Sign our own FAs

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been the company line in GB for the last couple of years...sign your own FAs. Does anyone else feel like this has been a bad thing for GB? I think the team/players have become complacent or lack luster in their approach, and I think this may be one of the reasons why? Does anyone else think maybe some of our guys have become just a little too comfortable. I could see GB signing RFA Nall and Kampman and only consider Davenport, Rivera and Franks. I'd let the rest of them go; GB needs some fresh blood/attitudes :?:

OP
OP
S

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whale is due a 5-7M bouns. If they pay the bouns and increase his contract as it's written, there's no chance to do anything else in FA. I think it would be very similar to Clifton's deal last year? Could you imagine this Def getting any worse?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - Wahl is gonna have a hard time of it since they gave Chad all that dough.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him headed to a team in the rebuilding phase.
That's at least two Players on Offense that could be gone next year.
(Wahl & Franks) The third Player to walk away would be Rivera.... ProBowl, or not...
He's about done. (turn him over)

That's the struggle with the rotten draft tactics used by Sherman over the last two years. Barnett was the last "good" draft choice he made - extremely lucky. On top of that, there's nothing to say that Barnett will want to hang around when he seems to be the only one left on D that can do anything worthwhile... Then, from that standpoint, what does Favre do with half an O-Line? He's not as spry as he used to be... Montana played until he was (what) 38... Other Qb's have stayed around into their 40's - will Brett be one of those? Doubtful!

Offense sells Season Tickets
Defense wins SuperBowls

Choose which one you'd rather have!

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that they can work out a cap friendly deal with him. The problem is the OC does not use him properly,but Sherman has been a little better.With him,and Steele improving it will help alot.

OP
OP
S

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agents

Of course it's all situational but I found this article interesting. Does signing too many of your own FAs breed complacence?

In a candid conversation with PFW last week, Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson recognized that the team’s offseason priority of retaining their own defensive veterans (DE Eric Hicks, FS Jerome Woods, CB William Bartee, etc.) instead of adding outside talent did not yield the results he had hoped for. Far from it, as the Chiefs actually dropped a spot, from 29th to 30th in yards allowed heading into Week 17, and gave up more points in 2004. Peterson stated the Chiefs’ continuing issues defensively were not the fault of Gunther Cunningham, who returned to town as defensive coordinator, and implied that they need to surround Cunningham with players, and even coaches, who are more familiar with his system and can be more effective within it. “Objectively, it hasn’t happened,” Peterson told PFW. “… We haven’t improved the level of defense to where we wanted. And that’s disappointing.” Peterson said he plans to sit down with head coach **** Vermeil and vice president of player personnel Lynn Stiles to scrutinize the situation. “We know where the problem is and what needs to be fixed,” he said. “We just are going to evaluate it and go from there. I will very readily admit that when it’s all said and done, it was the wrong decision to retain perhaps all of these guys. Now, not all of them played badly, but (we need to find out) are they ascending, plateauing or descending, and that’s what we’re going to do."

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
leopardmech said:
I can see Franks leaving as well I think the coaching staff sees a lot of promise in Ben Steele.

Later
Leopardmech

we still have david martin buried on the roster right? that guy's got skills.

OP
OP
S

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martin is a RFA this year; Packers have done everything to try and get this kid to step up and become a receiving threat. It just hasn't worked out. If past performance is any indication of future success, Martin has no future w/ GB.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We talked during the game amongst all of us IPB types... and the current thinking is Wahle will be back, along with anyone else on the O-Line... as long as Brett comes back... if he doesn't then things may change from that status...

I'm hoping Brett comes back and restructures his contract one more time....
Maybe they can talk Wahle into signing for less money along the way.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere the Wahle's wife hates Wisconsin and wants out so my guess would be that with the amount of free agents we have to try and resign that he goes to the highest bidder.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere the Wahle's wife hates Wisconsin and wants out
Woman, who's making the millions here, shut your mouth and go hit the malls or something, let the man play football!

:wtf:

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to have the o-line return intact, but with the pounding their bodies take, I will never blame an offensive lineman from trying to make as much money as they can get from the highest bidder in the shortest time possible.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just remenbered we get the Saints pick in the 2nd round, so we will get 3 picks in the first 56 picks.The Saints pick 16th ,I think. :roll: could be worse... think we will get another punter? :wall:

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say it is a pretty safe bet they use the 1st three picks on defense although they may move that extra second round pick to move up in the first round.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts