Rossley and McCarthy were offensive coordinators during ...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... the same time period.

How did they stack up in a head to head comparison????

Rossley’s Packers 4 – 12 record, 18th ranked offense, 319 yds per game, 18.6 points per game
Vs
McCarthy’s 49ers 4 – 12 record, 32nd ranked offense, 224 yds per game, 14.9 points per game

Rossley’s Packers 10 – 6 record, 3rd ranked offense, 397 yds per game, 26.5 points per game Won Division and made playoffs
Vs
McCarthy’s Saints 8 – 8 record, 15th ranked offense, 324 yds per game, 21.8 points per game Did NOT make the playoffs

Rossley’s Packers 10 – 6 record, 4th ranked offense, 363 yds per game, 27.6 points per game Won Division and made playoffs
Vs
McCarthy’s Saints 8 – 8 record, 11th ranked offense, 340 yds per game, 21.2 points per game Did NOT make the playoffs

Rossley’s Packers 12 – 4 record, 8th ranked offense, 344 yds per game, 24 points per game Won Division and made playoffs
Vs
McCarthy’s Saints 9 – 7 record, 17th ranked offense, 325 yds per game, 27 points per game Did NOT make the playoffs

Rossley’s Packers 12 – 4 record, 6th ranked offense, 345 yds per game, 24 points per game Did made the playoffs
Vs
McCarthy’s Saints 9 – 7 record, 11th ranked offense, 326 yds per game, 20 points per game Did NOT make the playoffs

Rossley’s Packers 9 – 7 record, 13th ranked offense, 333 yds per game, 22 points per game Did NOT made the playoffs
Vs
McCarthy’s Saints 10 – 6 record, 12th ranked offense, 336 yds per game, 22 points per game Did make the playoffs

HMMM offensive genius huh?

Made the playoffs only once back in 2000 as a wild card team -- but it all about Super Bowls -- right?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Re: Rossley and McCarthy were offensive coordinators during

Gee Bruce....

Thanks for proving that Brett Favre has been "X" factor for SherRossley all along....

Boy think of how stinko Rossley would be without Favre...

(oh yeah..you can do that....just look at Rossley's record when he didn't have Brett Favre---"EL STINKO"....!)

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

P@ck66 said:
Gee Bruce....

Thanks for proving that Brett Favre has been "X" factor for SherRossley all along....

(oh yeah..you can do that....just look at Rossley's record when he didn't have Brett Favre---"EL STINKO"....!)

Well I must agree with 66 here !!!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

66: I think you miss the point, All coaches suffer if they don't have talent.
Some were declaring McCarthy a genius and a brilliant offensive mind. Further some were even bold enough to compare him with Holmgren (who of course came to GB with Super Bowl rings on both hands). I pointed out that his record does not support all of the Hyperbole.

I don't think we could fairly compare him to another Head Coach, so by chance he and Rossley were offensive coordinators during the same time period -- I provided a head to head comparison of results.

It is NOT a defense or endorsement of Rossley, rather simply a comparative analysis of their records during the exact same time period in the same role.

P@ck66 said:
Gee Bruce....

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
66: I think you miss the point, All coaches suffer if they don't have talent.
Some were declaring McCarthy a genius and a brilliant offensive mind. Further some were even bold enough to compare him with Holmgren (who of course came to GB with Super Bowl rings on both hands). I pointed out that his record does not support all of the Hyperbole.

I don't think we could fairly compare him to another Head Coach, so by chance he and Rossley were offensive coordinators during the same time period -- I provided a head to head comparison of results.

It is NOT a defense or endorsement of Rossley, rather simply a comparative analysis of their records during the exact same time period in the same role.

By the way, it is not a thread saying that McCarthy cannot succeed either. Rather, it is saying that this hire is at best a risky proposition.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Any hire anywhere is going to be at best a risky proposition is it not? This Packers offense has enough talent to be doing better than they have this year, much better than the amount of talent san francisco has or new orleans had. Also Rossley hasn't called plays for a season and a half.

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

SuperRat said:
Also Rossley hasn't called plays for a season and a half.

:roll: Right! Rossley had his dirty mits all over our play-calling the entire time Sherman was supposedly the HC/OC. Did you watch the last season and a half? (minus the first 2-3 games after Rossley initially went down)

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here is another little factoid for all of the Bate's supports (which includes me -- though I wasn't sure he was the best pick)

When Bates was the head coach of the USFL San Antonio Gunslingers, can you guess who his offensive coordinator was?

ANSWER IS........

................Tom Rossley.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
Here is another little factoid for all of the Bate's supports (which includes me -- though I wasn't sure he was the best pick)

When Bates was the head coach of the USFL San Antonio Gunslingers, can you guess who his offensive coordinator was?

ANSWER IS........

$hit thanks for that info Bruce,,,, then I am not felling that bad about not getting Bates.... who knows if he would have hired Rossley anyway..

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:shock: No kidding? Holy hell! That's scary! We could have been stuck with Tommy for years to come. Whew! :puke:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Correct me if I am wrong but has not the 12 of the Packers 14 head coaches so far including MM come to this team as first time head coaches?

Look at the overall accomplishments of this team, it seams to be working.

Being that both Bates and MM have no head coaching record I find it hard for anyone who does not have NFL Management experience to question the choice.

I am behind the choice 100%!

This is a good day fore Packer Fans every where. A fresh start is an exciting thing!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
Correct me if I am wrong but has not the 12 of the Packers 14 head coaches so far including MM come to this team as first time head coaches?

Being that both Bates and MM have no head coaching record I find it hard for anyone who does not have NFL Management experience to question the choice.

This is a good day fore Packer Fans every where. A fresh start is an exciting thing!

No offense brother, but that logic says we should be cheering even if the Packers had hired Mr. Whipple from the old Charmin ads -- because of course he had no previous NFL head coaching experience either. :shrug:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

RP: If that's true, it must mean that the two former coaches who were hired by the Packers were Forrest Gregg and Ray Rhodes--not exactly the cream of the crop. This is not meant as an endorsement of McCarthy, but it is an interesting fact.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is thread is a waste of time. Compare apples to apples. Rosley had a far superior team with maybe the best QB of all time. Under SherRosley's guidance the team underachieved. Its time to TFP!!!!*

They are GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*turn the f**king page.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PACKATTACK4 said:
This is thread is a waste of time. Compare apples to apples. Rosley had a far superior team with maybe the best QB of all time. Under SherRosley's guidance the team underachieved. Its time to TFP!!!!*

They are GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*turn the f**king page.

How is analysing the new Head Coach of this franchise not turning the flucking page?

And look in the mirror -- how the hell is calling Mike Sherman, a man who took over a franchise headed in the wrong direction and delivered 5 winning seasons, 4 straight playoff appearances and three straight division crowns while serving the Packers loyaly SherRosley turning the flucking page??? It takes a real big man to be disrespectful and name call on the internet (NOT) and it takes less than character to manifest your disappointment in losing by assailing the character of such a man (SO)

Save your hypocritical lectures for standing in front of the mirror son -- and grow up.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Bruce said:

ANSWER IS........

Rossley first entered the professional coaching ranks in 1982, when he served as running backs/wide receivers coach for the Canadian Football League's Montreal Concorde. After three seasons in Montreal, he moved south to become offensive coordinator for the San Antonio Gunslingers of the United States Football League in 1985. He later served a season (1987) on the offensive staff of the Arena League's Denver Dynamite.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/rossley_tom/

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow, if people on this forum had been aware of the Bates/Rossley connection, they may not have been quite so enthusiastic about Bates.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mc Carthy wouldn't have been the top pick except the ViQueens beat us to the guy. Think McCarthy will be starting out with an albatross around his neck. Named T.T.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

chibiabos said:
Mc Carthy wouldn't have been the top pick except the ViQueens beat us to the guy. Think McCarthy will be starting out with an albatross around his neck. Named T.T.

Hey see you from trego. Im not too far away from you. Sometimes I travel down to lacrosse, I go through Trego. sometimes I stop at the dinner bell restaurant. Great food.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
RP: If that's true, it must mean that the two former coaches who were hired by the Packers were Forrest Gregg and Ray Rhodes--not exactly the cream of the crop. This is not meant as an endorsement of McCarthy, but it is an interesting fact.

B-I-N-G-O

The Packers and the history behind this franchise suggests the hiring was a good one... Now, this does not mean that hiring Bates was not a better decision. That remains to be seen until... if and when he becomes a head coach, and... if and what he has to work with at that time.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
Raider Pride said:

No offense brother, but that logic says we should be cheering even if the Packers had hired Mr. Whipple from the old Charmin ads -- because of course he had no previous NFL head coaching experience either. :shrug:

Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

I presumed (In my post.) that people who had no football experience were clearly not involved in the decision process of choosing a new head coach, and I doubt that the Packers brought Mr. Whipple in for an interview as a head coach in any of the 14 openings tha Packers have had.

Your analogy of my point is taken and noted.

However, your analogy of my post and thought process on the subject suggests it was a post that was a wandering generality and not a meaningful specific, which of course was my intention.

You can be a smart guy when you want to be Bruce. I was simply pointing out that the Packers in the past have made some good decisions based on giving opportunities to rookie head coaches.

Bates may end up being a better head coach than MM in the future, but right now he is not even in contention with any other team that I know of, and if you apply Vilfredo Pareto's "Pareto Principle" to Packers coaching decisinons in the history of this storied franchise to the mix... It makes a great deal of sense.... The vital few... and the Trivial many.

R.P.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider: I like you and respect you -- so I will take you at your word and correct you.

For Example:

Devine was elected to the National Football Foundation's college Hall
of Fame in 1985.

Arizona State hired Devine as head coach at age 31 in 1955. After three
seasons and a 27-3-1 record, he moved to Missouri, where he was 93-37-7
in 13 seasons, with two Big Eight championships and six bowl
appearances.

Lindy Infante was a USFL Head Coach, 1984-85 (15-21)

Lindy Infante becoming the head coach of the Jacksonville Bulls was inevitable. Not that it was certain he would coach Jacksonville, but it was assured that the popular tutor would be running his own program someday.

Coaches, players and the media have sung Infante's praises. In a July 13 column by Florida Times-Union Sports Editor David Lamm, the senior writer says: "…. And thus it begins what everyone is certain, it seems, is going to be a very fine career as a professional head coach.

"Trying to fine anyone …who will criticize ET.

"Regardless of to whom you speak, Infante is hard-nosed, dedicated student of the game who has learned his craft from the bottom up and a mature man with a sense of humor who knows how to treat men like men.

"There's no Cinderella in Infante's background. There's no sugar daddy & no family connection. Infante simply impressed his peers and colleagues every step of the way as he went through his 18-year coaching career…"

Infante's last stop prior to accepting the Jacksonville position was with the NFL Cincinnati Bengals, He joined the Bengals in 1980. He was promoted from receiver-quarterback coach to offensive coordinator after the Bengals 1981 season when Cincinnati feel to San Francisco in Super Bowl XVI.

"It was Cincinnati that Infante's genius became obvious. Under his direction, quarterback, Ken Anderson became the National Football League's most valuable player and the bruising Bengals became an offensive machine."

In 1981 the Bengals improved from 6-10 to 12-4 winning the American Conference Championship over the San Diego Chargers before bowing in the Super Bowl. The team was 7-2 in the strike shortened 1982 season.

Prior to Cincinnati, Infante was offensive coordinator at Tulane that upset Southern Methodist, Stanford, Mississippi and Louisiana State in 1979.

Infante began his coaching career at Miami Senior High in 1965. He moved on to Florida in 1966 as freshmen coach and spent five more years as a backfield assistant.

He moved on from Florida in 1972 for Memphis State where he was offensive coordinator and assistant head coach for three seasons. He had a brief stint in the World Football League in 1975 working with the Charlotte Hornets until the League folded midway through the season. Infante's next stop was as head coach of Tulane his first of two stops at the New Orleans campus.

His first NFL job was in 1977 as receiver coach with the New York Giants. Infante played his collegiate ball at Florida from 1960-62 helping the team compile a 20-11-1 record in his three varsity seasons. The team went to two Gator Bowls, defeating Baylor 13-12 after the 1960 season and Penn State 17-7 following the 1962-year. He was co-captain in 1962.

Throughout his coaching career, he developed flair for exciting offenses built around the one-setback, multiple-set passing attack.

"Offense is my thing," admits Infante. "I believe in a passing game because it's exciting to watch and fun for the players, but I appreciate defense too."

Raider Pride said:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jeepers....

I thought everyone would know... When I stated that 12 of 14 head coaches of the Packers were first time head coaches in the N.F.L.

My God Bruce.... The CFL, the U.S.F.L, NFL Europe, College, High School, the Chinese American Football Association of people learning to speak english, and the 10-12 year old flag football Boise Montana Leauge were not part of the Head Coaching resume I was using as an example.

Thanks for correcting me.... I should have stated that in my original post.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

OK Bruce..you're Right...

(Better frame that...I don't say it too often..!)

I thought that you were driving at something else...

Listen...we can speculate all we want...but that's just what it is...SPECULATION!

(I prefer to judge a coach on his actions...the decisions that he makes during game time and elsewhere...So...I'm holding off judgement on MM until I see what he does...)

You may have heard that I didn't like the other two fellows (who shall remain nameless), who were here before, and I may have gotten a little vociferous....

and all I can say to that is...... mea culpa...mea culpa...

(i shall wear a hair shirt..(with the hairs turned inward) and wail upon the steps of the Green Bay cathedral....mea culpa!!)

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
Jeepers....

I thought everyone would know... When I stated that 12 of 14 head coaches of the Packers were first time head coaches in the N.F.L.

My God Bruce.... The CFL, the U.S.F.L, NFL Europe, College, High School, the Chinese American Football Association of people learning to speak english, and the 10-12 year old flag football Boise Montana Leauge were not part of the Head Coaching resume I was using as an example.

Thanks for correcting me.... I should have stated that in my original post.

Don't get defensive R.P. there is no need with me. I was being sincere in the like and respect remark.

Dan Devine is in the College Coaches Hall of Fame. Being a Head Coach in college is certainly a legit calling card and resume item to get you a Head Coaching job in the NFL.

I am hopeful too, or at least cautiously optimistic in the hiring of a young bright man who may rise to the challenge of greatness.

I think it is dangerous to give blank checks and unquestions authority to anyone. One of the reasons Holmgren and Wolf worked so well was they provided a check on each others massive egos and a creative edginess.

Ted and Mike were doomed by the forced marriage. I hope McCarthy can grow into the position and provide some balance in operations at 1265. Vince Lombardi was the rare individual that could handle both on his own -- on the other hand, I do not think it is totally unrelated that he died young of cancer. The stress of both jobs is too much.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts