Saints look scary good

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay's problems are easier to fix than Minnesota's. You can find some schlubs to pass protect, but you cannot easily infuse (2) new safeties and a new D-coordinator very easily.

Again, I've watched ALL Minnesota games and while Winfield was out a half last week, the defense still was giving up 250-350 yards thru the air - making guys like Shaun Hill look like Petyon Manning. So, it obviously isn't Winfield and don't believe it is Griffin. I would have to assume the issues are at the safety position, and to a lesser extent the linebacking position and to some extent the defensive scheme.

OP
OP
S

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benny sapp was also out which also hurt them. Brett Favre was destroying the Packers secondary and according to PackersRS guy and brian Billick the packers have the best secondary in the league. Favre threw 1 pass in the 4th qtr of that game and still had 271 yards. Brett could of easily had 400 yards if they wouldn't of put in the chilly ball. Until that last pass in the 4th Brett was hitting 81% against them so to say it wasn't there in the 4th qtr is a stretch. The Vikings were up by 16 with alittle over 3 minutes to go so really the game was not as close as it should of been. Bad coaching

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benny sapp was also out which also hurt them. Brett Favre was destroying the Packers secondary and according to PackersRS guy and brian Billick the packers have the best secondary in the league. Favre threw 1 pass in the 4th qtr of that game and still had 271 yards. Brett could of easily had 400 yards if they wouldn't of put in the chilly ball. Until that last pass in the 4th Brett was hitting 81% against them so to say it wasn't there in the 4th qtr is a stretch. The Vikings were up by 16 with alittle over 3 minutes to go so really the game was not as close as it should of been. Bad coaching
Wasn't as close as it should've been? We fumbled and threw an int in your redzone. And the game ended by a 7 point margin. You played better than us, but to say it shouldn't have been a close game is a lot of BS.

OP
OP
S

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't as close as it should've been? We fumbled and threw an int in your redzone. And the game ended by a 7 point margin. You played better than us, but to say it shouldn't have been a close game is a lot of BS.
Everybody else in America saw you get beat up except in Wisconsin. OK we got you. Favre could of kept carving up your "best secondary in the league" The game was over at halftime. Come on one of your TD's was a strip for a TD that was a good play but very rare. You were down by 16 with 3 1/2 minutes to go and tried 2 onside kicks and favre was not running his offense in the 4th. I doubt too many educated football fans felt like the Packers were right there.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Everybody else in America saw you get beat up except in Wisconsin. OK we got you. Favre could of kept carving up your "best secondary in the league" The game was over at halftime. Come on one of your TD's was a strip for a TD that was a good play but very rare. You were down by 16 with 3 1/2 minutes to go and tried 2 onside kicks and favre was not running his offense in the 4th. I doubt too many educated football fans felt like the Packers were right there.

I could understand your point..

But 2 times now you seen this happen, big lead then almost blow it in the 4th

1 time is a fluke, 2 times something is probably going on..

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with writers like this guy is that they're never ultimately accurate in their prognostications because they're always a year behind the curve.

The Vikings' defensive line is nowhere near as dominant as they were, at least in the run-stopping department. Their pass rush can be neutralized effectively, as Baltimore proved repeatedly last Sunday. The pass defense is abysmal. It may be their blitzing too much, or they lack talent or the DC is an idiot - not sure yet.

The offense, however, is very respectable, accept a surprisingly weak running game. Take away AP's one big run each game and you've got a very bad YPC average. It could be AP not being patient. It could be AP not bouncing it outside often enough. Or, it could be (2) new O-lineman that have a lot of homework to do.

So, the only reason I can think of at this point to claim Minnesota the #1 team in the NFC is that they are a game better than New Orleans. New Orleans can be beaten, but it is going to be done EXACTLY with the blueprint that the Giants used to strangle New England - a FEROCIOUS pass rush (not a ferocious pass rush against teams with weak O-lines) and slow, plodding drives on offense that take 8 to 10 minutes off the clock and result in touchdowns - not field goals.

I dont agree with everything the writer says. But I do think he has a couple of valid points. I would give the edge to NO right now, but I dont think the gap is as big as some say it is

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont agree with everything the writer says. But I do think he has a couple of valid points. I would give the edge to NO right now, but I dont think the gap is as big as some say it is

I think the gap is significant and here's why: Imagine the Saints facing the Vikings. Couple the solid Saints line neutralizing the front four's rush with horrible safety play from Minny and you've got a recipe for multiple quick scores.

I think it is common knowledge, the Vikings' offense is predicated on slow, prodding, time-consuming drives, with occasional big plays sprinkled in. I don't believe Minnesota has the offensive arsenal to match New Orleans, and if the front four of Minny cannot consistently pressure Brees without the help of blitzers, he'll eat the porous Minnesota secondary alive.

I think a good measure of how the game would unfold is a Colts/Packers game of several years ago at Indy. Indy would score quick, Favre would match with a TD to Walker. Indy would score again, Favre would dial one in to Driver for a matching quick-strike. Indy got the ball and scored again, and on the third Green Bay drive, they just ran outta mojo - the honest truth was that Indy was simply a dominant, uncontainable offense. This is how I see Minny and New Orleans' offense stacking up against each other.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I think the gap is significant and here's why: Imagine the Saints facing the Vikings. Couple the solid Saints line neutralizing the front four's rush with horrible safety play from Minny and you've got a recipe for multiple quick scores.
(...)

Personally, I don't think the gap between the two teams is as large as many other may think ... - Stat's don't tell it all - never do, never will, and as all numbers are open for alot of interpretation ... We only need to look back about 7 weeks and most predictions have already been proven wrong ...

The Saints have yet to face an offense like the Vikings currently ... Granted the Saints blew out Giants, however ... That doesn't necessarily mean much ... - I remember Green Bay winning against the Giants in 2007, only to lose in OT to the same team in the Play Offs ... Giants won the SB that year ..

(...) I think it is common knowledge, the Vikings' offense is predicated on slow, prodding, time-consuming drives, with occasional big plays sprinkled in. I don't believe Minnesota has the offensive arsenal to match New Orleans, and if the front four of Minny cannot consistently pressure Brees without the help of blitzers, he'll eat the porous Minnesota secondary alive.
(...)

Again I would say that the opposite is ringing true this season (so far) ... The Vikings probably have the most "balanced" offense right now of any team ... Even compared to the Saints ... And unfortunately we won't be seeing the Saints versus the Vikings, barring a SB ... - And I have a feeling that the Saints won't make it to the SB ... In fact, I think the Vikings will end with a better "end" placement than the Saints ...

(...) I think a good measure of how the game would unfold is a Colts/Packers game of several years ago at Indy. Indy would score quick, Favre would match with a TD to Walker. Indy would score again, Favre would dial one in to Driver for a matching quick-strike. Indy got the ball and scored again, and on the third Green Bay drive, they just ran outta mojo - they weren't an offense built with so much passing firepower.
(...)

Hard to compare the two really ... - Currently the Vikings are almost "putting" points whenever they "feel like it" (if you understand what I mean ?). Teams are forced to "stack the box" still ... and just because AP doesn't get 100+ yards every game, does not mean that AP is "shut out" ... The fact that no team can "ignore" stacking the box against the Vikings makes them quite dangerous, and so far with #4 under center, Vikings have proven most critics wrong - in 6 games ...

Alot of people were saying the Ravens were the first test of (many) that the Vikings would be facing, and now that the Ravens lost, suddenly the Ravens are not that "great" of a team ? ... I would beg the differ ... and when or if (yes I think the Vikings will win against the Steelers, - their chances are greater than losing atm I think, because the Steelers defense is far from "clicking" atm ...) the Vikings win against the Steelers, I am betting that alot of experts will just say that the Steelers aren't as great as a team as last year (which I agree they are not, yet ...) ...

End result remain ... the Vikings are 6-0 and even with losing to the Steelers it won't mean much, as it's an "out of conference" game and also on the road ...

OP
OP
S

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lot of football left yet. Who is healthy come playoff time could dictate and The giants who got whipped could be differant monster come playoff time. Atlanta looks solid and I wouldn't count out the bears. The pack could get right back in the thick of things as well. NO does look unstoppable but it is early. The vikings run defense should get back to the same as last year with some changes. Right now I predict NO and Indy for the big show

OP
OP
S

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP doesn't have to gain a yard and still he will get all kinds of attention. Just putting him on the field dictates play. He can hit a home run at anytime so if anybody thinks the respect level for All-Day is diminished by his lack of 100 yard games is foolish.

OP
OP
S

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the gap between the two teams is as large as many other may think ... - Stat's don't tell it all - never do, never will, and as all numbers are open for alot of interpretation ... We only need to look back about 7 weeks and most predictions have already been proven wrong ...

The Saints have yet to face an offense like the Vikings currently ... Granted the Saints blew out Giants, however ... That doesn't necessarily mean much ... - I remember Green Bay winning against the Giants in 2007, only to lose in OT to the same team in the Play Offs ... Giants won the SB that year ..

Again I would say that the opposite is ringing true this season (so far) ... The Vikings probably have the most "balanced" offense right now of any team ... Even compared to the Saints ... And unfortunately we won't be seeing the Saints versus the Vikings, barring a SB ... - And I have a feeling that the Saints won't make it to the SB ... In fact, I think the Vikings will end with a better "end" placement than the Saints ...

Hard to compare the two really ... - Currently the Vikings are almost "putting" points whenever they "feel like it" (if you understand what I mean ?). Teams are forced to "stack the box" still ... and just because AP doesn't get 100+ yards every game, does not mean that AP is "shut out" ... The fact that no team can "ignore" stacking the box against the Vikings makes them quite dangerous, and so far with #4 under center, Vikings have proven most critics wrong - in 6 games ...

Alot of people were saying the Ravens were the first test of (many) that the Vikings would be facing, and now that the Ravens lost, suddenly the Ravens are not that "great" of a team ? ... I would beg the differ ... and when or if (yes I think the Vikings will win against the Steelers, - their chances are greater than losing atm I think, because the Steelers defense is far from "clicking" atm ...) the Vikings win against the Steelers, I am betting that alot of experts will just say that the Steelers aren't as great as a team as last year (which I agree they are not, yet ...) ...

End result remain ... the Vikings are 6-0 and even with losing to the Steelers it won't mean much, as it's an "out of conference" game and also on the road ...
Skip Bayless says the Vikings don't match up with steelers and they wouldn't beat the ravens so I say as long as Bayless picks against them I like the vikings chances. That pencil neck geek always picks against the Vikes so I hope he never jumps on the purple bandwagon!:happy0005:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts