Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great football player, one of the best to play the game, but I'm fine with him leaving. Not because I think he can't still be a really solid QB, but because he is no longer a team player. When I say "team", I mean the entire organization, not just his teammates.

Hasnt been a team player the whole time

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, what would you do in Rodgers shoes if the Jets pull out and the only team that will trade for him are...the Texans? Retire and give up almost $60M?
Deep in the heart of Texas. I cannot see the Jets pulling out. That is why Gute has to play some hardball. If the Jets do not get Rodgers their media will make their lives even more miserable.

Reaction score
Deep in the heart of Texas. I cannot see the Jets pulling out. That is why Gute has to play some hardball. If the Jets do not get Rodgers their media will make their lives even more miserable.
This is purely my gut opinion. But I think as long as The Jets are able to keep their #13? ..I think they will stay in this trade and not let Rodgers walk. They know that two 2nd Rounders is not too much for Aaron Rodgers. They might not want to give up big capital next season unless Rodgers plays, which is fine. If they do both 2nds now? I’d go easy on that future stuff in the mold of we get a 2025, Day 3 selection if he plays in at least 2 seasons for NY

I think they’re already offering #42 overall. I just don’t think they’ll walk Rodgers over an extra #43 overall selection (if we keep the future stuff minimal). If he walks after 1 year I’d kick NY a 2025, 6th rounder as an olive branch to get this thing behind us.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Now Z...they did do him dirty in a similar fashion. I get by rule they are allowed to convert his base to signing bonus to save against the cap. A simple restructure. However the whole then not paying that money out right away but instead paying it out weekly through out the season. Is certainly disingenuous at best. Once again I get the contract allows them to do that. Its just not the right way to do buisness.

I don't have any issue with the Packers having paid Z like that. In the end he received the same amount of money.

I understand that some might view the Packers way of living up to the terms of a contract might be "troubling", but they are doing things that a contract allows them to do. Don't like it, don't sign it. Don't understand it, get it explained. There are reasons why contracts give flexibility for a team, same as there are reasons why players want guaranteed money.

It's strange that you side with the team when they do things a contract allows them to but once players do the same thing criticize them for it.

Others might have said it, but I have been saying all along that anything tied to a future draft pick, has to have the chance to already happen (Rodgers plays in 2024) before the contingency of, can be completed (draft pick). Obviously, language could be used to state just about anything. "If Rodgers plans on playing in 2024, the Packers get a 2nd round pick in the 2024 draft. However, if Rodgers retires or does not play in 2024 and the draft pick has been used by the Packers, the Jets receive the Packers 2025 2nd round pick." Add in all the legal "therefore, quashal, aliquot, usurious, objectionable, art thou, wherein ther's" and you have an airtight deal that only 2 drunk lawyers could decipher during a 5 day darkness retreat on the other side of Brokeback mountain.

I'm convinced Rodgers will make a decision on if he wants to play in 2024 long before the draft. Just like he did over the past two years as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you, but there is always that risk that they do and I am sure it is something that Gute has to consider.

Either team could switch gears and go a different direction. For the Jets, that probably means finding another QB, Lamar Jackson for example. For the Packers, it is finding another trade partner, like the 49'ers. What are the chances of either of those things happening? Probably low, but I would say higher for the Jets, if I was placing odds on it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any issue with the Packers having paid Z like that. In the end he received the same amount of money.

Haha thats cool, you got a little Mark Murphy in you hey

Its not a signing bonus if you dont pay it out in a lump sum. Its like the Lottery saying you can take the annuity or the lump sum but even if you take the lump sum were gonna pay it out yearly or whatever it is

If they wanted to pay out in that way, he should have gotten more money not the same amount. And you do realize that getting all that money at once is more valuable than getting it over time, right? Thats why you get less when you take the lump sum and more when you take the annuity

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Haha thats cool, you got a little Mark Murphy in you hey

Its not a signing bonus if you dont pay it out in a lump sum. Its like the Lottery saying you can take the annuity or the lump sum but even if you take the lump sum were gonna pay it out yearly or whatever it is

If they wanted to pay out in that way, he should have gotten more money not the same amount. And you do realize that getting all that money at once is more valuable than getting it over time, right? Thats why you get less when you take the lump sum and more when you take the annuity
Actually, it depends on your tax bracket and financial situation in a given year, whether all or some is best.

As far as what the Packers did, call it what you want, but contractually, it was allowed. If Z Dog didn't like it, then he never should have signed that contract.

The Packer FO has a tough job of deciding between players feelings and what is best for the entire team. The people that keep bringing up individual examples of "ways in which the Packers did a player wrong", probably haven't looked at both sides of the coin. Also, if you really think that the FO sits down and says "hey, what can we do to really **** off this player", again, IMO you aren't looking at the big picture.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, it depends on your tax bracket and financial situation in a given year, whether all or some is best.

As far as what the Packers did, call it what you want, but contractually, it was allowed. If Z Dog didn't like it, then he never should have signed that contract.

The Packer FO has a tough job of deciding between players feelings and what is best for the entire team. The people that keep bringing up individual examples of "ways in which the Packers did a player wrong", probably haven't looked at both sides of the coin. Also, if you really think that the FO sits down and says "hey, what can we do to really **** off this player", again, IMO you aren't looking at the big picture.

I was speaking from an inflation buying power standpoint. The money you get at the beginning of the year is likely to be worrh more than what you get at the end. I didn't think about taxes and obviously that would have an impact

I dont think they intentionally try to **** players off. I think theyre in different to doing the right thing on a human level which I suppose buisness the way we know it largely is.

Paying that money weekly did nothing to help the team at all. The Packers are not a cash poor team they had plenty in their reserves to pay it. Its not like they paid Z weekly so they had the cash reserves to pay another player to help the team. They did it becas contractually, they could.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Paying that money weekly did nothing to help the team at all. The Packers are not a cash poor team they had plenty in their reserves to pay it. Its not like they paid Z weekly so they had the cash reserves to pay another player to help the team. They did it becas contractually, they could.
Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that they did it to help with the Cap., which in turn benefits the team.

Reaction score
Either team could switch gears and go a different direction. For the Jets, that probably means finding another QB, Lamar Jackson for example. For the Packers, it is finding another trade partner, like the 49'ers. What are the chances of either of those things happening? Probably low, but I would say higher for the Jets, if I was placing odds on it.
Like you said I think it’s low odds. For ever reason we can all surmise why neither party should do this or that in this trade, there’s an equal number of reasons they should definitely come to an agreement.

On the Packers side and as much as this trade has had a negative light shed on it (because we live in a ME NOW world), it’s really a fantastic situation. GB gets to transition to their pick at QB. GB spent a couple of valuable draft picks, valuable cap space and sacrificed heavily. They turned away from the preferred method of going after a different draft prospect Avenue and getting “immediate benefit” and short term gains. They bet on a riskier Avenue that their investment would grow into a medium to longer term player who gave back exceptional dividends for years to come.

On NY side. How many times does a team even get to trade for a player of Rodgers caliber? We could bring up names like Stafford or Wilson, but we can easily argue those a more at best “near elite” QB’s. The only trades in recent history I can think of close to Rodgers’ stature are Tom Brady in 2020 and maybe Peyton Manning in 2012. This level of opportunity only arguably happens about once or twice each decade.
Both parties should be seeing this as an amazing development in team building and thanking God that this deal is even a possibility, imo.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They knew they were likely moving on from him or a restructure. It took away his guarantee for the next year by making him expendable cap wise. It was no change to his net money, but it's not exactly true they made him wait long because they could. He wasn't going to get it up front anyway. It was salary converted to bonus. and he ended up getting 10M up front the other 4M paid out thru the season. He was going to earn it thru the season anyway had it not been converted to a bonus.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like you said I think it’s low odds. For ever reason we can all surmise why neither party should do this or that in this trade, there’s an equal number of reasons they should definitely come to an agreement.

On the Packers side and as much as this trade has had a negative light shed on it (because we live in a ME NOW world), it’s really a fantastic situation. GB gets to transition to their pick at QB. GB spent a couple of valuable draft picks, valuable cap space and sacrificed heavily. They turned away from the preferred method of going after a different draft prospect Avenue and getting “immediate benefit” and short term gains. They bet on a riskier Avenue that their investment would grow into a medium to longer term player who gave back exceptional dividends for years to come.

On NY side. How many times does a team even get to trade for a player of Rodgers caliber? We could bring up names like Stafford or Wilson, but we can easily argue those a more at best “near elite” QB’s. The only trades in recent history I can think of close to Rodgers’ stature are Tom Brady in 2020 and maybe Peyton Manning in 2012. This level of opportunity only arguably happens about once each decade (or more) Yet we have a bunch of whiners on the NY complaining like they are getting a bad deal? Really! They should be thanking God that this deal is even a possibility imo.
I just thought of one side, that we haven't discussed and that could totally change everything. That is the edge of the coin....Aaron Rodgers. What if suddenly he decides to retire or changes his mind on becoming a Jet?

Reaction score
I just thought of one side, that we haven't discussed and that could totally change everything. That is the edge of the coin....Aaron Rodgers. What if suddenly he decides to retire or changes his mind on becoming a Jet?
Good point. This is how I see that going down

look up the YouTube scene from Planes, Trains and Automobiles “an Fing car scene. It’s got some cussing so be warned.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that they did it to help with the Cap., which in turn benefits the team.

Haha no, you misunderstood.

They converted his base to signing bonus and then paid it out weekly.

His base would be the number divided by 18 weeks or whatever it is now. To get his weekly pay. Signing bonus is money you get lump sum. Signing bonus can be prorated over the length of the contract. Base hits the cap all at once.

So yes it helped the teams cap but then they still paid it out weekly instead of on the date they got the cap savings as a lump sum/signing bonus

This is why Zadarius Smith got upset with the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Haha no, you misunderstood.

They converted his base to signing bonus and then paid it out weekly.

His base would be the number divided by 18 weeks or whatever it is now. To get his weekly pay. Signing bonus is money you get lump sum. Signing bonus can be prorated over the length of the contract. Base hits the cap all at once.

So yes it helped the teams cap but then they still paid it out weekly instead of on the date they got the cap savings as a lump sum/signing bonus

This is why Zadarius Smith got upset with the Packers
You might want to read this about his contract "unhappiness". Again, I view his contract unhappiness with him not knowing what he signed and possibly him not agreeing with the Packers rationale for doing it.

His bigger unhappiness was what he said was poor treatment by the Packers when he had a back injury, MLF disputed that.

Z Dog is now saying he is unhappy in Minnesota and wants to be released, they haven't complied yet.

Reaction score
You might want to read this about his contract "unhappiness". Again, I view his contract unhappiness with him not knowing what he signed and possibly him not agreeing with the Packers rationale for doing it.

His bigger unhappiness was what he said was poor treatment by the Packers when he had a back injury, MLF disputed that.

Z Dog is now saying he is unhappy in Minnesota and wants to be released, they haven't complied yet.
I used to think Z was a nice guy. That move he played on Aaron Jones during a game was low class. As been said before, I don’t feel a whole lotta financial compassion for guys making $10Mil+ a tear. I mean year.

Cry me a River. Many of these guys can be so thankless, the old victim act. Give me a break.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might want to read this about his contract "unhappiness". Again, I view his contract unhappiness with him not knowing what he signed and possibly him not agreeing with the Packers rationale for doing so.

"However, the soon-to-be 29-year-old rusher is also irked at the Packers for not paying out his new bonus in March, Florio adds. The team will instead pay it in installments throughout the season, making this new structure similar to a base salary."

Directly out of the article you linked...they didn't have to pay it out that way to get the cap savings. The contract language allowed for that type of payment but it had nothing to do with cap savings. They got the cap savings either way lump sum or installments

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"However, the soon-to-be 29-year-old rusher is also irked at the Packers for not paying out his new bonus in March, Florio adds. The team will instead pay it in installments throughout the season, making this new structure similar to a base salary."

Directly out of the article you linked...they didn't have to pay it out that way to get the cap savings. The contract language allowed for that type of payment but it had nothing to do with cap savings. They got the cap savings either way lump sum or installments
Keep reading....."The restructure moved money onto next year’s Packers cap sheet".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I used to think Z was a nice guy. That move he played on Aaron Jones during a game was low class. As been said before, I don’t feel a whole lotta financial compassion for guys making $10Mil+ a tear. I mean year.

Cry me a River. Many of these guys can be so thankless, the old victim act. Give me a break.
I get a players frustration if the payments aren't made, as they envisioned them. However, be frustrated with that agent you paid a ton of money to, not the organization that is paying you millions and following the terms of the contract that you signed. There is a reason for clauses like that, a team wants to maintain some flexibility when it comes to cap charges. The Packers have been doing for years, nothing new Z.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep reading....."The restructure moved money onto next year’s Packers cap sheet".

Dude thats what happens when you do a simple restructure. Base to Signing bonus. Base is not prorated Signing bonus is thats how you free up space on the current years cap...

Are you fcking with me

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts