SMH! Superbowl Bound?? I don't think so

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never expect anything with a McCarthy team. You think they're dominant and they'll look like crap for multiple games. Write them off and boom they just won the super bowl.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a plan, but winning all the home games and splitting the away games puts them at 12-4. That should get just about any team into the playoffs. After that, the crap shoot begins. I just wish that I could be more confident that this team will make it to the playoffs, let alone to go deep in the postseason.

I.E. 2014.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lost by one score with 1st and goal to tie. The opponent was 7-0 and at home.

The Packers were completely dominated until the Panthers thought the game was over. IMO there's no reason to feel good about yesterday's game because of the Packers nearly pulling off a comeback.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were completely dominated until the Panthers thought the game was over. IMO there's no reason to feel good about yesterday's game because of the Packers nearly pulling off a comeback.

When the Packers give up big late leads, such as vs. the Chiefs, the forum gets upset and says they shouldn't allow it to happen.

When it's the opposite and the Packers come back late though, it doesn't count though according to most posters and reactions.

I'm not seeing why it counts in one case, but not the other. (Not specifically saying Captain you are one of the posters who do this by the way).

D

Deleted member 6794

When the Packers give up big late leads, such as vs. the Chiefs, the forum gets upset and says they shouldn't allow it to happen.

When it's the opposite and the Packers come back late though, it doesn't count though according to most posters and reactions.

I'm not seeing why it counts in one case, but not the other. (Not specifically saying Captain you are one of the posters who do this by the way).

I understand that point of view but as you've said I don't put too much stock into an opponent scoring points omin garbage time so I don't either once the Packers do. Although I have to admit they made it surprisingly interesting in the end.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.. we didn't win but the team didn't give up. Now that these two high profile games are over we can concentrate on the division. If we take care of business, we'll be 10 and 2 after this stretch of division games.. Go Pack Go!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't see it that way (counts when other teams do it but not when the Packers do it)

Should Packers fans be happy when they give up late garbage time TDs such as vs the Chiefs? The fans are not really upset that the defense gives up points as they are that the offense seems to quit trying to score them. I think that's what makes most fans mad.

Two 4th quarter scores by any team that is down by 3 or more scores are not usually given as much credence as 2 1st quarter scores when the game is close. When the defense basically says "we don't care if you score as long as you take a long time to do it.

I'm not saying the two late scores by the Packers weren't good scores and they did make the game close but one has to wonder if the fact that the Panthers were up by 23 points with 9 minutes left didn't have something to do with it. Like maybe giving us the short stuff to eat up he clock. I just think, like captain does, that late scores like that may not be truly indicative of any "turning the corner" or "playing better"

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt super confident in this team after the first six games. These last two games have really shaken my confidence. The team, as a whole, has just looked so bad the past two weeks. The running game is nonexistent, receivers can't get open, the line can't block, the defense is getting no pressure (0 sacks in back-to-back games), the linebackers can't tackle and the defensive backs can't cover.

I thought the Packers were a far superior team to the Panthers, especially with the Panthers coming off of a short week, but I was obviously wrong. If the Packers can't beat good teams, especially on the road since the road to the Super Bowl no longer runs through Green Bay, this season is going to end in another disappointing playoff loss.

This coaching staff everybody loves so much needs to start making adjustments.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see it that way (counts when other teams do it but not when the Packers do it)

Should Packers fans be happy when they give up late garbage time TDs such as vs the Chiefs? The fans are not really upset that the defense gives up points as they are that the offense seems to quit trying to score them. I think that's what makes most fans mad.

Two 4th quarter scores by any team that is down by 3 or more scores are not usually given as much credence as 2 1st quarter scores when the game is close. When the defense basically says "we don't care if you score as long as you take a long time to do it.

I'm not saying the two late scores by the Packers weren't good scores and they did make the game close but one has to wonder if the fact that the Panthers were up by 23 points with 9 minutes left didn't have something to do with it. Like maybe giving us the short stuff to eat up he clock. I just think, like captain does, that late scores like that may not be truly indicative of any "turning the corner" or "playing better"

I agree. The Packers 4th quarter was very deceptive. I didn't see it as "the Packers making adjustments and playing better". I saw more as the Panthers being up by 20+ and relaxing.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.. we didn't win but the team didn't give up. Now that these two high profile games are over we can concentrate on the division. If we take care of business, we'll be 10 and 2 after this stretch of division games.. Go Pack Go!

I agree with you, but the problem is that Detroit and Chicago won't be in the playoffs. The Packers are eventually going to have to beat a good team in a high profile game (and more than likely on the road).

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, but the problem is that Detroit and Chicago won't be in the playoffs. The Packers are eventually going to have to beat a good team in a high profile game (and more than likely on the road).
I understand but I really feel that the Packers will get things fixed and roll into the playoffs at full speed! I think all teams have issues with schemes and communication, under performing. It's pretty hard to maintain complete 100% dedication and commitment. They'll be on top of their game come playoff time.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I absolutely guarantee you that if the Packers face Carolina again this year and go in with that mindset (we're good, almost beat them the first time, just get a few more bounces our way and we'll be fine), Carolina will put them in their place and they'll lose by a lot more than 8.

It's not that the comeback doesn't count or isn't nice to see. It's the fact that if they use that as a measuring stick of where they're at against the elite, they're going to drastically underestimate how far they're going to need to come to compete with the top teams. It's not that they can't do it, but they're a lot more than 1 score away from Carolin as a team right now.

Also, let's not pretend that the game situation doesn't affect the playcalling and strategy on both sides and allow for the game to get closer. We've seen it plenty of times the other way.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also some people are looking at it as if we had the game won if we scored there, when the reality is even if we scored a TD on that 4th down play we would have still had a 25% chance at best to win, as converting the 2 point try is a 50/50 at best and even if successful, saying we had a 50/50 chance at that point with the tie is generous since Carolina would be getting the ball back with 2 min needing a field goal to win.

Semantics, but I've seen people just go ahead and assume the tie score if we had scored a TD, when the reality is we had just as good of a shot at not converting it.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And, again, relativity, subjectivity, and semantics. Define your terms, and we might not have anything to discuss. For one thing, again, nobody (at least not I) is saying they 'can't' - 'don't think they can' isn't the same. Also, if you're going to define fandom as having to accept the record without being concerned about the deficiencies (ala, perhaps, 2011), then I'd politely say I don't agree with the definition and stop bothering to debate.

Some would contend that all "forums" are a place for relativity, subjectivity and semantics. They are "opinion" forums. That is what comprises discussion. It wouldn't be much of a forum if the only posts allowed were those with concretely verifiable fact and no subjectivity attached to it. It wouldn't even make for much discussion in a person's own living room. So I'm ok with subjectivity. It means people are addressing things from their own nature/nurture perspective.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you pal, since 1956 I've changed houses, wives, cars, jobs, underwear, socks and bathwater but the Green Bay Packers have been a constant in my life.
That will never change.

If you had changed your socks and underwear sooner you may not have had to change wives.

Latest posts