Ryan Grant vs. Brandon Jackson

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant: 55 Carries, 186 Yards, 3.4 Yards Per Carry, and 0 Touchdowns
Brandon Jackson: 18 Carries, 93 Yards, 5.2 Yards Per Carry, 1 Touchdown

Ryan Grant is playing like absolute crap, I am not saying he is not going to change but right now you have to put the best RB on the field. We cannot establish any running game even on teams like the Lions. I think that at the moment this overpaid Gado-Grant is looking like a bust as the weeks roll on. Now its possibly the hamstring or something else, but all I can speak for is the fact that Grant is playing worse than Brandon Jackson. MM needs to put the best RB on the field and right now it is clear that Grant does not deserve the start. Until Grant shows he can hold on to the football and not put our team in holes I do not want to see him on the field. You can blame our losses on the whole team but the game is won by making the opponent guess. When you don't make opponents guess what type of play you are going to run then you lose. Michael Turner of the Atlanta Falcons played the same Detroit defense and had more rushing yards in that single game than Ryan Grant has had all season. By all means I am not calling Brandon Jackson the savior here, but he will produce more than Ryan Grant at the moment. In the end, im sick of losing 2 straight games, and I want to get this team balanced so we can win more. Jackson may not be good at all, but he at least can get SOME yards which will help more than the player who suddenly cant cut to wide open holes (way to go Goose).

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I wish you could get the team balanced but unfortunately for you and us your not the coach so lol not much you can do. I'm sure we will turn this thing around it's not that bad yet were still 2-2. However I do believe we need to change the playbook up some and mix it up better and to do that we have to be able to rush. right now were so predictable and we do these shotgun empty back sets and they are not working because rodgers gets killed. put a back, back there. Also it will be nice to get Jones and Martin back on the field so we can throw some of our 5 wr sets out their.

Back the the topic tho right now I feel Brandon Jackson looks a lot better than grant. And it seems the blocking is better also when Jackson is back there. Did you see the lions game? Jackson ran better and had better blocking. had 7 carries for 61 yards and only a long of 19 which means he was consistantly getting good runs. grant in that game had 15 carries for 20 yards which is the exact same stats as this past week against the Bucs. 15 for 20. I don't think grant is having good reads right now. I know we all saw in the Bucs game when goose pointed out that cutback lane grant had on 3rd down that he totally missed.

b_mckendry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The running game has not taken off yet but it will. Ryan Grant just needs to recognize the hole and then hit it. We have to remember that Grant has been practically out for all pre-season stuff. Brandon Jackson is reliable back for those long runs that he always produces. Honestly I would like to see MM utilize Kregg Lumpkin a little more. I really like this kid and I think eventually once he gets healthy that he could be a successor to Grant someday. We all need to keep an eye on him because I believe that he is promising. He showed us signs and many good things in pre-seaon.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus our O line that we had last year is finally back together. Hopefully they'll be better as a unit this week and show improvement each Sunday. Isn't it true that O lines need time together before they jell? Didn't it take a couple of weeks before Grant began to run wild?

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger I think that's just an excuse. The O-line can be blamed for the vast majority of our problems running the ball, as well as Rodgers taking so many hits. We have to protect Rodgers, or there really is no point in putting our best team out there.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been saying it for weeks, I said it in the packerslounge.com podcast last week. We have been listening to McCarthy laud Jackson since the off-season. Is he wrong, was he lying.

If you are going to hype a guy, let's see him. Your other plan isn't working.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax, if your O line isn't playing well then you can't do much of anything offensively, can you? It isn't really an excuse. Its a fact. Games are won in the trenches. If your O line can't block (and your D line can't pressure the QB or tackle) you're gonna lose no matter who your QB/RB is. ;(

OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I think MM has a hard time pulling someone like Grant but I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Why would you keep the guy who is producing on the bench? Jackson was looking good the carries he got. This so called "Power Runner" in Grant is not fitting in well right now and If Grant has a hard time with Atlanta's defense, I will want to see Jackson.

LostnSpace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at Ryan Grant this season it is very obvious that his "Holdout" has hurt his performance. It is true that the line isn't playing the same as last season but when Ryan get's his chances he has to get the ball hit the hole and run. He isn't the same as last season at this point of the year. But hopefully he will get there and some of the walking wounded will get healed up and start to perform better. Jackson has appeared to hit the holes quickly and he should get the majority of the snaps until Ryan Grant proves that he is healthy and up to the task.

Chris

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont understand why he looked like the RG from last year when we played the best Rush D from last year.. but when we played the ***** he got 20 yards off 15 carries.. I was thinkin it had to be poor oline play but in detroit Jackson was pickin up some chunks of yards while grant was gettin pounded at the line of scrimmage.. yo soy confuso

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson got most his yards against Detroit, come on. However, I would like to see him and Lumpkin in the game more than RG till Grant finally hits his stride again. The other two are ready, he is not. Seems sensible to at least give Jackson and Lumpkin a shot? They have looked ok then they were in (crappy defenses aside).

Oh yea, the O Line sucks too, for good measure :(

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dansz15 said:
Jackson got most his yards against Detroit, come on. However, I would like to see him and Lumpkin in the game more than RG till Grant finally hits his stride again. The other two are ready, he is not. Seems sensible to at least give Jackson and Lumpkin a shot? They have looked ok then they were in (crappy defenses aside).

Oh yea, the O Line sucks too, for good measure :(
Yeah jackson got most his yards in that game ( avg 8 yards a carry ) while grant was facing the same defense and averaging 1.3 yards a carry in that game, Im not sayin grant is gado... yet, but he better pick it up.. same goes to the Oline

I agree we should give lumpkin some more reps, considerin hes averaging 19 yards a carry this year :clap:

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there 2 different backs .... most people know Grant is a down hill runner ,,, right so why do we keep running him off the sides .. Grant cant do it .... every time we try he getts mugged in the back field ... even with the crap o line Jackson seems to be able to bend the corners on these plays ... if MM was paying attention he would know this ,,, he must be thinking about somthing else .... so i may be crazy but why arent we using Grant for the plays up the middle and Jackson for the plays off the sides ???

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger said:
Veretax, if your O line isn't playing well then you can't do much of anything offensively, can you? It isn't really an excuse. Its a fact. Games are won in the trenches. If your O line can't block (and your D line can't pressure the QB or tackle) you're gonna lose no matter who your QB/RB is. ;(

Oh I agree, that's what i've been saying, the O-line has been crap the last two weeks. As another guy here just said, Grant is a Down hill runner, its no surprise he's struggling. I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. I'm saying the excuse that they need time to Gel. I don't by that. If these are our best O-lineman then they should be blocking a heck of a lot better then they are. I believe the O-line needs to step up if we are going to win the Division this year, period.

TheHawkIsHowling

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Grant has another performance like the performace last weekend (basically costing us the game) then I definitely think it's time for a change. Grant and the O-line need to step up big time against the Falcons. I want to see 125 yards rushing from Grant this weekend. We need to get it going already.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aa-rodg_is_cool said:
I agree we should give lumpkin some more reps, considerin hes averaging 19 yards a carry this year :clap:

Haha, I agree completely! Only a few people have said give him a few more reps. Lets see what the guy can do! With the Packers rushing attack, I don't see the harm in trying someone different, ha.

OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Lumpkin is hurt though. I still think, going into Atlanta Jackson should start and have Grant come in for a play or 2 every drive. You give the job to the people who are motivated and producing, Grant is not and its hurting the team. If Grant starts this week I will be very disappointed in the coaching staff.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:
Pugger said:

Oh I agree, that's what i've been saying, the O-line has been crap the last two weeks. As another guy here just said, Grant is a Down hill runner, its no surprise he's struggling. I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. I'm saying the excuse that they need time to Gel. I don't by that. If these are our best O-lineman then they should be blocking a heck of a lot better then they are. I believe the O-line needs to step up if we are going to win the Division this year, period.

I see what you're saying. :) I thought I read or heard somewhere that offensive lines play better when they're together as a unit. Look how bad Indy's line is without Saturday. Oh well...I guess I'm praying the guys will play better this week (they couldn't play much worse, could they? :p ).

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) MM is telegraphing his plays with his formations. Against DAL GB was down 20-9, had a 3rd & 2 around mid-field & MM's formation is empty backfield, shotgun & 4 WR. DD was blanketed & dropped a 5-yard pass.

2) Is anybody else seeing opposing Ds stacking the LOS & daring Rodgers to get the pass off in time? 7 or 8 in the box by the Ds is why the RBs have precious few running lanes opening up. MM's play-calling needs to exploit this by having Rodgers ready to audible. Rodgers needs to command this offense, not just run it. He's got to grow up fast with games against SEA, IND & TEN coming up.

3) The only thing that bothers me about Jackson is he ruins every attempted screen pass. He doesn't have the proper technique mastered yet. Actually MM's screen's are never called in the right situations. When executed properly the D looks like a jailbreak, the QB is back-pedaling & the RB holds his (attempted) block until the last second & then peeks over his shoulder to receive the lob from the QB.

I can't recall the last successful screen pass GB has had. With all the talent at WR & MM's proclivity to line up 2 or 3 WRs to the strong side, a WR screen would probably work.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hand off to Jackson and throw it to Grant. If you're going to hype Jackson all off-season you better hand him the rock.

Starting to get sickening.

Members online

Latest posts