Should we draft 2 safeties

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reynolds seems like what people expect Hyde look like at Safety to me. I can't say much on him til I see his 40. I'll determine then if I feel his game will translate well to the pro level. As it stands he's a bit of a tweener.

I think Bucannon will have a better career than Reynolds. Both good players tho and could start from day 1 here.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think Bucannon will have a better career than Reynolds. Both good players tho and could start from day 1 here.
I agree on Buchannon, but I'm not sold on Reynolds. I'm just not sure Buchannon is what we need, even though I REALLY like him in our system.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on Buchannon, but I'm not sold on Reynolds. I'm just not sure Buchannon is what we need, even though I REALLY like him in our system.

Big, strong, athletic, always around the ball, and likes to hit. He's exactly what we need in our system haha. He would allow us to move Burnett over to free safety where he might be better. Burnett needs to spend the offseason working on his coverage skills anyways.

D

Deleted member 6794

Big, strong, athletic, always around the ball, and likes to hit. He's exactly what we need in our system haha. He would allow us to move Burnett over to free safety where he might be better. Burnett needs to spend the offseason working on his coverage skills anyways.

I'm really not sure we want Burnett as our primary FS.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't want him as the SS either but a guy who makes so much money can't be on the bench. He misses so many tackles i don't think he's a great SS.

Buchannon is a more physical Burnett. Burnett has the coverage skills, he's just limited in how much he can cover. I have a lot more confidence in Burnett hitting the weights than I do that he all of a sudden magically increases his range.

The problem with Buchannon, Richardson, or Polamalu types is that they're only effective if you're in single high and you have someone (read: Earl Thomas/Ryan Clark) capable of covering the field on the back end. I'd be curios to see the numbers on how often we actually played single high this year with our miserable personnel. Having Buchannon isn't much use when the RB is picking up 5 yards before Buchannon even gets a shot to hit him. There's a reason Jennings consistently started.

I no longer view Burnett as a viable FS, it's SS or bust. Let him cover TE and shade RB.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little bit of a draft nerd and was reading an article today about safeties in the draft. The article is predicting an early run on safeties due to immense need by just about every team. The mock draft had something like 7 or 8 safeties going in the first two rounds. The top two safeties in the draft were predicted to be gone gone by the time the Packers draft.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want him as the SS either but a guy who makes so much money can't be on the bench. He misses so many tackles i don't think he's a great SS.

You can't just look at the total number of missed tackles and say a guy is a terrible tackler. You have to look at how many times they attempted to tackle someone. It's also easy to make a snap judgement based on the most recent season (which was admittedly not great). If you look at every safety in the NFL who played at least 50% of their team's defensive snaps, in 2011 Burnett was the 13th best tackler among all safeties (missed a tackle for every 12 he tried), in 2012 he was again 13th (missing one for every 11) while in 2013 he fell to 21st. I would guess that 2013 was the outlier.

Here is some additional information regarding his ability to play the run. PFF tracks run stop percent for safeties when the safety is lined up within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage (this way you're not penalizing safeties that are 20 yards deep). Burnett in 2013 had the third highest percent of run stops when he lined up near the LoS (among safeties playing 50% of snaps). In 2012 he was fifth and in 2011 he was 29th. I'd say he makes a pretty good strong safety. Where he really struggles is in coverage.

As for the topic, no, I don't want to draft two safeties. I'm hoping we sign a vet and draft a safety.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he gets a hair cut if he does come to Green Bay. Im tired of seeing dreads to be completely honest. What ever happened to a nice clean taper or bald fade?

Members online

Latest posts