Sherman's last year?

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Like most people in this room, I thought Sherman was a terrible GM. However, I do feel he is an above average coach. I don't love him, I don't hate him. But with him entering the last year of his contract, and that contract still not renewed, I can't help but put some puzzle pieces together. Bates turned down an opportunity to coach in NE. Why? Maybe he doesn't want to share the defense with Belicheck. Maybe he wants a challenge. These are both real possibilities. But I can't help but think that if sherman isn't extended before the year, that might foreshadow his demise. We all know Bates wants a head coaching job at some point. Is that why he chose GB over NE? Am I being too speculative, or has this thought crossed your mind too?

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman has done some good,but he has done some bonehead moves. I think any head coach would look good with what he came into,when he took over.Still,I would give him this year to prove his worth,then decide next off season.JMO :|

OP
OP
M

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
eastcoastpacker said:
I would give him this year to prove his worth,then decide next off season.JMO :|

That would be the ideal situation, but I am a little nervous about entering the season with uncertainty. I don't want an added distraction like the Vikes had with Tice last year. I think we should extend him now. But only for two years with a buyout option after the first year.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry - Dustin - I think Green Bay actually deserves to walk thru that door - give Sherman a year at Lame Duck status - and see how the entire Team behaves all year to that situation... Teams "need" to suffer now & again, in order to get back where they know they should be - and that's winning! You take something away - they'll appreciate more... when they get it back - it'll be sweeter!

The only good thing out of it - would be the fact that Coaches Salaries don't count against the Cap. Otherwise - I'd be telling him to release Rossley if he wants another Contract offer! No two ways about it!

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with IBPrez. Lets walk through that door. Lets see how the players respond, if they perform and have a great season then give him a contract if things go into a decline ; make a change. He can't be accused of riding on something great that he inherited, the team that he inherited was a mess.

Rhino58

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason, I don't think Sherman will get an extension. But we'll have to see how this season goes.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates wasn't offered a coaching job in NE, because the NE season ended so late GB got to pick him up before NE offered him a job. Although he knew about the Pats interest.

stuffin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Sorry - Dustin - I think Green Bay actually deserves to walk thru that door - give Sherman a year at Lame Duck status - and see how the entire Team behaves all year to that situation... Teams "need" to suffer now & again, in order to get back where they know they should be - and that's winning! You take something away - they'll appreciate more... when they get it back - it'll be sweeter!

The only good thing out of it - would be the fact that Coaches Salaries don't count against the Cap. Otherwise - I'd be telling him to release Rossley if he wants another Contract offer! No two ways about it!

I agree. I would like to how Sherman performs as HC without the responsibilities of GM. Then make the decision to retain him. Sorta like a contract year.

Dustin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have we all not seen other teams around the league and how they respond to lame duck coaching? Are we to expect that our money hungry players are any different than the other money hungry players in the NFL? Rhetorical as the questions may be, they are pretty true statements.

I would like to see the players play with a sense of urgency, but IMO, this won't do it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates wasn't exactly "offered" a position with NE - BUT HE "was" on the short short list of those who were to gain an interview - IOW - be contacted by the Pats for probable discussions... and to me - THAT's the very same thing - measuring a timeline or splitting hairs on this line of thinking is a bit much to say the least. It was written in several articles that the Pats had three people on that short short list... and Bates "was" one of those...

To be clear - as written in several other comments I have made..

Players in this upcoming year in the NFL will have to look forward to a "new" attitude with Mgmt on just about all Teams... and that is, in part, due to Belicheck & the Patriots having won their 3rd SuperBowl... THAT NEW ATTITUDE will demand a new emphasis from the Player's performances in order for them to gain that "lucrative" new Contract.. and to have any chance whatsoever in gaining the FULL MEASURE of the monies inherently written up in those Contracts..... count on it.

While it may have been regular protocol, up to now, for players to gain up front signing bonuses - that tactic will not help them much any longer as with former Contracts like which Brett & others have received in the last five years, or so! Lately, we've seen Ted Washington & Ty Law both get the axe.. and this year, for good reason, we've seen quite a few BIG MONEY Contracts become suddenly not worth the paper they were written on.... Our own Mike Wahle will also find himself (alas...) looking elsewhere for the BIG MONEY... as will Darren Sharper.. and many many others on several Teams... (Tennessee, anyone?)

What I'm waiting for - is the emergence of a new clause from the Players tandpoint which will make then assured of getting & keeping the BIG money, even though they may get let go earlier than they expect... how that's accomplished is yet unknown - but look for them to try something, anything to return what is about to happen in the League... back to their advantage.

The Patriots have demonstrated an affinity to get middle of the road Players and make them better, if not great... and to get it done without signing outrageous contracts.. and the minute a player is due some sort of huge bonus... then their play had better damn well measure up to that pay standard or they will find themselves forfeiting it to be in FA land without any real lifeline other than whatever insurance is left to their disposals....

The days of Vince Lombardi and the Coaches ruling Teams with an iron fist, I feel, are about to re-emerge in the NFL... quietly albeit.. just the same, in an underground influence.. you will see more & more Coaches begin to clamp down on the Big EGO's of the NFL... in favor of imitating the winning strategies of one... Bill Belicheck! GREEDY Players, in a certain sense, in the NFL - are about to become a thing of the past..

If Sherman stays as Head Coach of the Packers - he'd better clamp down on these Players - do it forcefully, yet with respect... and with no defference to wiping their noses in any way... to do so will be to infect our Locker Room with a sense of mediocrity.. and we'll never see another Lombardi Trophy, ever again!

That's why I say he should NOT get any type of contract extension this year.... no talks should occur until during the Playoffs... pending we make the Playoffs in the 1005-6 Season.

Dustin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you imagine the uproar the players would create in their own circles if half of that came true?

A coach ruling with an iron fist used to be the norm - those were the days where players were forced to respect their coaches and do what they say or else they don't play. However these were also the days in which players played just to play - money changes people, and as soon as they found out they could get paid the way they are now, it's corrupted a lot of the sportsmanship of all pro (and some college for that matter) sports.

The Patriot's model is nothing short of amazing. The way they have turned mediocre players into 'stars' is out of this world. At this point, however, you have to ask yourself; is it the players they keep getting, or is it the system and coaches? Personally, I think it is the latter.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EVERYONE "knows".. it's the latter.. over half of the Pats line up is average at best and lackluster to say the least... They have a knack for getting into the Player's heads - changing the way the view the game from many different angles... on many other teams many of the Pats line up would be no-shows.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dustin said:
Exactly. Now we have to ask ourselves how to replicate their model. Not as easy as it sounds. :)
I beg to differ - we have plenty of templates from history itself....
It is, after all, the Lombardi template... Belicheck is copying the Packers...

All we need do - is "copy ourselves"... better than Belicheck has imitated us!
It's NOT 'their' model - it's "ours"....!

Members online

Latest posts