1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Shields a goner?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HardRightEdge, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    Rather have Sheilds than Bush, as long as Shields realizes you DON"T RUN THE BALL OUT OF THE ENDZONE on an interception.

2. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,812
    I agree with HardRightEdge: Shields was vital to the championship run in 2010, he was bad last year - wasn't assignment sure and was timid tackling. He started slow in TC but has really come on. It's amazing to me that Tramon is being picked on more than Shields. I disagree only regarding his penalties - IMO and being as objective as I can - two of those long penalties not only weren't defensive pass interference they were offensive PI. As far as I know, Shields is the fastest defender. IMO he's doing a great job in coverage and he's much better being physical and tackling.

I'd love to keep him and have House, Hayward and Shields as the future at CB. Of course Shields will be tendered so the Packers will have the chance to match an offer; but I'm not sure how the new CBA works regarding tenders to RFAs - can the Packers tender him as a first rounder and if they do what salary do they have to guarantee? Under the old CBA the compensation for RFAs was the round in which they were signed - if that's still the case the Packers would be "punished" for uncovering such a gem in UDFAs. Unless they franchise tag him - and of course they won't - their only opportunity to keep him may be to match an offer.

The zero sum game of the salary cap applies to each and every player in the NFL. So with Rodgers, Matthews, Raji - perhaps even Jennings - Thompson and Ball will have their work cut out for them. But I would love to see the Packers retain Shields if they can do so at a reasonable cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,415
    Keep Shields if you can afford it, as I agree that he's a solid #2 or #3 corner. I think that we can all agree that he's not Revis or even Woodson in his prime. However, he will likely attract some level of attention on the FA market as stated. How much depends on his play this season and the needs of other teams. Our desire to keep him will depend on other Packers pending free agent signings and what the market is projecting for Shields.

I wouldn't lock him up prior to FA though. If you can get him at discount, great. If not then we've got a handful of young CBs already starting to sprout.

4. 60six

60six DIE HARD

Ratings:
    +65
    I think many forgot hes a RFA next year. We drop a tender on him and hes ours for 1 more year. TT can make the call the following year. Also I think the chances are better that Sam sees a second contract at age 25 than TW sees a 3rd at age 32.

5. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +169
    That's kind of what I was thinking.

6. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,755
    And now Woodson is out - Shields even more important now.

7. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    I maybe undervaluing shields but you are probably overvaluing him as well. has he really been very good? He has just been decent for us nothing more nothing less. I'm not ready to doll out 25 million to a guy who is still learning the position when we need to address other more important better players.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    Hard to tell what the market will be like at this point.

9. milani

milani Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +52
    Shields plays hard but makes a lot of technique mistakes. He is about an average CB with great speed.
    We can see what someone offers him and choose to not match it. Recall how he got burned badly by Brees a few weeks ago right after we fumbled at the 3 yard line. He looked really bad on that play.
    That is not going to net big $. I'd like to see the guy stick around unless we can found another play maker back there.

10. 60six

60six DIE HARD

Ratings:
    +65
    All CBs get burned during the year. I dont think Shields stands out as toast each week. Some weeks I dont recall hearing his name, which is good when playing CB.

McMillin-Burnett-House-Hayward-Shields are the future secondary of this team. There is no Collins or Woodson in that group but I think its solid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +615
    Shields is a keeper. The guy was a force on Super Bowl team as a true rookie and he's still learning the position. Williams, Shields, Hayward and House are your future at defensive back. Collins is already retired and Woodson has a year left at the most. Plus, I really don't see a team coming in with a huge offer for Shields.

12. JacobInFlorida

JacobInFlorida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    I doubt they would give Cobb a new one. There's a reason we play moneyball. We're gonna keep our talent as cheap as long as possible. They're not gonna give Cobb a new contract just to do it. If he gets anything at all it will be a cap friendly deal which I'm not sure we're gonna be able to do without some major restructuring.

13. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993
    Cobb is the only running threat we have, besides Rogers. They'd better give him the money.

14. BrettsFavor

BrettsFavor Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Ugh, what happens to Williams?

15. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +172
    Williams is a little older and only has 2 years left after this, I think 60six is thinking more like 4 or 5 years down the road. I disagree with him on a few points though, 1) I feel like TT at some point will draft a safety early on that will replace either Burnett or Mcmillian. 2) Hayward will be a STUD

16. JacobInFlorida

JacobInFlorida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    Not saying don't pay the man, just saying we control him for a while. No reason to screw up the cap and maybe lose someone else just to make a feel good payment to Cobb.

17. 60six

60six DIE HARD

Ratings:
    +65
    I dont think TW gets a another contract.
    If he does get one, great...........that means hes still playing well and thats a good thing.

18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,415
    Tramon would not get #1 CB money unless he starts playing consistently at an elite level. I think that he plays at an average good level - great plays mix with big give-ups but mostly good play.

19. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Sam will be a RFA.. and will not be able to leverage for big money as noted previously in the thread.

Secondly, as we all know, this is a passing league, having at least 3 to 4 corners is a must when facing teams that spread it out, ala us and the Saints.

Third point.. speed. Shields has absolute raw speed and improving ball skills.

Woodson is more apt to be a former Packer than Shields come next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,112
    Upon further review, you are correct. It would appear anybody signing Shields away would have to give up a first rounder under the new CBA...that's not likely to happen.

21. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,812
    I found the numbers for RFAs: Right of first refusal and a second rounder: $1.835M; and a first rounder: $2.611M. That would keep Shields in Green Bay for one more season before he’s an UFA and $2.6M is "cheap" for a starting quality NFL CB. Maybe he’d agree to a relatively modest three year deal for some security…

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,112
    Tramon is working on a 5 year contract paying $7.5 mil per year. That's not Pro Bowl CB money, but it's a typical salary for #1 corners.