Secondary

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK...I know it is very early to be saying this, but I just have a sneaking suspicion that the Packers' secondary is going to suprise a lot of people this year.

Harris is a proven pro with a scheme that plays to his strength... disruption at the line of scrimmage. For his spindly build, the guy is stronger than hell and WRs have a hard time disengaging when he gets his hands on them.

Somehow, I think the Carroll/Thomas situation is going to hash itself out satisfactorily. Thomas will soon be back on the field to push Carroll harder than ever. And if you will recall, Thomas was playing good ball pior to getting hurt. So whether he resumes form and wins out, or pushes Carroll to new heights of performance, I feel comfortable with the outcome.

From what little I have seen live, and much on film, and tons of word-of-mouth, Nick Collins looks like somethiong special in the making. Lots of range, good awareness, reading the QB and not the WR (his end zone int), excellent athleticism and an appetite for contact (which usually ends up with helmets flying and footballs popping). He looks to worth the position he was drafted. Haven't been this excited about a GB safety since they drafted the other #36.......

Roman looks to be well on the road to recovery from being the primary recipient of Bob Slo-wit and his merry band of idiots' insane schemes/decisions. Look for a solid recovery from #23.

Add the the mix the explosive Michael Hawkins, hard hitting Marviel Underwood, and round out the group with Chris Johnson or Horton, and it looks like an exciting and playmaking group.

Don't be suprised if at the end of the season the secondary is the strength of this defensive unit.

Just a hunch!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. No less than Ron Wolf singled out Collins as being potentially a special player when he attended practise the other day. The guy's all over the field.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pretty much sold on Collins when I heard that Baltimore said they were going to pick him just a few slots later if GB didn't. Call me crazy, but it seems like they know a little about defensive players...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
I was pretty much sold on Collins when I heard that Baltimore said they were going to pick him just a few slots later if GB didn't. Call me crazy, but it seems like they know a little about defensive players...

The Ravens called the Packers and congratulated them. I thought that was cool and a good sign.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Montgomery can be a solid Pass rusher coupled with the improved DB's we may be a very good D. I sure as hope it happens since all in all we have a very young D, which could be special for more than one season.

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawkins has leveled off since the San Diego game. I hope its not a confidence problem. There's a lot of talent in the secondary, a lot of young talent.

The biggest thing that the entire defense is missing (including the secondary) is a vocal leader.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Digs,

nice write up. I agree with your conclustions on our secondary. Thomas and Collins could really help out this season. And watch out for Hawkins.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you guys are right, but I think this group is still a season or two away from being really good. I've liked Harris ever since he came here, and the safeties are looking better, but that second cornerback spot is a MAJOR weak link right now. If somebody doesn't step forward to solidify that spot, opposing teams are going to exploit it mercilessly when the regular season begins. It's kind of sad that Hawkins is our best hope, because he is still very raw and it shows how little confidence many of us have in Carroll and Thomas, who were high draft picks. Getting back to the safeties, Collins is a rookie and he WILL make mistakes when the season begins and opposing teams open up their playbooks. They will be going after him. I like him, but he will need some experience.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I hope you guys are right, but I think this group is still a season or two away from being really good. I've liked Harris ever since he came here, and the safeties are looking better, but that second cornerback spot is a MAJOR weak link right now. If somebody doesn't step forward to solidify that spot, opposing teams are going to exploit it mercilessly when the regular season begins. It's kind of sad that Hawkins is our best hope, because he is still very raw and it shows how little confidence many of us have in Carroll and Thomas, who were high draft picks. Getting back to the safeties, Collins is a rookie and he WILL make mistakes when the season begins and opposing teams open up their playbooks. They will be going after him. I like him, but he will need some experience.

Greg: you lack of confidence is based upon a season with rookies thrown to the wolves in a rudderless system that was beyond hope. You are too quick to write off Carroll and Thomas -- both have talent and both have made big strides. San Diego put up 7 on a blitz against Hawkins, other than that they shut them out. This with a new scheme that was playing pretty vanilla and with players rotating in that are just starting to have a clue about the scheme.

We are in far better shape in the secondary than the pundits and quick to give up fans are facing. Is this a dominant secondary right now -- No, but it has all of the ingredients to become one quickly if the youngsters work hard and keep learning. Here is Carroll working with the man who is going to push him towards meeting his vast potential
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without dreams what do any of us have? To expect that this secondary will turn out to be really good would be amazing. I think the Packers took some flyers on a few players including Collins and Underwood, but what the heck, what we had wasn't doing the job. I will say this, you have to draft talent and then you have to coach them to be better. Great coaches can make good players better. I hope these guys turn out to be ok.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bates difference is going to be the one that really moves this unit along.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lonewolf said:
Too bad the Bates difference isn't doing much for the defensive line, based on early returns! :)

Early is the operative word! Patience my friend.... patience. One exhibition game is on the books and even there they only gave up 7 points despite constent rotation and not having all the packages in. And San Diego is a legit playoff team. Too early to give up on the difference Bates will make -- we are already seeing some of it and it has only just begun.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest thing that the entire defense is missing (including the secondary) is a vocal leader.

Agreed!! All you have to do is look back to the playoff game disaster last year when the players in the secondary were at each others throats by the end of the game. I would be curious to know if any members of this forum that have been to some practices have noticed anyone on the defensive side of the ball assuming a leadership position.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Barnett is kind of exerting himself as a defensive leader.....Cleditius Hunt too.

Awwwww, c'mon....I am kidding on the second one!!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NCPackerfan said:
Agreed!! All you have to do is look back to the playoff game disaster last year when the players in the secondary were at each others throats by the end of the game. I would be curious to know if any members of this forum that have been to some practices have noticed anyone on the defensive side of the ball assuming a leadership position.
Al Harris is a leader on defense, Diggs is a leader on defense, Barnett is or will soon be a leader on defense and I also think Aaron Kampman is a leader on defense. There is also a defensive leader on the sidelines for the first time in Jim Bates.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If we had a leader last year that whole little stunt Moss did at Lambeau would have been much more. What I am saying is if we had a leader that leader would have knocked Moss flat on his *** and that 15yd penatly on the kickoff would have been justified by every Packer fan. I shouldn't say EVERY, perhaps most would have been okay with it. I sure as hell would have.

Members online

Latest posts