Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting take

Agreed with the take. Make Rodgers flinch, if he doesn't, then let him take the beating by not getting paid this year and trade his *** next March.

Personally, I think he already tried and failed to draw the line in the sand by not showing up to OTA's. However, so that he doesn't lose money ($35M) or the season, his next move will be to go after some kind of agreement with the Packers of "ok, I will show up and play in 2021, if you guarantee my freedom after the season". I hope they tell him "No Thanks, we will take the $30+M savings, and trade you in March, if and when we decide that is best for the team and are good and ready to do it on our terms."

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Question: If Rodgers doesn't show up for anything(Fails to report), but doesn't officially retire, can the Packers get a Roster exemption for him or do they have to carry him on the 53? I would think they would get an exemption, because if he is on the 53, wouldn't that mean they would have to pay him? Steelers got an exemption on Bell, but that was because he refused to sign his franchise tag.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting take

This sentence from that article stood out to me:
"Either way, they can trade him in March 2022 (if they choose to do so). If they do, they’ll get players and/or picks in the 2022 draft."

Letting Rodgers sit out, and then trading him early next year, could have some benefits. Specifically, they would know how good of a draft pick they would be getting. As opposed to trading him now for some first rounders, and then having Rodgers go to that team and helping them improve their record. Which would result in lower draft picks.

The bad thing is maybe Rodgers sits out and decides he likes being away from football, and retires permanently. Maybe he likes his new life as permanent Jeopardy host, or helping Favre mow his lawn, or whatever.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he likes his new life as permanent Jeopardy host...
He currently sits as the 3rd highest ratings-draw temporary host behind Ken Jennings and producer Mike Richards (& just barely ahead of Katie Couric who was not very good). IMHO Rodgers won't be offered the gig, it'll go to one of those two or possibly someone who's ratings haven't come back, yet (M. Bialik or L. Burton)...so that option should be off the table for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only on workable option I see is a kick the can down the road one.Do they get Rodgers to come in and play tis year under the same circumstances?
Then going to be right where we are now a year from now?

I would hope they don't just "kick the can and wait and see". Rodgers has to decide if he is "All in or out". If his heart and mind isn't in Green Bay, I doubt another season, one full of speculation and whispering, is going to change his mind or more importantly, benefit the organization. The Packers can't let this turn into another Favre Fiasco and just hope it goes away.

If they are holding a hard line of what they won't do "special" for Rodgers, then they have to hold the same hard line on what they won't allow Rodgers to do to them and that would be allow him to string this out too much longer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This sentence from that article stood out to me:
"Either way, they can trade him in March 2022 (if they choose to do so). If they do, they’ll get players and/or picks in the 2022 draft."

Letting Rodgers sit out, and then trading him early next year, could have some benefits. Specifically, they would know how good of a draft pick they would be getting. As opposed to trading him now for some first rounders, and then having Rodgers go to that team and helping them improve their record. Which would result in lower draft picks.

The bad thing is maybe Rodgers sits out and decides he likes being away from football, and retires permanently. Maybe he likes his new life as permanent Jeopardy host, or helping Favre mow his lawn, or whatever.
5 scenarios off the top of my head:

1. Rodgers wakes up and wonders WTF he has been doing and returns to finish out his contract/career with the Packers.

2. Rodgers holds firm and retires

3. Rodgers holds firm, doesn't play and is traded at some point between now and March 2022.

4. Rodgers begrudgingly reports, plays a season and we are right back to the same situation.

5. Packers and Rodgers agree that he will play one more season and be traded at the end of it.

I think option 3 with a either "right now" if the Trade haul is really good or you watch him sit, save over $30M and trade him in 2022 for better known what their value are 2022 draft assets and players.

I don't like the "he plays one more year and we trade him after" option. You still have the distraction, the loss of over $30M and risk a bad injury. I also think if he has one foot out the door, its not a good situation for the team in 2021.

Reaction score
I understand the argument trying to save our Star QB, but it’s all about $$. Not if we like Aaron Rodgers or value his play. Anyone can say “buy Aaron at any cost!” Not everyone can open their pocket book and back up their proposal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I understand the argument trying to save our Star QB, but it’s all about $$. Not if we like Aaron Rodgers or value his play. Anyone can say “buy Aaron at any cost!” Not everyone can open their pocket book and back up their proposal.
When this first went down, I was kind of on the fence as to giving him more money, but would have understood it, if that was all he wanted/was bothered by. However, this seems to run far deeper than just money and when you start talking about your philosophy doesn't match that of the organizations, I just don't see how that gets fixed to the full satisfaction of everyone. Would be one thing to say "I want better communication and a small raise". That is probably more doable for the Packers. But nobody, including AR, is suddenly going to change their philosophies over night, be it a business or person.

I liked Greg's point. Aaron needs to stop playing mind games and just be upfront and say he is in or he is out. If he is in, what does he need to make that happen to be happy? If it can't be fixed, then be a fricking man about it and tell the Packers you are 100% done (maybe he has?). As Florio referred to in a conversation with Chris Simms, Aarons passive aggressive BS is one thing, but when he gets mad about people misinterpreting his very cryptic and guarded messages, that is on Aaron.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When this first went down, I was kind of on the fence as to giving him more money, but would have understood it, if that was all he wanted/was bothered by. However, this seems to run far deeper than just money and when you start talking about your philosophy doesn't match that of the organizations, I just don't see how that gets fixed to the full satisfaction of everyone. Would be one thing to say "I want better communication and a small raise". That is probably more doable for the Packers. But nobody, including AR, is suddenly going to change their philosophies over night, be it a business or person.

I liked Greg's point. Aaron needs to stop playing mind games and just be upfront and say he is in or he is out. If he is in, what does he need to make that happen to be happy? If it can't be fixed, then be a fricking man about it and tell the Packers you are 100% done (maybe he has?). As Florio referred to in a conversation with Chris Simms, Aarons passive aggressive BS is one thing, but when he gets mad about people misinterpreting his very cryptic and guarded messages, that is on Aaron.
Yep. At first I just thought he was trying to get a reasonable offer going so he could get his head back into the game, knowing he was here past 1 season
But now it’s looking more and more like this there’s long standing resentments. Aaron had allowed this to get near circus like by not coming forward and setting things straight. For a HOF QB he sure lacks the ability to communicate effectively. He or his corner.
The longer this transpires the more I am beginning to see that Aaron does not have a winning hand in the matter.
There’s a best case and worst case with him departing from acquiring resources for him. However if his goal is to damage the organization as a whole? The best case is putting as much space between him and us. We may very possibly have a QB who can throw 25 TD’s to 12INT type range in year 1 just sitting in the shadows at 3.3mil + an extra $30mil
That’s a ton of dough and if we trade Adams even more for a mini rebuilt. Let them stay home and sulk like babies together. Until they realize how much a lost season costs them. Tens of millions and years of no contract.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when you start talking about your philosophy doesn't match that of the organizations

Honestly, I'm not convinced the team has done everything they could have to win, so sometimes I question their philosophy too. Nothing like what Aaron is doing though.

The longer this transpires the more I am beginning to see that Aaron does not have a winning hand in the matter.
If we call his bluff and make him sit, then we miss out on the goodies we'd get for trading him. On the other hand, I feel like if he sits out, screw him. So there's conflicting thoughts there. Reminds me a little of Le'Veon Bell, and that's not a good thing.

Reaction score
Jennings was closer to the truth all along than many were willing to admit.
Honestly, I'm not convinced the team has done everything they could have to win, so sometimes I question their philosophy too. Nothing like what Aaron is doing though.

If we call his bluff and make him sit, then we miss out on the goodies we'd get for trading him. On the other hand, I feel like if he sits out, screw him. So there's conflicting thoughts there. Reminds me a little of Le'Veon Bell, and that's not a good thing.
I initially thought that also. I just read we can trade him anytime before the 2022 draft (Next March). If he doesn’t play we can recoup up to $35mil (approx) for this season

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fully agree. We all know the story at WR

If we call his bluff and make him sit, then we miss out on the goodies we'd get for trading him.

Nope. We will just delay getting those goodies (players) a season. Any draft pics wouldn't be delayed at all and the bonus of waiting, you know what the 2022 picks are worth.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Rodgers needing to say what’s bothering him:

By all accounts, he has. He has told the people that matter. They know what the problem(s) is(are). Does he need to tell the fans everything? No. Are we owed that? No.

The media types of course will push for it because it gives them more to talk about it, but the same people that complain about the drama complain that Rodgers hasn’t told everybody about everything. You can’t have it both ways!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure you can. If all the info was out there, there wouldn't be any drama. People would have different opinions, but that's not drama.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should have won the SB 4 months ago. He had the #5 yardage offense and the #1 scoring offense. What more does he need offensively? The defense provided three second half interceptions and we punted after two of them. I don't give two ***** what a guy does in the regular season. If he fails to show up when it matters most, that's far more important. If he wants to walk, get him out of here and move on without the constant distractions. Does anyone really believe if they appease him now he won't pull the same **** next year over something else? It's like spoiling a child.
A defense th doesn’t constantly give up 30+ points in important playoff games, one more offensive guy that is not a JAG? Someone who would be a starter type on any team and not just because Rodgers is their QB

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sure you can. If all the info was out there, there wouldn't be any drama. People would have different opinions, but that's not drama.
Exactly and well said. This echo's what Florio and Simms said the other day. Basically it was "You can't have it both ways Aaron. That of being passive aggressive with your cryptic messages and then wonder why people aren't exactly correct when trying to connect the dots." Rodgers has made himself a public figure, if he wants to shut up and stay silent, then do so. But the B.S. stuff that Florio was referring to needs to stop then. Rodgers has it in his power to put an end to all the drama, just report or be very clear with everyone why you aren't going to. Why doesn't he want to do that? Because if he did, he gives up his power.

Anyone thinking that Aaron has probably been clear to the Packer organization and that is all he has to do, aren't paying very close attention to what is happening. None of his friends, teammates or coaches seem to know what he is doing and whether he plans on showing up. How is that being clear to the people he needs to be clear with?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m totally ready to move on from Rodgers. If we get some swag for him all the better. If he quits football that’s fine too.They carried Favre out on his shield...anyone with any sense KNEW thst’s how that guy was wired... Rodgers is acting like (he always has), an junior high girl... I’m ready to watch the TEAM regardless of who’s at QB. It’s hil-AIR-ious that Rodgers talks about “legacy”...

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m totally ready to move on from Rodgers. If we get some swag for him all the better. If he quits football that’s fine too.They carried Favre out on his shield...anyone with any sense KNEW thst’s how that guy was wired... Rodgers is acting like (he always has), an junior high girl... I’m ready to watch the TEAM regardless of who’s at QB. It’s hil-AIR-ious that Rodgers talks about “legacy”...
If it comes to that, I'm okay with it. What are we going to get with Rodgers, lose another NFCCG?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing how many butt hurt fans there are all because a guy is standing up for what he wants. Welcome to the new world, it is not 1950 anymore, thankfully. The Packers organization is not some mythical Unicorn from Atlantis. They have flaws just like individual people including apparently not knowing anything about employee relationships.

Yes Rodgers is being a tool, so is the organization. And if you think both parties don’t share equal blame in this situation then you are delusional.

And if the Packers don’t either get Rodgers back to the team or trade him before training camp then both Murphy and Gute deserve to be fired. And the latter scenario is likely what needs to be happen because I doubt Aaron is concerned with them trying to play hardball, he doesn’t need the Packers he has made his money and if unhappy with his job there is 0 incentive for him to return.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope.... pay back a big chunk of your bonus, forfeit big salaries, quit, act like a jr high girl, and cement your legacy... as a careee under achieving whining drama queen... I saw this coming from the get go

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope.... pay back a big chunk of your bonus, forfeit big salaries, quit, act like a jr high girl, and cement your legacy... as a careee under achieving whining drama queen... I saw this coming from the get go
Yep. He acted like a child on draft night, became smugly sarcastic post-Favre, became egotistical, was called out by teammates for being a poor leader, started creating drama by dodging questions, and now he's a mix of everything.

I wouldn't put up with that even if he signed the vet minimum

Members online