SMH! Superbowl Bound?? I don't think so

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The beauty of making a statement like this is if you are right you get to say I told you so, and believe me they are not afraid to say I told you so, and if you are wrong everyone is too busy celebrating to call you on it and you can just blend in with the revelry. Its a safe prediction.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously.

Can we make a pact not to let the people back on the bandwagon that just jumped ship if/when we beat Carolina?

I don't even feel the Panthers game is a MUST win for our SB aspirations but good lord I can only imagine the freaking out that will happen if we lose

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It may be only one game, but have you looked at the schedule lately. All the upcoming teams have good defenses. In fact all our upcoming opponents are built around hitting the QB.

The biggest disappointment by far this year has been the offensive line, specifically their inability to run block at all. I don't care how well they were rated last year, they cant run block for crap. Having Aaron Rodgers consistently force the other team's safeties back should lead to a 1200+ yard rusher every year with decent OL. Eddie Lacy when healthy is still one of the best RB in the league, but OL is just too weak, slow and small.

Having a sub 300 pound LT isn't going to anchor a consistent run game. There is no answer on the roster that's for sure. The only way this team is going to SB this year is if Ted trades future high round draft picks which isn't going to happen.

Move Bahktiari to LG
Move Sitton to RG
Keep Linsley where he's at
Bench Lang
Bench Bulaga

Go get a real LT and a real RT
Also a good MLB wouldn't hurt.

These are all things a GOOD GM could have done in the offseason, not sit there with 10+ million in cap and give NO help whatsoever to one of the best QB's ever in a QB driven league.

Ted should be drafting one OL in the first two rounds every year. A smart GM would do everything he can to prolong the career of Rodgers and make sure he makes it to 40 in 1 piece.

If Ted had passed on Rodgers, do you honestly think Mike McCarthy or Ted would still be a GM or head coach in this league? They both grossly overrated, especially Ted.

So the online last year, they were good?

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't even feel the Panthers game is a MUST win for our SB aspirations but good lord I can only imagine the freaking out that will happen if we lose

It´s for sure not a must win for the Packers Super Bowl aspirations but the way the team is playing on the road vs. elite teams it would be a much needed confidence booster for the entire team. In addition it would be really tough to get the #1 seed in the NFC if the Packers lose at Carolina. And we all know the team is way better at Lambeau than on the road.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously.

Can we make a pact not to let the people back on the bandwagon that just jumped ship if/when we beat Carolina?

I can only imagine what the reaction would be if we lose. It'd honestly be hilarious, but hopefully we don't have to see it happen, and everyone's confidence in this team returns.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of today, I don't see anyone from the NFC beating anyone who wins the AFC.
Then again, today is only about halfway into the season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously.

Need a definition of jumping off the wagon. When, after a beatdown, one questions the destiny of the team, lowers their expectations, perhaps even points out deficiencies, have they jumped off? Don't want to see the trolls quoted, just looking for a explanation.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This being his first OC gig there's a little bit of worry in my mind that Edgar Bennett is in over his head right now.
Regarding a major change in scheme (more man-beater, fewer isolation routes) I think Bennett is third in line so it wouldn't matter if he were in over his head. Even though he's more involved with the other phases of the team now, certainly McCarthy is a major force in the offensive game plan and would be "the decider" regarding this kind of a change, and Clements is second in that regard - that's why he's calling the plays.

BTW, one of the worst posts I've seen in a while:
Move Bahktiari to LG
Move Sitton to RG
Keep Linsley where he's at
Bench Lang
Bench Bulaga

Go get a real LT and a real RT
Also a good MLB wouldn't hurt.
Think of how the OL was performing at the end of last season. And not that this is definitive but the unit that got McGinn's highest ranking on O for the Denver disaster was the OL.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of Bak needing to be replaced eventually and questionable depth at this point, the Oline is fine and good enough to win with.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the O line is not the problem nor one of the units that needed major attention this offseason. There's 4 good starters and 1 average one at that line and they had one rough half. Unless the team is now being run by the severely intoxicated middle aged man at the bar after an entire day of beer, wings, and watching football, we're not benching Bulaga or Lang or moving Bahk to guard.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, the O line is not the problem nor one of the units that needed major attention this offseason.

Well, inside linebacker is still in need of a major upgrade once Matthews moves outside, the cornerbacks have struggled mightily during the last two games and there´s no receiving threat or capable blocker at tight end.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... there´s no receiving threat or capable blocker at tight end.
I don't know if R. Rodgers has regressed but he certainly hasn't progressed and that has surprised me. Of course I didn't think he'd suddenly become faster but blocking and knowing where you're supposed to be on every play can both be improved with hard work and dedication. I thought he had both of those qualities. This is what McGinn had to say about him in his rating the Packers vs. Broncos piece:
Week after week, Richard Rodgers doesn't execute his block and two or three plays run amok. Can teammates have confidence in him? The Packers feel compelled to keep using Rodgers on almost every snap (51 of a possible 53 Sunday) because they apparently don't feel Justin Perillo (six) has enough horsepower to block and Kennard Backman (inactive) must not be ready.
Rodgers is young so he can obviously get better but it's disappointing he hasn't taken a big step up from year one to year two. When Quarless went on IR designated for return, I thought he'd just be adding depth when he got back. Now if he's up to speed for the playoffs, he could be a significant addition.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if R. Rodgers has regressed but he certainly hasn't progressed and that has surprised me. Of course I didn't think he'd suddenly become faster but blocking and knowing where you're supposed to be on every play can both be improved with hard work and dedication. I thought he had both of those qualities. This is what McGinn had to say about him in his rating the Packers vs. Broncos piece: Rodgers is young so he can obviously get better but it's disappointing he hasn't taken a big step up from year one to year two. When Quarless went on IR designated for return, I thought he'd just be adding depth when he got back. Now if he's up to speed for the playoffs, he could be a significant addition.
I'm also disappointed with RR. I thought we may have found a decent TE, but his blocking game is terrible and he's too slow. We'll see how his season progresses, hoping for the best.

Lex Luger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahktiari was rated as lg by many scouts in nfl while he played at colorado. Sitton is already pro bowl right guard. Youre better pass blocking guard plays left side and your bigger mauler plays right . Thats nfl o line 101. You cant get by long term with 290 6 foot 3 lt and 310 pound right tackle with 1 knee. Im trying to fix the problem, not ignore it till rodgers goes down. If you cant see the oline has been terrible this year youre blind.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sometimes I can't help but picture some posters on the other end looking like this.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Im trying to fix the problem, not ignore it till rodgers goes down.
Actually you aren’t. Maybe the search feature is wrong but it looks to me like the last time you posted on this forum before yesterday was August of 2013. Of course there’s nothing wrong with that but you are not suggesting a fix to the problem. If you were, that post would have had to happen before the most recent draft. Instead what you’re doing is using hindsight to say what Thompson should have done after the end of last season. And here’s what’s wrong with that: At the end of last season there was no reason to think the OL was a high-need priority as opposed to CB, ILB, or TE for example. The OL was performing well at the end of last season, particularly when protecting a QB playing on one good leg. And the O ran for about 120 yards and 4+ ypc against the Cowboys in the Divisional playoff game and for 135 yards at a 4.5 ypc clip against the Seahawks in the NFCCG.

Even if you were prescient enough to post your suggestions before the draft, benching Lang and Bulaga would have made no sense. Upgrading LT would have been a good idea but you can’t just snap your fingers or use a first rounder to automatically achieve that or Derek Sherrod would be starting at LT. Posting “Go get a real LT and a real RT. Also a good MLB wouldn’t hurt” is unrealistic in the extreme.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahktiari was rated as lg by many scouts in nfl while he played at colorado. Sitton is already pro bowl right guard. Youre better pass blocking guard plays left side and your bigger mauler plays right . Thats nfl o line 101. You cant get by long term with 290 6 foot 3 lt and 310 pound right tackle with 1 knee. Im trying to fix the problem, not ignore it till rodgers goes down. If you cant see the oline has been terrible this year youre blind.

Okay, let's enter this fantasy world here where the offensive line is the big problem on the team (it's not, it's become cliche to say over the years, but it's the best O line they've had in a long time despite any struggles run blocking lately).

You said then, you're trying to fix the problem. Okay, so you've inexplicably benched Bulaga and Lang. Who are you replacing them with? Barclay and Walker? Some Joe Schmo off the street? Surely if you're trying to fix the problem you're going to offer a solution. Benching Bulaga and Lang isn't a solution without replacements as we are still required to start 5 offensive linemen.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember which game it was at the beginning of the season,but our interior O linemen were rated some of the best in the league. Their fall off to me the last three games is because the receivers aren't able to get open when running their routes and therefore Rodgers has to hold on longer to the ball. Now that also hampers the running game because now they can commit less to the receivers and more to the run since the secondaries are doing a good job,ever how that may be of covering the receivers.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember which game it was at the beginning of the season,but our interior O linemen were rated some of the best in the league. Their fall off to me the last three games is because the receivers aren't able to get open when running their routes and therefore Rodgers has to hold on longer to the ball. Now that also hampers the running game because now they can commit less to the receivers and more to the run since the secondaries are doing a good job,ever how that may be of covering the receivers.

It's not a bad line. The run blocking hasn't been great but I believe it's fixable and this lines real strength has always been in pass protection. The pass protection in the first half was generally good against Denver. There were a couple breakdowns but plenty of other times that Rodgers had all day to throw and there was just no one open. The second half there were a lot more issues, but against a defensive line like Denver this isn't surprising or alarming especially playing from behind the entire game.

Seriously, our O line is so far down on the list right now of things that need fixing.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay will be in the tourney. Everything leading up to that point is prep. There are a lot if things I question that TT has done, but this is a good football team with an elite QB. We're "in the hunt" which is really all anyone is at this point. At this time last year Brady was supposedly washed up and the Patriots were on the way out. End of last year Manning was DONE and the Broncos window had slammed shut. Welcome to the NFL... Build adjust improve...and be at your best when it counts in January/February

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need a definition of jumping off the wagon. When, after a beatdown, one questions the destiny of the team, lowers their expectations, perhaps even points out deficiencies, have they jumped off? Don't want to see the trolls quoted, just looking for a explanation.

Lots of ways to describe it. But effectively if someone goes from "We got a SB contender" all the way to "Oh crap I got a feeling we're going to be one n done" all on the span of one week then I'd generally say they hopped off the bandwagon and should not be let back on.

Feel free to question the deficiencies. We got a few. But don't neglect the fact that every single team in the league has them

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question asked, question answered - wish that happened more often. :)

The main reason I asked is that I tend to think of the bandwagon as full of people that support/follow/root for the Packers, not those that have particular aspirations at a given time. I have been on the bandwagon since pre-Lombardi (the coach, not the trophy :)), and there were many, many years when one-and-done was a big leap from what I expected. I knew they were terrible, but they were the only team I cared about.

Addressing your specific description, I don't even now see much of a conflict between the two. The Packers have often been a SB contender and they've also been one-and-done enough that I can answer Yes when asked if either is true right now.

Finally, if we are free to address the deficiencies, why even bring up the bandwagon theme when we do so? Sure, every team has problems, but the Packers are our team, so I'm not inclined to worry about the troubles of the other guys.

Again, thanks for addressing the original question in such a ration manner. I hope my obvious disagreement is presented in the same way.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Years ago, there was this guy at a sports bar I went to for the games. At the begining of every season, he'd show up wearing the jersey of the team that won the previous super bowl.
That's bandwagon jumping.

Members online

Latest posts