Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda forgot about Davis and maybe they do keep him but I dont think hes very good. My bet would be they try to trade him to get more draft capital and if they cant they release him to realize 10.5 m in cap savings
Corey Davis can still be a WR2 if he can stay healthy, but not worth $12.5Mil/yr ($11.2Mil cap# in '23). I'd be OK with GB having him as a veteran presence for $7-$7.5Mil/yr average. Very good blocker, good hands... just need to keep him available for more than 11games/season (last 2 yrs average).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corey Davis can still be a WR2 if he can stay healthy, but not worth $12.5Mil/yr ($11.2Mil cap# in '23). I'd be OK with GB having him as a veteran presence for $7-$7.5Mil/yr average. Very good blocker, good hands... just need to keep him available for more than 11games/season (last 2 yrs average).

If he is back in the trade I could see a redone done two or three year deal that may average like $10M/year max but really would be a two year deal of like $10M guaranteed....

2023 $6.5M hit
2024 $8M hit
2025 $15.5M hit

Only $10M guaranteed...so after two years free and clear and could be cut after 2023 for some savings too if needed.

Reaction score
I agree that the chances are extremely high that Rodgers will play for the Jets next season but there's a small chance it won't happen.

Yes, the Packers could trade Rodgers at the deadline. But it would be difficult to make it work regarding the cap. There are two possible scenarios for the Packers to approach it.

The first one would have them pay Rodgers the option bonus of $58.3 million and prorate it over the next four years as the contract is currently structured. If they end up trading him at the deadline that wouldn't increase the cap hit for the 2023 season. But, it would result in a total of $68.2 million of dead money for '24. They might be able to acquire a lot in return as Rodgers would only count $617,000 against the cap of a team trading for him for the rest of the season.

The second option would be to not exercise the option bonus which would result in it being converted to his base salary. That would immediately increase his cap hit for the 2023 season by $43.725 million. It's hard to imagine the Packers could pull that off. But it would benefit them by trading him at the deadline as a team acquiring him would be on the hook for the remaining $31.5 million of his base salary at that point. In addition that would leave the Packers with only $24.5 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2024.
Thank You. Great summary I appreciate it.

Reaction score
After a trade to Jets, Rodgers is asked about the team signing free agent wide receivers in Lazard and Hardman despite already having some talent at the position: "Would have been amazing to have seen that in Green Bay. Next question."
If they go out and sign OBJ, he’ll have the best Offensive Roster he’s had since 2010-2011 area and lots of speed.

Mecole Hardman, Allen Lazard, Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Malik Taylor, Denzel Mims, Irvin Charles, Dionte Spencer,
Breece Hall, Tyler Conklin

Will they make room for OBJ jr.??
Corey Davis would be the most likely cut at $10.5M cap savings.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s a top 25 area WR when healthy., big WHEN
Maybe not a game changer, but a Strong WR2. He’s a sliver above Lazard

I think youre over estimating him a bit. Hes never had a 1000 yard season. His best year 65 for 984 and 5 yds is good but not great for a #2.

Hes a 35 catches for 500 yards and 3 tds kinds guy and idk about you but thats not what I hope for out of a # 2. I hope for 1200 out of the wr1 and something approaching 1000 for the wr2

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same player? I said OBJ Jr.

Which player are you referring to with this reply?
I think youre over estimating him a bit. Hes never had a 1000 yard season. His best year 65 for 984 and 5 yds is good but not great for a #2.

Hes a 35 catches for 500 yards and 3 tds kinds guy and idk about you but thats not what I hope for out of a # 2. I hope for 1200 out of the wr1 and something approaching 1000 for the wr2

OBJ has had 8 seasons in the league
Has had 5 1,000 yard seasons in those
2017 he only played 4 games and had 302 yards and 3 TDs
2021 was the ONLY year of his career that he saw 10 games or more and didn't put up 1,000 yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Under 10 mill..I even heard 6 mill
At $6M, he would be worth it.

Not really sure I want the Packers to invest in him or really any vet WR's. 2023 is going to be a learning curve for Love. I would like to see him develop with Watson, Doubs, Toure and another Round 1-3 rookie.

D

Deleted member 6794

Love it, and I don't entirely disagree with it - however I don't see the two things interchangeable merely because player acquisitioning or prospect drafting still is conducted with the sole purpose of a better team...not coming to off season workouts is just only negative IMO.

Gutekunst not adequately addressing the wide receiver position had a larger negative impact on the Packers than Rodgers not showing up for OTAs though.

Hardman and lazard are the exact type of wrs that Rodgers has had. Incomplete wrs. Hardman has topped 5 catches in a game 3 times in his 4 years playing with arguably the best QB in football. His is nice depth but not a proven wr. Lazard is a great blocker and a dependable wr who cannot separate. A solid number 3 wr.

@captainWIMM to be fair @bigbubbatd does have a point. Now if the Jets go get OBJ I think there is some validity there.

I expect the Jets to add a #2 wide receiver either via free agency or the draft this offseason. If they make it work the corps will be much improved over the Packers' one last season.

They also have Garret Wilson as their wr1 and are rumored to be signing OBJ as wr2. So yeah you got Lazard as 3. Cobb as 4 and Hardman as 5. Thats a pretty good veteran room. And who knows they might add a guy in the draft too

I highly doubt the Jets are interested in signing Cobb.

According to PFF Davis struggled blocking for the run last season. In addition he has had a higher percentage of drops since joining the Jets (12.0%) compared to his tenure with the Titans (5.6%).

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Jets are interested in signing Cobb.

Well...I guess we figured out what the hold up on the trade going through is then.

Cobb has stated publicly he intends to play. Rodgers has stated he wants to play with Cobb. We all saw how they walked off the field at Lambeau last year.

Cobb will be a Jet for the 2023 season

I suspect they sign OBJ and Cobb as well as draft one. While trading/releasing Davis and Mims

That gives them a solid depth chart
1.Garret Wilson
2. OBJ
3. Allen Lazard
4/5 Hardman/Cobb
6. Draft Pick

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big bubba IMO Hardman & Lazard compliment each other well. Lazard with his blocking & receptions for 1st downs. Hardman can be used in the running game and makes splash plays. IMO when evaluating Hardman you brought up his low number of catches per game. IMO playing all but last season with both Kelce & Ty Hill just may have had something to do with that. IMO.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big bubba IMO Hardman & Lazard compliment each other well. Lazard with his blocking & receptions for 1st downs. Hardman can be used in the running game and makes splash plays. IMO when evaluating Hardman you brought up his low number of catches per game. IMO playing all but last season with both Kelce & Ty Hill just may have had something to do with that. IMO.
I was like say the chiefs also didn't trust hardman going into last season. They signed two new wrs and drafted Moore. Then they didn't commit to him this year. Seems like they didn't view him as a key piece

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but they also let JUJU walk and feel they have found something in Toney who is a very similar player on a rookie deal. As far as the free agent signings and draft pick last year those were hoping to make up for the loss of Tyreek. IMO.

Reaction score
Well...I guess we figured out what the hold up on the trade going through is then.

Cobb has stated publicly he intends to play. Rodgers has stated he wants to play with Cobb. We all saw how they walked off the field at Lambeau last year.

Cobb will be a Jet for the 2023 season

I suspect they sign OBJ and Cobb as well as draft one. While trading/releasing Davis and Mims

That gives them a solid depth chart
1.Garret Wilson
2. OBJ
3. Allen Lazard
4/5 Hardman/Cobb
6. Draft Pick
I see Cobb in NY also. It’s time to break up Spanky’s Club house
(GB Chapter)
Corey Davis recent production isn’t very far from Randall Cobb area. Plus Cobb would immediately fit that system from GO.

If I were the Jets I’d shop Davis for another veteran player OR try to get a draft pick. By swapping values for Cobb the Jets would cut $10.5m off their books (less Cobbs contract). That $$ is about a 2yr deal on Cobb.

It was rumored weeks ago that the Jets have already established a verbal contract offer with Cobb, but nothings official until it is.

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK I don’t follow that closely. I basically check the ESPN feed. Do we really KNOW that this deal is hung up right now? Couldn’t it be that the framework for a deal is in place but not being announced while Aarrogant’s deal is reworked? There’s really no rush on either party to announce is there? Obviously the draft, but thats a month away. I could still see players, 2024 picks and a post June 1 deal. Could it be we’re being alerted to a whole lotta smoke here that is really just nothing more than the morning fog hasn’t burnt off yet?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hardmans not a key piece hes a 4 or 5 on a really good team that can add a dimension
Agree, but he might have been a #1 last year in Green Bay. It will be interesting to see who gets more reps, him or Lazard. If the trade for Rodgers works out for the Jets, I assume it will be Lazard. Hardman is a guy that could have a big year on the right team. He definitely was overshadowed last year in KC with the plethora of WR options Mahomes had.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well....appears this is how the meetings are going?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, but he might have been a #1 last year in Green Bay. It will be interesting to see who gets more reps, him or Lazard. If the trade for Rodgers works out for the Jets, I assume it will be Lazard. Hardman is a guy that could have a big year on the right team. He definitely was overshadowed last year in KC with the plethora of WR options Mahomes had.
To be over shadowed by that wr group is sort of an indictment isn't it? Juju, MVS, toney. No one really impressive at all outside of their all world right end.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be over shadowed by that wr group is sort of an indictment isn't it? Juju, MVS, toney. No one really impressive at all outside of their all world right end.
Not really, Hardman was placed on injured reserve on Nov 17th and only played in 8 games. Also, yes Kelce is a big time factor in the stats of Hardman as well.

Kelce: 1338 yds
JuJu: 933 yds
MVS: 687 yds
Watson: 313 yds
Gray (TE #@): 299 yds
Sky Moore: 250 yds
Toney 171 yds
3 RB's: 793 yds

Pretty much explains why Hardman had only 34 targets, 25 catches and 297 yds. Mahomes and the Chiefs know how to spread the ball around and they had plenty of weapons to do it.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts