Sam Shields: Will we lose him?

Will we lose Shields or will TT give Shields the huge payday SOMEONE is going to throw at him?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, we all WANT to keep Sam Shields.
He's our best cover corner, and he's still young.
He's been a bargain since he went undrafted and Teddy brought him in here in 2010.
Those were 4 very cheap years for how good he was.

He mad a lot of big plays, from his rookie season when he picked off Michael Vick to save that first playoff game vs Philly, to the NFC Title game pick vs the Bears that booked our ticket to the Super Bowl.

This year, he started the miracle turn-around in the Dallas game with a sensational, athletic, great hands-pick of Romo.

Now of course we all WANT him back.
But he's going to cost a LOT of money. A lot.
7, 8, 9 million a year probably.
All it takes is one team to throw an inflated-offer at him and we could lose him.

With that savings, Teddy could keep 3 guys like a James Jones, Johnny Jolly, and a Mike Neal.
Plus next year Jordy's bargain contract is up, and so will Randall Cobb's be.

Or he can use some of that $8 million and add a veteran safety, LB, and draft another CB.

The CB's on this team are not bad.
Tramon, Hayward, House, Hyde.

See a few of these reasons why Shields is too valuable to let go HERE.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Will we lose him? Maybe but I hope not.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a keeper. We are not deep in corners. Tramon Williams will not be a long time Packer, not due to roster costs...but his inability to make plays all season. If we lose a James Jones, that is not nearly as big a loss.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we can keep him but if we don't I trust that TT knows whats best for this team.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we can keep him but if we don't I trust that TT knows whats best for this team.
I'm already prepping myself for the disappointment of losing Sam, by finding the bright sides to not spending that much $$ on one guy.
Still hope to keep Sam because we got some good and tall WR's in our division to contend with.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why so gloomy?? He could always Franchise TAG the guy and have him for at least one more year right?? If you are content with what's on the roster as far as safety then you take Darquez Dennard cb from MSU or Justin Gilbert cb Ok.St in the 1st and maybe a safety in the 2nd. If Gilbert or Dennard works out then Sam Sheilds walks but at least you have a viable replacement with some experience if it's not Hyde, House, or Hayward already.

fritothedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a recent Oklahoma State grad I hope Gilbert comes to GB. After a disappointing 2012 season he came on again in 2013. My guess is he won't be available by our first pick.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he stays but I can see some team overpaying for him. The pack only seems to overpay for run-of-the-mill MLBs.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why so gloomy??

He could always Franchise TAG the guy and have him for at least one more year right?? ....... if it's not Hyde, House, or Hayward already.
I'm not gloomy over this, just think it's about a 50-50 prop here.

Franchise # will be waaay too high for a CB. TT I cannot imagine would go that route at all.

Besides Tramon, and the H guys Hyde, Hayward, House, the Packers have a couple of other young CB's they seem high on.

James Nixon, another pure burner like Shields.
Also, Antonio Dennard.

I think Teddy must be fairly comfortable with his depth at CB. Remember, they were without Casey all year basically.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why so gloomy?? He could always Franchise TAG the guy and have him for at least one more year right?? If you are content with what's on the roster as far as safety then you take Darquez Dennard cb from MSU or Justin Gilbert cb Ok.St in the 1st and maybe a safety in the 2nd. If Gilbert or Dennard works out then Sam Sheilds walks but at least you have a viable replacement with some experience if it's not Hyde, House, or Hayward already.

You want to pay shields 10 mil for one year?

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if Shields is ready to move on regardless of the contract we offer. Young, soon to be rich and originally from S. Florida. Already has a Super Bowl ring. He might be ready for a change of scenery to a warmer and more metropolitan area of the country.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers need to sing Shields, he is one of the few play makers we have on denfese, giving Raji 8m and letting Shields walk is crazy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers' problem is defense. Losing one of your better defenders to free agency is a huge blow for the competitiveness of the team. It just opens up ANOTHER spot on defense that needs to be filled, not to mention that it takes away pretty much all your leverage for getting Williams to take a pay cut.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if Shields is ready to move on regardless of the contract we offer. Young, soon to be rich and originally from S. Florida. Already has a Super Bowl ring. He might be ready for a change of scenery to a warmer and more metropolitan area of the country.
Ouch!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that too...... and still worry about that..... but remember that tattoo his got?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry that he is soft. If he is soft when he is not getting paid then I am scared of what he might do or really not do when he already paid. I just have a hunch he is not the toughest guy around. Obviously there is no proof of this but its just a hunch.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry that he is soft. If he is soft when he is not getting paid then I am scared of what he might do or really not do when he already paid. I just have a hunch he is not the toughest guy around. Obviously there is no proof of this but its just a hunch.
House? Not tough.
Tramon? Also wirey.
None of these guys are physical.

They aren't the Legion of Doom we see in Seattle for sure.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a keeper. We are not deep in corners. Tramon Williams will not be a long time Packer, not due to roster costs...but his inability to make plays all season. If we lose a James Jones, that is not nearly as big a loss.

Actually no one in pass coverage this year was really that spectacular including shields and yes we are very deep at CB as of now Williams, Hyde, Rolle, Heyward, House, Nixon, and Dennard So for CB we won't be hurting and honestly Williams did pick his game up when Rodgers was down although he gave up just as many plays as he stopped.
Also losing a receiver who on 97 targets has 3 drops (James Jones) an is only one year removed from leading the league in touchdowns who doesn't ask for top dollar, not resigning him would be the biggest mistake we could make.

Last edited:

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make a note: we will lose both sheilds and J. Jones..... just watch. Money talks

We don't have to lose either picket won't be back who ties up a lot of cap space and expect Williams to restructure his deal to remain in Green Bay, JJ isn't gonna command top dollar he would rather remain a packer over a payday.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have approximately $28 million of cap space available, but a lot of free agents to sign. It will be tough to re-sign Shields if TT won´t be able to restructure Tramon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts