Rookie RB JAMES STARKS

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Video Gallery

Does he look skinny for an NFL RB to you?
I think so, way skinny.
Look at his neck, and his torso, shoulders.
That looks like a James Lofton thin WR.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say give the poor kid his chance to see what he can do. He hasn't shown much promise but you just never know. Now is the perfect time for him to make his case. I wish him the best and hope he plays up. Hope we didn't waste a pick too.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wondering if we might have to wait til next season before we get a good eye on this kid

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ3dPkL0pr4]YouTube - Former Bulls RB James Starks Drafted by the Green Bay Packers[/ame]

Rather use that to see how he handles guys hitting him and trying to tackle him..

He takes some good shots and keeps going..

Lets WAIT to see how he pans out...Maybe he is to thin and cant take the pounding, but to dismiss him right away is wrong..

Just as saying the college highlight will show us how good he will be...

Lets the man show us what he has, then nit pick, or praise him

DoubleC4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im excited to see what he can do. he hasnt played a down in a while so we will have to be patient with him. i just hope he doesnt get injured again

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess this body style is not good either?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
He doesn't look that thin to me. I don't see it, unless your comparing him to "The Bus".

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score

AP looks pretty skinny too when he got drafted.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AP looks pretty skinny too when he got drafted.

Uhhh... That would be Jamarcus Russell lol.

But I agree, give the guy a chance, who knows.

I thought that Jennings was too short to play WR and T. Williams was too small to effectively take over for Al Harris, you could say I was wrong... lol.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Uhhh... That would be Jamarcus Russell lol.

But I agree, give the guy a chance, who knows.

I thought that Jennings was too short to play WR and T. Williams was too small to effectively take over for Al Harris, you could say I was wrong... lol.

LOL, my bad. I clicked the wrong pic when I was saving it. Duh.

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I read about Starks when we drafted him, but I have never seen him on tape until this thread.

I think he is a "Diamond in the Rough"...let's hope his wheels hold up.

I can't wait to see him in game action!

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure where you get the too skinny to be a RB from, disagree. I like the Chris Johnson and Marcus Allen examples haha Lets hope he has some of either of those guys in his game!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rookie running back James Starks is 'competing to play,' Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy says | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy insists that rookie running back James Starks was put on the 53-man roster for one reason — to contribute.

There was no guarantee Starks would be activated this season after missing training camp with a hamstring injury and starting the season on the physically unable to perform list.

But instead of placing Starks on season-ending injured reserve, the Packers moved him to the 53-man roster last week.

“His look’s over … he’s competing to play,” McCarthy said Monday. “He needs to get ready to play, and that’s what all 53 players look for, an opportunity to compete during the week. We do it in our Tuesday meetings normally in a normal week, we stack the board, how you get from 53 to 45, this player is competing against that player. Special teams is usually the tiebreaker.

“He needs to compete to get up on the field on Sundays.”

Starks hasn’t appeared in a football game since suiting up for the University of Buffalo in the International Bowl against Connecticut on Jan. 3, 2009. He missed his senior season with a torn labrum, but set school records in rushing yards (3,140), rushing touchdowns (34) and points scored (222) in just three seasons.

“He’s a big, physical, athletic runner,” McCarthy said.

Starks, a sixth-round draft choice, participated in a practice for the first time as an active member of the Packers on Monday and wore the No. 28 jersey to impersonate Vikings running back Adrian Peterson against the No. 1 defense.

“Definitely, think I am (ready),” Starks said. “I’m kind of itching to get out there. I want to feel how everybody in this locker room probably has been feeling — going out there every day.

“I’ve been out for a while. Just getting into things … I started feeling more comfortable and feeling like myself again.”

The Packers are ranked No. 20 in the league with 101.6 rushing yards a game. Brandon Jackson has averaged 93.2 combined rushing and receiving yards during the last five games, and John Kuhn has served as the team’s other halfback since starter Ryan Grant was lost for the season in Week 1.

It might be a stretch to think Starks could make an impact so soon after missing so much time, especially with the scheme’s pass-blocking responsibilities. But McCarthy and the coaching staff saw something encouraging to merit giving him a roster spot.

“Every day is an evaluation for me,” Starks said. “Whenever my name is called upon, I’ll be ready. Each day I try to get better. That’s the main thing, being more efficient in everything you’re doing. I want to play. Of course I want to play. But I can only control what I can right now.”

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, he's built like Eric ****erson. He stunk up the joint. Bad pick by Thompson.

Oops sorry ... ****erson rushed for 2,105 yards in a single season, went to 6 Pro Bowls, and was an All Pro 5 times. 6'3" 220 lbs. Same body type as Starks. I think he ran upright also.
Wow, a bit sensitive tonight?

I watched ****erson (and Craig James) play here at SMU... the Pony Express.

I said look at Starks neck and shoulders. ****erson wasn't that thin. Maybe Marcus Allen at USC. And OJ Simpson was thin. So I guess you're saying because they were thin too, and because TT drafted Starks, James is gonna turn into one of those guys? :banging:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No one is saying he will turn into those runners
(little bit over analyzing? :banging: )

But you seem so set on the fact that because of his size he CANT do well.

What we are saying is just wait to see how he turns out..

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea about him. No idea.

He hasn't played for 1 1/2 years. Don't know if he'll be able to contribute.

But if he wouldn't, why would they activate him anyway???

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's 6'2" which can be looked at as a blessing or a curse. Yes it could make him easier to tackle since getting a low pad level on him is easy(and he seems to kind of run upright), but at the same time hish height could make him a huge asset as a receiver.