Round 4 pick 108 Vince Biegel

H

HardRightEdge

Fackrell was a 3rd rounder, in his second season, so he should be not only ready to go, but way better than Biegel.....right? ;)
Anybody know if Fackrell put on some good weight in the off season? If he doesn't gain bulk and strength he's not going to be anything but a rotational player. As noted above, what are the odds of Matthews and Perry both start 16 games? Pretty slim.

As it stood last year, if Fackrell didn't win off the snap he was tossed around and out of the play.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anybody know if Fackrell put on some good weight in the off season? If he doesn't gain bulk and strength he's not going to be anything but a rotational player. As noted above, what are the odds of Matthews and Perry both start 16 games? Pretty slim.

As it stood last year, if Fackrell didn't win off the snap he was tossed around and out of the play.

According to Ryan Wood's story Fackrell gained 10 pounds of muscle this offseason and is up to 253 pounds.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport.../02/pressure-on-packers-young-olbs/362228001/

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see how that works. He might need another 10 or 15 lbs.
That would be too much weight to for him to carry and still be explosive off the edge. The 10lbs he put on should be enough to strengthen him up. I can see both Fackrell and Biegel getting 4 sacks apiece this season with Clay and Perry both logging double digit sacks. The wild card is Elliott! I definitely think he can have a breakout season. We have to wait and see.

H

HardRightEdge

That would be too much weight to for him to carry and still be explosive off the edge. The 10lbs he put on should be enough to strengthen him up. I can see both Fackrell and Biegel getting 4 sacks apiece this season with Clay and Perry both logging double digit sacks. The wild card is Elliott! I definitely think he can have a breakout season. We have to wait and see.
Fackrell is 6' 5" and looked awfully lanky last year at 245 lbs. He also managed only 16 lifts at his Pro Day, one better than the Combine, and it showed. You'd think he should be able to add at least another 10 lbs. of good weight to get 265 with an associated improvement in strength. If he loses explosiveness off the edge in exchange for not getting tossed around then a decision needs to be made.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell is 6' 5" and looked awfully lanky last year at 245 lbs. He also managed only 16 lifts at his Pro Day, one better than the Combine, and it showed. You'd think he should be able to add at least another 10 lbs. of good weight to get 265 with an associated improvement in strength. If he loses explosiveness off the edge in exchange for not getting tossed around then a decision needs to be made.
In my opinion you don't try to change a players strong suit. Only make weaknesses better. His talent is his lengthy frame and explosion off the edge while also being athletic enough to drop in coverage. I dont see Fackrell doing all that at 265lbs. I think him at 255lbs would be perfect for his 6'5 athletic frame!

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion you don't try to change a players strong suit. Only make weaknesses better. His talent is his lengthy frame and explosion off the edge while also being athletic enough to drop in coverage. I dont see Fackrell doing all that at 265lbs. I think him at 255lbs would be perfect for his 6'5 athletic frame!

There's absolutely no doubt Fackrell had to add weight after last season. We'll see if 10 pounds of muscle was enough to significantly improve defending the run.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt Fackrell had to add weight after last season. We'll see if 10 pounds of muscle was enough to significantly improve defending the run.

Agreed and we can only hope it was muscle and it wasn't just a diet of greasy food and alcohol.

Quite a few guys come in their rookie years in need of bulking up and gaining strength. Look at a guy like TJ Watt, a guy some of us hoped the Packers drafted with their first pick, he is 6'5" and 236 lbs. Guessing the first thing the Steelers did was put him on a strict weight room schedule.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Weight can be overrated. It's better that a guy add 10 lbs of good weight, and thereby strength, than 15-20 of sloppy weight. I'm not saying that there isn't still room for Fackrell to grow, but I'm glad he seems to be doing things the right way.

Melvin Ingram consistently played around 265 his first few seasons, and he couldn't finish plays and got hurt all the time. He didn't turn into the player he is today until he trimmed to 245. Then the injuries stopped and his production took off.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Weight can be overrated. It's better that a guy add 10 lbs of good weight, and thereby strength, than 15-20 of sloppy weight. I'm not saying that there isn't still room for Fackrell to grow, but I'm glad he seems to be doing things the right way.

Melvin Ingram consistently played around 265 his first few seasons, and he couldn't finish plays and got hurt all the time. He didn't turn into the player he is today until he trimmed to 245. Then the injuries stopped and his production took off.

Agreed. We saw what happens with Lacy and putting on "sloppy weight". A good sign to me is when a 2nd, 3rd, 4th year player comes into camp looking like they spent the off season living in a weight room. Of course, that doesn't include a regiment of PED's either.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince had bone marrow put into his foot along with stem cell
Wow does that ever sound bad. Anybody here know anything about that type of procedure? Sounds more like a cancer surgery. Seriously, is that something to be overly concerned about or is it common on his type of injury?

H

HardRightEdge

Wow does that ever sound bad. Anybody here know anything about that type of procedure? Sounds more like a cancer surgery. Seriously, is that something to be overly concerned about or is it common on his type of injury?
There may be some conflation of "bone marrow transplant", a treatment for various cancers, and "bone graft" or "bone marrow graft" in this case. Evidently, an acute Jones fracture might call for a screw while bone grafts are typically reserved for chronic conditions.

Dez Bryant had the same injury treated with a bone graft after week 1 of 2015. The following link provides a pretty comprehensive review of treatment options and prognoses.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/dez-bryant-foot-fracture-and-bone-graft-top-10-things-to-know/

Bryant returned after 7 weeks, but has not played well since. However, he's had a string of other injuries (back, ankle, knee), so it's hard to tell if the foot has been an issue.

6-8 weeks looks to be the best case scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There may be some conflation of "bone marrow transplant", a treatment for various cancers, and "bone graft" or "bone marrow graft" in this case. Evidently, an acute fracture might call for a screw while bone grafts are typically reserved for chronic conditions.

Dez Bryant had the same injury (Jones fracture) treated with a bone graft after week 1 of 2015. The following link provides a pretty comprehensive review of treatment options and prognoses.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/dez-bryant-foot-fracture-and-bone-graft-top-10-things-to-know/

Bryant returned after 7 weeks, but has not played well since. However, he's had a string of other injuries (back, ankle, knee), so it's hard to tell if the foot has been an issue.

Hope your best case scenario works out. I think this team has the most starting talent since 2010 but depth is an issue. If the Packers can stay healthy, which is always a huge if, they are a legit Super Bowl contender. I have not considered the Packers to be a potential Super Bowl winner since Nick Collins went down. Realistically, this team can do it this year if the interior o line and olb group stay healthy

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Was told that Vince will be ready to go by camp..

2 weeks ago was in a boot.. Saw it my self

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There may be some conflation of "bone marrow transplant", a treatment for various cancers, and "bone graft" or "bone marrow graft" in this case. Evidently, an acute fracture might call for a screw while bone grafts are typically reserved for chronic conditions.

Dez Bryant had the same injury (Jones fracture) treated with a bone graft after week 1 of 2015. The following link provides a pretty comprehensive review of treatment options and prognoses.

I didn't get into the details with his dad. Not going to ask all sort of stuff..

I saw the boot 1st hand and the dad told me in passing what they did...

I didn't try to dig further

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't get into the details with his dad. Not going to ask all sort of stuff..

I didn't try to dig further
I forgot... A dad isn't as accurate as an article... Vince won't tell his Mom. Or dad the truth

D

Deleted member 6794

I forgot... A dad isn't as accurate as an article... Vince won't tell his Mom. Or dad the truth

I guess that post is once again an unnecessary, unprovoked jab at me by the super moderator of this fine forum.

Let me explain my opinion one more time. I appreciate your input from Biegel's family but there's no doubt that injury is concerning according to experts.

H

HardRightEdge

Was told that Vince will be ready to go by camp..

2 weeks ago was in a boot.. Saw it my self
I didn't get into the details with his dad. Not going to ask all sort of stuff.

I didn't try to dig further.
Reports say the surgery was performed during the week of May 7. Training camp opens July 26. That's about 11 weeks recovery time. That's consistent with the best case 6-8 week window for a bone graft. The bone graft is consistent with the fact Biegel's earlier surgery involved placement of a screw to fuse the bone which evidently did not solve the problem.

The Packers always report best case scenarios.

I would expect him to be in a boot after a bone graft in his foot.
It's not a question of telling the truth or not. I've had cadaver bone grafts in my jaws, a common thing in preparation for dental implants. On one occasion I inadvertently referred to the bone grafts as "bone marrow transplants", a slip of the tongue, while knowing full well the difference. You are reporting something 4th. hand where something can get lost in translation.

Worst case? The graft does not take well at which point another surgery may be recommended or a "play with it" decision might be made.

At this point, 6 weeks after the fact, the surgeon probably has a good idea how the graft is working out.

Latest posts