Should we be happy with Grant as our #1 HB?

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean werea passing offense. BUt it would be nice to have someone better than average back there to at least keep some defenders in the box. Grant's a good player but he's not on par with the NFL elite.

PackerBacker4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd say he's better than average. most of the time he doesn't get enough carries to get in a groove. If you look at the stats he's a top 10 RB if not better

Wolvi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 years in a row over 1200 yards...better then alot i'd say? Ranked 8th last year overall for rush yards and 9th in 2008...With a solid O-line in front he is great IMHO.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Grant is a pretty solid runner. Sure, he's not Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson, but he consistently puts 1200 yards on the field for us year in and year out. I'm happy with him.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am more than happy with Ryan Grant tbh. He is a solid, consistant running back, who on his day can run on (and over!) anybody. We could be much, much worse off in our #1 RB position imo. I think Grant was a good pick-up.

Imo, we need a better #2 running back then we have, OR we should give Jackson a few chances. We need a good speed back who can compliment Grant well. Have Grant run over D's all day long and pound them, then towards the end of the game, have our speedy #2 back run through you! That's my take anyway.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im very happy with grant. but the back up situation not so much. hopefully brandon jackson can come into his own this year as a 3rd down back. im also pushing for kregg lumpkin, i have liked him since his rookie year and he did look pretty solid a few years ago before he got injured against the lions.

OP
OP
G0PackG0

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and I think our improved O-Line will only help Grant going forward. Like I said he is very good but not elite. But usualy with "elite" comes drama. I would rather have Rodgers doing what he wants and no prima donna whining that he's not geting the ball enough.

pluto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
grant is a an above average back. yes there are better backs out there, but they wouldn't fit into gb offensive scheme or they fumble a lot(for those of you who are thinking of peterson in mn). team chemistry is very important.

David Pynnonen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im happy with grant. he gets around 4 yard average and he barely fumbles. he isnt a big play maker but if he starts to run hard like he did 2 years ago he will bust some longer plays.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Grant my dream RB? NO FREAKING WAY.

Is Grant a very good RB, that is able to produce in the kind of offense we run, to maintain a certain balance? YES.

Does Grant tends to play better by the end of the season, when the weather turns colder, and can we count on him when the passing game is struggling, in the playoffs? ABSOLUTELY.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very happy to have Grant as our guy.
Sure, there are probably 15 better HBs in the NFL, maybe 25.
But he flatout out-produces all of them except for a small handful.
And he doesn't fumble.

You guys remember how mad you get when Favre used to fumble? Remember the loss to the Buffalo Bills 4 years ago in which Favre threw 2 bad Ints and had 2 fumbles inside the red zone?

Remember Ahman Green being great, but losing games with his untimely fumbles? Fumbles kill. Ask Viking fans about that. They dominated the Saints, but had 4 fumbles to prevent them from blowing the Saints out. Thanks AP.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very happy to have Grant as our guy.
Sure, there are probably 15 better HBs in the NFL, maybe 25.
But he flatout out-produces all of them except for a small handful.
And he doesn't fumble.

You guys remember how mad you get when Favre used to fumble? Remember the loss to the Buffalo Bills 4 years ago in which Favre threw 2 bad Ints and had 2 fumbles inside the red zone?

Remember Ahman Green being great, but losing games with his untimely fumbles? Fumbles kill. Ask Viking fans about that. They dominated the Saints, but had 4 fumbles to prevent them from blowing the Saints out. Thanks AP.
Truth be told, for the little that Rodgers throws ints, he kinda fumbles a lot.

Of course, not only his fault, when he's getting hit in the blindside when he's preparing to throw. But still... I remember specially the MN game, where we drove downfield, only to have a breakdown in pass pro and he fumbled...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean werea passing offense. BUt it would be nice to have someone better than average back there to at least keep some defenders in the box. Grant's a good player but he's not on par with the NFL elite.

If the O line would start beating the he** out of people, he'd lead the league in rushing. He doesn't fumble and seems to get stronger as the season goes on. He's o.k., but I wish TT had traded The Traitor to the YIkes for Peterson. Wouldn't that have been interesting?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Grant is a good back. If the Vikings didn't have Peterson I would want a back like Grant. He is a dependable back who makes few mistakes. And just for you Packer fans here's a little stat for you.

Grant, in games were he has at leas 19 carries.

21 games, 23 attempts per game, 100.7 yards per game, 4.41 yard per carry.

In games with 18 or less carries.

23 games, 13 attempts per game, 56.4 yards per game, 4.6 yards per carry.

Grant is the type of player that will get you 100 yard games if you feed him the ball 20 times a game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He works for us. Is he fun to watch? no not at all. Do I find myself yelling at the TV over his running style? All the time. But has he ever blown a game the way ahman green did? Nope. The only time he came close he went and set a packers playoff rushing record to remedy that.

Plus he has to be one of the biggest bargin RBs in the league.

OP
OP
G0PackG0

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He works for us. Is he fun to watch? no not at all. Do I find myself yelling at the TV over his running style? All the time. But has he ever blown a game the way ahman green did? Nope. The only time he came close he went and set a packers playoff rushing record to remedy that.

Plus he has to be one of the biggest bargin RBs in the league.

A real bargain. Noone had ever heard of him when he got the #1 spot. Was he even drafted?

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
He's decent, but he's not a power back, or a Speed back, in my opinoin he's more of a speed back though 1 cut n run. If we had a better Power inside runner it would take the load off grant you can tell he doesnt run hard up the middle, but right now theres no solid #2, we really should go for the Carolina panthers model, it would match well with our Pass game.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is a hard working player that gets the job done and then some. Like it's been said, it would be ideal to have a solid number 2 back like we had with Bennett and Levens in the nineties.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant imo is the perfect hybrid back that we need for our type of O. He isnt strictly a powerback or a speed back, he has great acceleration out of his first cut but at the same time has no problem running up the gut and putting his head down to truck someone. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAueiINLIJk]YouTube - ‪Ryan Grant Highlights 2009‬‎[/ame]

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always liked him. He has been productive behind a line that was not always healthy, and he did his fair share of protecting Aaron last year as well. Just a great team player.

Members online

Latest posts