Rookie DT Harrell: Good & Bad Reviews

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
tromadz said:
well Normally high expectations right away in a #1 pick is warranted, but after looking at the situation for a second...it wasnt going to happen, by plan.

1. He's injured, and returning from injury.
2. He plays on one of the most DEEP D-lines in the NFL.

The second he was signed, the plan was to move him in slow(obvious by him not doing much early on even though he said he could. They were cautious, rightfully so), and let him get used to the NFL this year, through preseason, and being in the rotation come regular season.

Anyone who thought Harrell would come in (injured) and become the #1 DT on the team right off the bat isn't very bright, or at least not looking at the situation closely.

Gramps gets a pass because he's old.

At the beginning of training camp, Mike McCarthy projected Harrell as one of the starting DT's. I don't think he would have done that unless he really believed Harrell was likely to be capable of starting by opening day. It looks to me like Harrell is taking longer to get into the swing of things than the coaching staff anticipated. That's not the end of the world, but it is a bit disappointing, especially considering that he's not even close to being good enough to start. He may be the sixth best DT on the team right now. Let's hope he's at least able to work his way into the rotation by the end of the season.

He may have put him ahead on the depth chart, but he did start him with the third stringers right away so it kind of cancels each other out.

I don't see any reason why McCarthy would've projected Harrell as the starter unless he really thought it would happen. Maybe it was some weird motivational thing, but that seems like a stretch.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell may turn out to be the best player the Packers ever drafted. That is what I hope. The reality is that like many other Thompson picks, he was picked higher than he was slotted by most teams. Although I think Ted has done a better than average job with his choices, I sense he's looking to find that diamond in the rough, that draft pick that make or break his career. Hopefully Harrel is that choice.

Nick Collins was another guy who was drafted way earlier than he was slotted. Now he's a nice player but he hasn't turned out to be what I think Ted was hoping he would be.

We have yet to find that diamond in the rough, and I suggest that Harrel may just be the next guy in line that was taken before his time.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last night a tv station in milw. ran a 1 hour special on the upcoming sports stories in WI. they featured the brewers pennant race, the badger's run a a title, and the upcoming packer season. they were interviewing Harrell.

Harrell cracked me up. he has a little kid's face, and a big old smile. they asked what was his favorite meal?

he replied, my momma's fried chicken, white beans, spaghetti, and mud pie. it just sounded so funny.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell may turn out to be the best player the Packers ever drafted. That is what I hope. The reality is that like many other Thompson picks, he was picked higher than he was slotted by most teams. Although I think Ted has done a better than average job with his choices, I sense he's looking to find that diamond in the rough, that draft pick that make or break his career. Hopefully Harrel is that choice.

Nick Collins was another guy who was drafted way earlier than he was slotted. Now he's a nice player but he hasn't turned out to be what I think Ted was hoping he would be.

We have yet to find that diamond in the rough, and I suggest that Harrel may just be the next guy in line that was taken before his time.

If Harrell doesn't work out I doubt it will be "break TT's career" any more than if Harrell does in fact work out that it will make TT's career. Btw, Shannahan said he was considering Harrell at the 17th spot. That being said yes TT has taken guys ahead of where they were "slotted" but by how much no one knows and I'm hardly going to listen to what Mel Kiper thinks about all that.

They stay true to their board and I applaud them for that.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with most draft choices, you need to wait a year or two to see if the pick was a hit or miss. This is even more true with a guy who did not play a full season last year due to injury and was still recovering and strengthening at the begining of camp.

That said, my personal opinion is that he will be a very good NFL DT, but not a dominant force like R. Seymour, T. Harris, or K. Williams. However, given his draft position, I think he will prove to be a fair value.

The selection, while not the most ****, will have trickle down implications on this team for the next several years. With the depth we now have at DT it will give GB flexibility to trade a DT for a needed component, or will allow them to be extremely cautious in their negotiations with Williams and may free up FA money that would have gone to him to spend in another area. When the final judgement is cast in several years on the value of Harrell, we must also look at these factors.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think A.J. Hawk spoiled us. Before Hawk it was a long time before a 1st round pick actually did anything good for the Packers or made a big impact. So I think we all expected that if Hawk can do it then perhaps the next guy will as well when that will not be the case. I highly doubt Harrell is even activated for Philly assuming we don't trade one of our "fab" 4 DT's.

EDIT: Greg Olsen would likely be starting.

So I'm def not happy with Harrell right now even if my expectations weren't that great to begin with.

I must say, it's turning out to be a pretty good draft class...projects are expected & their scouting profiles were pretty good too.

:pop: :pop:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. So much of a big deal was made about Harrell's failures in the 1 on 1 pass rushing drills. Here are the training camp statistics for defensive players in the drill:

DT Jonny Jolly, 17-9-3 (.638); DT Daniel Muir, 15-26-11 (.394); DE Jason Hunter, 8-14-6 (.393); DE Cullen Jenkins, 7-12-3 (.386); DE Aaron Kampman, 6-11-3 (.375); DE DeVon Hicks, 4-7-0 (.364); DT Justin Harrell, 10-22-6 (.342); DE Mike Montgomery, 7-13-2 (.341); DT Colin Cole, 3-10-3 (.281); DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, 5-16-2 (.261); DE Larry Birdine, 5-20-6 (.258); DT Ryan Pickett, 1-4-1 (.250) and DT Corey Williams, 0-9-2 (.091).

Seems middle of the pack to me, and it isn't exactly organized by quality of the linemen.

I was more than a little annoyed at how GB sports writers feel the need to screw with us over stuff like this, failing to leave out the fact that he's doing about average on the drill. "Harrell fails at drill again!" **** off, you ****** writers.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have taken Olson or Leon Hall, but I think Harrell can turn it around and really help us out this year.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=207509&ntpid=2

Packers: Harrell deep on depth chart

Having grown up in Martin, Tenn., a 2 1/2-hour drive from Nashville, Justin Harrell's cheering section for Thursday night's preseason finale at LP Field will be 40 or 50 people strong. It also could be the last folks see of the Green Bay Packers' first-round draft pick for awhile. While the Packers' first-round pick (16th overall) has a roster spot secured by virtue of his draft position, he's likely to be inactive for the Sept. 9 regular-season opener against Philadelphia if the team keeps five defensive tackles, as expected. With Ryan Pickett locked in at one starting spot and Corey Williams and Johnny Jolly battling for the other, Colin Cole is solidly fourth and undrafted rookie free agent Daniel Muir is perhaps even with Harrell at this point.

"Is (Harrell) where we want him to be? Probably not," defensive tackles coach Nunn said. "But still yet, I think with this kid, if you start judging him right now on what kind of player you think he's going to be, I think you're going to be wrong. It's just too early. "He's got a lot of catching up to do, and there's a lot of good players in front of him right now." With coach Mike McCarthy planning to mix-and-match lineups throughout Thursday's game, Harrell should see more action during the first half than he has in the first three preseason games. But unless the Packers trade one of the defensive tackles ahead of him, it's hard to envision him playing his way onto the 45-man game-day roster when the games start to count. "That's a pretty good first four (in the) rotation, but Justin is doing OK," said Packers general manager Ted Thompson, who was booed by fans at the team's draft party inside the Lambeau Field atrium when he selected Harrell in April. "There's a lot of speculation on No. 1 picks. I'm sure he'd probably like to have a little more success, but he's had his moments in preseason games."

For his part, Harrell said he's "a little satisfied" with the progress he's made since camp began. After missing all but three games of his senior season at Tennessee with a ruptured biceps, Harrell was held out of 11-on-11 periods during minicamps and organized team activity practices this offseason, then struggled in team periods early in camp and may not have passed the pre-camp conditioning test had he signed in time to participate in it. "I know I've got a long ways to go and a lot of things I need to work on, but I'm happy with where I came from, just with the injury and coming back from that, and with my conditioning level," said Harrell, who has five tackles, one sack and a pass deflection through three games. "There's certain things I'm pleased with. But as far as getting an understanding and a feel for this defense, and how you're supposed to play this technique, I'm still trying to figure that out."

Asked if he'll be disappointed if he's inactive against Philadelphia, Harrell replied, "I guess I will be disappointed. You come in as a (first-round) draft pick and you want to show what you can do out there. That'd be the coaches' decision. I'm just going to do everything I can to keep that from happening." Nunn said Harrell is "very coachable" and he's most pleased with the way Harrell has played in the second half of the early preseason games, when play becomes ragged and he's had to eat up a large number of snaps. Despite being "dog tired," Nunn said Harrell has continued to concentrate on refining his technique and doing as he's been taught. Nevertheless, it might not be enough to get him on the field on opening day, and Nunn acknowledges as much. "His situation is a little bit different, coming off the long layoff and being behind a little bit. To me, (being active on Sept. 9) is really not big of a factor right now," Nunn said. "I know there's a lot of anxious people wanting to see him go out there and flash early, and that may not be the case. But I really believe this guy's going to be a contributor for us. Now, if it's the first play of the first game, I don't know. But I'm not disappointed with where he is."

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually pretty excited about Harrell when they drafted him. I love DTs and he seemed like the perfect size, and strong, and what they did have in highlight clips made him look like a monster. I thought this might end up being a real coup for us. It could still be.

But what I didn't know about at the time was all his injury problems. Maybe not serious/permanent, but he missed a lot of playing time not only in college, but also in high school. Just kind of seems a little too persistent for my comfort level. And now it would seem that either his conditioning or intensity level are a bit off (or perhaps both). It's not hard to read between the lines in those articles and especially the quotes - the Packers coaching staff is clearly disappointed. That doesn't mean they are writing him off for this year or even that it is causing any concern in the grand scheme of things, we're obviously deep in that position, but there is no mistaking when they say things like "he's a little behind" or "we'd like him to be further along, but..." what it means is -- way behind. Not where a first pick should be, at least right now.

Bummer. At least time is on our side, for now. ;)

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:
tromadz said:
well Normally high expectations right away in a #1 pick is warranted, but after looking at the situation for a second...it wasnt going to happen, by plan.

1. He's injured, and returning from injury.
2. He plays on one of the most DEEP D-lines in the NFL.

The second he was signed, the plan was to move him in slow(obvious by him not doing much early on even though he said he could. They were cautious, rightfully so), and let him get used to the NFL this year, through preseason, and being in the rotation come regular season.

Anyone who thought Harrell would come in (injured) and become the #1 DT on the team right off the bat isn't very bright, or at least not looking at the situation closely.

Gramps gets a pass because he's old.

At the beginning of training camp, Mike McCarthy projected Harrell as one of the starting DT's. I don't think he would have done that unless he really believed Harrell was likely to be capable of starting by opening day. It looks to me like Harrell is taking longer to get into the swing of things than the coaching staff anticipated. That's not the end of the world, but it is a bit disappointing, especially considering that he's not even close to being good enough to start. He may be the sixth best DT on the team right now. Let's hope he's at least able to work his way into the rotation by the end of the season.

He may have put him ahead on the depth chart, but he did start him with the third stringers right away so it kind of cancels each other out.

I don't see any reason why McCarthy would've projected Harrell as the starter unless he really thought it would happen. Maybe it was some weird motivational thing, but that seems like a stretch.

It possibly could have been a bluff for other teams... maybe to hide some of our depth for the moment?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I'm most disappointed about with him is that he's still so out of shape. I don't want to call the guy Cletidus Hunt, but it seems to me that by now he shouldn't have to be asking to come out of games.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His shape doesn't worry me as he seems to have a nice attitude, nothing like Cletidus Hunt, the coaches will get him ready sooner or later. DT's usually need some time to develop.

Remember Harrell almost didn't play his senior year.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Insider Scout Review

http://packers.scout.com/2/673636.html

And the first shall be last

Justin Harrell's status at the bottom of the Packers' depth chart makes general manager Ted Thompson's selection a poor one, says PackerReport.com's Matt Tevsh. If Justin Harrell had not been such a high draft pick, he might be fighting for a roster spot this week. His training camp has been unimpressive and the Packers are loaded with capable defensive lineman. So as certain as Harrell with have a spot on the team being a first-round draft choice, it seems even more certain that he will spend much of the year on the sideline. He is just not good enough right now to supplant others at his position. What all this spells out is not that Harrell was a bad draft pick, but rather that he was a wasted one – at least for this year. Just as Packers’ fans rained boos upon general manager Ted Thompson on day one of the draft, they really have nothing more to cheer about after seeing Harrell in training camp other than the promise that he might be dominant some day.

Everyone knows that the Packers could have used another offensive weapon in the first round of the draft, but for whatever reason, it did not work out. Instead, they got a defensive player with that pick that has nowhere to play because the competition ahead of him is just too good – and it looks like it might be at least that good for years to come. Harrell is improving, so says defensive tackles coach Robert Nunn. He is a humble, good kid fitting the McCarthy’s motto of finding “Packer People.” His preseason game action has been limited because of his conditioning, but he says he definitely is in football shape now and ready to go. His biggest test will come tonight in the preseason finale at Tennessee. Not only will it be a homecoming of sorts (returning to his home state), but he is expected to see his most extensive action of the preseason. Tonight’s game will give the best indicator as to what the Packers can expect from Harrell this year if he can ever find a way into the defensive tackle rotation. He could see action for over two quarters, and if he is progressing, he should dominate the backup units of the Titans.

Harrell said the coaches have not told him anything as of yet about what his role will be on the team this year. But even if he continues to improve, he will still be a likely candidate for the inactive list on game days. Depending on the preparation each week, there is simply no spot for him. Ryan Pickett and Corey Williams have done nothing to lose their starting positions at tackles while Cullen Jenkins has found a niche moving from end to tackle in specific situations. The Packers also have no reason at this time to move Harrell ahead of super-sub Colin Cole or a much-improved Johnny Jolly. That puts Harrell as the No. 5 defensive tackle. Only injuries will give him a chance to move up because those ahead of him seem as hungry and fit as ever to make an impact. That the Packers list Harrell as a starter on the team’s depth chart has to be some kind of joke or motivational tool for other players. If not, they are doing a disservice to those who have worked hard and earned their position. Harrell is not quite ready for prime time yet, which the Packers’ brass had to know coming into the draft. Not only is he raw, but he also missed basically the entire football season last year at Tennessee with a torn biceps tendon. There is really no reason to give up on him just yet, and he is definitely not a Jamal Reynolds, but there are many more reasons to believe his contributions will be minimal as a rookie.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he did alright against the titans. he should definitely suit up against the eagles and be rotated in. If the Packers manage to get ahead early and make teams chase the game then i reckon guys like Harrell can make an impact on the pass rish.

Members online

Latest posts