1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

RUMOR: Eagles offer up for Javon Walker

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HatestheEagles084, Mar 13, 2006.

1. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    yeah, I say get him out of here--a team in transition doesnt need players talking like this. The reciever market is not that great this year, lets see if we can get a nice draft pick or player for walker

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    My question is......how much money is enough??? It was enough when he signed the contract saying he AGREED (GREED being the major part of that word) to play for X amount of dollars for X amount of years. Now, he's hurt, and might not be worth much, and he's disgruntled!?!? He should shut his BIG mouth, and PLAY out his CONTRACT. Then "IF" (and it's a BIG if) he has a GREAT year, THEN he has leverage to hold the team hostage. If i were TT, i'd NEVER trade him till next year at the earliest. If he wants to sit, let him sit and get NO money. He's talented, and i want him on the team, but NOT if he's not willing to live up to his word.

3. McMVP

McMVP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not going to disagree with that....I do feel contracts should be honored. But I also know that in today's NFL, there will always be situations like this. Walker is not the first nor the last....each team will have to put up with this crap....

4. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As a player, there are two paths to follow to your riches, each with pros/cons.

On one hand, you have the long-term deal. The benefit is that the player gets a big chunk o' change guaranteed up front. This is nice as it protects the player from financial hardship should their career be cut short due to injure. It provides financial security. That being said, it is not uncommon to have the value of the contract exceeded (in many cases by lesser players) rather quickly. Which is the crux of the Walker situation.

Now, Javon...you want to max your dollars in the league, play on a year-to-year basis, or a string of several very short deals. You are assured of getting max dollars over the duration of your contracts, providine your play warrants it. But, sadly, there will not be a big signing bonus so, if your career is shortened for any reason, there is no assurance of financial security for you and your family.

Cannot have it both ways, Javon...but, then again, you probably do not possess the mental acuity to grasp that.