Some Mid-Season Reviews

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night I combed through some of the old threads, comments, and predictions from the past offseason. Here are a few of my favorites when viewed through the Week 12 lens:

• The "Here We Go Again" injury thread after Abbrederis and Barclay had their pre-season injuries. It about stopped there.
  • The Packers are stuck in neutral while the Bears, Vikings, and Lions all got better through the draft and free agency: https://www.packerforum.com/threads/unrealistic-expectations.50044/page-2
  • The "Move Clay to ILB" thread. Big props to Eli Haugen for posting it this summer. Some of the replies were that the move would be illogical, people respectfully disagreed that it would be a good move, and even asked if the thread was a joke. No joke.
  • The "Breakout Player of 2014" thread featured guesses primarily for Colt Lyerla, Raji, Brad Jones, Datone, and props to JBlood for guessing "whomever plays center." So far Linsley has been that guy.
    • A side bet in the "Breakout" thread was who would get more snaps this season, Nick Perry or Datone Jones. So far it's HyponGrey's Nick Perry with 343 snaps vs ThxJackVainisi's Datone Jones with 227 snaps - through Week 11 stats.
  • Will Rodgers win a 2nd MVP before winning a second Super Bowl? Surprisingly we are on track for both, which was Amish's prediction for this season
  • Las Vegas win predictions for the NFC North: Bears - 8, Lions -8, Packers - 10, Vikings - 6
  • Props to Oshkosh for predicting that the Cleveland Browns would be much improved
  • Props to Ted Thompson for the newbot reporting of "Packers Decline To Pick Up 5th Year Option On Sherrod"
  • And finally, the list of Top 10 Concerns entering the 2014 season thread:
    1. Safety Learning Curve (not an issue)
    2. Smaller D-Line (kind of an issue still)
    3. ILB Woes (partially solved with the CM3 look)
    4. Aaron Rodgers' collarbone (not an issue)
    5. OL Uncertainty (rock solid starters)
    6. Tight End Situation (not resolved)
    7. Julius Peppers in a 3-4 (not an issue)
    8. First Game At Seattle (as feared)
    9. NFC North Has Gotten Better Around Us (not an issue)
    10. Injuries (knock on wood)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night I combed through some of the old threads, comments, and predictions from the past offseason. Here are a few of my favorites when viewed through the Week 12 lens:

• The "Here We Go Again" injury thread after Abbrederis and Barclay had their pre-season injuries. It about stopped there.
  • The Packers are stuck in neutral while the Bears, Vikings, and Lions all got better through the draft and free agency: https://www.packerforum.com/threads/unrealistic-expectations.50044/page-2
  • The "Move Clay to ILB" thread. Big props to Eli Haugen for posting it this summer. Some of the replies were that the move would be illogical, people respectfully disagreed that it would be a good move, and even asked if the thread was a joke. No joke.
  • The "Breakout Player of 2014" thread featured guesses primarily for Colt Lyerla, Raji, Brad Jones, Datone, and props to JBlood for guessing "whomever plays center." So far Linsley has been that guy.
    • A side bet in the "Breakout" thread was who would get more snaps this season, Nick Perry or Datone Jones. So far it's HyponGrey's Nick Perry with 343 snaps vs ThxJackVainisi's Datone Jones with 227 snaps - through Week 11 stats.
  • Will Rodgers win a 2nd MVP before winning a second Super Bowl? Surprisingly we are on track for both, which was Amish's prediction for this season
  • Las Vegas win predictions for the NFC North: Bears - 8, Lions -8, Packers - 10, Vikings - 6
  • Props to Oshkosh for predicting that the Cleveland Browns would be much improved
  • Props to Ted Thompson for the newbot reporting of "Packers Decline To Pick Up 5th Year Option On Sherrod"

Every offseason fans freak about what other teams do in free agency compared to what we do. It amuses me every time.

Reaction score

Thats an awesome thread.. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.. good research. It goes to show you it's very difficult to predict the future.. Ted Thompson doesn't have it so easy after all..

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do appreciate Rodell sticking with his team after an off-season where the Bears and Vikings got better while we were stuck in neutral. Reviewing these threads just wouldn't be nearly as much fun without his contributions back in January.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Every offseason fans freak about what other teams do in free agency compared to what we do. It amuses me every time.
I too find it great entertainment to watch the "buy high, sell low" crowd of fools desperately throwing huge contracts at guys. Shows me who the desperate knuckleheads are.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s what I posted, “BTW I'll bet if both are healthy, Datone plays more snaps than Perry (who you've posted 'may be better than Peppers').” HyponGrey posted:
Jones doesn't have the anchor to play DE in our 7 man front…
Later in the thread I posted, “Tyler Dunne reported when the 1s on defense first lined up today, the DL was Daniels, Raji, and Datone Jones. (With Clay at LOLB and Peppers at ROLB and Hawk and Brad Jones at ILB.) Of course they weren’t in pads and it is the first practice of TC, but it’s an indication Datone will get a shot at RDE in the base.” And HyponGrey responded:
I did say it would be RDE. Can't say I like it. Seems you're correct, DJ will get more snaps than Perry afterall :p
Not much of a bet, but beyond that, I have been disappointed with the play of Datone. Not that he’s been horrible, just that he hasn’t had a breakout season and he missed some games due to injury again. Perry has played pretty well – not to Peppers’ level – but pretty well and certainly better than Datone IMO.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew there was more to your "bet" with HyponGrey, but figured that you could (and did) elaborate if desired. Who knows how the season will finish out too.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts