Season is officially over...what now?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just sayin I don't think it is of all that importance we win or lose right now. Sure it would be nice to win last two games but I think playing the younger guys and the back end of roster to have more importance right now. Of course the young guys should play to win but it's the younger guys that should be doing that at this stage. Maybe we find a diamond in the ruff with a guy like Michael Clark just for example.

We've had season after season and the last 14-15 weeks to see what we have with top half of roster and its extremely flawed. The defensive scheme is flawed and the coaching on that side of the ball as well. What more is two more games of mediocrity gonna prove anyways?

It's over.

OK, that makes sense. Just didn't get that from
I don't see what all the fuss is about in getting a 2nd place trophy instead of a 3rd place trophy. Expectations should have obviously changed by now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It is not over. The regular season is not preseason. If you want the Packers to win, you will hate seeing Green Bay lose either of the last two games. It is one thing to like seeing the young guys play but treating two regular season games as preseason games is stupid. Team only play to win.

Unfortunately if serious changes aren't made I believe as far as winning a Super Bowl it is "over". I do understand the pride thing and will be cheering the younger guys on the last two weeks. I'm not gonna get all worked up like I usually do if they lose though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM doesn't get a pass and I am frustrated with him too. I'm just a little gun shy on separating Rodgers from him with the relationship and success they have had.

Fair, I personally think Rodgers has made MM look far better than he is but I can understand how some would feel that way. However, as a counterpoint, does that MM should never be separated from Rodgers? I mean, when was the last time anyone looked at the Packers offense and thought, "wow, MM did something really neat and innovative there". I mean, Andy Reid has shown more offensive coaching skill with Alex Smith than I think I've ever seen from MM. What would need to happen for you (and not trying to single you out in a negative light, just honestly curious) to be ok with separating the two of them?

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately if serious changes aren't made I believe as far as winning a Super Bowl it is "over". I do understand the pride thing and will be cheering the younger guys on the last two weeks. I'm not gonna get all worked up like I usually do if they lose though.

The only definnition of "it is over" is there are no games left to play. Have you ever said the calendar year is over before the Times Square ball drops?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Fair, I personally think Rodgers has made MM look far better than he is but I can understand how some would feel that way. However, as a counterpoint, does that MM should never be separated from Rodgers? I mean, when was the last time anyone looked at the Packers offense and thought, "wow, MM did something really neat and innovative there". I mean, Andy Reid has shown more offensive coaching skill with Alex Smith than I think I've ever seen from MM. What would need to happen for you (and not trying to single you out in a negative light, just honestly curious) to be ok with separating the two of them?

You could also point to Sean Mcvay in Los Angeles with youngster Goff. I mean he has completely transformed that team and offense. I understand MM's scheme is nothing special but we don't have a Julio Jones or Antonio Brown type either like some of the other top offenses (Draft Courtland Sutton). Could we do better then MM? Sure, I believe we could but I just think Capers and Thompson are more pressing to replace in regards to winning a Super Bowl. I believe with a new and good DC and a more stocked roster along with a healthy Aaron Rodgers that Green Bay could have a pretty darn good shot at winning a Super Bowl even with MM.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only definnition of "it is over" is there are no games left to play. Have you ever said the calendar year is over before the Times Square ball drops?

If the only thing one cares about in the pro football realm is having the Packers win the Lombardi, it is over. If I die before the ball drops, the calendar year is over.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the only thing one cares about in the pro football realm is having the Packers win the Lombardi, it is over. If I die before the ball drops, the calendar year is over.

It is a week-to-week league. Do you only want to win barely enough games to sneak into the playoffs, or actually win every game? Even the Patiriots have never played in three consecutive Super Bowls.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a week-to-week league. Do you only want to win barely enough games to sneak into the playoffs, or actually win every game? Even the Patiriots have never played in three consecutive Super Bowls.

You lost me again. Probably my age, but what does any of this have to do with whether or not this season is over for some Packer fans?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we can't do anything to hurt the Lions, losing to them would be the option. Since we can still mess with the Vikes' positioning, beat them.

OP
OP
F

FrozenTakesInGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Force TT/Dom to "retire/work as front office consultants". Nuff said...

2. Replace TT/Dom with Eliot Wolf/Todd Bowles. Wolf will be more aggressive in FA/work to update the team's philosophy and roster to today's NFL. Where the RBs can keep heat off your vet QB (Saints) and you gotta be able to hit the QB (practically the entire NFC Playoff field this year-i.e. MIN/ATL/CAR/PHI). Bowles will be the engineer of a consistent Top 12 D his first two years, then bump it up to eventually hover around Top 7.

*That's more than enough for the rest of AR12's days as our signal-caller for him to start hawking down TB12 in jewelry.*

3. Trade Nick Perry to Rams/sign Malcolm Butler in FA/climb up in draft to snag some defensive studs for transformation on D. LA has cap space, and a lower pick in top round anyway due to making playoffs. We give them this year's 4th/6th/7th next year's 5th and #53 for their 1st. NE can't pay Butler and Gilmore, so BB doesn't match our offer for the former. We go "ALL-IN" for real this time with Young Wolf out to prove something. Restructure #18/#87 thru 2020 to lower their cap #s, guap up #17/#63, resign #73/#81/#82/#42/#48/#55/#91 to 1-2 YR cheap deals, extend #12, and then grab Butler. Come draft time have to finally get the defense some real chess pieces to put on the board. Before the draft we give up our 3rd in '17 + 4th and 5th in '18 to get an extra early 2nd. Gotta hunt for big game, not fish for minnows. We pluck these nine in April:

Harold Landry OLB BC 1st
Dorance Armstrong Jr OLB Kansas 1st TRADE
Jaire Alexander CB Louisville 2nd TRADE
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo OLB/ILB Oklahoma 2nd
Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon 3rd [comp]
Mike Love DE South Florida 5th
Jordan Akins TE Central Florida 5th [comp]
Hercules Mata'afa OLB Wash State 6th [comp]
Jordan Thomas TE Miss State 6th [comp]

We have the requisite parts for Bowles to work with to get the D back at least respectable, somewhere it hasn't been in ages. Wolf sets us up for immediate (and future) success with some savvy moves this spring.

4. Adopt a 'no-excuse mentality'. Win or Bust "Lombardi" approach from now on with Aaron at the helm. Meaning adapt or become extinct/not in GB any longer. MM either uses his young backs more efficiently and effectively to balance the wunderkind play of AR12/a defense that is not lights out at the present date or he's gone. #52 plays out his final season under contract at mostly ILB or he's gone. We adjust to the modern NFL with some stout defenses and elite athletes changing the benchmark or we fall behind. Waaaay behind.

This season better finally wake up Mark Murphy. It's time to reboot...

No way is Hercules available in the 6th round, to me he is a first round pick. #1 has now been checked off the list, great call by the organization. I'm just glad that I didn't have to tell Aaron about being put back on IR!

I have no idea why anyone is arguing that the season isn't over. In actuality it isn't, we all know that. In reality it is. I think the only reason we cheer for the Pack is to see them bring home their 14th championship. When a NFL, MLB, NBA team is eliminated from playoff contention their season is over. When you lose in the playoffs your season is over. When you win the title your season is over. If there are games between the time you get eliminated and the end of the regular season, you should use them to evaluate guys on your roster that you don't normally see (i.e. Preseason). Not sure why some are so bent out of shape about this statement.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fire capers

What I don't understand is why MM is so afraid of change. It took him forever to get rid of Slocum. A few more years to change TE and RB coaches. How long has this defense been in the dumpster? I know that saying If, will get me nowhere, but if we had a good defense we probably would have won one or two more games. I have been wanting MM to get Capers to retire since 2014. I don't know what has to happen before MM sees the light.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Season is officially over...what now?

accept the resignations of capers and thompson, if the new gm wants to keep mm...fine, sign adams, extend rodgers if necessary, actually have a plan where free agency and the draft compliment each other, get an upgrade (or two) in free agency, draft best player available depending on what free agency brings us.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM can stay, him and Rodgers have a good relationship that should extend to Rodgers retirement imo. Capers need to go, that I am sure of and I’m generally very conservative with big staff changes. But no excuses for the defense to be as bad as it has been. We’ve spent too many years and draft picks trying to play catch up with the porous D. Also wouldn’t mind if TT stepped down. We have a guy waiting in the wings who multiple teams have been chomping at the bit to acquire.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any really would have wanted to chomp, they would have. It's not as if they've prevented him from pursuing or looking elsewhere. If Wolf takes over one day he does, in not, he doesn't. If he goes somewhere else, so be it, but if a team wanted him badly enough all they had to do was chomp hard enough and he'd have been gone. so either he knows what's lined up here and wants it, or he's not lined up here and nobody else wanted him yet either and neither do we.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way is Hercules available in the 6th round, to me he is a first round pick. #1 has now been checked off the list, great call by the organization. I'm just glad that I didn't have to tell Aaron about being put back on IR!

I have no idea why anyone is arguing that the season isn't over. In actuality it isn't, we all know that. In reality it is. I think the only reason we cheer for the Pack is to see them bring home their 14th championship. When a NFL, MLB, NBA team is eliminated from playoff contention their season is over. When you lose in the playoffs your season is over. When you win the title your season is over. If there are games between the time you get eliminated and the end of the regular season, you should use them to evaluate guys on your roster that you don't normally see (i.e. Preseason). Not sure why some are so bent out of shape about this statement.

I think the kid from WAZZU will be there if he runs as slow as it sounds like he will in the 40. From what I've seen of him (saw a couple bits and pieces of WSU games live on ESPN/Youtube reels) he's a natural EDGE rusher but has been mostly playing out of position on the line instead of standing up as a 3-4 OLB. Physically he reminds me of Carl Bradford-only he wasn't lined up in a bunch of spots when I saw him where the ASU guy played inside/outside and on the LOS in three/four point stances before we drafted him. That may be a good or bad thing. At any rate, that's enough intel for me at this point to give me the feeling he's a middle day 3 guy, unless something drastically changes/he kills his workouts this spring...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think the kid from WAZZU will be there if he runs as slow as it sounds like he will in the 40. From what I've seen of him (saw a couple bits and pieces of WSU games live on ESPN/Youtube reels) he's a natural EDGE rusher but has been mostly playing out of position on the line instead of standing up as a 3-4 OLB. Physically he reminds me of Carl Bradford-only he wasn't lined up in a bunch of spots when I saw him where the ASU guy played inside/outside and on the LOS in three/four point stances before we drafted him. That may be a good or bad thing. At any rate, that's enough intel for me at this point to give me the feeling he's a middle day 3 guy, unless something drastically changes/he kills his workouts this spring...

He isn't a day 1 prospect. That's for sure.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just saying if we still have games to play, the "season" is not over. Only the possibility of playing more than 16 games is over, which is a completely different fact.
Physically, it is not over.
Metaphorically, it is.

These last two games are meaningless for us.
Besides the game itself what do we have to lose when we lose them?

D

Deleted member 6794

The only clear need on defense is a need for a much improved pass rush to come from somewhere.

I would add the need for a #1 cornerback as well. Unfortunately that are the most important positions on defense.

For example if we lose both of our last 2 games 38-35 but Hundley goes for 8 TDs and 0 INTs, that could be a very good thing for us. Some team might think, "Hey, that guy has figured it out and we want him to be our franchise QB."

I'm still trying to figure out how the Packers may end up with only 35 points with Hundley throwing eight touchdowns. :D

Yeah, living in Austria and therefore being six hours ahead I've done that a lot of times. :D

Since we can't do anything to hurt the Lions, losing to them would be the option. Since we can still mess with the Vikes' positioning, beat them.

The Lions still can make the playoffs, giving the Packers a chance to possibly eliminate them from contention.

I don't want the Packers to draft a player reminding anyone of Carl Bradford.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course losing the last 2 games serves a purpose. Yes, the draft order is determined by many teams, but it's obviously also determined by our own record. Right now we'd pick 16th. If we win our last two, we'll pick 19th or 20th. If we lose them, probably around 12th. Certainly there's potential for talent differential between the 12th and 20th picks.

With that said, will I root for the Packers to beat the Vikings and Lions? Yes. Will I be disappointed and emotionally invested in a loss the way I am when the games matter? No, not one bit.

Worse than draft position I'd hate to see the organization somehow spin 9-7 into a positive and use it to justify the status quo remaining the same going into next season.

Thank you for the perfect response.

Reaction score
First, I’m very appreciative of Dom for the early memories and SB he helped win. That said,
that was then this is now. We’re hanging our heads doing the same thing with the same results year in and year out and it’s time for ground up changes in our Defensive strategy. I’ll take my chances letting Dom go because it can’t get much worse.
As far as Thompson, I do believe he has an immense degree of knowledge but he’s too conservative overall in a league that changes constantly. TT had to have his hand forced just to sign 1 starting TE an OG and a couple of other mediocre FA players. If that’s the best we’ll get I want him gone because we’re not serious about making a push when we lose a guy like Julius and sign Vince Biegel to replace him (no Offense to Vince but JP is a hall of famer). To even reason that he might’ve been provoked to stay for one more year for under $5-6M is disheartening. Especially when everyone here knows good and well that pass rush is the key component in being successful on Defence. Then we also let Datone and Elliott go. We clearly needed to get better at OLB, but we decided to ignore that vacuum hole it left.
As far as McArthy, his biggest problem is indirectly letting these 2 Bozos get away with the lack of production. But directly, I have not heard 1 persons reasonable argument for why he should be let go. Everything I have heard negative about him is the same thing that near every coach in the league has made the same mistakes in the games I’ve watched.
I’ve also seen far worse mistakes than MM makes, he’s human for heavens sakes. It’s like saying we should fire our O Line because they committed 4 penalties in a game. It doesn’t hold any weight.

I’ll be content with a new DC at minimum that shows the team recognizes our biggest weakness.
I can live with TT or MM but My feelings aren’t hurt if TT goes too. I’m kinda neutral on him but leaning against his conservatism.

Also allow me to say that these couple of fans in here that say they “hate” anyone of these coaches on some personal level? Or they would “go off” on them if they had a chance? That’s a sad representation of your personality IMO.
I respect Dom and wish him the absolute best and it’s nothing personal as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
First, I’m very appreciative of Dom for the early memories and SB he helped win. That said,
that was then this is now. We’re hanging our heads doing the same thing with the same results year in and year out and it’s time for ground up changes in our Defensive strategy. I’ll take my chances letting Dom go because it can’t get much worse.
As far as Thompson, I do believe he has an immense degree of knowledge but he’s too conservative overall in a league that changes constantly. TT had to have his hand forced just to sign 1 starting TE an OG and a couple of other mediocre FA players. If that’s the best we’ll get I want him gone because we’re not serious about making a push when we lose a guy like Julius and sign Vince Biegel to replace him (no Offense to Vince but JP is a hall of famer). To even reason that he might’ve been provoked to stay for one more year for under $5-6M is disheartening. Especially when everyone here knows good and well that pass rush is the key component in being successful on Defence. Then we also let Datone and Elliott go. We clearly needed to get better at OLB, but we decided to ignore that vacuum hole it left.
As far as McArthy, his biggest problem is indirectly letting these 2 Bozos get away with the lack of production. But directly, I have not heard 1 persons reasonable argument for why he should be let go. Everything I have heard negative about him is the same thing that near every coach in the league has made the same mistakes in the games I’ve watched.
I’ve also seen far worse mistakes than MM makes, he’s human for heavens sakes. It’s like saying we should fire our O Line because they committed 4 penalties in a game. It doesn’t hold any weight.

I’ll be content with a new DC at minimum that shows the team recognizes our biggest weakness.
I can live with TT or MM but My feelings aren’t hurt if TT goes too. I’m kinda neutral on him but leaning against his conservatism.

I agree with all of this but I believe for this team to take the next jump neccessary for reasons you provided that TT needs to go as well.

Capers is a no brainer.

Members online

Latest posts