Rollins Neck , FA CBs and big DBs merged

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because in no way did Adams have a promising rookie year, followed by a HORRIFIC 2nd year were he was one of the worst recievers in the league and then rebounded to be a damn good WR this year and was statistically the best WR in the entire league over a 5-6 week stretch.

And yeah its not like our CB situation was horrific when both Randell and Rollins were hurt and the entire D improved dramatically when they returned to the lineup.

Sophomore slumps are a thing whether you want to believe it or not

You need a different definition of the word "facts".

Heaven forbid a player that's in his 3rd, count it 3rd, year of playing football since HS takes a step back once teams got tape on him. Rollins was and still is a project that was never expected to play as earmy as he did

So if he is a "project" then Why waste a 2nd rd pick on a guy from
Miami of Ohio of al places that you could've gotten in the 4th rd? And why did they feel
Ok letting Hayward go if he wasn't expected to play as early as he did? See where this may cause some contradiction in your response? Not saying it didn't make sense...but it's not clear what your point is.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Back up what claim?!! That he got torched against the Vikings?! Watch the damn game tape! You agree but you want some report that says he was fully healthy? I want for you to stop trying to argue my point just to argue.

Read? Come on now.. About being healthy.

I wanted Injury report from viking game shows he wasn't listed

Figured it was pretty easy to get..

But I found it for you and agreed with you.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again..you don't read. This is in reposnse to your response to my response....to Mondio! He said hurt all season. So he wasn't heathy against Minnesota?
Actually no... as I recall he had been out of practice the day before the game with an illness and played sick anyway in the game. The week before he was the number one rated CB by PFF. I believe he was injured the following week.

BTW while certainly not healthy.... an illness would not show up on the injury report.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injury report from viking game shows he wasn't listed

Figured it was pretty easy to get..

But I found it for you and agreed with you.

But there was nothing needed to get man. He hadn't been on any injury reports prior to the game, or at the start of the game. I KNEW this. You follow the Packers through the week like I do as well I'm sure. I didn't need to prove he wasn't injured wth. But thanks anyways haha smh.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually no... as I recall he had been out of practice the day before the game with an illness and played sick anyway in the game. The week before he was the number one rated CB by PFF. I believe he was injured the following week.

I think Randall was actually sick the next week against the Detroit.

This debate is getting old. These are the guys we have right now for better or worse. Randall has had a rough year. He has seemingly played two healthy games this season. One really good. One really bad.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Randall was actually sick the next week against the Detroit.

This debate is getting old. These are the guys we have right now for better or worse. Randall has had a rough year. He has seemingly played two healthy games this season. One really good. One really bad.
You are correct, I went back and checked it was the Detroit game that he played sick in.... So the Minnesota game is a bit of an anomaly.... with no real explanation for his play. He injured his groin in practice before the Giants game so... He played well in game 1.. got torched in game 2.. played sick in game 3 and was injured the rest of the year....

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always like the big CBs. I mean I considered 6' 200 pounds small when I was younger. Packers liked their runty CBs back then, which surely fueled that fire. One of my favorite players all time was Al Harris. He was runtish, but played like a LB. Scrappy to say the least. I loved the way he played the game! He broke the mold... And it has come to my attention since then that being there when the ball gets there is more important to a CB than making a big tackle afterwards... So 6'2" 215 pound CBs aren't always the best for that.

But then I watch the Giants superbowl teams that beat us. Big, powerful, punishing, aggressive and effective CBs. They thew us off our game. The dominating O and D lines did the rest for them.

Now with the injuries to Randall, Rollins, Dorleant, we had guys like Burnett, Hyde and Gunter down playing DB and CB in the dime. I even seen #47 Ryan on the bottom of the screen covering a TE once. It looked desperate...
Funny thing was. That was when we stopped them. The dagger was Hyde picking it off in physical coverage... Forget inexperience. Forget the prototype CB, or what we would rather have... The big physical Dbacks were disruptive and got the job done...
I say we use this to our advantage rather than desperately grasp on to old ways, playing with guys who aren't healthy... Instead lets bring in another disruptive Dlineman. swarm the LBs. Stop the run, and pressure the QB with the front 7 (actually have 7 up front). Then get physical Gunter, Hyde, and Burnett even. Leave Haha back to clean clocks.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if he is a "project" then Why waste a 2nd rd pick on a guy from
Miami of Ohio of al places that you could've gotten in the 4th rd? And why did they feel
Ok letting Hayward go if he wasn't expected to play as early as he did? See where this may cause some contradiction in your response? Not saying it didn't make sense...but it's not clear what your point is.

It's not contradictory. They took a risk that he'd be ready to play an increase role based on his rookie year. Gambles don't allways pay off. Showed flashes his rookie year, team thought he'd progress farther then he has, opens get tape on a player which leads to a down year as they know his tendencies from last year and he doesn't yet have the experience/technique to compensate yet and boom. You have a sophmore slump

And projects get taken in the 2nd round all the time. In fact it's where guys that are viewed as very talented just not ready to immediately contribute tend to get taken. School size is inconsequential

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not contradictory. They took a risk that he'd be ready to play an increase role based on his rookie year. Gambles don't allways pay off. Showed flashes his rookie year, team thought he'd progress farther then he has, opens get tape on a player which leads to a down year as they know his tendencies from last year and he doesn't yet have the experience/technique to compensate yet and boom. You have a sophmore slump

And projects get taken in the 2nd round all the time. In fact it's where guys that are viewed as very talented just not ready to immediately contribute tend to get taken. School size is inconsequential

Look man Rollins sucks...I'm not going to *****foot around it anymore. I just think he reminds me of to much of Ahmad Carrol Remember him? Scared to death when you saw a pass thrown his way. Was taken high and with high expectations. Had a good play every 5 games...Never panned out and now is out of the league. This is Randall or Rollins mark my words. We will revisit this in a few seasons. When one or both is gone. So I can say I told you so !! to everyone calling it a slump? or because of injuries? that they stink lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Look man Rollins sucks...I'm not going to *****foot around it anymore. I just think he reminds me of to much of Ahmad Carrol Remember him? Scared to death when you saw a pass thrown his way. Was taken high and with high expectations. Had a good play every 5 games...Never panned out and now is out of the league. This is Randall or Rollins mark my words. We will revisit this in a few seasons. When one or both is gone. So I can say I told you so !! to everyone calling it a slump? or because of injuries? that they stink lol
Can we re visit Adams?! Wait already did lol

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps, but are you prepared to admit you were wrong if one or both of them turn out to be decent corners in the league?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't some things just be bad luck? Nick Collins wasn't a bust but bad luck shortened his career; you don't think this defense would be better if Collins was still back there? It's football, guys get hurt. It's not necessarily anyone's fault.

Not sure a 33 year old DB would necessarily help this defense.

One of the knocks on TT is how long it takes him to fix a position, ala the position of safety (ILB, TE, etc.)

Are we not now supposed to critique Packer players or staff if luck enters in?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps, but are you prepared to admit you were wrong if one or both of them turn out to be decent corners in the league?

Decent meaning what? That neither ever makes the pro bowl, and become journeymen once they leave GB? BUT BOTH PLAY INTO THEIR 30's for numerous teams decent?? lol sure Haha

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decent meaning what? That neither ever makes the pro bowl, and become journeymen once they leave GB? BUT BOTH PLAY INTO THEIR 30's for numerous teams decent?? lol sure Haha
Sounds to me like you expect every draft choice to become an all pro or else they are a bust....

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can't play outside, but he was really good in the slot last year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only saw a handful of Heyward plays this season; some he looked good, others I saw the same problems that got him out of town and signing a 2nd tier deal in San Diego. Anyone see more? How many of those league leading INT's were great plays, or garbage gimmes like HHCD?

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love HaHa. Like his abilities around the line of scrimmage, like his tackling and I like his personality (seems to me to be a team player). My one knock on him is he does not seem to commit early enough to help the cornerbacks on deep throws and yes, that is important. He should have more ints and break up more of those deep passes. I hope he learns how and when to commit to be able to do that. Still, I think he is very valuable to the team.
Its not he doesn't commit early enough, haha just doesn't have that sideline to sideline speed and that's why a lot of our DBs get hit with the deep ball. Mostly all of haha interceptions been on over throws. Example on that deep pass when we played the Vikings to Adam Thielen did you see how bad his angle was, he was no where near making the play it was so bad he ran into the db that was running 3 yards behind theielen. Haha is a hard hitter but for some reason have been arm tackling, he need to start laying fools out and making these wr's be punished for catching the ball.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didnt answer my question man. But I do expect high draft picks to perform like high draft picks. Shame on me I guess.
I think I answered it by implication, but if you prefer the more direct approach.... Decent to me would be having a solid career with one or two teams. They would not need to make the pro bowl, but would need to get to a point where their team could count on them in most situations. I would place Micah Hyde in this category. I realize Randall was a first round pick and because of this I would expect more from him... he should at least be in the pro bowl conversation. Rollins as a second rounder... I would expect slightly less.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it you mean Rollins? Because Randall can't seem to play on the outside either.
Yeah, I was talking about Rollins.

Randall was good his rookie year and was amazing in the opener this season. I really think he hurt his groin at the end of that game or in the Minny game because it's (clearly) been all downhill from then. He hasn't been healthy at all this year.

I personally think he needs to work harder and fix his attitude too. I'm not giving up on him though, I really think there's potential here for a star/ball hawk.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
funny seeing you guys make excuses for randall and rollins, AJ hawk made a career off of developing lol. When your bad you are bad. People use adams as an excuse, difference is jordy is back adams still missing balls just like he did last year. His problem was never beating man 2 man it was him catching the ball. Just like randall that first game he had help from safety because sam was playing man up on the other side. when you have safety help you can play more freely. These two are slow as hell and they lack the toughness they cant tackle and they cant press. Teams barely throw it to the RBs and the TEs because its so easy to throw on rollins and randall.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I answered it by implication, but if you prefer the more direct approach.... Decent to me would be having a solid career with one or two teams. They would not need to make the pro bowl, but would need to get to a point where their team could count on them in most situations. I would place Micah Hyde in this category. I realize Randall was a first round pick and because of this I would expect more from him... he should at least be in the pro bowl conversation. Rollins as a second rounder... I would expect slightly less.

I understand what you're saying. But when I see guys like Marcus Peters, Kevin Johnson, Byron Jones, and Landon Collins either all playing good football for their respective teams or in the pro bowl? and than Randall In This "sophomore slump" it makes me wonder. All these guys are from the same draft class and also rd 1 picks. Collins came 2 picks after Randall btw.