Should we draft 2 safeties

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It depends on TT. If he continues his borderline ridiculous scab and draft philosophy, then you draft at least 3 dbacks. If you wise up and look for a FA that still has tread on the tires with a decent recent past and 2 draftees, I think it would be ideal.
"Scab&Grab" I like it. Yes we need 2, MD Jennings needs somebody to bump him off the roster.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I drafted 2 with the mock draft thing:

3rd - 85

S DEONE BUCANNON - physical safety

WASHINGTON STATE

6th S ANTHONY HARRIS - ballhawk?

VIRGINIA

Harris ranked #1 in the nation this year with 8 interceptions.

D

Deleted member 6794

3rd - 85

WASHINGTON STATE

There are a lot of teams out there needing help at safety, so I don´t think Bucannon will drop to the third round.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of teams out there needing help at safety, so I don´t think Bucannon will drop to the third round.

lol, I don't think he will either it is just the way the mock draft thing worked out for me, I did it a 2nd time and got mosley on my 1st round again but picked bucannon in the 2nd round.

D

Deleted member 6794

lol, I don't think he will either it is just the way the mock draft thing worked out for me, I did it a 2nd time and got mosley on my 1st round again but picked bucannon in the 2nd round.

Don´t think Mosley will be on the board once the Packers will be on the clock #21. Right now, I would love to get Bucannon in the 2nd and Borland in the 3rd.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don´t think Mosley will be on the board once the Packers will be on the clock #21. Right now, I would love to get Bucannon in the 2nd and Borland in the 3rd.

I agree about mosely as well, I was surprised that site had him available both times, in fact I am completely on board with those 2nd and 3rd round picks but I don't think Borland will be available when we pick in the 3rd round either.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree about mosely as well, I was surprised that site had him available both times, in fact I am completely on board with those 2nd and 3rd round picks but I don't think Borland will be available when we pick in the 3rd round either.

That´s absolutely possible, maybe TT can somehow work out a trade to get both of them, maybe even trade out of the first round as I´m not totally sure what to do with this pick at #21.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s absolutely possible, maybe TT can somehow work out a trade to get both of them, maybe even trade out of the first round as I´m not totally sure what to do with this pick at #21.

If we stay at #21 then I hope we use it to get Calvin Pryor. He should be able to start at S from day 1.

Several players have emerged from the Senior Bowl that deserve serious consideration:

Kyle van Noy OLB
Chris Borland ILB
Dee Ford DE but at 245 he's projected as an OLB in the pros
Weston Richburg C

What i'd love to see is for the Packers to trade out of the 1st round for a 2nd and 3rd rounder and get 3 of these guys plus a SS like Deone Bucannon in round 2. Bucannon and Borland in round 2, Noy/Ford and Richburg in round 3 would be a home run for the Packers IMO. I'm not at all convinced that EDS is the answer at C, and it wouldn't be wise to throw all our cards on him or JC Tretter. Tretter might be our future C, but can't count on that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

3rd - 85

WASHINGTON STATE

6th S ANTHONY HARRIS - ballhawk?

VIRGINIA

Harris ranked #1 in the nation this year with 8 interceptions.

after the combine Bucannon will not be around in the third and could jump t o the 1st. We do need more ballhawks.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we stay at #21 then I hope we use it to get Calvin Pryor. He should be able to start at S from day 1.

Several players have emerged from the Senior Bowl that deserve serious consideration:

Kyle van Noy OLB
Chris Borland ILB
Dee Ford DE but at 245 he's projected as an OLB in the pros
Weston Richburg C

What i'd love to see is for the Packers to trade out of the 1st round for a 2nd and 3rd rounder and get 3 of these guys plus a SS like Deone Bucannon in round 2. Bucannon and Borland in round 2, Noy/Ford and Richburg in round 3 would be a home run for the Packers IMO. I'm not at all convinced that EDS is the answer at C, and it wouldn't be wise to throw all our cards on him or JC Tretter. Tretter might be our future C, but can't count on that.

Please no more DE converted to OLB. That hasn't seemed to work here.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please no more DE converted to OLB. That hasn't seemed to work here.

Yeah, there is that. Plus if we keep Mike Neal that gives us Perry and Neal competing for the OLB spot, although there have been rumors about the Packer coaching staff toying with the idea of moving Perry to ILB.

What I'd like to see really would be:

Round 2: Deonne Bacannon, Chris Borland

Round 3: Duquan Jones/Kelsey Quarles, Weston Richburg

Round 4: CJ Fiedorwicz, TE

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting 2 safeties seems like overkill with Morgan Burnett having such a large contract. Although if one if the safeties was Lamarcus Joyner who could play the Tyrann Mathieu role (safety in base defense, nickel corner in nickel and dime) I could see that

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Well, if Clinton-Dix or Pryor are available in the 1st, or Bucannon is available in the 2nd you pull the trigger.

Not really. With Raji possibly not coming back and Pickett getting old, Hageman should be our first round pick if he's available.

Plus I've said it in another thread I believe that Dion Bailey is a stud Safety out of USC and we can pick him up as late as the 3rd round. He's also played some LB so he'll have flexibility as a player.

On a side note, I really want the tight end out of Washington. I can't remember his name, but that's a pick I think we really need to get.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I love the idea. Bring in a guy who could contribute Day 1 and draft a guy who doesn't have to be forced into playing before he's ready.

Exactly, which is pretty much what seemingly every one of our rookie 1st-3rd rounders has had to do for the last few years, and TBH, I don't think it's ever been successful.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. With Raji possibly not coming back and Pickett getting old, Hageman should be our first round pick if he's available.

Plus I've said it in another thread I believe that Dion Bailey is a stud Safety out of USC and we can pick him up as late as the 3rd round.

I'm not sure about Dion Bailey. Some think he needs to stay in school another year to mature. Also, NT or DT isn't such a big need if Jolly returns. Jolly, Daniels and Pickett for another year should cover the loss of Raji. Getting Hageman would be great, don't get me wrong, although he may go earlier than when the Packers pick, but our needs at S and ILB are more pressing.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, which is pretty much what seemingly every one of our rookie 1st-3rd rounders has had to do for the last few years, and TBH, I don't think it's ever been successful.

I agree. It's never a good thing when a team "needs two or three rookies to immediately contribute". Sometimes guys need time.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
One problem with drafting Bailey is the one snap he played deep coverage last year he got beat. Badly. He displays all the instincts and ballhawking underneath, but I have to label him a SS. Pryor at least had a few quality deep snaps. Buchannon is a tweener like Burnett. The big question that will determine if any of them are even on your board is: "Do you trust Morgan Burnett as the deep Safety in single high coverage?" If you don't, then you need to draft somebody you think can, and none of those guys fit that bill for me.

D

Deleted member 6794

One problem with drafting Bailey is the one snap he played deep coverage last year he got beat. Badly. He displays all the instincts and ballhawking underneath, but I have to label him a SS. Pryor at least had a few quality deep snaps. Buchannon is a tweener like Burnett. The big question that will determine if any of them are even on your board is: "Do you trust Morgan Burnett as the deep Safety in single high coverage?" If you don't, then you need to draft somebody you think can, and none of those guys fit that bill for me.

I think the point you made about Burnett is an important one. First of all the Packers have to decide where to play him. I really don't have an answer for that as I don't trust him either at SS or at FS. You mentioned in another thread that Hyde could become a decent SS, with which I agree, so I think the Packers should go after a FS in the draft. Clinton-Dix will mostly likely be gone at #21 and I think drafting Pryor in the first round would be a reach, but what you think about Reynolds in the 2nd???

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the point you made about Burnett is an important one. First of all the Packers have to decide where to play him. I really don't have an answer for that as I don't trust him either at SS or at FS. You mentioned in another thread that Hyde could become a decent SS, with which I agree, so I think the Packers should go after a FS in the draft. Clinton-Dix will mostly likely be gone at #21 and I think drafting Pryor in the first round would be a reach, but what you think about Reynolds in the 2nd???

Reynolds is a nice player but his numbers don't pop out like Bucannons imo. Bucannon has more tackles, int's, forced fumbles and is bigger. Altho Reynolds is solid versus the run we need an eraser back there and Bucannon will blow you up. I wouldn't be mad if we got Raynolds but Bucannon is everything we didn't get from Aaron Rouse. A guy with all the physical tools but who is actually football player.

D

Deleted member 6794

Reynolds is a nice player but his numbers don't pop out like Bucannons imo. Bucannon has more tackles, int's, forced fumbles and is bigger. Altho Reynolds is solid versus the run we need an eraser back there and Bucannon will blow you up. I wouldn't be mad if we got Raynolds but Bucannon is everything we didn't get from Aaron Rouse. A guy with all the physical tools but who is actually football player.

I agree that Bucannon is a good player, but it depends on what the Packers are looking for if he fits their plans. If they're looking to draft a FS Bucannon won't be an option.

BTW Reynolds numbers weren't that bad either. In 2012 he had six INTs, three of which he returned for TDs. This season he only had one, but teams mostly avoided throwing his way.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Bucannon is a good player, but it depends on what the Packers are looking for if he fits their plans. If they're looking to draft a FS Bucannon won't be an option.

BTW Reynolds numbers weren't that bad either. In 2012 he had six INTs, three of which he returned for TDs. This season he only had one, but teams mostly avoided throwing his way.

Yea those 2012 numbers are ****. The touchdowns are a bonus but the takeaways are what i like to see. We need a safety like Charles Woodson, Darren Sharper or Ed Reed. Dudes who catch the ball and can turn them into points.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Going to move this to the draft board. For further reference, if a thread has draft in the title, unless you are talking air leaks around windows and doors, that is where it belongs.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after the combine Bucannon will not be around in the third and could jump t o the 1st. We do need more ballhawks.

He really impressed in Senior Bowl practices, and he played for a bottom dweller. A good senior bowl game, combine, pro day and all of the talk will be about this hot overlooked riser. Draft class weak in safeties and I think this kid goes in the late first when all is said and done. Of course he did run a 4.57 40 at the senior bowl, a solid time for the position but maybe not impressive enough to get him above the second.

My thoughts

Trade our 1st pick for a second and third.

2A. Deone Buchannon- strong with solid range and good ball skills, I like him.
2B. Chris Borland- he's blown people away at the senior bowl, kind of a sawed off Buck linebacker.
3a. Beau Allen- some will call this a reach but I think he's really undervalued, stout massive surprisingly fast and explosive and with the grit to battle all game long.
3b. BVA

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Reynolds seems like what people expect Hyde look like at Safety to me. I can't say much on him til I see his 40. I'll determine then if I feel his game will translate well to the pro level. As it stands he's a bit of a tweener.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Bucannon making the leap into the 1st round. There's just way too many other impact players at other positions for 3 safeties to get drafted in the 1st, and if he did, that would make it very, very likely that someone else like Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor would be there when we picked.
I'd love to see us be able to trade back for a high 2nd and 3rd round pick. I just don't see a team in the top 10 pick-wise giving up their #33-43 + #65-75 picks to get the #21 pick. I have a feeling the trade-back would have less value than that.

Members online

Latest posts