, promoting Drayton was a bad idea. Go out and find a coach with a fresh new approach to making special teams special.
They need to find someone with a proven track record in teaching blocking for returns and then be able to find players that can fill that role.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's strange that the field goal unit started out excellent, going a perfect 9-of-9. I don't know what happened thereafter as Crosby has made only 50% of his field goals since then.