Round 4 pick 108 Vince Biegel

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope/believe that we're set at OLB "depth" now with Biegel, Fackrell, Elliot now.... Clay and Perry are pretty mucn locked in at starters with their contracts anyways so

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so there isn't really a similarity b/c that is actually what made Matthews very, very good.... before his "Injuries" (not implying that he took anything here lol)

That's a part of what made him really good, but Biegel's own athletic ability is nothing to sneeze at.

H

HardRightEdge

On the subject of this all-defense draft, it occurs to me we could be fielding a dime backfield that looks like this:

- Randall - perimeter corner - 1st. round
- King - perimeter corner - 1st. round
- Jones - dime safety or slot corner - 2nd. round
-
Rollins - dime corner or slot corner - 2nd. round
- Clinton-Dix - FS - 1st. round
- Brunett - SS - trade up 3rd. round

Or with Burnett in the box in nickel, you get the same message.

I hope we can all agree:

If this pass defense isn't markedly improved, Capers or Thompson has gotta go. We're already past the point of accountability with respect to defensive performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the subject of this all-defense draft, it occurs to me we could be fielding a dime backfield that looks like this:

-

I hope we can all agree:

If this pass defense isn't markedly improved, Capers or Thompson has gotta go. We're already passed the point of accountability with respect to defensive performance.

I thnk you put House instead or Rollins and yea I pretty much agree here

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Not bad of a pick. I just hope these defensive picks finally pan out for once so we dont have to start the draft off of picking all defense players again in 2-3 years.

H

HardRightEdge

I thnk you put House instead or Rollins and yea I pretty much agree here
Whether you put House in the mix or not, the story is the same: historic draft capital spent on a D-backfield. I presented that particular dime combination, which is quite plausible, because if you saw that on just one play during the season it might break an NFL record of some kind.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably lol
Whether you put House in the mix or not, the story is the same: historic draft capital spent on a D-backfield. I presented that particular dime combination, which is quite plausible, because if you saw that on just one play during the season it might break an NFL record of some kind.

honestly man...

that's kind of why I was hoping we would also just get Watkins and King(the other CB- King)... you can never really tell with TT picks, but obviously I believe Kevin King will be good...

But at this rate it's almost like hopefully he just takes as many good, or "projected to be good", defensive players and like half of them work out lol because you can never tell

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Here's Biegel's spotlight tape from the LSU game last year.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vince+biegel

A couple of takeawys:

- smart, disciplined player rarely out of position
- looks like a guy who would take in Capers concepts
- not dynamic; little in the way of wow factor
- there's some play making in this tape (the tackle for loss early, the pressure than ended in an interception later in the tape)
- the play making comes out of football playing not athleticism
- he whiffed on a couple of sacks; his movement and body control does not speak "edge rusher" to me at the next level
- we don't see him playing much man defense UW's scheme; just back peddle into the zone

All in all, I see more ILB in this game than edge rush, though preseason would give us a better idea of how he covers. More a "glue player" at ILB than a playmaker. Kinda like a circa 2011 Hawk-type player before he lost all of his speed.

If Matthews-in-the-middle has mercifully drawn to a conclusion, this is a guy who would add depth to the ILB position who wouldn't hurt you if he was called upon for extended play. He might even move above Martinez, who's rookie season I found disappointing.

All in all, "good football player" if not "dynamic".

I like the that idea of him at ILB as he wouldn't have to put any additional weight on with the risk of losing some of his speed.

He had a respectable 40 and really good 3 cone.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-

Or with Burnett in the box in nickel, you get the same message.

I hope we can all agree:

If this pass defense isn't markedly improved, Capers or Thompson has gotta go. We're already passed the point of accountability with respect to defensive performance.
House will play.

H

HardRightEdge

I like the that idea of him at ILB as bhe wouldn't have to put any additional weight on with the risk of losing some of his speed.
I had that very same concern about Fackrell coming in, and still do, especially with a guy starting out at age 24.

We'll see if he's been able to add some some needed bulk and strength this offseason, and if so how it affects his quickness.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
not typically excited about these hard worker, poor athlete types
but good luck to him and hope he works out

I'd guess again on the old athleticism there Nate. Biegel has it where it matters.

Compared to other Edge prospects since 1999, his forty was in the 86th%, his vertical in the 56th%, his broad in the 69th%, his short shuttle in the 78th%, and his 3 cone (the most predictive) in the 90th%.

I think he got the reputation of being just kind of a "try hard, poor athlete" playing with bum foot. But that's hardly the case.

This was my favorite pick of the draft for GB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I had that very same concern about Fackrell coming in, and still do, especially with a guy starting out at age 24.

We'll see if he's been able to add some some needed bulk and strength this offseason, and if so how it affects his quickness.

Thankfully at 6'3", ~255 would be just right for a guy like Biegel. At 246, that's not very far away.

Reaction score
No

I posted these numbers in a few other posts.

Last 6 Packer Draft's:
  • First pick in all 6 - defense
  • 13 out of 18 of the first 3 picks - defense
  • top 2 picks in the last 2 out of 3 drafts - secondary
  • top pick in 3 out of last 4 drafts - secondary
If we don't have a top 10 defense soon from all the draft resources devoted to the defense, then how long do you let TT and Capers continue? If it wasn't for Aaron Rodgers, how would devoting the better part of your draft on the defense over 6 years make your offense look?
in the past I have been critical of TT about the Defense being heavily favored in the recent drafts and it not showing in overall production enough.
At the same time, I still felt like this year needed to be focused on the D. Especially pass D for obvious reasons.
I'm torn because we did pretty good IMO at filling some needed competition at various positions. So overall we improved on D.
I would've at least liked to seen an Offense pick sooner. I'm torn because I realize we needed every one of those Defensive picks but if we would've had one more second or third round pick at a position like RB to balance it a little I'd be more excited. Dom has had the luxury of owning the draft for too long.. imagine if all those Defensive picks would've been geared Offense. AR would be unstoppable and Dom would be sharpening his resume day to day.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in the past I have been critical of TT about the Defense being heavily favored in the recent drafts and it not showing in overall production enough.
At the same time, I still felt like this year needed to be focused on the D. Especially pass D for obvious reasons.
I'm torn because we did pretty good IMO at filling some needed competition at various positions. So overall we improved on D.
I would've at least liked to seen an Offense pick sooner. I'm torn because I realize we needed every one of those Defensive picks but if we would've had one more second or third round pick at a position like RB to balance it a little I'd be more excited. Dom has had the luxury of owning the draft for too long.. imagine if all those Defensive picks would've been geared Offense. AR would be unstoppable and Dom would be sharpening his resume day to day.

I see the issue of offense versus defense in the draft as a question of how, as in how does the team pick up talent. TT made 3 significant offensive acquisitions this offseason on the offensive side of the ball and might make one more in the post draft FA period.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we can all agree:

If this pass defense isn't markedly improved, Capers or Thompson has gotta go. We're already past the point of accountability with respect to defensive performance.
As a matter of fact, I do not agree. I would like to see Capers go no matter what. I have seen this defense under-perform for the last 6 seasons and I don't expect that to change. I have seen a dozen or so games over that span where I watch a Packer game and I think - 'great defensive game plan!'. But for the most part, I am thinking - "What the hell is Capers thinking?"

I have seen a lot more DCs doing much better with less talent. A change at DC is the best improvement we can do for this defense.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I do not agree. I would like to see Capers go no matter what. I have seen this defense under-perform for the last 6 seasons and I don't expect that to change. I have seen a dozen or so games over that span where I watch a Packer game and I think - 'great defensive game plan!'. But for the most part, I am thinking - "What the hell is Capers thinking?"

I have seen a lot more DCs doing much better with less talent. A change at DC is the best improvement we can do for this defense.

What DCs are doing more with less talent?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i bet he ends up being the jeff janis of our defense

Except Janis was nowhere near as productive as Biegel in college. Janis had nowhere near the football iq as Biegel. Janis is pretty much all athletic ability where Biegel is top end production mixed with solid athletic ability.

So they are almost the same situation. You could maybe say Abby but not janis

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except Janis was nowhere near as productive as Biegel in college. Janis had nowhere near the football iq as Biegel. Janis is pretty much all athletic ability where Biegel is top end production mixed with solid athletic ability.

So they are almost the same situation. You could maybe say Abby but not janis

Janis was insanely productive in college. Like eye popping stats. But yeah, it was a joke, not meant to be taken seriously!

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What DCs are doing more with less talent?
Dallas is the obvious one that comes to mind. Couple of years ago I think only 2 maybe 3 of their players would have started for our team. Yet the Dallas defense finished ranked higher than ours.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis was insanely productive in college. Like eye popping stats. But yeah, it was a joke, not meant to be taken seriously!

He was productive against teams like uw LA Crosse :) a little different than the big ten

I can never tell what is a joke on this board because reactions are so over the top

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was productive against teams like uw LA Crosse :) a little different than the big ten

I can never tell what is a joke on this board because reactions are so over the top

Yeah, it can be hard to tell. I hate emoticons, but I usually use them on here just to make it more obvious. Dry humor and sarcasm don't translate well to text.

Members online

Latest posts