SMH! Superbowl Bound?? I don't think so

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another example of how relativity, subjectivity and semantics are at the root of most discussions here. I personally think there is a wide, wide gulf between thinking that they won't win and knowing that for sure. Heck, I've been disappointed enough recently to think that they won't make it, but, then again, I didn't think so in 2010, either.

I didn't either going into the last two games of the regular season when we were 8-6 and had to win out just to make the playoffs. It was finally after the Atlanta playoff game when I realized that this was actually happening and no team was going to stop us.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another example of how relativity, subjectivity and semantics are at the root of most discussions here. I personally think there is a wide, wide gulf between thinking that they won't win and knowing that for sure. Heck, I've been disappointed enough recently to think that they won't make it, but, then again, I didn't think so in 2010, either.

Just seems like a lazy cop-out to me for people to say they "don't think" they'll win. It's a super non-committal and super obvious response that people make so they can say "I told you so" if we fail, but still stay on the wagon if we clean house the rest of the way. We're 6-1 and in the driver seat. Believe in your team or choose another, imo.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned the Patriots were blown out 41-14 by the Chiefs last year. The 2012 Ravens lost 43-13 to the Texans, 34-17 to the Broncos, and had a 3 game losing streak in December. The 2011 Giants were 9-7 with 4 double digit losses.

No one is even saying that the Packers for sure are heading to the Super Bowl. Just providing evidence for how ridiculous it is to dismiss the possibility based on the result of one bad game. Particularly in a weak conference.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just seems like a lazy cop-out to me for people to say they "don't think" they'll win. It's a super non-committal and super obvious response that people make so they can say "I told you so" if we fail, but still stay on the wagon if we clean house the rest of the way. We're 6-1 and in the driver seat. Believe in your team or choose another, imo.

As I said earlier, the bold is the key. Also, is being non-committal any worse than proclaiming them as champs now and quietly backing out the door if they don't deliver? Heck, I didn't choose another team during the '70s and '80s, but I sure didn't believe in them, either - the Pack's been my team since pre-Lombardi, win or lose, but I reserve the right to think they may not be as good as others do.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said earlier, the bold is the key. Also, is being non-committal any worse than proclaiming them as champs now and quietly backing out the door if they don't deliver? Heck, I didn't choose another team during the '70s and '80s, but I sure didn't believe in them, either - the Pack's been my team since pre-Lombardi, win or lose, but I reserve the right to think they may not be as good as others do.

who the heck would do that? lol

i can understand not believing in a garbage team. this is not a garbage team. it's just weak fandom to say your 6-1 team can't win a superbowl. nobody knows what's going to happen until it's over. all we can know is what position we are currently in, and that is a good position.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who the heck would do that? lol

i can understand not believing in a garbage team. this is not a garbage team. it's just weak fandom to say your 6-1 team can't win a superbowl. nobody knows what's going to happen until it's over. all we can know is what position we are currently in, and that is a good position.

And, again, relativity, subjectivity, and semantics. Define your terms, and we might not have anything to discuss. For one thing, again, nobody (at least not I) is saying they 'can't' - 'don't think they can' isn't the same. Also, if you're going to define fandom as having to accept the record without being concerned about the deficiencies (ala, perhaps, 2011), then I'd politely say I don't agree with the definition and stop bothering to debate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm with you pal, since 1956 I've changed houses, wives, cars, jobs, underwear, socks and bathwater but the Green Bay Packers have been a constant in my life.
That will never change.

Spot on, no matter how bad the Packers were in the 70's and 80's I didn't miss a game and very few plays. Call me a glutton for punishment during some of those seasons, but really it was ALL just about watching a game played by a team I grew up to love. I know that according to the great Lombardi, "Winning is the only thing", but sometimes just the game in itself is the best thing.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Heck, I didn't choose another team during the '70s and '80s, but I sure didn't believe in them, either - the Pack's been my team since pre-Lombardi, win or lose, but I reserve the right to think they may not be as good as others do.
I could have written this exact same comment. We would have had to have been completely divorced from reality to think most - if not all - of those teams from the Dark Ages had a chance to win a title. But I followed them as avidly as I did before and do now. BTW, I don't think I read any post saying the Packers are sure-fire champs or don't have a chance, but maybe I missed 'em.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missed most of those posts. How many have said that? A lot of us are concerned about injuries, the level of play, coaching decisions, et. al. And, if the problems identified are corrected, it's probably going to be a short postseason. However, I've seen few that believe, at this point, that they 'for sure' aren't going to win it all.

Alright, "for sure won't win it" wasn't the right words.

"Will the Packer's make playoffs, I'm sure they will, will they get to the Superbowl....highly unlikely! I am not on this forum often, but when I am, I'm usually fired up on something." - That's pretty close though and I've seen plenty of posters saying something similar.

That phrase or anything similar is a big overreaction in the face of clear evidence that Super Bowl champs and contenders often have bad games.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd add again that it you look at the entire body of work, you'd be hard pressed to find an NFC team that has a better shot. Carolina? Sure right now, but does anyone really see them keeping this up? Arizona? Maybe, but they may end up being the 3rd best team in their division. Atlanta? I don't know. They've been struggling a bit more lately. Seattle? Sure, they could get hot and make a run. But we've got 3 games plus the tiebreaker on them right now. Get them at Lambeau in January, and I think most people like our odds.

Basically, we need to be respectable enough down the stretch to win the division and at least get a top 2 seed. Should be very doable especially since the East won't be a top 2 seed.

Last edited:

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our team will beat the Panthers and then never look back. 15 and 1 baby. First round bye. Quarless will be back and the Pack will be hitting 0n all cylinders going into the playoffs..

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Our team will beat the Panthers and then never look back. 15 and 1 baby. First round bye. Quarless will be back and the Pack will be hitting 0n all cylinders going into the playoffs..

This is the best scenario I have read all week! I'm jumping on PL's Band Wagon! :coffee:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, "for sure won't win it" wasn't the right words.

"Will the Packer's make playoffs, I'm sure they will, will they get to the Superbowl....highly unlikely! I am not on this forum often, but when I am, I'm usually fired up on something." - That's pretty close though and I've seen plenty of posters saying something similar.

That phrase or anything similar is a big overreaction in the face of clear evidence that Super Bowl champs and contenders often have bad games.

Bold above is basically my only real point in this discussion. Definitions and perspectives are important - what you consider synonymous may not even be close for others ('for sure' rather than 'highly unlikely') - determined, stubborn, and pig-headed can all be used in similar settings but obviously produce a much different reaction.

I understand you don't like others having reservations about the end of this season, but some of us look at the last four years and don't want to get too deeply invested.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I understand you don't like others having reservations about the end of this season, but some of us look at the last four years and don't want to get too deeply invested.
I try to be as objective as I can be about the Packers, but no matter what, I am and will remain "too deeply invested".

Members online

Latest posts