Should we draft 2 safeties

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you could make the argument for taking 2 in the draft or getting one in FA and drafting another high. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

As I´ve stated several times, I´m in favor of signing a free agent and drafting another safety. I´m not talking about going after Jarius Byrd, but a guy that could be signed to a reasonable deal (Chris D. Clemons). Clemons has played free safety his entire career, so I would like TT to go after a strong safety in the draft, maybe Deone Bucannon could turn into a nice pick in the 2nd round.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would. IMO the both suck. Jennings takes all the heat but Burnett was horrible this year and the misscomunications are on him. There are some things you can practice and improve at but being smart is not one of them and he is not. I want to say I read that he had a very low wonderlic score...14 maybe. Now if you replace him and put him over in Jennings spot he might be better but peaking in the backfield, getting burned on the pump fake, taking bad angles and poor tackling will show up at both spots.

They need to get as many new bodies in as possible. Having 2 rookies at the same position creates some good motivation and competition.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would. IMO the both suck. Jennings takes all the heat but Burnett was horrible this year and the misscomunications are on him. There are some things you can practice and improve at but being smart is not one of them and he is not. I want to say I read that he had a very low wonderlic score...14 maybe. Now if you replace him and put him over in Jennings spot he might be better but peaking in the backfield, getting burned on the pump fake, taking bad angles and poor tackling will show up at both spots.

They need to get as many new bodies in as possible. Having 2 rookies at the same position creates some good motivation and competition.

While I agree both Burnett and Jennings really had a bad season I don´t think I want to see two rookies playing there next year either.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on TT. If he continues his borderline ridiculous scab and draft philosophy, then you draft at least 3 dbacks. If you wise up and look for a FA that still has tread on the tires with a decent recent past and 2 draftees, I think it would be ideal.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree both Burnett and Jennings really had a bad season I don´t think I want to see two rookies playing there next year either.
I'm not saying I want to rookies playing but bringing in multiple guys will begin the process of phasing burnett out unless he suddenly sees the light bulb and figures out how to play safety at the level his contract indicates.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not saying I want to rookies playing but bringing in multiple guys will begin the process of phasing burnett out unless he suddenly sees the light bulb and figures out how to play safety at the level his contract indicates.

I was really disappointed by the way Burnett played last season and I don´t expect him to improve that much as long as he´s the main guy at safety. But I hope there´s a chance if we bring one in via free agency who can take over as the leader of the secondary Burnett´s play will improve as well. I don´t see any rookie being capable of that though in this year´s draft.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets say TT was prepared to commit 8 mil per to Raji. If he lets him walk that is plenty of money to sign TJ Ward away from the Browns. He doesn't want to leave but they are a circus of a front office and still have no coaches on staff. Then you can move Burnett over and draft another guy or 2. If Burnett doesn't get a ton better in a hurry then you can dump him and hopefully the draft pick is ready for 2015 as a starter alongside Ward.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lets say TT was prepared to commit 8 mil per to Raji. If he lets him walk that is plenty of money to sign TJ Ward away from the Browns. He doesn't want to leave but they are a circus of a front office and still have no coaches on staff. Then you can move Burnett over and draft another guy or 2. If Burnett doesn't get a ton better in a hurry then you can dump him and hopefully the draft pick is ready for 2015 as a starter alongside Ward.

IMO that´s too much money for a free agent signing. The Packers have approximately $28 million in cap space, but I think re-signing Sam Shields should be the top priority. There´s no way TT will hold on to Tramon if he doesn´t restructure his contract, so we still would have some cap space available.

But don´t forget about all the other guys we still have to re-sign, right now we don´t have a big body on the DL under contract.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If his draft board dictates it, yes. But I will be happy if Thompson signs a UFA safety and drafts one safety. Jennings needs to be replaced and I’d like to see a vet slated to take his place. Then let Richardson, Hyde, and Banjo compete with Burnett and the UFA.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO that´s too much money for a free agent signing. The Packers have approximately $28 million in cap space, but I think re-signing Sam Shields should be the top priority. There´s no way TT will hold on to Tramon if he doesn´t restructure his contract, so we still would have some cap space available.

But don´t forget about all the other guys we still have to re-sign, right now we don´t have a big body on the DL under contract.
http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014

Not sure where you get the $28M - do you have a link. I see most sites are saying just below $10M but I don't think they are counting the $9M in roll over from this season. I think the Pack will have just under $20M.

I think, now, more than any time in the last 9 years of the TT reign, signing a FA makes good sense. I don't think we will get an impact Safety from the draft, I don't think Dix will be there at 21. I think Pryor is going to catch fire and go much higher in the draft than currently expected. This is a very deep top-end draft and we can get a very good player at 21. So, I don't want to trade up but trading back may make a lot of sense.

As far as our current roster, not sure what happened with Burnett. He came back from injury and played 2 good games and then regressed significantly. I still like Richardson and am hoping he takes a step for next season. But that is all we have at this point. To below average guys that have some promise - and that is not enough. If we get Prior in the first or Bucannon in the 2nd (I would prefer the later) I would be happy.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm honetly like forget addidng a safety via free agency. I would like to see Deone Bucannon added from the draft in the 2nd. I've traded up to take Anthony Barr in the 1st (This yrs 1st and next yrs 2 and 4th) which is why i'm takin Bucannon in the 2nd btw :)

D

Deleted member 6794

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting two safeties seems like a panic move, but acquiring one via draft and one via other means seems reasonable. Burnett had a bad year, but used to show ball-hawking and hitting skills early on in his career - albeit with Collins at his side. I think that he can still mature into a solid safety and we've got other options with Banjo as mentioned.

No matter what, communication is going to be the key any veteran or rookie is going to struggle.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've traded up to take Anthony Barr in the 1st (This yrs 1st and next yrs 2 and 4th) which is why i'm takin Bucannon in the 2nd btw :)
Thompson has said he won't trade significant picks from a future draft so that's not going to happen. Obviously he'll trade down or up, but IMO he would view trading future picks as a form of mortgaging the future.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014

Not sure where you get the $28M - do you have a link. I see most sites are saying just below $10M but I don't think they are counting the $9M in roll over from this season. I think the Pack will have just under $20M.

I think, now, more than any time in the last 9 years of the TT reign, signing a FA makes good sense. I don't think we will get an impact Safety from the draft, I don't think Dix will be there at 21. I think Pryor is going to catch fire and go much higher in the draft than currently expected. This is a very deep top-end draft and we can get a very good player at 21. So, I don't want to trade up but trading back may make a lot of sense.

As far as our current roster, not sure what happened with Burnett. He came back from injury and played 2 good games and then regressed significantly. I still like Richardson and am hoping he takes a step for next season. But that is all we have at this point. To below average guys that have some promise - and that is not enough. If we get Prior in the first or Bucannon in the 2nd (I would prefer the later) I would be happy.

I think that if one of the top safeties goes in the top 20, Dix or Pryor, the other will be available at 21. If not,the Packers could go for a SS in round 2. Deonne Bucannon should be available. A dark horse in this is Ahmad Dixon. He's got some mad talent but had some off-the-field issues. He could play either SS or FS. If Clinton-Dix and Pryor are both gone by the 21st pick, I'd take the BPA of need in round 1 and pick up Dixon in round 2.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has said he won't trade significant picks from a future draft so that's not going to happen. Obviously he'll trade down or up, but IMO he would view trading future picks as a form of mortgaging the future.

Anthony Barr is the FUTURE man. You guy's kill me with this conservative freakin mindset my goodness..no wonder why you support TT so much. Sometimes to get what you want you have to give up something, and im not opossed to giving up a FUTURE draft pick for a guy who may be able to come in NOW and help this team NOW. Aaron Rodgers could suffer a career ending injury tomorrow walking down the dang stairs and then what? thers no guarantee a pick from 2015 is going to be all pro so if a team ask for a pick in 2015 and it's reasonable why not do it to surround your franchise player with talent that will help the team win in 2014?! I just can't stand all this conservative garbage in this organization! Yes there is a difference between being smart and conservative and this is a conservative bunch from the GM all the way down to the freakin coaching staff and you wanna talk about mediocrity. I don't have to cheer for the Niners for that because it exist with the Packers nowadays.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anthony Barr is the FUTURE man. You guy's kill me with this conservative freakin mindset my goodness..no wonder why you support TT so much. Sometimes to get what you want you have to give up something, and im not opossed to giving up a FUTURE draft pick for a guy who may be able to come in NOW and help this team NOW. Aaron Rodgers could suffer a career ending injury tomorrow walking down the dang stairs and then what? thers no guarantee a pick from 2015 is going to be all pro so if a team ask for a pick in 2015 and it's reasonable why not do it to surround your franchise player with talent that will help the team win in 2014?! I just can't stand all this conservative garbage in this organization! Yes there is a difference between being smart and conservative and this is a conservative bunch from the GM all the way down to the freakin coaching staff.

To get Barr we'd have to trade up to around the #5 or #6 pick. That would mean our #21 and #63 picks AT LEAST, and i don't think that would be enough for Oakland or Atlanta to agree to it. Plus, if this draft is supposed to be so deep, it would make sense to hold onto your 2nd and 3rd round picks because there should be some real talent still there.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get Barr we'd have to trade up to around the #5 or #6 pick. That would mean our #21 and #63 picks AT LEAST, and i don't think that would be enough for Oakland or Atlanta to agree to it. Plus, if this draft is supposed to be so deep, it would make sense to hold onto your 2nd and 3rd round picks because there should be some real talent still there.

which may (and i emphasize may) be true but i've gotten so desperate watching this defense man. Excuse me if i'm thinking outside the box but i'm tired of the defense holding the team back. At least if you're not going to invest in FA draft IMPACT players or trade up for them if you have to.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anthony Barr is the FUTURE man. You guy's kill me with this conservative freakin mindset my goodness..no wonder why you support TT so much. Sometimes to get what you want you have to give up something, and im not opossed to giving up a FUTURE draft pick for a guy who may be able to come in NOW and help this team NOW. Aaron Rodgers could suffer a career ending injury tomorrow walking down the dang stairs and then what? thers no guarantee a pick from 2015 is going to be all pro so if a team ask for a pick in 2015 and it's reasonable why not do it to surround your franchise player with talent that will help the team win in 2014?! I just can't stand all this conservative garbage in this organization! Yes there is a difference between being smart and conservative and this is a conservative bunch from the GM all the way down to the freakin coaching staff and you wanna talk about mediocrity. I don't have to cheer for the Niners for that because it exist with the Packers nowadays.
so we invest 3 picks in one player and Barr pulls a Harrell in training camp and never does much. Its all a risk. We found Clay late in the first and other players out of the top ten. Drafting them high never guarantees success - hell, Hawk probably carried a higher grade than Barr will.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Anthony Barr is the FUTURE man. You guy's kill me with this conservative freakin mindset my goodness...
You guys who don’t comprehend what they read kill me. I didn’t post I wouldn’t trade a future pick and I didn’t post I consider it mortgaging the future. I posted Ted Thompson has said he wouldn’t trade future picks. (I’m not Thompson) and I opined he (not me) probably considers it mortgaging the future.

You’re right there are no guarantees but that supports Thompson’s philosophy. If Rodgers suffered a career-ending injury after following your advice he would have less ammunition to acquire Rodgers’ replacement.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys who don’t comprehend what they read kill me. I didn’t post I wouldn’t trade a future pick and I didn’t post I consider it mortgaging the future. I posted Ted Thompson has said he wouldn’t trade future picks. (I’m not Thompson) and I opined he (not me) probably considers it mortgaging the future.

You’re right there are no guarantees but that supports Thompson’s philosophy. If Rodgers suffered a career-ending injury after following your advice he would have less ammunition to acquire Rodgers’ replacement.

Two words...Matt Flynn haha. I hear you tho, and i fully comprehend trust me.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barr would probably be the ultimate pick for us in the first round but very unlikely that its going to happen. With that being said I would love to grab Pryor in the first and get Kyle Van Noy in the later rounds.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

We paid Burnett a lot of money. He's going to play. Replacing him through the draft is about as likely as trading up for a top 5 pick. It's hardly worth considering.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts