Shawne Merriman

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
A few years ago, Charles Woodson was "done"
CWood didn't show a large dropoff in the quality of his play after getting busted for roids, though.

Merriman is a very risk/reward signing for whatever team pulls the trigger. Because it could fail miserably. And dude's got an ego, he's not going to come cheap.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley is the only guy mentioned who will demand top dollar. Sitton will get paid, but guard money... nothing drastic.

The Packers have been trying to replace Scott Wells for YEARS.

Nelson won't demand top dollar since he's a #4 receiver at the moment.

The Packers have the money for Merriman.

HUGE waste of money signing Merriman if you ask me. I'd want the guy to prove it first. Prove he can stay healthy AND be a force. Since his surgery he's done neither.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why people think this is some great pickup. Injured in 08, only 4 sacks in 09, landed on temporary IR this season because he's hurt again.

BTW, technically he's still a Charger. He's on "Minor Injury" IR, meaning the Chargers have to release him when he's healthy and ready to go. I heard he's expected to be out at least two weeks, so he won't be available to help anyone for at least three, depending on his injury.

I think its a whole risk vs. reward thing. Pick him for the remainder of this year and all of next year. If he sucks, he's off the books after next season. If he has a career resurgence, the Packers benefit.

It was like when the White Sox picked up Manny Rameriez for nothing. If he's terrible, he's not your not your problem after the season. If he's good, you benefit.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merriman is a very risk/reward signing for whatever team pulls the trigger. Because it could fail miserably. And dude's got an ego, he's not going to come cheap.

Why is a "very risk/reward signing"?

The guy is not going to get a long term deal. He'll get a Moss with the Patriots deal. One full year to prove himself and earn a contract.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he'll be expensive. And potentially a distraction.

Like I said before, probably won't be expensive. Plus, this is an uncapped year. There is a possible lockout next season. Merriman will not get a long term deal.

Distraction? Green Bay is a 3-2 team who has four different starters on IR. ARod may miss a game due to a concussion. Clay Matthews isn't practicing due to a hamstring injury. What is he going to distract? This team needs a jolt.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Like I said before, probably won't be expensive. Plus, this is an uncapped year. There is a possible lockout next season. Merriman will not get a long term deal.

Distraction? Green Bay is a 3-2 team who has four different starters on IR. ARod may miss a game due to a concussion. Clay Matthews isn't practicing due to a hamstring injury. What is he going to distract? This team needs a jolt.
You can't spend willy nilly just because it's an uncapped year. There's going to be a cap again soon, then what happens if you're way over it?

And I'd call someone who *allegedly* beat Tila Tequila a potential distraction.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even still, he's not available now anyway. He's still on IR and hasn't been officially released by San Diego yet. You're looking at 3 weeks at the soonest, if the time table I heard is correct.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't spend willy nilly just because it's an uncapped year. There's going to be a cap again soon, then what happens if you're way over it?

And I'd call someone who *allegedly* beat Tila Tequila a potential distraction.

The Packers were $30 MILLION UNDER THE CAP last year. If they sign him to a two-year deal, this year's salary won't count against the non-existent cap. This means, Merriman will only count against the cap next year.

Regarding your second point, who gives a ****. Would you not want Ray Lewis because he killed a guy? Would you not want Randy Moss because he hit a state trooper with his car? Big Ben has won two Super Bowls and he can't stop sexually assaulting women.

Hell, Mark Chumura statory ***** a girl. Brett Favre as addicted to pain killers. The Packers must have been really "DISTRACTED" winning the Super Bowl.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm actually with you in the "Who gives a **** if they're a distraction?" thing, I just don't think Merriman's good enough to warrant that kind of chance anymore.

Moss? Sure. Ray Lewis? Probably. Ben? We already have a QB although I'd take him for this week.

I just don't think Merriman's that good anymore. Dude had 4 sacks and 36 tackles in 14 games last year. That's not enough production to take a chance.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually with you in the "Who gives a **** if they're a distraction?" thing, I just don't think Merriman's good enough to warrant that kind of chance anymore.

Moss? Sure. Ray Lewis? Probably. Ben? We already have a QB although I'd take him for this week.

I just don't think Merriman's that good anymore. Dude had 4 sacks and 36 tackles in 14 games last year. That's not enough production to take a chance.

I could see where you're coming from. I would just like to the Packers take a shot here.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a staff of people whose sole job is to look at other players and see if they'd be a good fit and try to work a deal, so I'm confident Ted and Co. will take a look at the guy. I dunno if that means they'll bring him in for a workout, try and work a deal or what, but I can almost guarantee they'll take a look like they do everyone else.

Just because we don't jump at every single free agent available doesn't mean we don't take a look and see if they would be an upgrade. Most don't pan out or are determined not to be good fits for our roster. Nothing wrong with that.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty sure Woodson was a straight up flyer, he had 2 teams interested in him, I expect a similar amount of interest for Merriman

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty sure Woodson was a straight up flyer, he had 2 teams interested in him, I expect a similar amount of interest for Merriman

Similar interest? Like 7 year 52 million dollar contract interest? Ill take that bet any day of the week

I see people on here all the time saying no one wanted woodson blah blah blah... you dont hand out huge contracts to someone nobody wants. Woodson had plenty of interest, just not alot at the 50 million dollar range.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were $30 MILLION UNDER THE CAP last year. If they sign him to a two-year deal, this year's salary won't count against the non-existent cap. This means, Merriman will only count against the cap next year.

Regarding your second point, who gives a ****. Would you not want Ray Lewis because he killed a guy? Would you not want Randy Moss because he hit a state trooper with his car? Big Ben has won two Super Bowls and he can't stop sexually assaulting women.

Hell, Mark Chumura statory ***** a girl. Brett Favre as addicted to pain killers. The Packers must have been really "DISTRACTED" winning the Super Bowl.

Wow I think only 1 of those accusations you are throwing out was close to accurate.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know for a fact that Merriman was a popular topic for coaches and TT. They were somewhat split on him, but I cant see them picking him up just based on which coach or coaches refused to have anything to do with him. They viewed him as a player who was only good because of steriods and that he would just be a distraction.

I think a name that hasnt been brought up much on the forum but should be investigated is Aaron Schobel. Reguardless of his lack of desire to play our Defense I think he could be a valuable asset to the team if he bought into the system.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a name that hasnt been brought up much on the forum but should be investigated is Aaron Schobel. Reguardless of his lack of desire to play our Defense I think he could be a valuable asset to the team if he bought into the system.

you're proposing convincing a 4-3 D-END out of retirement to play outside linebacker? that's got a -30% chance of happening

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're proposing convincing a 4-3 D-END out of retirement to play outside linebacker? that's got a -30% chance of happening

I would rather pay a guy that had double digit sacks last season than a guy who has had 4 since he got hurt 3 years ago. I have no idea what his interest in coming back is but at least its someone who isnt a 3rd string RB.

So you seriously think Merriman is going to get Woodson interest?!? WOW. If schobel is a -30% chance then Merriman knocking down a 7 year contract for over 50 million has to fall where exactly?

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow I think only 1 of those accusations you are throwing out was close to accurate.
lol where have you been? i think only 1 of those accusations WASN'T accurate.. and whether or not they all turned out true, they can still be considered "distractions"

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know for a fact that Merriman was a popular topic for coaches and TT. They were somewhat split on him, but I cant see them picking him up just based on which coach or coaches refused to have anything to do with him. They viewed him as a player who was only good because of steriods and that he would just be a distraction.

Aaron Schobel really? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were joking

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol where have you been? i think only 1 of those accusations WASN'T accurate.. and whether or not they all turned out true, they can still be considered "distractions"

1. Ray Lewis didnt kill anyone.
2. Randy never hit a state trooper with his car.
3. Chmura (not Chumura) was found not guilty.
4. Big Ben has never been convicted of anything.

where have I been? Here and there, sidelines at big games and all that.

Its only a distraction if you let it become one. Most of the situations happened during the offseason, or for chmura after he had played his last season.