Silver linings - looking to 2018

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's your silver linings, and they have nothing to do with 2017, because yeah, this is a lost season:

1 - By far the most important, we will have the GOAT back and healthy for the 2018 season.

2 - We will have a top pick next year. And an early 2nd. We have to hit on them. Wolf is still here, and given that fact and Thompson's age, I have to guess that there have been some promises made as to his future role and a succession plan for Thompson is in place. That's my theory. This will be a crucial pick, and I have faith they won't entrust it to a lame duck.

3 - This season is the other shoe dropping on some major front office changes. It has to be. Other than the previously mentioned TT, who will likely either step down or be 'reassigned' ala Doug Melvin, I expect Capers and most of his coaching staff to get pink slips. It has to happen. It would be a damn shame if this was all for nothing. I don't find it terribly important that MM goes down as well; actually I'd prefer him back, but Thompson and the defensive coordinator and coaches are a must.

4 - Once that is accomplished, it's an exciting chance to get a bright young innovative mind running this defense. Those coaches and assistants are out there waiting for that opportunity. It's time to go that route. I don't know if the defense will get better overnight. But it COULD, and even if it doesn't, it's not going to get worse than it is right now. Which still, when coupled with Aaron Rodgers, gives us a contender. But it's absolutely time for a new direction.

There's no sugarcoating it, this is a lost season. We are 4-4, we may as well be 0-8. But with the things listed above happening there is plenty of reason to hope that we have a very different perspective at this time next year.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with the way I fear this season will go Ted won't get re-assigned, he'll get put out to pasture behind the scenes but allowed to retire publicly.

We were pathetically unready for an Aaron Rodgers injury. We have been pathetically unready to play NFL football with the defensive staff and personnel we have. Don't get me wrong I think our D-Line is stout but once you get into the Linebackers and DBs there are huge problems that should've been drafted or fixed via free agency. You can't just plug "guys" in, and Ted figured that out way too late especially in the secondary.

I do look forward to that top 10 pick next year myself. There is a lot of talent probably going all the way through the top 20 and any one of them could be #1 quality, and will be NFL ready almost immediately.

I have a firm belief that Wolf has been handling most GM duties for the better part of 18 months, including scouting and drafting. So that if he is given the job the drop off won't be there, and he can only go upwards from where he is.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's your silver linings, and they have nothing to do with 2017, because yeah, this is a lost season:

1 - By far the most important, we will have the GOAT back and healthy for the 2018 season.

That is actually the only silver lining heading into the 2018 season as the team lacks the talent to even put up a fight against most of other teams without Rodgers.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is actually the only silver lining heading into the 2018 season as the team lacks the talent to even put up a fight against most of other teams without Rodgers.

You and I just are probably never going to agree on this one. I actually think this is probably one of the more talented defensive units since the SB year.

I think between Clark, Daniels, Perry, Haha, Burnett, Martinez, King and Jones there is a pretty good mix of young and veteran defensive talent on the roster. I wouldn't even be in the least bit shocked if someone like Demarious Randall goes somewhere else and turns into a successful corner.

I think this unit is led by a coordinator who is getting absolutely left in the dust by opposing coordinators.

Get a pass rusher with the inevitable top 10 pick coming next year and a younger innovative coordinator and I'm actually pretty hopeful to see what can happen.

D

Deleted member 6794

You and I just are probably never going to agree on this one. I actually think this is probably one of the more talented defensive units since the SB year.

I think between Clark, Daniels, Perry, Haha, Burnett, Martinez, King and Jones there is a pretty good mix of young and veteran defensive talent on the roster. I wouldn't even be in the least bit shocked if someone like Demarious Randall goes somewhere else and turns into a successful corner.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind bringing in a different coordinator to coach the defense as Capers obviously doesn't get the job done. It's true that there's no way I agree the unit has a ton of talent though.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind bringing in a different coordinator to coach the defense as Capers obviously doesn't get the job done. It's true that there's no way I agree the unit has a ton of talent though.

As you mentioned before there's really no way to be able to properly diagnose the problem as long as TT and Capers remain.

For right now, replacing the GM would be kind of pointless and wouldn't tell us anything, although it should probably be done in the off-season.

However I do think replacing Capers now would probably be productive. It would give us a look at an interim coordinator to determine whether or not he's our guy going forward. It would also give us at least 8 games of data to get a little better idea of whether the talent or scheme is lacking.

D

Deleted member 6794

As you mentioned before there's really no way to be able to properly diagnose the problem as long as TT and Capers remain.

For right now, replacing the GM would be kind of pointless and wouldn't tell us anything, although it should probably be done in the off-season.

However I do think replacing Capers now would probably be productive. It would give us a look at an interim coordinator to determine whether or not he's our guy going forward. It would also give us at least 8 games of data to get a little better idea of whether the talent or scheme is lacking.

I would be fine with that approach as there's no reason to believe the Packers have a chance to make the playoffs this season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Athletically, you can make an argument that the Packers have some talent on the defense but Capers cant coach them up. Capers will stay as long as MM is there and MM will stay as long as TT is there and TT will stay as long as Murphy is there. Incompetence surrounded by incompetence tends to get cemented into place.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think this unit is led by a coordinator who is getting absolutely left in the dust by opposing coordinators.

Get a pass rusher with the inevitable top 10 pick coming next year and a younger innovative coordinator and I'm actually pretty hopeful to see what can happen.
this past month Randall has turned into a pretty decent corner here. all those other guys are good defensive players. We have too many guys with individual talent on defense to not be able to get off the field consistently.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Might be the last year we keep him. If your were Aaron Rodgers would you want to continue to prop up the Titanic. We could easily lose him.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be the last year we keep him. If your were Aaron Rodgers would you want to continue to prop up the Titanic. We could easily lose him.

Nah, I'm sure he already had a pretty good idea of how important he is to this team.

Honestly though, Rodgers could demand $40M a year and we would just have to go ahead and pay it. He won't (I think), but we have proven that we are nothing without him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Nah, I'm sure he already had a pretty good idea of how important he is to this team.

Honestly though, Rodgers could demand $40M a year and we would just have to go ahead and pay it. He won't (I think), but we have proven that we are nothing without him.

Why would he not want to go to a team with a good defense already in place and a better roster to have a better chance to win more Super Bowls. He has won a Super Bowl and been an MVP. He doesn't owe us anything.

He has been holding up this Mickey Mouse operation for years now.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he not want to go to a team with a good defense already in place and a better roster to have a better chance to win more Super Bowls. He has won a Super Bowl and been an MVP. He doesn't owe us anything.

He has been holding up this Mickey Mouse operation for years now.

Does it really matter even if he did want to leave? He's under contract for 2 more years after this one and if he refused to re-sign then the Packers would slap the franchise tag on him for at least 2 more. He isn't going anywhere.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

WHAT!?! You mean Bart Starr has miraculously been healed and made younger again?!? :eek::eek: