Season is officially over...what now?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Or I could go through and lock every thread and temp ban anyone that makes a new one between now and the draft.

Hmm now that I think about that.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To who??? You'd be lucky to get a 7th or 6th for the first two. IF (<big if) you can find a taker for their contracts. Monty might get a 5th. All three have a year left on their contracts. Would you want TT to trade anything of value to get any of them?

Dang, the funny stuff smokers showed up early this year. Going to be a long off season if this is any indication.
They playing too much Madden Franchise.. lol.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The needs seem to be growing with each successive year.

WR is turning into a need even if Adams is re-signed, with Nelson and Cobb looking lucky to even finish out their respective deals in 2018.

TE is once again a need with the failed Bennett experiment.

I'm ok with a Jones/Williams committee at RB going forward. As much as a guy like Le'Veon Bell would be awesome, we have too many needs elsewhere to invest big money or more picks to upgrade from Jones/Williams.

We may not be able to count on Bulaga moving forward, and if not, Spriggs is a pretty low end option at tackle. I assume Linsley will be re-signed but C is also a need if he is not.

It's hard to even pin down our needs on defense, trying to separate where the deficiencies spring from talent or scheme. I would have thought we were pretty set at safety coming into this year but they sure were a disaster this season. With Randall having a nice year, Jones having talent and King back next year we don't seem to have as pressing of a need at corner as we did coming into this year. Yet despite all this the secondary continues to be a problem.

Daniels and Clark appear to make up 2/3 of a pretty good base D-line, yet, recurring theme here, the production doesn't match the talent.

Martinez is a nice ILB but could use a coverage ILB to complement him.

The only clear need on defense is a need for a much improved pass rush to come from somewhere.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always hated people saying a season is over before Black Monday. It is not over until the after last game has been played on New Year's Eve. There is no reason to say otherwise. Being out of playoff contention just means it will end before the calendar turns to 2018.

Both remaining games are against the NFCN teams that beat us, so we have a little revenge to play for - especially this week because our offensive struggles since Week 6 were indirectlycaused by Anthony Barr. We also want to end the year on a high note whether Aaron Rodgers plays or not. Do you not want the Packers to close out the season with a win?

I understand this sentiment before a team is mathematically eliminated, but why bother at this point? Both teams we're playing will make the playoffs anyway and winning just pushes us further back in the draft. We constantly suffer from having late picks and I don't agree with tanking before being eliminated, but once you are, why handicap yourself for the future?

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand this sentiment before a team is mathematically eliminated, but why bother at this point? Both teams we're playing will make the playoffs anyway and winning just pushes us further back in the draft. We constantly suffer from having late picks and I don't agree with tanking before being eliminated, but once you are, why handicap yourself for the future?

The point is don't think the only reason to win is get in the playoffs. Teams want to win no matter what. Losing the last two games would serve no purpose because regardless of what we do, our draft picks will be determined by many other teams. Thee's no logic in tanking for higher picks - ever. And Detroit is not going to the playoffs.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I want to see TT, MM and Dom signed to 15 year extensions just to see heads explode LOL. Then I want to see Dom let go. We've pretty much changed over our defensive personnel and still we have the same blown assignments. Do we have guys that can play? I think we do, but i guess it's hard to tell. I think another ILB to go with Martinez would be good, another DB, definitely pass rusher, but there were too many times where they actually looked pretty decent and it was all taken away by someone yet again left wide open. If that's the defensive call, well we need a new caller. If it's confusion, then we need new teachers and if it turns out they really aren't good enough to play defense then we need a new guy picking them. The problem is, that won't be figured out in 2 weeks

"2 weeks"? This has been going on for years and we top it all off this year to have the worst red zone defense. The worst opening drive defense and the worst 3rd down defense in the league despite TT pumping in another year of high draft picks into the scheme.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when this league becomes about playing for playoffs or playing for draft picks, I am done. Thankfully not many guys with that type of mentality ever make it to the football field in the NFL, their talent was wasted long ago with their crappy attitude. A few guys are talented enough, like Marty B., but what saves the league from becoming the NBA is so far, it takes a lot of desire and will to work hard every opportunity you get, which means the majority of the players would line up up a chance to beat the guy across from them just because they got the chance, regardless of what came next.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is don't think the only reason to win is get in the playoffs. Teams want to win no matter what. Losing the last two games would serve no purpose because regardless of what we do, our draft picks will be determined by many other teams. Thee's no logic in tanking for higher picks - ever. And Detroit is not going to the playoffs.

Of course losing the last 2 games serves a purpose. Yes, the draft order is determined by many teams, but it's obviously also determined by our own record. Right now we'd pick 16th. If we win our last two, we'll pick 19th or 20th. If we lose them, probably around 12th. Certainly there's potential for talent differential between the 12th and 20th picks.

With that said, will I root for the Packers to beat the Vikings and Lions? Yes. Will I be disappointed and emotionally invested in a loss the way I am when the games matter? No, not one bit.

Worse than draft position I'd hate to see the organization somehow spin 9-7 into a positive and use it to justify the status quo remaining the same going into next season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
when this league becomes about playing for playoffs or playing for draft picks, I am done. Thankfully not many guys with that type of mentality ever make it to the football field in the NFL, their talent was wasted long ago with their crappy attitude. A few guys are talented enough, like Marty B., but what saves the league from becoming the NBA is so far, it takes a lot of desire and will to work hard every opportunity you get, which means the majority of the players would line up up a chance to beat the guy across from them just because they got the chance, regardless of what came next.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM fires Capers, defenses improves slightly but MM screws up the offense some more (how quickly we forget how terrible the offense was in the first half of the Falcons playoff game last year) and the Packers STILL don't make the Super Bowl. But, because Rodgers provides cover fire for MM, everyone blames the new DC but gives him time because he's new to the team and he "doesn't have the players he wants yet for his defense"...MM is the luckiest coach in the NFL. Never on the hot seat because his QBs have been great.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course losing the last 2 games serves a purpose. Yes, the draft order is determined by many teams, but it's obviously also determined by our own record. Right now we'd pick 16th. If we win our last two, we'll pick 19th or 20th. If we lose them, probably around 12th. Certainly there's potential for talent differential between the 12th and 20th picks.

With that said, will I root for the Packers to beat the Vikings and Lions? Yes. Will I be disappointed and emotionally invested in a loss the way I am when the games matter? No, not one bit.

Worse than draft position I'd hate to see the organization somehow spin 9-7 into a positive and use it to justify the status quo remaining the same going into next season.

If you want the Packers to win, you must be upset and disappointed when they lose. You can't have it both ways.

Finishing with a 9-7 record boosts are morale. We want to go into the offseason with a win, knowing we gave it our best shot and did not give up in Detroit.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2017 is another wasted year of Rodgers dwindling career. Everything the Packers now do should be with the 2018 season in mind. While they should play hard to win, they should give their young players more reps such as Montravius and Davis. The Packers need to make major changes and in order to do so wisely, they need to evaluate their roster.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the Super Bowl win McCarthy is 5-6 in the playoffs and 0-2 in the NFCC, one an epic collapse and one an extreme blowout. All I need to know.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No fan should call for intentional tanking of season....no matter the benefits. It's not sporting and would be a black mark on the reputation of the franchise. Being a top club is as important as having a top team, if not more.

What now? Hmmm

Watch Packers.
Pray that Pats season deflate like the footballs they throw.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want the Packers to win, you must be upset and disappointed when they lose. You can't have it both ways.

Finishing with a 9-7 record boosts are morale. We want to go into the offseason with a win, knowing we gave it our best shot and did not give up in Detroit.

Yes, you can have it both ways. You can cheer for your team while also having some perspective and realizing that winning these games means essentially nothing. I cheer for my son's youth basketball team to win -- it doesn't mean I have to be upset or disappointed if they don't, and I'm not. Do you get upset and disappointed when the Packers lose pre-season games? Because -- for all intents and purposes, these are pre-season games. The Packers are appropriately treating it as such. Do you really think that Rodgers' availibility for this week would be even remotely in question if they had something to play for? It wouldn't be. I'm sure they'll try hard and individually give effort, and I wouldn't want it any other way. But the end W/L result means nothing other than playing spoiler.

Morale for a non-playoff qualifier means nothing considering we're just playing out the string and a lot of these guys won't even be here next year. The morale they have entering next year won't differ one iota based on whether they go 9-7 or 7-9.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yes, you can have it both ways. You can cheer for your team while also having some perspective and realizing that winning these games means essentially nothing. I cheer for my son's youth basketball team to win -- it doesn't mean I have to be upset or disappointed if they don't, and I'm not. Do you get upset and disappointed when the Packers lose pre-season games? Because -- for all intents and purposes, these are pre-season games. The Packers are appropriately treating it as such. Do you really think that Rodgers' availibility for this week would be even remotely in question if they had something to play for? It wouldn't be. I'm sure they'll try hard and individually give effort, and I wouldn't want it any other way. But the end W/L result means nothing other than playing spoiler.

Morale for a non-playoff qualifier means nothing considering we're just playing out the string and a lot of these guys won't even be here next year. The morale they have entering next year won't differ one iota based on whether they go 9-7 or 7-9.

It's been 9 years since fans have been in this situation so maybe it hasn't set in yet with some.

The reality is if they keep Thompson and Capers around there could be more seasons of this coming.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Couldn't find an agree/disagree thingy, so...

I don't agree that you can cheer for a win and then not be disappointed if it doesn't happen. From my POV, if one cheers, they are emotionally involved, so defeat should matter. Treating the games as pre-season means I, personally, wouldn't be disappointed because I would have been watching individual performances, not final score. Because of the bold, I disagree with that sentence - as was the case for the 1/4 century before Favre, playing spoiler now definitely does count.

Certainly concur that AR would be playing if there was a chance for the playoffs, that the individuals will probably play hard (although, for some, it will be because it affects their future bottom line), and that morale starting the 2018 season won't be determined by these last two games.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't see what all the fuss is about in getting a 2nd place trophy instead of a 3rd place trophy. Expectations should have obviously changed by now.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't find an agree/disagree thingy, so...

I don't agree that you can cheer for a win and then not be disappointed if it doesn't happen. From my POV, if one cheers, they are emotionally involved, so defeat should matter. Treating the games as pre-season means I, personally, wouldn't be disappointed because I would have been watching individual performances, not final score. Because of the bold, I disagree with that sentence - as was the case for the 1/4 century before Favre, playing spoiler now definitely does count.

Certainly concur that AR would be playing if there was a chance for the playoffs, that the individuals will probably play hard (although, for some, it will be because it affects their future bottom line), and that morale starting the 2018 season won't be determined by these last two games.

I will be watching this the same way I watch a pre-season game. Cheering for individual performances, not necessarily a win. I realize the 2 usually go hand in hand....

For example if we lose both of our last 2 games 38-35 but Hundley goes for 8 TDs and 0 INTs, that could be a very good thing for us. Some team might think, "Hey, that guy has figured it out and we want him to be our franchise QB."

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wholeheartedly agree. If it didn't come across that way, it's what I intended my post to mean.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see what all the fuss is about in getting a 2nd place trophy instead of a 3rd place trophy. Expectations should have obviously changed by now.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. A little more explanation, and we can discuss. I didn't see anything that would imply anyone is concerned about anything other than that the Pack is done after their 16th game this year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been 9 years since fans have been in this situation so maybe it hasn't set in yet with some.

The reality is if they keep Thompson and Capers around there could be more seasons of this coming.

Just curious, why does MM get a pass from you?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not sure what this is supposed to mean. A little more explanation, and we can discuss. I didn't see anything that would imply anyone is concerned about anything other than that the Pack is done after their 16th game this year.

Just sayin I don't think it is of all that importance we win or lose right now. Sure it would be nice to win last two games but I think playing the younger guys and the back end of roster to have more importance right now. Of course the young guys should play to win but it's the younger guys that should be doing that at this stage. Maybe we find a diamond in the ruff with a guy like Michael Clark just for example.

We've had season after season and the last 14-15 weeks to see what we have with top half of roster and its extremely flawed. The defensive scheme is flawed and the coaching on that side of the ball as well. What more is two more games of mediocrity gonna prove anyways?

It's over.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just sayin I don't think it is of all that importance we win or lose right now. Sure it would be nice to win last two games but I think playing the younger guys and the back end of roster to have more importance right now. Of course the young guys should play to win but it's the younger guys that should be doing that at this stage. Maybe we find a diamond in the rough with a guy like Michael Clark just for example.

We've had season after season and the last 14-15 weeks to see what we have with top half of roster and its extremely flawed. The defensive scheme is flawed and the coaching on that side of the ball as well. What more is two more games of mediocrity gonna prove anyways?

It's over.

It is not over. The regular season is not preseason. If you want the Packers to win, you will hate seeing Green Bay lose either of the last two games. It is one thing to like seeing the young guys play but treating two regular season games as preseason games is stupid. Team only play to win.

Members online

Latest posts