Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tua is a concussion away from being out of the league...the Dolphins could absolutely have been one of the teams Rodgers implied were interested along with the Raiders and Jets.
There is a deal on the table from the Jets that is hella tempting. And I heard that Aaron don’t really want to play for the Jets, that’s like his second choice. His first choice was Miami, but then they picked up Tua’s fifth year option,”Wiley said on his ‘More to it’ podcast.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Was this Rodgers last time out of the tunnel and on Lambeau Field, at least in a Packer uniform?
Was scrolling through old pics, forgot about these.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yes you're correct its unlikely it happens before the season. But it could easily happen in the first game. The Dolphins owner is a big splash guy and getting Rodgers is exactly the kind of move he covets. A team with playoff aspirations counting on a guy who is very likely to be out of the league the next big hit he takes, doesnt seem like a good idea to me

But once again that ship has sailed, Rodgers is playing for the Jets and thats that. The time for trading him somewhere else was a couple weeks ago. And if its true he wanted to go to the Raiders but the Packers would only grant him permission to speak to the Jets...Smh thats just another move by the FO that just doesn't add up

I don't think the Dolphins were interested in trading for Rodgers at any point this offseason as it was pretty clear they would exercise the fifth-year option on Tagovailoa. While it's possible they will be in the market for a quarterback pretty fast after the start of next season it's all but guaranteed Rodgers won't be available at that point anymore.

As a side note, as long as the trade hasn't been agreed to it's not guaranteed Rodgers will end up playing for the Jets next season.

It's so funny to me anymore when hearing folks discuss the factors each side has for why they feel he is or isn't worth what they think:

I see all of this as facts myself:

Negative Things Lowering His Value:
-Has stopped coming to off season items/practices unless mandatory
-The Covid PR stuff
-His perspectives/passive aggressive nature on things

I highly doubt any of those reasons listed above have lessened his value in a trade.

Positive: He keeps himself in great shape. He could play at a relatively high level, for as long as Tom Brady.

Wait a moment, so you don't believe Bob McGinn anymore who mentioned Rodgers showed up out of shape for camp last year?

Just guessing, but this is the part that might be holding up the trade. The Packers are wanting compensation if Rodgers plays beyond 1 season. The Jets might be only willing to give the compensation for a guy that might be 1 and done.

So his availability and non-committal beyond a season is a good and bad thing for the Jets.

The Packers and Jets could agree on conditional picks based on if Rodgers plays in 2024 as well. I don't see that as a valid reason to hold up the trade.

Would the Jets reconsider and go after Stafford? I doubt he is even tradable now that these 2 things kicked in for him:
  • 2023 Option Bonus: $26M (must be exercised 3/15/23 - 3/17/2023, injury guaranteed at sign)
  • 2024 salary fully guarantees 3/17/2023 (injury guaranteed at sign)

There's no way the Rams could afford to trade Stafford after exercising his option. The move would result in a total of $74 million of dead money counting against their cap either this season or spread out over the next two years.

Let's put it this way, I think everyone would be SHOCKED, if the Packers weren't doing what was reported that they were doing, accepting trade offers from any AFC team.

Why on earth would the Packers not trade Rodgers to an NFC team if one of them offered a better deal? That would be extremely stupid.

Like I said though, both are proven vets and capable that are not going to steal growth or reps from our young growth types. Yes of course neither is coming unless reworked deals which honestly BOTH of them are MASSIVE savings to the cap and SHOCKED Jets haven't cut or reworked. Those two alone are worth a savings of over $23M

The Jets don't lose anything by waiting to either restructure those deals or cut one of the players at this point.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing is ever guaranteed, life isn't fair, and nothing lasts forever but Rodgers will play for the Jets next season and they will be a very good team. And its possible for very good teams to get hot and win a SB becoming a great team

I simply cannot imagine that Rodgers would tell Lazard to sign with the Jets to play with him and then not make it happen. Rodgers can simply refuse to play for any other team. Follow even further in Favres footsteps and show up at just prior to the date his bonus has to be paid, in Woody Johnsons private plane.

Forcing the Packers to either have the cap space to hold him on the roster as the backup and the biggest distraction to an NFL football team all time. Im quite sure an angry Rodgers is much worse than an angry Favre. Now you have 2008 all over again but worse and its very clear thats what they are desperately trying to avoid

The Jets are already saying they dont care if he doesnt get there til when they got Favre. Rodgers already knows the plays etc. And to be honest there is nothing stopping him from working out with his jets wrs on his own time

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nothing is ever guaranteed, life isn't fair, and nothing lasts forever but Rodgers will play for the Jets next season and they will be a very good team. And its possible for very good teams to get hot and win a SB becoming a great team

I simply cannot imagine that Rodgers would tell Lazard to sign with the Jets to play with him and then not make it happen. Rodgers can simply refuse to play for any other team. Follow even further in Favres footsteps and show up at just prior to the date his bonus has to be paid, in Woody Johnsons private plane.

Forcing the Packers to either have the cap space to hold him on the roster as the backup and the biggest distraction to an NFL football team all time. Im quite sure an angry Rodgers is much worse than an angry Favre. Now you have 2008 all over again but worse and its very clear thats what they are desperately trying to avoid

The Jets are already saying they dont care if he doesnt get there til when they got Favre. Rodgers already knows the plays etc. And to be honest there is nothing stopping him from working out with his jets wrs on his own time
While I am sure that Lazard appreciates your sentiment, there are no guarantees that Rodgers plays for the Jets. Now if you want to say that the odds of him being a Jet are extremely high, I would buy that. However, there are a lot of variables that could prevent Rodgers from being a Jet. Yes, a few of those variables are within his control, like saying he wouldn't play for another team. The one variable that he does not control, is the Jets going a different direction and pulling out of trade talks.

Last thing, this has turned into a game of chicken for both teams, each waiting for the other one to flinch. The Packers biggest incentive is to get the deal done before opening day to avoid the cap hit. Yeah it would be nice to get this years draft pick(s), knowing its exact value, but if it isn't a #1, I doubt it matters to them much.

Meanwhile, the media is saying what you said, "Jets don't care if Rodgers is there by August." If you really think that is 100% true, I've got some swamp land for sale. The longer this drags out for the Jets, the more impatient the NY media and fans will be. They are also running the risk, that another team jumps in or has their starting QB go down in training camp, off the field, etc., if that happens, watch the bidding for Rodgers services go up. If that happens, maybe they will do Lazard a favor and trade him to Rodgers new team. ;)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Jets don't care if Rodgers is there by August." If you really think that is 100% true, I've got some swamp land for sale.

Haha I know thats not 100% true hence, "theyre saying." But it doesnt matter if its 100% true, the point is they are willing to wait that long if they have to. Its obviously not ideal, theyd like to have him now. But if it saves them all their 2023 draft picks, it seems theyve determined its worth it.

This game of chicken ends with the Packers giving in...unfortunately not the way I would have gone about this at all. Theyve allowed themselves to be painted into a corner. Which is a terrible place to be if you're trying to negotiate.

Youre right the Jets could change their mind and go with Lamar Jackson. They do have other options and theyre used to losing so what's the big deal if they have another sht season. I dont think they want to, but they could. And then what, the Packers are left with a guy they have to pay 60 m that theyve made clear they dont want on the team. I mean Mark "were idoits" Murphy said as much in his so eloquent way of speaking

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
the Packers are left with a guy they have to pay 60 m that theyve made clear they dont want on the team. I mean Mark "were idoits" Murphy said as much in his so eloquent way of speaking
Honestly, I think the FO made their biggest mistake last year, by not trading Rodgers while his value was red hot. Denver wanted him and they probably would have gotten close to what the Seahawks got in a trade. Instead, the Packers hung on to him 1 year too long, Rodgers went into hibernation and now nobody but the Jets want him.

I think Murphy's mistake is commenting on anything relating to football. He is a good PR guy with the business, but leave the football PR to Gute. I'm looking forward to Murphy "retiring" and I wouldn't be surprised if Gute is too (looking forward to). As far as how the whole Packer organization handled the Rodgers situation this offseason, I guess I would ask, what should they have done different to have not ended up in the position they are currently in, keeping in mind that the decision was to go with Love.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the FO made their biggest mistake last year, by not trading Rodgers while his value was red hot. Denver wanted him and they probably would have gotten close to what the Seahawks got in a trade. Instead, the Packers hung on to him 1 year too long, Rodgers went into hibernation and now nobody but the Jets want him.

I think Murphy's mistake is commenting on anything relating to football. He is a good PR guy with the business, but leave the football PR to Gute. I'm looking forward to Murphy "retiring" and I wouldn't be surprised if Gute is too (looking forward to). As far as how the whole Packer organization handled the Rodgers situation this offseason, I guess I would ask, what should they have done different to have not ended up in the position they are currently in, keeping in mind that the decision was to go with Love.

You think Gute is looking forward to Murphy retiring or retiring himself?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree about Murphy as does Gute Im sure, and clearly Rodgers.

This is what they should of done differently...as you say the decision was to go with Love.

I would of went to Rodgers house sparked up a really nice spliff sat down and told him the truth. We love you Aaron but we think Love can be as good as you and we want to give him his shot to prove that this year. But we also want to work with you to get you to a team on which you can be successful, preferably in the Afc but not limited to the Afc. This way maybe you convince Rodgers to not come out publicly and limit the options to one team. Perhaps you even get a bidding war as Rodgers agrees to play for say the Dolphins, Raiders, Jets, or 49ers. Now you get real value and Rodgers feels loved, gets to "control" the situation and you get real value back

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers and GB know exactly where each other stands and reality of situation. Rodgers probably got a bit tired of the media pinning it all on him so he cleared the air. which wasn't much different than what MM did at the girl's state basketball tournament. Personally, I think this is just about the details between picks and players and will get done sooner than later.

I had mentioned the Dolphins as a team I could see him going to. I don't think the Raiders were ever a legit destination. The 9ers have nothing to offer other than players and if they offer players is the team as attractive? I don't think the Jets are as close as others do, but they have capital to trade and a need. I think Rodgers would explode in Miami offensively.

But I think things would have to turn south fast in negotiations for another team to jump into the picture. I think the ones that wanted to, already did.

it's quite the quandry. There isn't a big market for big dollar 40 year old QB's. Just not many teams looking for that.

BUT, for the ones that are, they're worth more than your average QB to go and get. When you have a team that you think is ready, that last critical piece that is the absolute hardest to find is right there to put you over the top? Anway, they wouldn't have gone this far if the Jets and Packers weren't serious about it, so I think it gets done, and sooner than later.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree about Murphy as does Gute Im sure, and clearly Rodgers.

This is what they should of done differently...as you say the decision was to go with Love.

I would of went to Rodgers house sparked up a really nice spliff sat down and told him the truth. We love you Aaron but we think Love can be as good as you and we want to give him his shot to prove that this year. But we also want to work with you to get you to a team on which you can be successful, preferably in the Afc but not limited to the Afc. This way maybe you convince Rodgers to not come out publicly and limit the options to one team. Perhaps you even get a bidding war as Rodgers agrees to play for say the Dolphins, Raiders, Jets, or 49ers. Now you get real value and Rodgers feels loved, gets to "control" the situation and you get real value back
While I think that might have worked last year, for whatever reason(s), Rodgers stuck with the Packers and the Packers stuck with him in 2022. I think they probably all thought, even without Davante, they could compete for a SB. Sadly, they didn't and Rodgers had one of his worst seasons in recent memory.

Rodgers claimed on the Pat M show that he had a feeling all year long that the Packers were moving on with Love in 2023. That didn't surprise me in the least bit, I said the same thing after the Lions game when he refused to swap jersey's with Jameson Williams, claiming that "this one might be special." His gut told him he was done. If that was the truly the case, both the Packers and Rodgers should have had a very serious conversation a week or 2 later. Maybe they did, but nobody wanted to admit it was over for him in GB? If the Packers were moving on, then they should have just told him right away. Maybe they did and Rodgers didn't accept it or wanted time to contemplate retirement or playing for another team. Whatever happened, neither side should have let it get this far along.

My guess and just a guess. Both Rodgers and the Packers knew it was over before the SB. The Packers agreed to slow play it, while Rodgers contemplated retirement or being traded. Meanwhile, the Packers quietly told teams "we are waiting, but if he doesn't retire, we are trading him."

Reaction score
Let me ask something and I’ll fully admit idk if it’s possible? that’s why I’m asking you guys.

As a last ditch effort contingency, say the Jets back out etc.. could Aaron get traded before trade deadline IF another substantial team had their Starter go down etc..???

I’m not implying it’s a best route but more a hypothetical contingency if our back was against the wall?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let me ask something and I’ll fully admit idk if it’s possible? that’s why I’m asking you guys.

As a last ditch effort contingency, say the Jets back out etc.. could Aaron get traded before trade deadline IF another substantial team had their Starter go down etc..???

I’m not implying it’s a best route but more a hypothetical contingency if our back was against the wall?
Yes, he could be traded at anytime between now and the trade deadline. Which hasn't been set yet, but is usually the Tuesday after week 8.

So that is the "good news". Now the bad news is that his guaranteed Option Bonus of $58.3M kicks in if he is on the team week 1. So he could just say "thanks guys, now I think I will retire." Also, I don't exactly know how a trade would impact the cap, but I don't think it would be good.

Bottom line, The Packers really need to have their whole "Cap and roster without Rodgers", figured out before the season starts. Even if it means outright cutting him and hoping another team picks him up and foots parts of his salary.

Reaction score
Yes, he could be traded at anytime between now and the trade deadline. Which hasn't been set yet, but is usually the Tuesday after week 8.

So that is the "good news". Now the bad news is that his guaranteed Option Bonus of $58.3M kicks in if he is on the team week 1. So he could just say "thanks guys, now I think I will retire." Also, I don't exactly know how a trade would impact the cap, but I don't think it would be good.

Bottom line, The Packers really need to have their whole "Cap and roster without Rodgers", figured out before the season starts. Even if it means outright cutting him and hoping another team picks him up and foots parts of his salary.
Thanks.

I know it’s hypothetical I’m just thinking worst case. So we already part with $40.3m either way. Does that mean we eat another $18.0M is that what I’m reading from all this?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks.

I know it’s hypothetical I’m just thinking worst case. So we already part with $40.3m either way. Does that mean we eat another $18.0M is that what I’m reading from all this?
I think some of it would depend on another team signing him and how much they paid him in salary. Basically, the Packers would get back the salary amount paid him, if he played for another team. However, how all the guaranteed and dead cap money gets reported is above my pay grade.

Reaction score
I
I think some of it would depend on another team signing him and how much they paid him in salary. Basically, the Packers would get back the salary amount paid him, if he played for another team. However, how all the guaranteed and dead cap money gets reported is above my pay grade.
I gotcha. I’m trying to figure out where that $40.3mil gets applied is all.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a deal on the table from the Jets that is hella tempting

Maybe the deal is done, but Aaron's not wanting to really go to the Jets and is hoping for another team to jump in so the Packers are holding it up for Aaron for as long as they can.

Conspiracy theory based on absolutely no facts or knowledge whatsoever, but all the cool kids are doing it so... why not.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe the deal is done, but Aaron's not wanting to really go to the Jets and is hoping for another team to jump in so the Packers are holding it up for Aaron for as long as they can.

Conspiracy theory based on absolutely no facts or knowledge whatsoever, but all the cool kids are doing it so... why not.

I think my quote was talking about him going to Miami which if you believe the podcast that is what aar3 wanted

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter king

I think when this story is finished, we’ll see that Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst wanted an all-in Rodgers in March 2023 and knew he wouldn’t get it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter king

I think when this story is finished, we’ll see that Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst wanted an all-in Rodgers in March 2023 and knew he wouldn’t get it.
If that is what Gute was feeling, I trust him to make the decision and it was the right one. Really at this point with everything considered, you'd have to feel very strongly that this year was the year to consider him back and any less it's time to move on.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

However, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero later said that the Packers wanted Rodgers to remain their QB1 for at least another campaign "if he wants to return to Green Bay and as long as he’s fully bought in."

D

Deleted member 6794

Nothing is ever guaranteed, life isn't fair, and nothing lasts forever but Rodgers will play for the Jets next season and they will be a very good team.

I agree that the chances are extremely high that Rodgers will play for the Jets next season but there's a small chance it won't happen.

Yes, the Packers could trade Rodgers at the deadline. But it would be difficult to make it work regarding the cap. There are two possible scenarios for the Packers to approach it.

The first one would have them pay Rodgers the option bonus of $58.3 million and prorate it over the next four years as the contract is currently structured. If they end up trading him at the deadline that wouldn't increase the cap hit for the 2023 season. But, it would result in a total of $68.2 million of dead money for '24. They might be able to acquire a lot in return as Rodgers would only count $617,000 against the cap of a team trading for him for the rest of the season.

The second option would be to not exercise the option bonus which would result in it being converted to his base salary. That would immediately increase his cap hit for the 2023 season by $43.725 million. It's hard to imagine the Packers could pull that off. But it would benefit them by trading him at the deadline as a team acquiring him would be on the hook for the remaining $31.5 million of his base salary at that point. In addition that would leave the Packers with only $24.5 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2024.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For all you that went with "its too early to tell"

Not sure what you mean.

Too early to tell if the Rodgers trade will go through?

Too early to tell if Rodgers ends up retiring?

Too early to tell if Rodgers is traded to another team?

Too early to tell if Rodgers ends up playing for the Packers in 2023?

Too early to tell a lot of things about Rodgers, even when you think you know, he's a complicated fella.

Members online

Latest posts