Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It'll always be Rodgers choice, could some team trade a conditional pick for him in hopes they can convince him to show up. Sure, anythings possible but the reality is Rodgers has all the leverage in this situation. Unless you really think they're gonna allow another Favre situation to occur
Well, what would you do in Rodgers shoes if the Jets pull out and the only team that will trade for him are...the Texans? Retire and give up almost $60M?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, what would you do in Rodgers shoes if the Jets pull out and the only team that will trade for him are...the Texans? Retire and give up almost $60M?

Return to the Packers for my 60 m...while making it known to the Texans I will retire if they trade for me

D

Deleted member 6794

Tua is a concussion away from being out of the league...the Dolphins could absolutely have been one of the teams Rodgers implied were interested along with the Raiders and Jets.

I agree that Tua's career might be in jeopardy if he suffers another concussion. I highly doubt there's a chance that could happen before the start of the regular season with Rodgers not being available at that point anymore though.

Why is there no way that Rodgers could become a Dolphin, or for that matter, a Raider or a member of a team other than the Jets or Packers?

Both the Dolphins and the Raiders have their starting quarterbacks for next season.

Guessing the Packers would just trade him for a conditional 7th rounder and let him retire a Texan then.

Why would the Texans or any other team for that matter agree to help out the Packers by doing that?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Tua's career might be in jeopardy if he suffers another concussion. I highly doubt there's a chance that could happen before the start of the regular season with Rodgers not being available at that point anymore though.

Yes you're correct its unlikely it happens before the season. But it could easily happen in the first game. The Dolphins owner is a big splash guy and getting Rodgers is exactly the kind of move he covets. A team with playoff aspirations counting on a guy who is very likely to be out of the league the next big hit he takes, doesnt seem like a good idea to me

But once again that ship has sailed, Rodgers is playing for the Jets and thats that. The time for trading him somewhere else was a couple weeks ago. And if its true he wanted to go to the Raiders but the Packers would only grant him permission to speak to the Jets...Smh thats just another move by the FO that just doesn't add up

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
if its true he wanted to go to the Raiders but the Packers would only grant him permission to speak to the Jets...Smh thats just another move by the FO that just doesn't add up

Unless I missed something, the Packers were open to trade him to any AFC team. Did he ask for permission to speak to the Raiders or vice versa? Did you hear him say that the Packers wouldn't give him permission to speak to them? Your statement appears to be one that is just meant to throw shade on the Packer FO. Would be right up there with me saying " if the Dolphins offered the Packers 4 first rounds for him, but Rodgers refused to even talk with them, another dick move by him." Don't worry, I didn't say or imply that.

Did you ever stop to think that Rodgers indecisiveness about playing each of the 3 last years, his personality, age, contract and 2022 performance actually limited the market to just 1 team with real interest in him? Because beyond any further proof to the contrary, sure seems that way to me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's so funny to me anymore when hearing folks discuss the factors each side has for why they feel he is or isn't worth what they think:

I see all of this as facts myself:

Negative Things Lowering His Value:
-Injury last year (thumb)
-Three years now not sure if he wants to retire or not (you have no clue how long he will play)
-Has stopped coming to off season items/practices unless mandatory
-The Covid PR stuff
-His perspectives/passive aggressive nature on things
-Contract/Cost

Positive Things Raising His Value:
-He is Aaron - FREAKING - Rodgers
-Him with a chip on his shoulder is something NO opponent wants to face

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mike Greenberg, a massive Jet fan and journalist, venting about The Jets fans that have negativity towards trading for Rodgers. :roflmao:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I missed something, the Packers were open to trade him to any AFC team. Did he ask for permission to speak to the Raiders or vice versa? Did you hear him say that the Packers wouldn't give him permission to speak to them? Your statement appears to be one that is just meant to throw shade on the Packer FO. Would be right up there with me saying " if the Dolphins offered the Packers 4 first rounds for him, but Rodgers refused to even talk with them, another dick move by him." Don't worry, I didn't say or imply that.

Did you ever stop to think that Rodgers indecisiveness about playing each of the 3 last years, his personality, age, contract and 2022 performance actually limited the market to just 1 team with real interest in him? Because beyond any further proof to the contrary, sure seems that way to me.
What proof do you have? Did you talk to the decision makers from the other teams?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's so funny to me anymore when hearing folks discuss the factors each side has for why they feel he is or isn't worth what they think:

-Three years now not sure if he wants to retire or not (you have no clue how long he will play)
-The Covid PR stuff
-Contract/Cost

Good list. I would add 1 thing to each.

Negative: His desire to dictate and comment on player transactions.

Positive: He keeps himself in great shape. He could play at a relatively high level, for as long as Tom Brady.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Negatives, the list of 40 year old QB's that play at a high level is extremely short. He won't be playing much longer.

Beyond that, the negatives are fun for print and fans to talk about. I don't think teams really care too much about perceived quirks. as a GM, i'm more concerned about the stud RB that can't stop drinking than I am about a darkness retreat.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-The Covid PR stuff
-Contract/Cost

He WAS Aaron F Rodgers

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
@tynimiller

Positive: He keeps himself in great shape. He could play at a relatively high level, for as long as Tom Brady.

Just guessing, but this is the part that might be holding up the trade. The Packers are wanting compensation if Rodgers plays beyond 1 season. The Jets might be only willing to give the compensation for a guy that might be 1 and done.

So his availability and non-committal beyond a season is a good and bad thing for the Jets.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Would the Jets reconsider and go after Stafford? I doubt he is even tradable now that these 2 things kicked in for him:
  • 2023 Option Bonus: $26M (must be exercised 3/15/23 - 3/17/2023, injury guaranteed at sign)
  • 2024 salary fully guarantees 3/17/2023 (injury guaranteed at sign)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, if I'm Gute I do a Post June 1 - give me Corey Davis and Carl Lawson (who we before agreeing have discussions in place for extensions on both as their in final year) + conditional futures in 2024 and 2025 depending on if Rodgers plays and how well they do. You get a starter in Corey and a starter in Lawson till Gary is back and then a rotational starter. If not Lawson contract wise make it Jeremy Ruckert.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No my statement was me repeating something I read this morning. The reason I prefaced it with "if" is because I couldn't tell if it was the reporters opinion based upon Rodgers comments on Macafee. Where one could have inferred that from Rodgers comments. Or if it was something he or she had heard from a reliable source

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly, if I'm Gute I do a Post June 1 - give me Corey Davis and Carl Lawson (who we before agreeing have discussions in place for extensions on both as their in final year) + conditional futures in 2024 and 2025 depending on if Rodgers plays and how well they do. You get a starter in Corey and a starter in Lawson till Gary is back and then a rotational starter. If not Lawson contract wise make it Jeremy Ruckert.
I wouldn't be too big of a fan of either of those guys, unless, as you stated, a new contract could be worked out. Davis has pretty much been a disappointment for a guy taken with the #5 pick in 2017. Granted, he hasn't worked with quality QB's, but it isn't like Love is an instant upgrade, that we know of.

Lawson is due to make $15M this year, so yeah, a rework would need to be done. He's had 2 major leg injuries (ACL & Achilles), but at the right price. :)

Sounds like Davis might be released at some point, but the Jets have until the final cut to do that (to save money), so guessing he is trade bait until then.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would the Jets reconsider and go after Stafford? I doubt he is even tradable now that these 2 things kicked in for him:
  • 2023 Option Bonus: $26M (must be exercised 3/15/23 - 3/17/2023, injury guaranteed at sign)
  • 2024 salary fully guarantees 3/17/2023 (injury guaranteed at sign)

Yeah hes definitely gonna play more than one season with the Jets...I get why theyre trying to maintain he wont. But its clear as day to me hes gonna play at least 2 seasons for them

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No my statement was me repeating something I read this morning. The reason I prefaced it with "if" is because I couldn't tell if it was the reporters opinion based upon Rodgers comments on Macafee. Where one could have inferred that from Rodgers comments. Or if it was something he or she had heard from a reliable source
Let's put it this way, I think everyone would be SHOCKED, if the Packers weren't doing what was reported that they were doing, accepting trade offers from any AFC team. How many teams were there that were serious about a trade? We many never know.

I did read a report by Jeremy Fowler that the trade talks with the Jets, may have started before the Super Bowl. Since Rodgers said he didn't even know what he was doing until recently, I am guessing that any trade talk was prefaced with "if he doesn't retire."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too big of a fan of either of those guys, unless, as you stated, a new contract could be worked out. Davis has pretty much been a disappointment for a guy taken with the #5 pick in 2017. Granted, he hasn't worked with quality QB's, but it isn't like Love is an instant upgrade, that we know of.

Lawson is due to make $15M this year, so yeah, a rework would need to be done. He's had 2 major leg injuries (ACL & Achilles), but at the right price. :)

Sounds like Davis might be released at some point, but the Jets have until the final cut to do that (to save money), so guessing he is trade bait until then.

Like I said though, both are proven vets and capable that are not going to steal growth or reps from our young growth types. Yes of course neither is coming unless reworked deals which honestly BOTH of them are MASSIVE savings to the cap and SHOCKED Jets haven't cut or reworked. Those two alone are worth a savings of over $23M

Also sorry you're not being fair to Lawson IMO, last year he played in 16 games, started 15 and produced 7 sacks on 628 snaps. Instantly makes our edges better and more capable to handle Gary perhaps missing some time early.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
knowing you're going to play in an offense you're comfortable with at this stage of a career is important. None of them are leaving to go learn a new offensive system when they're 40 and no team is going to trade for the opportunity to teach someone a new system either at that point.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Negatives, the list of 40 year old QB's that play at a high level is extremely short. He won't be playing much longer.

Beyond that, the negatives are fun for print and fans to talk about. I don't think teams really care too much about perceived quirks. as a GM, i'm more concerned about the stud RB that can't stop drinking than I am about a darkness retreat.
Your negative is the main, and possibly only, reason he is viewed as having so little value. Most assume he will only play one year (two tops). In other words, a “one season rental.” And given that the Jets OL is suspect, it’s questionable whether he‘ll even be able to play a complete season. Lurking around one of their fan message boards, I would say a good number of fans would prefer the deal falling through than risking giving up too much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
knowing you're going to play in an offense you're comfortable with at this stage of a career is important. None of them are leaving to go learn a new offensive system when they're 40 and no team is going to trade for the opportunity to teach someone a new system either at that point.
I think he sees a team that’s built to Win if he elevates the Offense some. While some think that NY is doomed with or without Rodgers, I believe Rodgers and Lazard plus 1-2 more additions on Offense has them easily top 15 rated Offensively. Possibly 10th ranked area.
Then add to that the Jets Defense was #4 last season and much of that Carries forward and it spells success. Even in that relatively tough division I think he could go 4-2 or 3-3. The other 11 games I’d have them 8-3 area.

Other than the Bills (2X)
Eagles (1) and KC (1) Maybe Miami (2X) or Chargers (1)

I don’t see another team that looks scary enough to threaten a Rodgers led Jets.
Browns
Falcons
Raiders
Broncos

Really that Division will be out on notice and I think the Jets would go 1-1 against The Bills and 3-1 against Miami/Patriots. They also play 9 home games which is a +

I see a 12-5 record in an “above average strength” AFC Division.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts