Round 4 pick 108 Vince Biegel

H

HardRightEdge

I have yet to read anything available to make me worry about Biegel not being healthy for camp.
Me neither. But I have not heard that everything is going 100%. And even if I did, it's still a "show me" situation. Biegel said he was 100%, then he injured a hand, and the next thing we know he's getting foot surgery.

I look at this way. The duration of recovery is always stated as the best case scenario. That scenario is not revised until the very day it is determined that it will not happen.

So, there's not much point in speculating. Some bone grafts fuse the bone beautifully. Some don't. And the feet can be a tricky business.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have yet to read anything available to make me worry about Biegel not being healthy for camp.

I expect Biegel to be ready for the start of training camp as well. There's reason for concern going forward though as the careers of players that have suffered similar injuries have significantly been cut short. A link to a scientific report about it was posted earlier in this thread.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me neither. But I have not heard that everything is going 100%. And even if I did, it's still a "show me" situation. Biegel said he was 100%, then he injured a hand, and the next thing we know he's getting foot surgery.

I look at this way. The duration of recovery is always stated as the best case scenario. That scenario is not revised until the very day it is determined that it will not happen.

So, there's not much point in speculating. Some bone grafts fuse the bone beautifully. Some don't. And the feet can be a tricky business.
Thompson sends rookies with injuries to ir. I don't think biegel would beat out any of the olbs we have right now anyways. Injured or not.

Reaction score
Biegel is a solid rotational player with a high leadership aptitude and instincts for finding the ball. We are tending away from guys like Hawk who played on his heels and moving towards guys like Biegel who play on their toes.
While Watt may be a more dynamic athlete initially.. once Vince makes a full recovery he should wear better and offer more consistency. I think he's a nice pick in the mid rounds.
I also smell Janis' replacement on ST

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Biegel had major foot surgery, the Packers will likely go very slow with him and he will likely start the season on the pup list. If he has any impact this season it will be in the second half of the season. Even if he is a fast healer, I just dont see MM taking chances with him given that they wasted Montgomery's rookie season by letting him practice hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson sends rookies with injuries to ir. I don't think biegel would beat out any of the olbs we have right now anyways. Injured or not.

Considering Biegel had major foot surgery, the Packers will likely go very slow with him and he will likely start the season on the pup list. If he has any impact this season it will be in the second half of the season. Even if he is a fast healer, I just dont see MM taking chances with him given that they wasted Montgomery's rookie season by letting him practice hurt.

The Packers don't have enough quality depth at outside linebacker to put Biegel on injured reserve or bring him along slowly if he's able to play.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't have enough quality depth at outside linebacker to put Biegel on injured reserve or bring him along slowly if he's able to play.
I feel like people forget we have two stud olbs sometimes... Elliott, fackrell are good back ups imo. Then there's some no names like who could come out of nowhere.

Biegel is the smallest olb on the roster. A rookie. Most likely #5 on olb depth chart, and already injured.... I don't think we should expect anything until he shows us something...

Reaction score
My earlier impression was that Biegel's foot surgery was done in early May and allowed enough time for roughly 12+weeks before the start of preseason and 17+weeks before our first regular season game. Unless there are abnormal complications which can happen with any surgery, the estimated time I've seen for a fully safe recovery for an athlete from level 2 Jones surgery is between 3-4 months.
There's no reason to rush him, but that should have him back in full swing by mid-August or so.

D

Deleted member 6794

I feel like people forget we have two stud olbs sometimes... Elliott, fackrell are good back ups imo. Then there's some no names like who could come out of nowhere.

Matthews and Perry aren't capable of playing every single snap and in addition haven't been able to stay healthy for most of their careers. While Elliott and Fackrell have shown some potential occasionally I don't feel comfortable about them being the primary backups at probably the most important position in Capers scheme.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Matthews and Perry aren't capable of playing every single snap and in addition haven't been able to stay healthy for most of their careers. While Elliott and Fackrell have shown some potential occasionally I don't feel comfortable about them being the primary backups at probably the most important position in Capers scheme.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Biegel start on PUP and ensure he's healthy and ready for the back end of the schedule. In the meantime they can see if anyone else is roster worthy or bring in a low to mid priced free agent to fill in the hole until Biegel is ready in early November.

D

Deleted member 6794

In the meantime they can see if anyone else is roster worthy or bring in a low to mid priced free agent to fill in the hole until Biegel is ready in early November.

There aren't any free agents currently available that could significantly improve the talent level at edge rusher. While it's possible a veteran becomes available after roster cuts it's risky to depend on it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He is out of the boot and is crossing fingers he can contribute this week..He was put on supplements, and a certain diet and training program.
Gained 25 pounds.. So here come the roid comments..

H

HardRightEdge

Since his mom was such a seer three months ago, what is her prognosis now?
It's another case of "best case scenario". Best cases don't usually pan out; the average case pans out on avererage. Jones fractures can be very iffy, whiz bang techniques of whiz bang surgeons notwithstanding.

Lots of foot and ankle issues this year. They can be tricky.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's another case of "best case scenario". Best cases don't usually pan out; the average case pans out on avererage. Jones fractures can be very iffy, whiz bang techniques of whiz bang surgeons notwithstanding.

Lots of foot and ankle issues this year. They can be tricky.

I might opt for a Re-do of our 3rd round pick at this point.....if that was possible. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As soon as Biegel rehurt his foot during his second practice I predicted the Packers would be cautious with him and he would start the year on the pup. Glad for the caution. While he is badly needed, bringing him back too early could detail his career with chronic foot injuries.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will admit to being a Badger Homer and as nice as it would have been to had Biegel on the field all preseason, I don't view his absence as really that big of a loss to the immediate success of the Packers. More of a pause in Biegel's career and just delaying any impact he may have as a Packer. He was a 4th round pick, I didn't expect him to immediately fix the OLB position, but to probably be a special teams guy and an occasional sub on defense his first year. At this point, if there was another decent OLB out there to sign, I would almost rather see Vince IR'd, take the redshirt rookie year to get fully healthy and sign another immediate impact kind of guy, like I hope Brooks turns out to be.

D

Deleted member 6794

As soon as Biegel rehurt his foot during his second practice I predicted the Packers would be cautious with him and he would start the year on the pup. Glad for the caution. While he is badly needed, bringing him back too early could detail his career with chronic foot injuries.

Unfortunately it seems that Jones fractures significantly increase the risk of suffering further injuries and in the long run shortening the career of professional athletes.

Reaction score
It appears this was a rough start for this draft class when considering the players either injured to start the season or not making the original 53:
3rd Rounder Montravious Adams; 4th Rounder Vince Biegel; 5th Rounder Deangelo Yancey; 6th Rounder Kofi Amichia; 7th Rounder Malachi Dupre

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It appears this was a rough start for this draft class when considering the players either injured to start the season or not making the original 53:
3rd Rounder Montravious Adams; 4th Rounder Vince Biegel; 5th Rounder Deangelo Yancey; 6th Rounder Kofi Amichia; 7th Rounder Malachi Dupre

At least we still have Mays! He is going to be a difference maker on that Game inactive list!

Reaction score
At least we still have Mays! He is going to be a difference maker on that Game inactive list!
Ha. He's very raw but in limited spurts he has shown big play ability and his story is compelling. He came from a pretty poor family and was sort of adopted by his old running backs coach about the time he started getting into some trouble. Devante began to turn his life around and turned his talent on in college instead. I like that.. kid I hope he stays on the straight and narrow

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ha. He's very raw but in limited spurts he has shown big play ability and his story is compelling. He came from a pretty poor family and was sort of adopted by his old running backs coach about the time he started getting into some trouble. Devante began to turn his life around and turned his talent on in college instead. I like that.. kid I hope he stays on the straight and narrow
I think he has some potential and yes great story, will be interesting to see if they use him or will he just be a gameday inactive? I think he would have been a nice PS RB, but who knows.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he has some potential and yes great story, will be interesting to see if they use him or will he just be a gameday inactive? I think he would have been a nice PS RB, but who knows.

I guess Mays will be inactive on gamedays early this season. It's possible he might get a chance to be part of the running back rotation if Williams or Jones struggle though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess Mays will be inactive on gamedays early this season. It's possible he might get a chance to be part of the running back rotation if Williams or Jones struggle though.
That is my prediction as well. I still find it odd he was kept on the 53, but maybe the Packers felt he would get poached if he wasn't and they wouldn't be able to resign him to the PS.

Latest posts