Round 4 pick 108 Vince Biegel

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. To be fair Easy we have to factor in that we also lost a #1 TE, a #1 Guard, a #1 RB and a solid depth O Lineman in JC who played multiple positions pretty well. Other than us arguing Martellus being a slight upgrade, I'm not sure the trade-off of offseason acquisitions can be used to imply we somehow net improved our Offense this offseason (or even broke even) Respectfully to your reply, I would even risk saying I think our pre draft Offense may have regressed some.
As far as speculating on Offensive picks he "might" make yet this season? I can only hope you are right!

Lang was a great player but he was limited quite a bit with nagging injuries, Tretter was a loss we could suffer given that he was a backup. I do think that replacing Cook with Bennett and Kendricks will be an improvement, both are plus blockers and assuming Kendricks improves with Rodgers they could both be plus catchers as well. Not that those losses dont hurt but I think they're manageable.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Biegel is a plus athlete at the position and he's ready to play from a mental scheme standpoint. Not sure why so many pegged him as just a high motor high effort guy.

He's a white guy from the Big 10.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That wasn't the point though, was it?

My bad, I glossed over the post and didn't read it properly. However, since he was originally drafted (RD 4-COMP) by GB you could've easily added him into the mix IMO. I know a 4th isn't a first or second but still a valuable pick.

I do completely agree with you on heads needing to roll if this doesn't work. We've spent plenty of high-value picks on the secondary and hopefully this is the year it all comes together. Simple case of are we going to get what we already paid for?

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a white guy from the Big 10.
I don't see the athleticism that you do.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/vince-biegel

Although he has a great 3-cone, he is average in broad jump and vertical. The 2 important factors for twitch/explosion that is important for a LB.

Take a look at Watt's measureables:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt

Significantly better in most categories.

I fear Biegel is only quick and smart and that has served him well at the college level. Without the explosion, he will be easy to block and slow to recover at the NFL level.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't see the athleticism that you do.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/vince-biegel

Although he has a great 3-cone, he is average in broad jump and vertical. The 2 important factors for twitch/explosion that is important for a LB.

Take a look at Watt's measureables:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt

Significantly better in most categories.

I fear Biegel is only quick and smart and that has served him well at the college level. Without the explosion, he will be easy to block and slow to recover at the NFL level.

You need to adjust so that it's comparing his to other edge prospects. "OLB" compares him mostly to off-ball linebackers. "EDGE" compares him to 43DE's and 34OLB's.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/vince-biegel?position=ATH

No doubt Watt is a better athlete. That's why he went higher. But the list of edge prospects with Biegel's 3C and broad numbers since 1999 only holds 16 names and they are mostly highly successful.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I posted this in the larger context of my thoughts on the draft over in my thread in the draft section, but here are the names of the drafted edge prospects since 1999 who have at least 118" in the broad and 6.92 in the 3 cone.
  • Kyle Vanden Bosch
  • David Pollack
  • J.J. Watt
  • Joey Bosa
  • Devin Taylor
  • Brian Robison
  • Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
  • Von Miller
  • Bruce Irvin
  • Barkevious Mingo
  • Demarcus Ware
  • Connor Barwin
  • Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila
  • Clay Matthews
  • Manny Lawson
  • Vic Beasley
12/16 were/are highly successful NFL players. Obviously Biegel isn't going to be JJ Watt, but the point is that these traits translate.

Above is the list of drafted edge players since 1999 that met Biegel's 3 cone and broad jump.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's interesting to compare Biegel with another OLB drafted by the Packets in the fourth round: Carl Bradford. How do they compare ? Bradford was engulfed by nfl tackles with his short arm span. While Bradford was suppossedly a high motor guy, his speed rush and lack of power didn't translate to the NFL level. I hope Biegel is way better, otherwise, he may be moved to the inside sooner than Bradford was given the boot from OLB.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biegel and Bradford have their similarities and several notable differences. At the combine Bradford was stronger 23 bench presses vs 21 for Biegel. Both had the same 20 yard shuttle time and we're nearly identical in their broad jump. Biegel is faster: he ran a 4.67 40 vs a rather slow 4.76 time for Bradford. Bradford had a higher vertical jump 37.5 inches vs 33.5 inches for Biegel.
Bradford was stronger and had more explosiveness as measured by the vertical jump but Biegel is faster and quicker as his 3 cone drill was 6.92 seconds vs 7.25 for Bradford. Finally, Biegel is 2 inches taller at 6 foot 3 and has arms that are 2 inches longer although his arm length of 32 3/8 inches is not very long by nfl standards. Is Biegel substantially superior as an athlete? The combine numbers don't point that out with the exception their 40 times.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Biegel is far better than bradford in the drill that is most predictive for success at edge, 3 cone. Bradford also had a big length problem. He was 6'1" with 30" arms. Biegel is 6'3" and his arms are 32" long. Nothing special, but the difference between below average and average is important. Lastly, Biegel's tape is better.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Biegel and Bradford have their similarities and several notable differences. At the combine Bradford was stronger 23 bench presses vs 21 for Biegel. Both had the same 20 yard shuttle time and we're nearly identical in their broad jump. Biegel is faster: he ran a 4.67 40 vs a rather slow 4.76 time for Bradford. Bradford had a higher vertical jump 37.5 inches vs 33.5 inches for Biegel.
Bradford was stronger and had more explosiveness as measured by the vertical jump but Biegel is faster and quicker as his 3 cone drill was 6.92 seconds vs 7.25 for Bradford. Finally, Biegel is 2 inches taller at 6 foot 3 and has arms that are 2 inches longer although his arm length of 32 3/8 inches is not very long by nfl standards. Is Biegel substantially superior as an athlete? The combine numbers don't point that out with the exception their 40 times.

Sorry, I repeated some of what you already said.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope Brandon is right. The last thing the Packers need is for the injury bug to take off in minicamps. Seems like injuries are contagious so pulling Biegel out of practice is the right thing to do.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Biegel had foot surgery last week to correct a Jones fracture, the same injury he suffered last season with the Badgers. The Packers hope he will be ready for training camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
But he had such a promising "3 cone". :eek:

Great. Now we got a "Glass foot" providing depth at OLB. Better get Dumervil.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well so much for him providing pass rush and helping the defense. I've got nothing against the kid, but geez now he is going to miss all of OTA's with an injury that he recovered from recently. This does not look good.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until further notice perhaps Biegel should have the nickname of "glass". He couldn't get through a single practice before he hurt his hand and now he needs another foot surgery.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they draft a guy with injury history, and he gets injured. Sounds like the defensive Abbrederis. Great pick.

Latest posts