Senior Bowl Thread

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Andre Dillard coming in at 6'4" 310 with 34" arms is a win for him. The concern for him is ability to hold up to power. Being 310 at that height is a good sign, and he still has the length for the outside.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Ohio State wr Terry mclaurin is a guy who should be on the Packers radar. At 6 feet 205 and a crisp route runner he's kinda in that Greg jennings mold but with much more speed. In 2018 he went 35 catches for 701 yards and 11 tds that's insane and leads me to believe that's he's one of those guys that's gonna be a much better NFL player than he was in college. I'd take him in the 4th over Paris Campbell in the first without a doubt. I mean a td every 3 opportunities clearly dudes a playmaker and you can't ever have enough of those

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Apparently Ohio State wr Terry mclaurin is a guy who should be on the Packers radar. At 6 feet 205 and a crisp route runner he's kinda in that Greg jennings mold but with much more speed. In 2018 he went 35 catches for 701 yards and 11 tds that's insane and leads me to believe that's he's one of those guys that's gonna be a much better NFL player than he was in college. I'd take him in the 4th over Paris Campbell in the first without a doubt. I mean a td every 3 opportunities clearly dudes a playmaker and you can't ever have enough of those

Maybe the Packers should get them both.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Penny Hart is one of the first difference making punt returners I've heard about in this class. That's a huge need that no one is talking about.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently McLaurin is the fastest player from the North at 22.2. I can't imagine Campbell being much faster if at all. (I'm guessing 21.8 personally). McLaurin is more NFL ready to me. So if it had to be between the two, most definitely McLaurin. But if they like Hart I'm all for it as he's probably still a Day 3 pick. We have more pressing needs in the early rounds.

I'm glad Ximenes is doing well, I can't lock in his stock. Perhaps he and Ferguson leave with a solid 2nd Round grade if not higher. I'm a huge advocate of trading back, to get another 2-3 picks, and we may need to hope one of these guys are still available. To get a great guy like White or Sweat I fear is going to cost us on the back end.

Tytus Howard is emerging as one of the better OTs in the Draft class, as he drew even with Sweat. Howard wants a rematch going into Day 3, I'll be looking forward to the results.

Renell Wren, may be an intriguing chess piece on the defensive line for Pettine along with the surging Daylon Mack. Mack is more of a NT, while Wren looks better as a tradtional DT. But if Pettine likes his pressure from there, I don't think two players in different molds who offer different skillsets would hurt. Be up to Gute to see what he desires most as he pretty much inherited the entire defense last year.

Anthony Nelson keeps rising, may be now a solid Day 2 pick. I'm scrambling to find some gems who may stay down in Day 3. He's too hot right now.

Anthony Johnson is looking like an NFL WR. He wins not just with speed, but also technique. I've been looking for someone why may last on the back end of Day 2 or early Day 3 as an opportunity pick, he may be it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Everything about Deebo Samuel says he would be a good punt returner but he basically never did it in college.

If he can, he'd be an ideal pick for the Packers. He can get open in a hurry, works inside, is a Yac thread, fantastic kick returner, and is a great Gunner.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Apparently McLaurin is the fastest player from the North at 22.2. I can't imagine Campbell being much faster if at all. (I'm guessing 21.8 personally). McLaurin is more NFL ready to me. So if it had to be between the two, most definitely McLaurin. But if they like Hart I'm all for it as he's probably still a Day 3 pick. We have more pressing needs in the early rounds.

Unfortunately the game tape shows Parris Campbell with the ball in his hands is much more 'Explosive" then McLaurin. Campbell can gear up and down better then anyone in this class with the exception of maybe Brown but when considering Campbell's size advantage he can be used in so many more ways then Brown so I give the nod to Campbell.

I'm not interested in "Fake Nike's"

More pressing needs? Did you not witness our offensive deficiencies last season?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Everything about Deebo Samuel says he would be a good punt returner but he basically never did it in college.

If he can, he'd be an ideal pick for the Packers. He can get open in a hurry, works inside, is a Yac thread, fantastic kick returner, and is a great Gunner.

I like Deebo too. He would be my fallback on Campbell.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the game tape shows Parris Campbell with the ball in his hands is much more 'Explosive" then McLaurin. Campbell can gear up and down better then anyone in this class with the exception of maybe Brown but when considering Campbell's size advantage he can be used in so many more ways then Brown so I give the nod to Campbell.

I'm not interested in "Fake Nike's"

More pressing needs? Did you not witness our offensive deficiencies last season?

Part of our offensive deficiencies were the archaic playbook from Mike McCarthy.

Next to Edge, OL is a more pressing need than WR or TE. We play Khalil Mack/Roquan Smith twice a year now along with a stout Vikings defense, both of which almost decimated Rodgers 2 years straight. Can't throw downfield to your speedsters if Rodgers is on his back or Kizer/Boyle are running for their lives.

I'm not sure what "Fake Nikes" is supposed to mean...unless you have an issue with laser/hand timing.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Part of our offensive deficiencies were the archaic playbook from Mike McCarthy.

Next to Edge, OL is a more pressing need than WR or TE. We play Khalil Mack/Roquan Smith twice a year now along with a stout Vikings defense, both of which almost decimated Rodgers 2 years straight. Can't throw downfield to your speedsters if Rodgers is on his back or Kizer/Boyle are running for their lives.

I'm not sure what "Fake Nikes" is supposed to mean...unless you have an issue with laser/hand timing.

Yes, Mcarthy is gone and the offense won't rely so heavily on man beating routes with Rodgers holding on to the ball forever with the new emphasis being scheme players open but we still need some more premium weapons to make it work effectively.

If you think this offense is all the sudden gonna be some well oiled machine with adding an offensive lineman and a day 3 reciever to a LaFleur offense your kidding yourself.

And as far as imposing our will and running the ball like I've been hearing talked about recently. Well, that's not happening either with the current cast of characters we have.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not just one, several. I would prefer Gute draft at least 2 linemen, preferably 3. TT has stocked the cupboard with mostly mystery men up front and rarely do they ever take off. If LaFleur wants to run the ball, that's going to have to change sooner than later. If Aaron Jones is going to be the 1000 yard back that we know he could be then it's an absolute necessity while also drafting a more bruising back to compliment him as well.

Our WR corps isn't amazing but the rookies have shown promise. Campbell is by no means the next Randy Moss, so he isn't going to transform the offense overnight. He'll take 2-3 years to develop just like most. A veteran or maybe a WR who is Day 2 but slides down to Day 3 would do fine. Keep in mind that with all the defense and QBs going Day 1 and Day 2 that's very likely to happen.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not just one, several. I would prefer Gute draft at least 2 linemen, preferably 3. TT has stocked the cupboard with mostly mystery men up front and rarely do they ever take off. If LaFleur wants to run the ball, that's going to have to change sooner than later. If Aaron Jones is going to be the 1000 yard back that we know he could be then it's an absolute necessity while also drafting a more bruising back to compliment him as well.

Our WR corps isn't amazing but the rookies have shown promise. Campbell is by no means the next Randy Moss, so he isn't going to transform the offense overnight. He'll take 2-3 years to develop just like most. A veteran or maybe a WR who is Day 2 but slides down to Day 3 would do fine. Keep in mind that with all the defense and QBs going Day 1 and Day 2 that's very likely to happen.

They could probably get LJ Scott in 4-5th who I think would be an upgrade over Williams or at least another option.

Yes, they need help on the OL and while this Dillard hype train has started out there I'm not sure he is the style of OL the Packers will desire under LaFleur. Time will tell. Dillard definitely fits the bill on what the Packers have asked OT to do in past.

Campbell is a different type of player then Moss. I can easily see how he could be schemed effectively in a LaFleur offense day 1. There is no replacement for the type of speed Campbell provides.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like Deebo too. He would be my fallback on Campbell.

I think it's critical that whoever the Packers draft for that role be able to return punts.

They have been absolutely dreadful in that regard without Trevor Davis, and weren't amazing with him. I've read a lot of posts to the effect that "it will sort itself out," but of course that's not true. You either find a capable returner or you don't.

Campbell and Samuel have both done a good bit of kick returning, but virtually no punt returning. That doesn't mean they can't do it, but the Packers need to figure that out before drafting them.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think it's critical that whoever the Packers draft for that role be able to return punts.

They have been absolutely dreadful in that regard without Trevor Davis, and weren't amazing with him. I've read a lot of posts to the effect that "it will sort itself out," but of course that's not true. You either find a capable returner or you don't.

Campbell and Samuel have both done a good bit of kick returning, but virtually no punt returning. That doesn't mean they can't do it, but the Packers need to figure that out before drafting them.

I could see them going with the guy that potentially provides that option which I believe they both could. Campbell being more of the guy hitting a crease and Deebo having a more physical nature to him. Both of these players I think would be amazing in Green and Gold and provide a huge upgrade over Trevor Davis.

However, I am not sure why we haven't seen Jaire Alexander in that role either.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I could see them going with the guy that potentially provides that option which I believe they both could. Campbell being more of the guy hitting a crease and Deebo having a more physical nature to him. Both of these players I think would be amazing in Green and Gold and provide a huge upgrade over Trevor Davis.

However, I am not sure why we haven't seen Jaire Alexander in that role either.

Hopefully they can get some sort of exposure to these guys fielding punts at some point.

I would say Alexander is not in that role for the same reason that teams tend not to use their important starters as punt returners in general-- injury risk.

H

HardRightEdge

IHowever, I am not sure why we haven't seen Jaire Alexander in that role either.
Alexander fielded 5 punts in weeks 13 and 14. He muffed 2 of them in week 14 and recovered both, but that was that. Job #1: catch the ball.

He did some weird stuff in preseason, letting the ball hit the ground around the 10 as he blocked a guy trying to down it. He got away with it as the balls went to the end zone, but it was not a good look.

I thought he might win the job last season, but this is not an auspicious start. He might get another shot.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already have 6 Day 3/4 WR's that no one seems to be happy with. 2-3 of them were mentioned as possible day 2 picks in other years.

And I can't for the life of me understand why, as if rookie WRs are supposed to get 700 yds rec and 9 TDs their first year. They did fine for the situation they walked into.

Here are the best Rookie WR seasons to date:

OBJ (2014)- 91 rec, 1305 yds, 12 TDs

Moss (1998)- 69 rec, 1313 yds, 17 TDs

Boldin (2003)- 101 rec, 1377 yds, 8 TDs

Thomas (2016)- 92 rec, 1137 yds, 9 TDs

Evans (2014)- 68 rec, 1051 yds, 12 TDs

Benjamin (2014)- 73 rec, 1008 yds, 9 TDs

Colston (2006)- 70 rec, 1038 yds, 8 TDs

If you ask me there isn't any WR in this draft class even close to replicating those numbers so again a Day 3 guy who should've gone Day 2 will suffice. But that's just my opinion.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
And I can't for the life of me understand why, as if rookie WRs are supposed to get 700 yds rec and 9 TDs their first year. They did fine for the situation they walked into.

Here are the best Rookie WR seasons to date:

OBJ (2014)- 91 rec, 1305 yds, 12 TDs

Moss (1998)- 69 rec, 1313 yds, 17 TDs

Boldin (2003)- 101 rec, 1377 yds, 8 TDs

Thomas (2016)- 92 rec, 1137 yds, 9 TDs

Evans (2014)- 68 rec, 1051 yds, 12 TDs

Benjamin (2014)- 73 rec, 1008 yds, 9 TDs

Colston (2006)- 70 rec, 1038 yds, 8 TDs

If you ask me there isn't any WR in this draft class even close to replicating those numbers so again a Day 3 guy who should've gone Day 2 will suffice. But that's just my opinion.

Since 2013

Charles Johnson "Day 3"
Kevin Dorsey "Day 3" Jeff Janis "Day 3"
Jared Abbrederis "Day 3"
Trevor Davis "Day 3"
DeAngelo Yancy "Day 3"
Malachai Dupre "Day 3"
MVS "Day 3"
St. Brown "Day 3"
J. Moore "Day 3"

You do understand what the definition of insanity is right?

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your point but you do get what I mean by the term "slides" right? The majority of those picks by Ted Thompson most likely would have been UDFAs without him selecting them. Only Dupre who had character issues was worth drafting before the most recent crop.

You can't tell me MVS doesn't at least look like a 1000 yd guy in the next 2-3 seasons and EQSB most likely a 600-700 yd guy with more experience and coaching.

But again the chances of us finding a WR who is going to put up a near 1000+ yd season with 8 or more TDs in this Draft class I don't see. However, finding an OL who can anchor the line or a S who can take away the deep 3rd while still having an impact in the running game from Day 1, those odds are much better.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I understand your point but you do get what I mean by the term "slides" right? The majority of those picks by Ted Thompson most likely would have been UDFAs without him selecting them. Only Dupre who had character issues was worth drafting before the most recent crop.

You can't tell me MVS doesn't at least look like a 1000 yd guy in the next 2-3 seasons and EQSB most likely a 600-700 yd guy with more experience and coaching.

But again the chances of us finding a WR who is going to put up a near 1000+ yd season with 8 or more TDs in this Draft class I don't see. However, finding an OL who can anchor the line or a S who can take away the deep 3rd while still having an impact in the running game from Day 1, those odds are much better.

I want Gute to attack the board and get "playmakers" on offense that they Love in a LaFleur offense on day 1-2. I'm not interested in picking up crumbs and leaving the whole thing on someone dropping and then putting all our eggs in that one basket.

I get that some people like defense(I personally do as I played safety) but that ship has sailed and this yearly spend all the premium capital on defense has worn out.

I do like MVS but see him as a 3 or a 4 which is what your lucky to get on "Day 3". It took "10 Day 3 picks" to generate a No.3 -4 receiver in MVS. The Packers need a legit no.2 and I am not confident at all they will find him on Day 3.

Members online

Latest posts