1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shawne Merriman

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ryanbodman, Oct 13, 2010.

1. ryanbodman

ryanbodman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So, the Chargers just put Merriman on Reserve, meaning when he is healthy in a couple of weeks, he must be released by San Diego. I really think TT should sign him. He will be a free agent, so no draft picks given up.
    Thoughts??

2. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    That's like using a wet band-aid to cover up a broken leg.

3. DTown SBrown

DTown SBrown Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +48
    Since he went off of HGH, hes done nothing. The man has lived on name alone since.

4 sack in 3 years "CLEAN", 39.5 sacks in 3 years "dirty".

No thanks. Plus his knee is garbage, his strength and size are mini, and he will want a GIANT contract for his lack of services. This is a bad move if any.

• Like Like x 2
  4. y5nthon5a

y5nthon5a Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Agreed with DTown.

5. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    At this point, we need a wet band-aid...

• Like Like x 2
  6. ryanbodman

ryanbodman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Mack. If it doesn't work out, release him. It wont cost us anything other then his salary. We need something!

7. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    Work him out, put him through his paces and see what's what. Can't harm, surely? Then tell him he's not going to get a huge *** contract and see what he thinks.

8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Nope. I honestly think Desmond Bishop is better now than Merriman. He's been a waste of space.

Folks, just because someone has a recognizable name doesn't mean he'd be good on our team. You have to look at the bigger picture, and most street free agents aren't really an upgrade over guys we currently have.

9. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    Bishop did have a very good game and I was thrilled with him, but it never hurts to work people out. Sometimes disgruntled players in one system, flourish in a fresh one, in a new city.. Not saying I want him, saying it wouldnt hurt to try it out

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    If the price is right, I'd absolutely do it.

But we need to understand the cap. It's not in effect right now, but it will be in the near future.

11. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    We still have plenty of money to spend, we wouldnt even be near the cap if it was there

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Yeah, but Sitton is making no money, so is Finley, Jenkins, Tramon Williams, Bigby, Jones and Nelson. All of them will want to be paid properly, and are in contract year.

We NEED the extra cap space.

13. DTown SBrown

DTown SBrown Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +48
    it doesnt matter. He has little left in the tank at age 26. His salary demands are going to be outrageous at best (his agent will blame lack of playing time and injury to his inability to produce. Not the chemicals that were floating in his blood).

If we could swing a trade for him and see if he produces, I would then be a little more intrigued. But I am pretty sure thats not poss now that hes on IR.

14. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Not as much room as you think. We still have a couple of notable free agents to sign with the cap money we do have- James Jones, Jason Spitz, and the biggies- Cullen Jenkins and Tramon Williams. Johnny Jolly is also a free agent, but given his circumstances, I dunno what we do with him.

There's a couple of lesser players who are free agents in 2011 as well- Brandon Jackson, Korey Hall, Desmond Bishop, Atari Bigby, Mason Crosby and Daryn Colledge.

WalterFootball.com: 2011 NFL Free Agency and Beyond - Expiring Contracts: Green Bay Packers

15. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Finley, Sitton and Nelson's contract years are 2012, but could all see new contracts in 2011 as well. Same with Scott Wells, Donald Lee, Ryan Grant and Matt Flynn, though I think Lee will be traded by then. Flynn might also be traded by then as we move Graham Harrell up and start developing the next guy.

16. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    The guy is done. Besides.................he hasn't done anything worth a damn since he ......got to play with Tila Tequila! lol .........and he should have only done that once.

17. Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    i dont think it could hurt to try him out at all.. anyone think that he hasnt been playing 100 percent cause he wanted out of san diego?.. i mean if you hate the team your playin for, your just simply not gonna give it your all.. and desmond bishop should have nothing to do with this decision seeing as they play two different positions

18. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,429
    Might as well try to smuggle Westbrook out from under SF's noses for all the good it will do us. I'd fancy Westbrook if it were up to me. ;)

19. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    Sign him and give him a bunch of HGH. There's no test. Just saying...

No. I'm not serious.

20. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    I am SOOOOOOO happy somebody started this thread. Shawn Merriman would look great opposite Clay Matthews. The guy only has 39.5 sacks since being drafted... and 3 Pro Bowls.

If this season has taught us anything, it is that a 3-4 defense can never have enough pass rushers or linebackers.

SIGN HIM NOW!

21. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Finley is the only guy mentioned who will demand top dollar. Sitton will get paid, but guard money... nothing drastic.

The Packers have been trying to replace Scott Wells for YEARS.

Nelson won't demand top dollar since he's a #4 receiver at the moment.

The Packers have the money for Merriman.

22. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    The Packers could lose all of these players and not skip a beat. We'd be losing a 3rd back, one of our 3 fullbacks, a backup LB who has wanted out of GB for the past year, a safety who has already been replaced and can't stay healthy, a kicker who almost lost his job this summer and a really, really back guard.

23. BBalzWI

BBalzWI Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    Not gonna lie, my mind would be blown if TT signed him. I believe he is not that great when he's clean either.

24. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    A few years ago, Charles Woodson was "done"

25. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I don't know why people think this is some great pickup. Injured in 08, only 4 sacks in 09, landed on temporary IR this season because he's hurt again.

BTW, technically he's still a Charger. He's on "Minor Injury" IR, meaning the Chargers have to release him when he's healthy and ready to go. I heard he's expected to be out at least two weeks, so he won't be available to help anyone for at least three, depending on his injury.