Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to disagree with you here. How was his timing with the Love selection proven to be wrong? By hindsight? Here we are, 3 straight off seasons of Rodgers waffling on what he wants to do and now its trade time, how's that for hindsight?

Rodgers was what 36, the age when most football players are done, when Love was drafted. He was coming off of some seasons with injuries and appearing to slow down. About the same time that TT drafted Favre's predecessor and that seemed to work out.

Anyway, no matter how you look at the "should they or shouldn't they have drafted Love", it comes back to Rodgers reaction to that pick. If you are one that believes it was the catalyst for all his dramatic behavior, I might agree with you, but did he act appropriately? A man getting paid over a kings ransom, is going to pout about a QB being drafted? A man that wins back to back MVP's after Love was drafted, proving he can still play, is still going to fuel his resentment in other ways? Sure, the Love pick might have been Rodgers tripping point, but it didn't have to be, he let it be.

My opinion it wasn't until Love selection Rodgers started behaving like a child and waffling - not saying he was justified for that but clearly he wasn't done and excelled then. Just see it as a decision management made because they thought they had a declining QB and while they may have it wasn't then and was proven not the case for at minimum two more seasons.

Holding that opinion doesn't mean I don't understand why they selected him, but it is the MASSIVE push of the snowball that starting building this whole thing up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being spot on with the pick would have meant Rodgers went down and love stepped in and kept the ball rolling. As it stood, we had another NFCCG appearance, a year in which our special teams failed us big time and another offensive weapon would have helped or Olineman and a couple MVP years in between that spot on pick.

I've always maintained the pick of love will be measured by how he does whenever he gets the chance to do it. If he's good, they were right, if he's not, they were wrong. But never would I claim they were "spot on" with the pick. we're 3 years removed from needing help at plenty of other positions and that was an opportunity to tilt one of those games in our favor when we were so very close to the ultimate goal. It might end up a good pick, hardly a spot on pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Holding that opinion doesn't mean I don't understand why they selected him, but it is the MASSIVE push of the snowball that starting building this whole thing up.
Again, I don't disagree with this, what I do disagree with is using the hind sight of Rodgers MVP's and actions AFTER Love was drafted, as saying it was a mistake to draft Love. I also don't agree with the idea that Rodgers was justified in allowing the pick to create this huge wedge between him and the organization. It was a football decision and exactly all the things it was based on, we may never know. Like you followed up with, maybe Gute and Co. knew a lot more about Rodgers than you and I knew. Afterall, things were happening that Rodgers wasn't happy about BEFORE Love was drafted. Maybe the Love selection finally made Rodgers snap and put him in a place where he was never coming fully back from. I would call that the personality of a pretty weak minded individual, that only thinks about himself, despite what he tries to project about himself.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree - his timing with Love selection was proven to have been wrong. Doesn't mean the Love selection does work out to the benefit of the team, but picking Love started this whole spiraling of everything - to me that is one of the only non-debatable things about this whole drama which has ensued.
AR wanted another weapon drafted in '20 rather than his eventual replacement. I don't consider the Love pick to be "wrong"... he was a 21 year old round 1/2 guy that fell into the 20's so Gute went to get him.
- '20 QB's available after round 1: Jalen Hurts (Saban benched him in Alabama for Tua), Jacob Eason, Jake Fromm, Jake Luton, Cole McDonald, Ben DiNucci.

A rookie WR may or may not have gotten GB past TB in '21, regardless Gute was picking at 29-32 in '21's draft.
- '21 QB's available after that spot: Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond, Davis Mills, Ian Book.

A 2nd year 1st round WR in '20 might be on the way to being a stud in '22, assuming GB picking towards back of round 1, again.
- '22 QB's available: Des Ridder, Malik Willis, Sam Howell, Chris Oladokun.

Hindsight is 20/20, maybe Tee Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool or Van Jefferson would've resulted in a SB in '21 or '22 AND kept AR's undies not in a bunch? Right now GB has a 3-yr-coached-up QB ready to go and (hopefully) ready to become our 3rd HOF'r QB in a row? AR learned nothing from his ascension to starter back in '08 and is helping create the same drama as when Favre left.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
AR wanted another weapon drafted in '20 rather than his eventual replacement. I don't consider the Love pick to be "wrong"... he was a 21 year old round 1/2 guy that fell into the 20's so Gute went to get him.
- '20 QB's available after round 1: Jalen Hurts (Saban benched him in Alabama for Tua), Jacob Eason, Jake Fromm, Jake Luton, Cole McDonald, Ben DiNucci.

A rookie WR may or may not have gotten GB past TB in '21, regardless Gute was picking at 29-32 in '21's draft.
- '21 QB's available after that spot: Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond, Davis Mills, Ian Book.

A 2nd year 1st round WR in '20 might be on the way to being a stud in '22, assuming GB picking towards back of round 1, again.
- '22 QB's available: Des Ridder, Malik Willis, Sam Howell, Chris Oladokun.

Hindsight is 20/20, maybe Tee Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool or Van Jefferson would've resulted in a SB in '21 or '22 AND kept AR's undies not in a bunch? Right now GB has a 3-yr-coached-up QB ready to go and (hopefully) ready to become our 3rd HOF'r QB in a row? AR learned nothing from his ascension to starter back in '08 and is helping create the same drama as when Favre left.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's silly to say that Aaron didn't turn heel until the Love pick. He has shared how disgruntled he was about Jordys departure, along with other players well before Love. Also, are we all just going to dismiss/forget the end of the Mike McCarthy era and Aaron's hand in that?

I would say that in part, this started the last full year with MM, and has just escalated since then. Aaron saw he had a platform, and started using it to air his grievances over every little thing he disagreed with. Some might say he himself through these actions led the organization to look at his replacement sooner than they otherwise may have. If we are hearing his grumblings, chances are great he was letting the leadership know well before he was telling them to the Media.

The truth is, Aaron has a different way he wanted to see the team ran, be that drafting, trading or free agency. The team (rightfully) wasn't allowing him to dictate those things to them. Then, the 2021 draft came around, and he realized that by openly fighting in the press, the team started appeasing him. So, like any petulant child when bad behavior is rewarded, he continued and escalated the behavior. The team cow towed to it for a time, until it became no longer tenable.

Which brings us to present day. We could have prevented this by just not having to his demands at the onset.

So if there is anything to blame the front office for, it's that. Allowing Aaron to have the additional input has not helped this team. It has driven it off a cliff.

I will always enjoy his time here, and wish him well, but as with Favre, I'm ready to be done with this circus.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The shift the Love selection caused is clear - Rodgers went from behind closed doors and face to faces to more outwardly expressing his hinted thoughts and opinions through well crafted wording. I don't think anyone is ignorant enough to believe Rodgers never disagreed with GB until that moment Love's name was called, it however changed the entire way and manner in which Rodgers started talking to folks IMO and it seems many others (on both sides of the whose right fence) would agree.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree - his timing with Love selection was proven to have been wrong. Doesn't mean the Love selection does work out to the benefit of the team, but picking Love started this whole spiraling of everything - to me that is one of the only non-debatable things about this whole drama which has ensued. Doesn't change the childish antics many of us feel Rodgers started doing then and through now, but regardless of that picking Love when we did was a year or two too early and I'm comfortable saying that and still also wanting Rodgers gone like two years ago.

It wasnt just selecting Love. It was doing it without a heads up. Once again theres a right way to do things and a wrong way, specifically when interacting with other human beings

People can say all they want Rodgers works for them, the FO is above him and owes him no heads up, etc etc. If one truly believes thats the right way to interact then I feel great saddness for that individual.

I don't think anyone has questioned just how good of a QB he has been for the Packers. Which is what some fans seem to want to make it out to be, because it is an "argument" that they can win. You are right though, he is into himself, which in a team game, isn't the best approach. Oh I know he cares about some teammates, I'm not going to win that debate either. What he doesn't seem to care about is the franchise and the people "above him", that are paid to make all the decisions.

The Rodgers apologists are spinning on their heads now, trying to figure out a way to redirect the narrative and put the blame back on the Packers or quickly try to **** on the fire by saying "it doesn't matter, move on." Actually, it does matter a whole lot, Rodgers is the one throwing the mud, in his Rodgers kind of way. Gute is just trying to clear the air, after all, he does have a team to run and part of doing that is job is PR, for the fans and players, both past, current and future.

Rodgers and others still seem upset about the Love draft pick, saying it was a wasted pick and it was what started this ball rolling down hill with Rodgers. Actually, Rodgers chose to create that ball and jump on it, as did some fans. Turns out, Gute was spot on in the need for Love and we will find out in 2023 if the scouts were too.

Its clear this narrative the Packers PR department has chosen to go with is aimed at clearing the team from blame. While firmly placing that blame on Rodgers shoulders.

Its also clear the narrative Rodgers has chosen to go with is aimed at clearing himself from blame and placing it on the shoulders of the Packers.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Do I think the Packers wanted to move on from Rodgers, yes. Do I think they were transparent about that? No. Do I think Rodgers need for time to think was based on a real need to ponder the decision or a desire to feel wanted? A desire to feel wanted 100%

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasnt just selecting Love. It was doing it without a heads up. Once again theres a right way to do things and a wrong way, specifically when interacting with other human beings

People can say all they want Rodgers works for them, the FO is above him and owes him no heads up, etc etc. If one truly believes thats the right way to interact then I feel great saddness for that individual.

Agree that is another piece beyond just picking Love that is for sure a factor and I agree.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The shift the Love selection caused is clear - Rodgers went from behind closed doors and face to faces to more outwardly expressing his hinted thoughts and opinions through well crafted wording. I don't think anyone is ignorant enough to believe Rodgers never disagreed with GB until that moment Love's name was called, it however changed the entire way and manner in which Rodgers started talking to folks IMO and it seems many others (on both sides of the whose right fence) would agree.
I don't think many will deny that the Love selection gave Rodgers what he thought was amo, to start taking potshots at the FO publicly. However, was Rodgers justified in his behaviors? Did Favre throw a hissy fit when Rodgers himself was drafted? Did Lazard and Cobb go off the rails when Watson, Doubs and Toure were drafted last year?

Rodgers is/was paid millions of dollars to be the Packers QB, not its GM or coach. The fact that he has reacted with passive aggressive negativity to things those above him have done and subsequently put himself, a first ballot HOF'er on the trading block, tells you a lot. Rodgers isn't being traded because his skills have declined, Rodgers isn't being traded because the Packers have a sure thing in Love. Rodgers is being traded, because the Packers have finally grown tired of his crap.

As far as his crap being behind closed doors before Love was picked and put in front of the doors after the selection, do you see either situations as healthy for the Packers? Had Love not been selected, do you think Rodgers has back to back MVP years? Do you think his crap behind closed doors goes away or at least isn't triggered by another front office decision?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Really? I have never heard of a team contacting players during the draft and saying "just a heads up dude, we are drafting a player that plays the same position as you, but don't worry, you are still our number 1 enchilada!:" No wonder Adams wanted out!!! I bet nobody contacted him about all the WR's that were drafted or signed while he was a Packer and a top WR in the league! How dare them!

Please don't come back with "Well, Rodgers earned being pacified by a heads up about Love being selected." If you believe that, I feel great sadness for you.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think many will deny that the Love selection gave Rodgers what he thought was amo, to start taking potshots at the FO publicly. However, was Rodgers justified in his behaviors? Did Favre throw a hissy fit when Rodgers himself was drafted? Did Lazard and Cobb go off the rails when Watson, Doubs and Toure were drafted last year?

Rodgers is/was paid millions of dollars to be the Packers QB, not its GM or coach. The fact that he has reacted with passive aggressive negativity to things those above him have done and subsequently put himself, a first ballot HOF'er on the trading block, tells you a lot. Rodgers isn't being traded because his skills have declined, Rodgers isn't being traded because the Packers have a sure thing in Love. Rodgers is being traded, because the Packers have finally grown tired of his crap.

As far as his crap being behind closed doors before Love was picked and put in front of the doors after the selection, do you see either situations as healthy for the Packers? Had Love not been selected, do you think Rodgers has back to back MVP years? Do you think his crap behind closed doors goes away or at least isn't triggered by another front office decision?

It isn't and either or type thing for me, I stated multiple things which both can be true. Rodgers is a narcissist and attention ***** that is excellent at crafting his words for shots but able to claim they weren't then. The organization grossly mishandled him with the Love selection and triggered everything. Both things are 100% facts IMO. It isn't a one or the other, both true and both to blame.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The organization grossly mishandled him with the Love selection and triggered everything.
I guess one can also say that Rodgers grossly mishandled a typical football decision, a decision we see made all the time, in many sports. Spinning that after the fact and using Rodgers negative reaction to it, to place the blame on the organization, is exactly what Rodgers goal seems to have been. He is very good with mind games and manipulation. Hell, I love how he can get free plays all the time, because he is a master at the LOS and the chess game that he plays with defenses and DC's, that is something I will always remember about him.

Where would we be if Rodgers had just gone about his business, as the highest paid player in the NFL, you know, to play football?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess one can also say that Rodgers grossly mishandled a typical football decision, a decision we see made all the time, in many sports. Spinning that after the fact and using Rodgers negative reaction to it, to place the blame on the organization, is exactly what Rodgers goal seems to have been. He is very good with mind games and manipulation. Hell, I love how he can get free plays all the time, because he is a master at the LOS and the chess game that he plays with defenses and DC's, that is something I will always remember about him.

Where would we be if Rodgers had just gone about his business, as the highest paid player in the NFL, you know, to play football?

Again both truths can coexist.

Reaction score
Of course the Packers would be bluffing if there's no other team interested in trading for Rodgers before the draft. The Jets could easily call it.
And GB would be in the same position they were in last January. They’d have 2 QB’s to choose from. It’s not ideal, buts it’s better than NO good QB!

The Jets would be in a Win now mode with a substandard QB. If I’m a Jets fan I’d be elated for the chance to have Rodgers and this deal would be done. Id offer two Seconds for a GB #116, plus Aaron. Then if Aaron plays in 2024 and Joe’s postseason, I’d give back a 2025 2nd Rounder. I’m pretty sure the Packers would take that deal. NY negotiate like it’s New Delhi. I was married for 17 years to a girl born on Long Island, so I know a thing or two about that culture. They love to negotiate it’s just in their DNA. This is fun to them abs they just want to feel like they’ve Won, I respect that.

Forget about leverage and all that junk talk. If Aaron Rodgers was already the Jets QB and you were poised to compete on a Championship level in Week 1-2 of season. If Aaron Rodgers went down. Would you trade #42,#43 picks to get him back instantly healthy?
Then why in the world wouldn’t you do that here?
I'm convinced Rodgers would play if the Packers asked him to but there's absolutely no doubt it would be an awkward situation.

Sure. But It’s been awkward since 2020 imo. That won’t stop him from playing if he’s kept 1 more season. It’s not inconceivable anyway. Although I think GB will bend a little before putting him in that position. I truly feel the Packers want to work with him but he’s very difficult because he feels disrespected.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again both truths can coexist.
Again, using mostly hind sight, both truths can exist. However, IMO, Rodgers chose the path that both he and team eventually took after Love was drafted.

The Patriots drafted 10 QB's while Brady was their starting QB, might have ruffled his feathers some, but never seemed to be a big issue in New England.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the time and now I absolutely hated that Draft. Love in round 1 was awful, Dillon in round 2 was bad & Deguara in round 3 was almost as bad as Love in round 1. As the Rodgers drama unfolded I hoped they were right about Love. Dillon showed signs of being really good and the regressed last year IMO. The Deguara pick has actually gotten worse over time IMO. Fast forward to this off season. I am a GB Packer fan. To me that means I want them to win every game they play. If my believing AR still gives them the best chance to win, and that makes me a Rodgers apologist, well I will not apologize for that.
You like to play the mis-understood card, yet you actually believe you know what other posters think. You can't hear a posters tone, see their expressions or read their body language so IMO it is best to keep the assumptions to a minimum IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, using mostly hind sight, both truths can exist. However, IMO, Rodgers chose the path that both he and team eventually took after Love was drafted.

The Patriots drafted 10 QB's while Brady was their starting QB, might have ruffled his feathers some, but never seemed to be a big issue in New England.
the moment they drafted a player Brady felt threatened by he went to the owner had BB overruled and had Jimmy G traded according to reports. I wouldn't say it wasn't an issue LOL

Reaction score

I think we can all agree. Winning fixes a bunch of hurts.

Reaction score
You like to play the mis-understood card, yet you actually believe you know what other posters think. You can't hear a posters tone, see their expressions or read their body language so IMO it is best to keep the assumptions to a minimum IMO
But you’ve done that through your own actions to others, myself included. Schultz, The only thing we have is words, but eventually enough words can put together a story over extensive time.

I do agree with you maybe more in a singular post. But once you get the context of years of posts, I think you can accurately deduce a great deal about someone’s writing. Profiling is an art and our personality surfaces through thousands of words. Killers have been caught by sentence structure on notes they’ve left behind and through profiling, so saying you can’t get a picture by words is just plain false

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still maintain that COVID, in some part, impacted the Love/Dillon draft picks. A few weeks into the pandemic it was unknown what would happen with the 2020 season. No 2020 season means no college season and a 2021 draft with players that have no tape on them since 2019.

No season meant no revenue. You go into 2021 with an even more massively reduced cap than what happened and a potential need to shed finances. An aging QB with a large contract and a RB that was due to be a FA would have seen like the 2 most likely candidates to reduce salary. Insert Love and Dillon.

I don't think any GM would comment on 'what ifs', but how would 2020 work out had to be in the back of their minds.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you’ve done that through your own actions to others, myself included. Schultz, The only thing we have is words, but eventually enough words can put together a story over extensive time.

I do agree with you maybe more in a singular post. But once you get the context of years of posts, I think you can accurately deduce a great deal about someone’s writing. Profiling is an art and our personality surfaces through thousands of words. Killers have been caught by sentence structure on notes they’ve left behind and through profiling, so saying you can’t get a picture by words is just plain false
Absolutely no doubt I am guilty of this. Guilty as charged. My point is many of my posts are in sarcasm mode. There is no sarcasm button here. When they are taken out of context I have neither the time nor inclination to explain them.

Staff online

Latest posts